Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 2915
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silva - Villa.......ooops.

Villa got 18. Truth be told, goals per 90 they were really close. .65 compared to .64.

My point is people are on him because of his wage, which is pointless. Per his salary cap hit, he does the job. If he ends up with 7 goals this season, then he's not worth it.

13+, I'm OK. More then 15 - bonus time.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-25-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    You might want to look at those numbers again.

Altidore last year avg a goal every 145mins

Gilberto at Portugesea avg a goal every 138mins
    Gilberto at the Fire avg a goal every 136mins
    Gilberto played as the primary striker. Jozy took very few shots compared to Giovinco. It's not apples to apples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto with Giovinco would be a thing to watch, his work rate alone would open up Gio.

Time will tell though, if not for Altidore's injuries I would go with Altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are bullshit stats.

What was goal per minute in the Brazilian Serie A last year?

If you're going to cherry pick Gilberto's Portuguesa season, might as well include Altidore's AZ season's as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    These are bullshit stats.

What was goal per minute in the Brazilian Serie A last year?

If you're going to cherry pick Gilberto's Portuguesa season, might as well include Altidore's AZ season's as well.
    You may want to re-read the original parameters that Ultra laid out then "Gilberto hasn't come close to what Altidore managed last year (GPM) in his career yet and no guarantee that he ever will."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Gilberto played as the primary striker. Jozy took very few shots compared to Giovinco. It's not apples to apples.
    Re-read the original comment "Gilberto hasn't come close to what Altidore managed last year (GPM) in his career yet and no guarantee that he ever will.

We are comparing Goals per min.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may want to re-read the original parameters that Ultra laid out then "Gilberto hasn't come close to what Altidore managed last year (GPM) in his career yet and no guarantee that he ever will."
    Fair enough, I take that back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto did better last year than I thought, albeit with a small sample size, but your Altidore math is off. 13 goals in 1796 minutes is 1 goal every 138 minutes. Forgot we gifted Gilberto him a brace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Altidore. I think he can be a force in this league. I think he had a mediocre season last year, so given that he still scored 13 goals, that should tell you what I think about his value.

But if he can't crack 25 starts this year I would seriously look into moving him (unless he scores at an incredible rate). In a salary cap world you need your best players to play. Altidore started 22 last year (and had 4 games off the bench). That's 8 games missing our biggest threat in the box for the match and 4 more where we missed it from the start. In a league with this much parity, that hurts a lot. Even beyond a results perspective, it helps the team build chemistry to have the same guys always available in those key areas.

I'm not nailing in the coffin on his season by any means but it is concerning that he spent the offseason trying to prepare his body better for the upcoming year and immediately suffers the same problem injury he's always had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On an entirely separate note, still waiting for something to happen re: our salary cap situation. We're supposedly still over the cap. If nothing happens with Moore soon I expect we trade a CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Gilberto did better last year than I thought, albeit with a small sample size, but your Altidore math is off. 13 goals in 1796 minutes is 1 goal every 138 minutes. Forgot we gifted Gilberto him a brace.
    I'm going off the numbers here http://ca.soccerway.com/players/josm...altidore/7422/ which on second look appears to include playoff mins.

Having said that Jozy's a goal every 138mins last season is equal to Gils season at Portugesea so your original comment is still off base.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..Having said that Jozy's a goal every 138mins last season is equal to Gils season at Portugesea so your original comment is still off base.
    Does Gilberto's season at Portugesea include that State level Cup where top teams basically beat up on the equivalent of PDL teams?

(That's what happened last season with Vasco)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Does Gilberto's season at Portugesea include that State level Cup where top teams basically beat up on the equivalent of PDL teams?

(That's what happened last season with Vasco)
    No, he had 14 goals in 1936 Serie A mins for Portugesea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I like Altidore. I think he can be a force in this league. I think he had a mediocre season last year, so given that he still scored 13 goals, that should tell you what I think about his value.

But if he can't crack 25 starts this year I would seriously look into moving him (unless he scores at an incredible rate). In a salary cap world you need your best players to play. Altidore started 22 last year (and had 4 games off the bench). That's 8 games missing our biggest threat in the box for the match and 4 more where we missed it from the start. In a league with this much parity, that hurts a lot. Even beyond a results perspective, it helps the team build chemistry to have the same guys always available in those key areas.

I'm not nailing in the coffin on his season by any means but it is concerning that he spent the offseason trying to prepare his body better for the upcoming year and immediately suffers the same problem injury he's always had.
    Altidore is going to benefit form a full off season this year. So will Seba. Both should be better on the field after some proper rest.

I think its too easy to compare Altidore's goal total to Seba's last year. 13 goals in a first season with a team and first season back in a league is a good total. But we compare to Seba who really had a worldie of a first season in MLS. How many players are ever going to come to the league and have a record goals and assists total in their first season? That is a once in ten year stat at best.

