Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Babouli can still play for the first team at any point while being on a TFCII contract.
    No. Otherwise Simonin wouldn't have needed to sign an MLS contract last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eff you, salary cap!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole Gomez thing is a head scratcher. Unfortunately, with brutal MLS info sharing we really have no way to evaluate what is going on.

It could be anything from not liking the fit to Luke Moore's contract making life difficult. Either way, the forward situation for the Sr team now looks sub optimal - they need better secondary options. Mo can be the last guy on the depth chart - think he's earned it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the front line in the summer could potentially be Babouli, Hamilton, Endoh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You know, I really don't mind the sound of that. If we have a solid midfield and backline by that point, I think the energy of young strikers might overwhelm some of the league's older defensive lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a huge risk, but if they find success there then it is great for the future.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling the brain trust thought off loading Moore would be easier then what has happened. We have 5 forwards and are planning on running a 4-3-3. With the 2 best of those 5 likely to be gone for most of June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    That is a huge risk, but if they find success there then it is great for the future.
    It's highly unlikely that that remains our depth chart. That sweet, sweet, TAM is burning a whole in our pocket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    No he can't, it's the opposite that's true. A player with an MLS contract can be loaned to a USL affiliate, but if you play for TFC you need an MLS contract.

Looks like we just signed Gomez for too much initially, and with him being a sub, the money doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinn View Post
    No. Otherwise Simonin wouldn't have needed to sign an MLS contract last season.
    My friend I have been like the guy below to understand every available and unavailable MLS rule.

And I know for sure that based on 2015 MLS rules it is possible to be loaned up from USL to MLS.
    The LA Galaxy (surprise) was the first team to take advantage of this rule by using two Los Dos players. (i.e. Dave Romney & Ariel Lassiter) The former ended up signing with the first team.

TFC bussed super early in giving that contract to Simonin.
    Last edited by Shway; 03-01-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love my Canadian players,but come on.it jus shows you that Bez is way over his head,always fixing his own mistakes.400 500 k of cap money in the garbage before the season even started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he really is gone I'm not too worried as long as we are bringing in another solid/experienced forward. I agree he hasn't got a lot of playing time but still, he didn't make much use of it. Yes, he got that goal but to be honest, it wasn't that great except for the significance of it. I would have kept Moore over Herc if I were given the choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i love my Canadian players,but come on.it jus shows you that Bez is way over his head,always fixing his own mistakes.400 500 k of cap money in the garbage before the season even started.
    He built one of the top 5 rosters in the league. How exactly is he in over his head? we don't even know that this wasn't a trade or that Moore won't get claimed off waivers.

Edit: nvm, Larsun says he's getting waived. Still. It's possible both get picked up. A lot of teams are looking for depth at that position who aren't near the cap.

Also interesting is that supposedly his Contract only ran through June. Wonder what his cap hit would have been this year then.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 03-01-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that we have no backup striker now going into a summer that involves our two highest scorers last year. The Gomez deal made zero sense in the first place and that makes it a deal that we are on the losing side of. On the whole Bez has made extremely astute signings however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Gomez was a short term solution that fulfilled a need at the time. That's not a mistake.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    He built one of the top 5 rosters in the league. How exactly is he in over his head? we don't even know that this wasn't a trade or that Moore won't get claimed off waivers.
    I think we know that I'm not exactly a Bez hater. But, lets look at this move.

We do know that

a) Bez has made assumptions on what is going to happen and used those assumptions to bring in players last season that did not work out

b) in reaction to that stuff not working last season, he hired 4 players in December knowing darn well that some of those who did not work out had to go before the end of today

c) he didn't get Moore moved, which has lost us Gomez and left us playing a 4-3-3 going into an 8 game road trip with 2 DP forwards, 1 rookie, 1 farm team guy doing good and a guy we all thought needed to step up this season and who nobody said during the preseason that he was stepping up. Its a mystery we are about to discover, and I for one have had enough mysteries over the years.

Kantari was a mistake. Keeping Moore was a mistake. Findley was a mistake. Gomez ended up being a player too far (as some on here said at the time)

A lot more stuff has not been a mistake. But, this move, done because something else didn't get done before today, this move sideways is on Bez.

Lets see where we go from here.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-01-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder now if it was a Bez/league signing over Vanney's head, and Vanney didn't rate him, so didn't use him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think we know that I'm not exactly a Bez hater. But, lets look at this move.

We do know that

a) Bez has made assumptions on what is going to happen and used those assumptions to bring in players last season that did not work out

b) in reaction to that stuff not working last season, he hired 4 players in December knowing darn well that some of those who did not work out had to go before the end of today

c) he didn't get Moore moved, which has lost us Gomez and left us playing a 4-3-3 going into an 8 game road trip with 2 DP forwards, 1 rookie, 1 farm team guy doing good and a guy we all thought needed to step up this season and who nobody said during the preseason that he was

Kantari was a mistake. Keeping Moore was a mistake. Findley was a mistake. Gomez ended up being a player too far (as some on here said at the time)

A lot more stuff has not been a mistake. But, this move, done because something else didn't get done before today, this move sideways is on Bez.

