Page 72 of 98 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm note sure a goalkeeper is the wisest use of the TAM, as previously speculated. There are many teams in the league that have solid goalkeepers signed to reasonable contracts. I would prefer to see management use the TAM on a stud DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, TAM on a keeper (ESPECIALLY on mediocre guys like Guzan or Howard) would be a big waste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TAM should be used to pay the transfer fee for a player like Laba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm note sure a goalkeeper is the wisest use of the TAM, as previously speculated. There are many teams in the league that have solid goalkeepers signed to reasonable contracts. I would prefer to see management use the TAM on a stud DM.

by a mile the two best keepers in the league are Hamid and Ousted. Both of whom are on more than 400k. That's the kind of quality we're going after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think plenty of people underestimate the importance of a good goal keeper. This should be your General at the back commanding the backfield...setting up for free kicks & corners, commanding the box etc. A good GK is just as important as a great striker. There are plenty of good shot stoppers in the MLS but very few GK the likes Buffon Kahn, Cech, Shilton, Zoff, Yashin etc. A bad GK will cost a team more points than a great forward can get back. Use the TAM to get a solid Keeper please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    by a mile the two best keepers in the league are Hamid and Ousted. Both of whom are on more than 400k. That's the kind of quality we're going after.
    Not to be pedantic but Hamid was developed by DC into what he is today and Ousted was originally signed for $250-300K or so and only got the big contract after having a great season. I'm perfectly fine with taking on a relatively affordable import like Kwarasey or Ousted but not enthused about bringing in a big "name" keeper for $400K + %($800K). We've also got Quillan and Bono waiting in the wings so if we do bring in a keeper I do hope it is an affordable veteran, not an expensive 20 something that will block both Quillan and Bono from sniffing the first team for years to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from Twitter

. Totera
    Source confirms to me TFC n NYCFC are n the hunt for Marco Borriello don't count out Montreal TFC getting closer on GK n also another D-man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    from Twitter

. Totera
    Source confirms to me TFC n NYCFC are n the hunt for Marco Borriello don't count out Montreal TFC getting closer on GK n also another D-man
    So we're looking to add a keeper, another defender, and Borriello?

Luke Moore surely has to be on the way out if the latter is true. Borriello would be a TAM signing I guess, unless we're shopping Altidore too. I very much doubt we have the cap space for another defender and keeper on top of that... maybe Perquis is also heading out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, reading that my thought is there as to be outgoings

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totera gets fed stuff by Italian agents. Twice now he's suggested Seba's brother was for sure going to be signed.

Smart man who cares passionately about the game in Toronto and has a good idea about what works and what doesn't work on a team - great pundit and I am really glad we have the depth of coverage of the game in this city that a guy like that can provide coverage - other cities would kill for soccer stuff in that depth. Heck, they consider Eric Wynalda a good pundit.

But when it comes to acquisitions, there's a lot of hope in his tweets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's been the first to report on some non-Italian acquisitions as well (Will Johnson for example). But I agree, there's a certain hopefulness in his tweets.

Moving a bunch of people out at this point seems a little drastic for a management team that has been preaching stability all off-season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    He's been the first to report on some non-Italian acquisitions as well (Will Johnson for example). But I agree, there's a certain hopefulness in his tweets.

Moving a bunch of people out at this point seems a little drastic for a management team that has been preaching stability all off-season.
    At least he actually gives us something to chew on as opposed to Larson and JM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    . Totera
    I'm betting that D-man they're looking for is a DM. So if they are looking for two players, does TFC have enough space under the cap to sign them? TAM can only be used to lower a salary to a minimum of $150K. That means for 2 players they'll need at least $300K under the cap.
    I'm not too worried about hearing anything right now. Last week was spent focusing on the Superdraft. I think the next two weeks we're going to see a flurry of activity starting wednesday, I think. Do you remember the metronome of signings last year? The FO was releasing something new every 3 days, it seemed. It definately kept TFC in the news. I'm sure they'll start with a leak on Wednesday, followed by announcing a signing on Friday, followed by that player arriving at the airport on Monday, followed by another rumor on Wednesday, uncovered as a false lead on Saturday, new lead on Tuesday, Signing announced Friday, player arrives just before training camp starts, then we're into the preseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that a bad thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    We've also got Quillan and Bono waiting in the wings so if we do bring in a keeper I do hope it is an affordable veteran, not an expensive 20 something that will block both Quillan and Bono from sniffing the first team for years to come.
    Why buy young when we can buy old? I like it. Age ain't nothin' but a number.

Seriously though, if this hypothetical new GK is grossly overpaid that's one thing but if we have him for "years to come" then there's a pretty good chance he's going to be of a certain quality. If this is the case then who cares if a couple of question mark GKs get time? One can back him up and the other can be traded. It's a good problem to have, but there's no guarantee either goalkeeper will amount to anything.