I expect Altidore to have better stats this year, but lets not compare to Seba. 15 plus goals in a season is a pretty good total, although I think he may get somewhere in the range of 15 to 20 with a full season under his belt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Altidore is going to benefit form a full off season this year. So will Seba. Both should be better on the field after some proper rest.

I think its too easy to compare Altidore's goal total to Seba's last year. 13 goals in a first season with a team and first season back in a league is a good total. But we compare to Seba who really had a worldie of a first season in MLS. How many players are ever going to come to the league and have a record goals and assists total in their first season? That is a once in ten year stat at best.

I expect Altidore to have better stats this year, but lets not compare to Seba. 15 plus goals in a season is a pretty good total, although I think he may get somewhere in the range of 15 to 20 with a full season under his belt.
    Not comparing him to Seba's production, did you think I said goals? I'm just talking about games played. Altidore needs to play in more games for us to be worth that DP slot (unless he's scoring at a near goal to game ratio as I said).

Giovinco's production was obviously incredible but just as important was that he only missed 1 game. It helps the team develop a rhythm, we didn't need to constantly adjust to playing with or without Seba. I'd like the same for Altidore because having him up top really changes the look of our team.
    Last edited by notthesun; 02-25-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Altidore is going to benefit form a full off season this year.
    Dude, he just injured his hamstring again and is out. This makes no sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Dude, he just injured his hamstring again and is out. This makes no sense.
    Neither Seba nor Alitdore had an off season before they came here. Both basically did an 18 month season. Yes, both didn't play that much before they got here but training is training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither Seba nor Alitdore had an off season before they came here. Both basically did an 18 month season. Yes, both didn't play that much before they got here but training is training.
    You're missing what I'm saying. He's saying this year will benefit them, having an offseason. I'm saying the offseason is over, and it did fuck all to benefit Altidore, because for all his work he's in the same spot he spent last half season, with his injured ass glued to a bench.

If he scores 13-15 again this year I'll be happy, even if it is on 21 shots. But anything less and the combo of injuries, lack of effort and cost should get us someone more reliable.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The benefit of time off over the off season is not all lost with this injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    You're missing what I'm saying. He's saying this year will benefit them, having an offseason. I'm saying the offseason is over, and it did fuck all to benefit Altidore, because for all his work he's in the same spot he spent last half season, with his injured ass glued to a bench.

If he scores 13-15 again this year I'll be happy, even if it is on 21 shots. But anything less and the combo of injuries, lack of effort and cost should get us someone more reliable.
    Should be said that this was called hamstring tightness, not an injury yet. It's all precautionary right now. His history of these things is worrisome but I'm not throwing up my arms until I see he isn't good to go for a chunk of the season or if he rushes back and really fucks himself up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The benefit of time off over the off season is not all lost with this injury.
    Yes, exactly.

Players can get injured at any time. But one injury doesn't make a season out. Altidore isn't having a Darren Anderton (aka 'Sicknote') career just yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On an entirely separate note, still waiting for something to happen re: our salary cap situation. We're supposedly still over the cap. If nothing happens with Moore soon I expect we trade a CB.
    Given that Jozy has already managed to injure his hamstring yet again, in training, after claiming a fitness revolution, I think having a target man in Moore who can play in the middle of a 4-3-3 is a good option. I expect a CB to be moved if there is a cap issue. I trust Perquis' health more than I trust Jozy's, which is actually quite sad.
    Last edited by Bobo; 02-25-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shouldn't forget that Jozy & Bradley just went through a month of Klinsman's torture camp. I'm sure that has taken a toll of some kind on each. I watched that documentary on his training methods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Shouldn't forget that Jozy & Bradley just went through a month of Klinsman's torture camp. I'm sure that has taken a toll of some kind on each. I watched that documentary on his training methods.
    And Jozy did come out of one last year with hammy tightness too. Maybe nothing. Have to wait and see, I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or Jozy.

Both Gomez and Moore have shown that they can play effectively with Gio. Obviously Jozy is a force but if we are talking over all team balance in a salary cap world it could make sense to see him moved and those two rotated.

i like Jozy and I hope he stays and is healthy. But I would not be shocked if was moved.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 02-25-2016 at 08:02 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    or Jozy.

This would be the speculation thing, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be the speculation thing, right?
    Yes, of course. But that's allowed in the thread....

It makes sense on lots of levels. He could be very valuable for a USbased team, we need cap relief, we have decent backups, and with him and Gio we have to play variants of 4-4-2 with two upfront who don't defend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Moore just got waived.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how that works but im ok with it, thought he was useful and didnt mind hiim as depth but dont disagree with him moving on and kids getting a chance

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Not sure how that works but im ok with it, thought he was useful and didnt mind hiim as depth but dont disagree with him moving on and kids getting a chance
    I will be curious to see what the deal with the cap due just releasing him is?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!