Lets see where we go from here.
    Kantari was a desperate buy. We needed anyone, and he was what was available. Moore is complicated, the risk vs. reward needed to be weighed in terms of his maybe getting an offer from england. And Findley was a short-term team building exercise that was only ever going to be here for one season. This situation has fucked us a little bit, but we're in no means in terrible shape. We may have to start Hamilton for the first game of the season, but we'll probably have someone else have a significantly higher pedigree in by then at that position, plus babouli.

sure, he's made assumptions before that haven't gone as planned, but they haven't really left us in terrible shape. There's always been a back-up plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He built one of the top 5 rosters in the league.
    He also has a top 3 payroll. Top 5 roster has yet to be proven based on results.

Let's see how this plays out, but I think for this team to move further down the road these moves have to start working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have to be bringing someone in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top payroll doesn't mean much in a cap/3 DP/tons of Garber bucks league.

The measure of an MLS GM is not what you do with your 3 DP slots. Its what you do with those slots & what you do with everything else under the cap.

If I was to rate the latest striker moves, I'd call it a C+. Yes, Endoh is a find and Babouli might be a good 60 minute a game player this season. But, we have no experience up there beyond our 2 DP's. The June/July forward line could be Dallas North, or we could be TFC circa any team before Defoe got here. (Yes, I remember Koevs - nobody else but him could score)
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-01-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kinda worried for NY, doubt any new player would be ready

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course it does. It's the reason we have the league MVP and most other teams are fighting the curve to find players which make that sort of impact or even close to it.

DP's alone can't win you the league but they give you a pretty good advantage of used properly. Our financial resources mean we are at a relative advantage and should be judged accordingly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    You know, I really don't mind the sound of that. If we have a solid midfield and backline by that point, I think the energy of young strikers might overwhelm some of the league's older defensive lines.
    I agree in that, that combination on the front line does sound bad (for the brief time it would be up there (Seba may not be gone too long, and Jozy may get sent back fro the USMNT again).

But, it would only work if the midfield is solid, and the back line is improved as much as everyone want to believe it has.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The measure of an MLS GM is not what you do with your 3 DP slots. Its what you do with those slots & what you do with everything else under the cap.

If I was to rate the latest striker moves, I'd call it a C+. Yes, Endoh is a find and Babouli might be a good 60 minute a game player this season. But, we have no experience up there beyond our 2 DP's. The June/July forward line could be Dallas North, or we could be TFC circa any team before Defoe got here. (Yes, I remember Koevs - nobody else but him could score)
    You can't evaluate letting Herc and Moore move until we know who we're bring in to replace them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't evaluate letting Herc and Moore move until we know who we're bring in to replace them.
    Eh... You can if we have trouble scoring with our kids up front until Herc/Moore's replacement is brought in. And maybe this is pessimistic but I take a "prove me wrong" approach to this type of thing, because until we do bring in a replacement, we're looking pretty thin up front.

Big fan of what Bez has done recently but this is the result of a couple things he didn't navigate very well. He signed Gomez for too much money and failed to find a more elegant solution for Moore. Our TAM will come in handy, I'm not too worried, but Bez could have done better here. Live and learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS website says that Gomez waived was to allow us to sign Baboulli. It's a bit late to be making a signing now..that's the old way for TFC start signing players days before the first kick.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've seen this picture before around the league. Anybody brought in without MLS experience is going to take a few months to get used to things. Anybody from around the league brought in now wasn't good enough to make an MLS roster somewhere.

Regardless, nobody brought in is going to be up to speed on how they want the forwards to work together and how they want them to work defensively. We've wasted our #4 forward preseason time on a guy who's now gone. That time is precious. And all because we couldn't ditch Moore. Will we recover - probably. Is this an issue I'd love to have had 3 seasons ago - hell yes. But, its still not good when you want to compete with the best in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Eh... You can if we have trouble scoring with our kids up front until Herc/Moore's replacement is brought in. And maybe this is pessimistic but I take a "prove me wrong" approach to this type of thing, because until we do bring in a replacement, we're looking pretty thin up front.

Big fan of what Bez has done recently but this is the result of a couple things he didn't navigate very well. He signed Gomez for too much money and failed to find a more elegant solution for Moore. Our TAM will come in handy, I'm not too worried, but Bez could have done better here. Live and learn.
    But, like I said up thread, we wouldn't make this move unless we had someone coming in. If they were really worried about depth they could have just let Gomez stay until June. They tried to get him to sign an extension at a presumably smaller salary and he said no. They obviously have other options they deem more worthwhile.

Also, letting the kids get a lot of minutes at the beginning of this road trip isn't such a terrible idea. Best to get them acclimated to MLS away from home then in front of 30k fans who will get on your back over the smallest thing. Not the worst thing in the world to get them some proper playing time while we finish organizing the roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember we're breaking for the group stage of the Copa (June 2 - 14) and Italy's first game is on the 13th. Someone must have done a best/worst case scenario for losing players that I'm too lazy to do. It might not be that bad.

That said I think Bez has something his sleeve - we're way too thin up front, and I fear it will be from within MLS

You know what would make me really happy? A loan for a young, not getting much time, central american winger who's played a bit on their u-23 team. But we all know it's going to be Kenny Fucking Cooper

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnicker View Post
    ...You know what would make me really happy? A loan for a young, not getting much time, central american winger who's played a bit on their u-23 team. But we all know it's going to be Kenny Fucking Cooper
    The poster boy for the big man who plays small? In a 4-3-3 with Seba and Endoh? He'd be beyond useless.