Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kantari was on 300-345k last season. Not even close to TAM territory

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell was not coming back from that injury.

And remind me who that guy is who said Bez used Tam on Kantari?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't give up on Kantari so fast. Takes a while for most centreback pairs to bed in and develop an understanding. Patience is needed for those roles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehh... I really hope we give up on him. We have a free buy-out and no other candidates for it.

The guy raises almost every red flag. Expensive, foreign (making it hard to adjust), question marks raised before he arrived, failed the eye test when he got here, and failed the stats test even harder (he was our worst CB statistically - worse than Williams, Zavaleta & Hagglund). We should just cut our losses. And since we appear to be chasing Moor I would think we intend on doing so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point NTS...but if true ...that our big add was and is our worst CB..then heads should be rolling on the front office. I was giving the benefit of the doubt that the fellow had some pedigree. Our mid- season signing should be our big impact player for this coming season. Those are the kind of signings that need to be solid building blocks for success. If you fire Kantari - others need to go.
    Last edited by Hamilton_Red; 12-10-2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't think he made Caldwell retire quick enough IF he was even involved with his 'forced' retirement which seems to be speculation. I agree with Jloome that we didn't replace him adequately or fast enough which makes me think it was more on Caldwells decision than Bez.

I'd say sure give Kantari some time but we don't have it so he needs to go and be replaced with someone from the league, preferably, who is a starting CB immediately

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, in the light of (so to speak) the morning, paint me unimpressed that a NER beat reporter says Kantari was bought with TAM when no TFC beat reporter says so.

If you heard Jack and Molinaro and Devos at the end of the season, you would know that if there was TAM used on Kantari, they'd be screaming about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh crap, I just realized: That $300-345K everybody is quoting for Kantari, is that for the half season? That means he would be on for $600-690K for 2016, which would require TAM to be spent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Oh crap, I just realized: That $300-345K everybody is quoting for Kantari, is that for the half season? That means he would be on for $600-690K for 2016, which would require TAM to be spent.
    Holy fuck just buy him out, this is straight up stupid money at 340k anyways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I would do:
    Pick up Drew Moor, Beitashour + a keeper on a non-guaranteed contract in Re entry if possible (28)
    Buy out Kantari (27)
    Sign Isaac Becerra from Girona or Rubinho from Juventus on a Bosman (once they arrive cut the keeper picked up in re entry) (27)
    Buy a Young-ish DM and use TAM to kill his cap hit (28)
    Incorporate Cheyrou into a trade for Will Johnson (28)
    Loan Hagglund/Zavaleta to a team in NASL or a team with low defensive depth in MLS (27)
    If no Drew Moor in re entry then attempt for O'Dea but nothing more than 250k (27)
    If no O'Dea then search around South America/Eastern Europe again nothing more than 250k (27)
    Sign Babouli to a homegrown contract (28)
    Use our one full season USL loan on Hamilton/Babouli (27)
    FIND A STARTING RIGHTBACK (only if Beitashour isn't picked up) (28)

(The number in brackets is our roster size as the moves occur)

Should end up with a 4-3-3

Becerra/Rubinho; Morrow, Perquis, Moor/O'Dea/Starting CB, Beitashour/Starting RB; Young DM (TAM), Bradley, Johnson; Giovinco, Altidore, Gomez

Subs: Bono/Q, Morgan, Williams, Oso, Moore, Delgado, Warner
    Last edited by portu; 12-10-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having talked with Caldwell a couple times, he seams more than happy with the role he has now.

I don't think the term "forced out" is the right one to be used in this case.

Rollins is saying he believes that the Johnson trade will occur today... #freewilly Hopefully the first piece of our offseason will fall into place today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    OK, in the light of (so to speak) the morning, paint me unimpressed that a NER beat reporter says Kantari was bought with TAM when no TFC beat reporter says so.

If you heard Jack and Molinaro and Devos at the end of the season, you would know that if there was TAM used on Kantari, they'd be screaming about it.
    Yeah, I have my doubts too. Also do not see Kantari costing 600k,id be shocked if that was the case and start to really doubt Bez' capabilities

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totera is reporting that Giuseppe Giovinco is training with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Totera is reporting that Giuseppe Giovinco is training with TFC.
    Hopefully for a TFC II contract. Seems like he wasn't even able to hack it in Italy's 3rd division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Hopefully for a TFC II contract. Seems like he wasn't even able to hack it in Italy's 3rd division.
    I don't see them bringing in a 25 year old foerign player for TFC2... goes against what that team is all about.

My guess is they are seeing if he is an upgrade on a player like lovitz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has to be for TFC II or he's just keeping fit before trying to get another club in January.

