Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 2915
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The poster boy for the big man who plays small? In a 4-3-3 with Seba and Endoh? He'd be beyond useless.
    Would not surprise me on something short term, cover for the Copa/Euro.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The poster boy for the big man who plays small? In a 4-3-3 with Seba and Endoh? He'd be beyond useless.
    You throw in Babouli up front at 5'9", that'd be an interesting forward lineup. And as much as I'd like that to work (as a pretty short person myself), it's a bit of a stretch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a fan on the first part of the move, but let's see what's happening with the second part.....if there's one.

Also why do this 4 days prior to the opener? How can the team concentrate when players and tactics keep changing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khso11 View Post
    Also why do this 4 days prior to the opener? How can the team concentrate when players and tactics keep changing.
    According to Larson they were trying to workout some kind of deal restructuring but talks broke down recently so they just decided to waive him outright. Maybe they were confident that they could get something done?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    According to Larson they were trying to workout some kind of deal restructuring but talks broke down recently so they just decided to waive him outright. Maybe they were confident that they could get something done?
    Hopefully that's the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can the team concentrate when players and tactics keep changing.
    It's their Job? Players come and go all the time, and players are expected to keep multiple sets of tactical instructions and responsibilities in their heads at the same time. They're not idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    It's their Job? Players come and go all the time, and players are expected to keep multiple sets of tactical instructions and responsibilities in their heads at the same time. They're not idiots.
    Not really saying they're idiots, but I still think losing somebody significant in the locker room could bring down the morale of the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel sorry for Herc, he never really had much of a chance to show his talents. I hope for Bez's sake that he has something up his sleeve because come June the best case scenario is losing Jozy and Bradley for 1 game and worst case we lose them for the entire month and Seba 6 or 7 games. If we can't find a way to put the ball in the net during that time, surely it will be his head on the chopping block.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Gomez thing bugs me. This is not the way to handle it. The guy is an accomplished veteran, he deseved better. Let him go in the offseason when there is an opportunity to properly catch on elsewhere. This is not the week to "consider loan and trade options".

They got cute about Moore too. They are not having straightforward dealings with these guys. The Kantari signing and then buyout was a horror show, something they didn't measure the risk on properly at the beginning, of course.

Not loving the non DP international cap/roster management that is going on, or not going on.

I bet Manning is torqued. I wish someone would try to get his quote on this.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-02-2016 at 07:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This Gomez thing bugs me. This is not the way to handle it. The guy is an accomplished veteran, he deseved better. Let him go in the offseason when there is an opportunity to properly catch on elsewhere. This is not the week to "consider loan and trade options".

They got cute about Moore too. They are not having straightforward dealings with these guys. The Kantari signing and then buyout was a horror show, something they didn't measure the risk on properly at the beginning, of course.

Not loving the non DP international cap/roster management that is going on, or not going on.

Herculez is a great guy. But your first paragraph leaves out an important detail: Gomez's MLS contract ran until June, which TFC's brass told me kind of held the club "hostage".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, and it has been odd since they got him. In the big picture, Gomez Findley and Moore were the same type of player: a good soccer pedigree but no longer quite good enough to start, whether due to injury, age or style - but a pretty good option to cover in the absence of a key starter like Altidore. Having one of them made sense, two barely ( due to cost) three never. If you reverse that, it made sense to let Findley and Moore go, but once they are gone, it's important to keep Gomez. Or not let Moore go and release Gomez. Very odd and looks really like they don't know what they are doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Herculez is a great guy. But your first paragraph leaves out an important detail: Gomez's MLS contract ran until June, which TFC's brass told me kind of held the club "hostage".
    Thanks for coming on here. It's a detail worth knowing. Did your editors chop it out of your story?

So I'll amend my comment - did Bez not know that when he signed Gomez? The club did a lot of things last year that are causing problems this year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really saying they're idiots, but I still think losing somebody significant in the locker room could bring down the morale of the team.
    He was in the locker room for what? Two months total? I know he has a personality but I'd be hard pressed to call a guy who got into almost no matches and did next to nothing significant in the room. Now, his lack of pitch time isn't necessarily his fault. Vanney didn't rate him and we have thread dedicated to the coaching acumen of Mr. Vanney so maybe it's another thing to add to his epitaph but maybe also, Herc is done. He didn't do much of anything for a couple seasons before coming here and yes I know he was injured a bit but injuries don't let guys like Altidore and Perquis off the hook so Herc should get the same treatment.

I don't like being thin up top either but I honestly had no good expectations for Gomez this year no matter the injuries. For me, I'd rather Mo get a shot and I am far from being a 'Go Canada' homer when it comes to our roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was left out of the story because it's confusing as to how his contract structure impacted the salary cap. Basically, MLS rules are, at times, too difficult to explain. I don't even have a full explanation. My understanding, though, is that he had a big option the club would have had to pick up this summer.

They knew this when they signed him, but also thought they needed depth at striker heading into the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was left out of the story because it's confusing as to how his contract structure impacted the salary cap. Basically, MLS rules are, at times, too difficult to explain. I don't even have a full explanation. My understanding, though, is that he had a big option the club would have had to pick up this summer.

They knew this when they signed him, but also thought they needed depth at striker heading into the playoffs.
    "MLS rule are too difficult to explain" could be someone's avatar!

Kurt, thanks for engaging on these boards, it is appreciated. Can you add any insight to Bez's comment that there may be an international player coming in? Also, what is the forward hierarchy now at the club? Giovinco, Jozy, Endoh, Babouli, Hamilton?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    "MLS rule are too difficult to explain" could be someone's avatar!

Kurt, thanks for engaging on these boards, it is appreciated. Can you add any insight to Bez's comment that there may be an international player coming in? Also, what is the forward hierarchy now at the club? Giovinco, Jozy, Endoh, Babouli, Hamilton?
    I don't have any information on a player coming in.

As it stands, I expect Osorio, Giovinco and Endoh to start at Red Bull Arena.

Not sure if they'll have Babouli signed by Sunday, but he'd be a candidate to replace Osorio/Endoh off the bench.

Hamilton might travel this weekend out of necessity, especially if Altidore can't go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if they'll have Babouli signed by Sunday, but he'd be a candidate to replace Osorio/Endoh off the bench.

Hamilton might travel this weekend out of necessity, especially if Altidore can't go.
    appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba in the middle of the 3 sounds like a less than ideal situation, we will have to play nearly everything on the ground without even a hint of an aerial threat in the middle.

At this point wouldn't Hamilton in the middle be the best option if Jozy can't go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Seba in the middle of the 3 sounds like a less than ideal situation, we will have to play nearly everything on the ground without even a hint of an aerial threat in the middle.

At this point wouldn't Hamilton in the middle be the best option if Jozy can't go?
    I think Seba is more dangerous in the middle. Less predictable. He'll get more scoring opportunities. I didn't like him on the left when I saw them in Orlando.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is signing this potential international player hinging on moore and/or gomez getting picked up in a waiver. It's a bit of a shame if that doesn't happen - a lot of wasted cap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Is signing this potential international player hinging on moore and/or gomez getting picked up in a waiver. It's a bit of a shame if that doesn't happen - a lot of wasted cap
    MLS rules are akin to the U.S. tax code. Wouldn't surprise me if the IRS was running Major League Soccer.

We just don't know anything about the salary cap. I've been told it's not really a cap, but a "budget". I'm starting to believe there's only a soft cap. Teams go over it and are bailed out by the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Seba is more dangerous in the middle. Less predictable. He'll get more scoring opportunities. I didn't like him on the left when I saw them in Orlando.
    I like him in the middle in a 2 striker setup, i worry about the inexperience on the wing (Oso has never really played wing and Endoh is a rookie) and having the defenders key in on him without having solid outlet options. Going to be tough no matter what now that Gomez is gone and Jozy is likely out for the match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    I agree in that, that combination on the front line does sound bad (for the brief time it would be up there (Seba may not be gone too long, and Jozy may get sent back fro the USMNT again).

But, it would only work if the midfield is solid, and the back line is improved as much as everyone want to believe it has.
    Cool avatar!

I think you've just echoed Initial B's comments, except with an odd number of parenthesis. =P

Agreed, though, all the same.

I do hope, with all the quality around them, and thus the likelihood of their minutes being particularly scarce, that the academy grads, and even our back-up options, can raise their game and really make the most of their chances in the starting eleven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is where you are wrong. Coming off the left side is where Seba is the most dangerous. In the middle he is less likely to have one on one's with a defender and he is easy marked out of the play by the usually two big central defenders. Remember the almost (should have been) goal of the season started out on the left. When playing two up front last year, Seba always drifted out to left to be outlet pass option for defenders and the midfielders. Also if you watch him play for Italy, out on the left is where you usually find him.
    Last edited by A Stick; 03-02-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    This is where you are wrong. Coming off the left side is where Seba is the most dangerous. In the middle he is less likely to have one on one's with a defender and he is easy marked out of the play by the usually two big central defenders. Remember the almost (should have been) goal of the season started out on the left. When playing two up front last year, Seba always drifted out to left to be outlet pass option for defenders and the midfielders. Also if you watch him play for Italy, out on the left is where you usually find him.
    Last season he was free to roam from side to side and picked up possession centrally. I seem to remember him having a pretty good season. If he stays out left at all this season, he'll score less. That's my opinion. A good example would be last Sunday's match against Orlando City. I was there. He was exclusively on the left and had little impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think part of the left impact last season was him picking his spots. As Kurt notes, he had freedom to roam. So while he was extremely dangerous coming from the left last year, he would choose when to go there versus if he is employed strictly to primarily come from the left, it is much different. Much easier (but still hard to) to defend him when you know he's coming from the left compared to him just running to the left receiving a pass and making his move. You have more time to predict/foresee plays when you know where he's coming from compared to more instinctual plays when he is given full creative freedom.

But to be fair, this is more theoretical than based on observation from me, since I could not watch many games last year as I would have liked (apart from earlier on in the season) due to commitments I had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    A contract he signed while he was an up and coming valuable commodity in the PL. He's not nearly as rated now. I doubt anyone offers him more than 10k a week. Coming home might be enough of an enticing prospect to cut even that down enough to get him under TAM.
    Sounds fair. I know he didn't develop as expected, but I have no idea what premier league salaries are like and what is his going rate would be. Going with your rate equals about $750,000 US, so signing him to a $1 M deal could definitely work with TAM and be valuable if he agrees.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TorStar finally gave TFC a reporter it seems

She notes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whadddya mean finally? She was covering the team last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'll amend my comment - did Bez not know that when he signed Gomez? The club did a lot of things last year that are causing problems this year.
    Part of me thinks we should give Bez some slack. He usually is good with contracts, but I can't help but think that the MLS Head Office is meddling again. Every time a trade or exchange doesn't seem to make sense to the public, it comes down to some invisible magic beans or secret allocation order. Look at TFC's history - shooting down the Mellberg deal, parachuting in Payne over the heads of Anselmi, Cochrane and Mariner... I'm just waiting to see what they do about Chicago (and getting Howard to Colorado). Just how leeway do MLS Club GMs have in managing trades without MLS stamping it with a big veto?