He's a small secondary striker, I can't see him cracking the MLS squad even as a depth piece. From a playing POV, what would be the point of signing him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see them bringing in a 25 year old foerign player for TFC2... goes against what that team is all about.

My guess is they are seeing if he is an upgrade on a player like lovitz.
    Without ever seeing Giovinco 2.0 play, I'd kind of think he'd have to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Holy fuck just buy him out, this is straight up stupid money at 340k anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Yeah, I have my doubts too. Also do not see Kantari costing 600k,id be shocked if that was the case and start to really doubt Bez' capabilities
    Now that I've reviewed this in more detail, I'm starting to think the $300-345K is for the half season.

Case in point: Torsten Frings. Per union numbers released on Sept 1, 2011, Frings was showing to have guaranteed compensation of $1.11 million. Per union numbers released on May 15, 2012, Frings was showing to have guaranteed compensation of $2.41 million.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Now that I've reviewed this in more detail, I'm starting to think the $300-345K is for the half season.

Case in point: Torsten Frings. Per union numbers released on Sept 1, 2011, Frings was showing to have guaranteed compensation of $1.11 million. Per union numbers released on May 15, 2012, Frings was showing to have guaranteed compensation of $2.41 million.
    Frings is a different case. All other players signed mid-season have always had their full-year salary listed. Of course there could be compensation beyond what the players' union lists. But Kantari did not sign for 600k a year.

If TFC were gonna sign a 600k CB they would've gone after someone like Melberg.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having talked with Caldwell a couple times, he seams more than happy with the role he has now.

I don't think the term "forced out" is the right one to be used in this case.

Rollins is saying he believes that the Johnson trade will occur today... #freewilly Hopefully the first piece of our offseason will fall into place today.
    I have talked to Caldwell about it too. Forced out may not be the proper term necessarily because he agreed to the change but it was not his first choice to resign from playing at the time he did lets just say. When it comes to any job sometimes you are not "forced" but you are politely told what is in your best interest by your boss and if they are offering an alternative at the time you might be wise to take it in case it is not offered the next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly who the hell knows with Kantari. You can't even trust the players union numbers for odd cases like this. I remember reading some tweets from Merritt Paulson recently where he said some of the numbers released by the union are horribly off-base.

We need a TFC journo to look into it or ask Bez straight up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I have talked to Caldwell about it too. Forced out may not be the proper term necessarily because he agreed to the change but it was not his first choice to resign from playing at the time he did lets just say. When it comes to any job sometimes you are not "forced" but you are politely told what is in your best interest by your boss and if they are offering an alternative at the time you might be wise to take it in case it is not offered the next time.
    I agree, to me he seamed as upset about his body continually breaking down when on that road to recovery as anything else. He would have loved to get back on the pitch last year and who knows ifhe hadn't of been lead to the decision he made he may have done that neat the end of the season.

He made a sacrifice that was deemed necessary for the team as he has done many times in his career for his clubs, to me that's what made him a great captain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, to me he seamed as upset about his body continually breaking down when on that road to recovery as anything else. He would have loved to get back on the pitch last year and who knows ifhe hadn't of been lead to the decision he made he may have done that neat the end of the season.

He made a sacrifice that was deemed necessary for the team as he has done many times in his career for his clubs, to me that's what made him a great captain.
    Unfortunate it took him 13 games into the season to decide that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Unfortunate it took him 13 games into the season to decide that
    Reasonably sure he was close to a return and had a set back. A healthy caldwell next to perquis could have been a game changer down the stretch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    That Duncan Fletcher basically admits he doesn't know what he's talking about. There's better baseless speculation in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/we...899/story.html

Will Johnson not going to Vancouver, linked with Chicago. TFC also mentioned but it's just speculation based on his friendship with Bradley.

Caps looking at Magee (knew they'd be in the market for a striker after Rivero faded).

They are trying to re-sign Beitashour but haven't worked out a deal yet. He needs to be signed by 2:00pm tomorrow or he goes to the re-entry draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cap relief for 1 or 2injuries could have fixed that situation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Frings is a different case. All other players signed mid-season have always had their full-year salary listed. Of course there could be compensation beyond what the players' union lists. But Kantari did not sign for 600k a year.

If TFC were gonna sign a 600k CB they would've gone after someone like Melberg.
    Yes, good point. On even further review, I have realized that with Danny Koovermans, his numbers, as per the union were:

September 1, 2011: $1.41 million guaranteed
    May 15, 2012: $1.56 million guaranteed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will see what we've sent back the other way, but this is an excellent move.