GKs are too important to just aim for serviceable, good ones can change seasons. Using Inter as an example, they are where they are not because they play particularly well but because their asses get bailed out weekly by the best goalkeeper in Serie A. (and Europe, statistically speaking) With just a serviceable GK they are little more than a midtable team, instead they are competing for a championship. It's a position to splurge on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm betting that D-man they're looking for is a DM. So if they are looking for two players, does TFC have enough space under the cap to sign them? TAM can only be used to lower a salary to a minimum of $150K. That means for 2 players they'll need at least $300K under the cap.
    I'm not too worried about hearing anything right now. Last week was spent focusing on the Superdraft. I think the next two weeks we're going to see a flurry of activity starting wednesday, I think. Do you remember the metronome of signings last year? The FO was releasing something new every 3 days, it seemed. It definately kept TFC in the news. I'm sure they'll start with a leak on Wednesday, followed by announcing a signing on Friday, followed by that player arriving at the airport on Monday, followed by another rumor on Wednesday, uncovered as a false lead on Saturday, new lead on Tuesday, Signing announced Friday, player arrives just before training camp starts, then we're into the preseason.
    If you get borriello in with TAM and move Gomez or Moore then you could actually create cap space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Why buy young when we can buy old? I like it. Age ain't nothin' but a number.

Seriously though, if this hypothetical new GK is grossly overpaid that's one thing but if we have him for "years to come" then there's a pretty good chance he's going to be of a certain quality. If this is the case then who cares if a couple of question mark GKs get time? One can back him up and the other can be traded. It's a good problem to have, but there's no guarantee either goalkeeper will amount to anything.

GKs are too important to just aim for serviceable, good ones can change seasons. Using Inter as an example, they are where they are not because they play particularly well but because their asses get bailed out weekly by the best goalkeeper in Serie A. (and Europe, statistically speaking) With just a serviceable GK they are little more than a midtable team, instead they are competing for a championship. It's a position to splurge on.
    You're totally right, I definitely should have worded that better. I meant the scenario you proposed, ie. grossly overpaying a player for age rather than on skill alone and then sticking with him for years because of our financial commitment to him despite his mediocre/poor performance. It's quite a bit of a hypothetical jump to make but this is my biggest fear for this offseason haha. Like I said, I'm perfectly happy with "younger" keeper imports if they're affordable like an Ousted or Kwarasey but I'm not in favour of spending a large portion of our TAM. Older veterans will likely come at a lower cost PLUS it would open the door for one of Roberts or Bono to show if they've got what it takes. If one of them works out, great, we've got our GK of the future. If not, the veteran will give us 1 or 2 years to search for another one.

Maybe it's just because we haven't seen too many big name keepers in the MLS but it seems like pretty much every successful MLS team get by just fine with decent GK play from affordable domestic players so I don't see why we need to be risking a bunch of cash and future flexibility on something so uncertain. We sure as hell won't be getting a Handanovic type player for $1 million so I remain skeptical as to how much of a marginal impact (if any) they would have over an average MLS keeper.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    You're totally right, I definitely should have worded that better. I meant the scenario you proposed, ie. grossly overpaying a player for age rather than on skill alone and then sticking with him for years because of our financial commitment to him despite his mediocre/poor performance. It's quite a bit of a hypothetical jump to make but this is my biggest fear for this offseason haha. Like I said, I'm perfectly happy with "younger" keeper imports if they're affordable like an Ousted or Kwarasey but I'm not in favour of spending a large portion of our TAM. Older veterans will likely come at a lower cost PLUS it would open the door for one of Roberts or Bono to show if they've got what it takes. If one of them works out, great, we've got our GK of the future. If not, the veteran will give us 1 or 2 years to search for another one.

Maybe it's just because we haven't seen too many big name keepers in the MLS but it seems like pretty much every successful MLS team get by just fine with decent GK play from affordable domestic players so I don't see why we need to be risking a bunch of cash and future flexibility on something so uncertain. We sure as hell won't be getting a Handanovic type player for $1 million so I remain skeptical as to how much of a marginal impact (if any) they would have over an average MLS keeper.
    The 'culture' of MLS is changing. FB was one of positions that teams cheaped out on, but with importance of FBs growing, teams are starting to spend more money on FBs.
    Same with GKs. Yes, you can make do with a decent GK, but in the end, you get what you pay for. Teams that spend on a good GK have better chance of going far.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    The 'culture' of MLS is changing. FB was one of positions that teams cheaped out on, but with importance of FBs growing, teams are starting to spend more money on FBs.
    Same with GKs. Yes, you can make do with a decent GK, but in the end, you get what you pay for. Teams that spend on a good GK have better chance of going far.

Sure, as the cap and other allocation funds increase teams are starting to spend money on positions they previously skimped out on, but in the current climate only Hamid and Ousted are the keepers being paid BARELY over $400K and only because they've proven themselves to be the best in the MLS (Ousted only from this season on as well). Every other team in the playoffs this year had a sub $300K keeper, including the eventual finalists. I have no doubt that in the coming years we'll see bigger spending on keepers (because I agree that keepers do have a big impact on the game) but there is no reason for us to be at the forefront of this keeper "revolution" at the moment, considering there is clear indication that teams are able to be successful without one and because our cap is somewhat stretched as it is. That said, we haven't really seen too many high calibre Euro league import keepers in the MLS so who knows what type of effect they would have on the team. I'm just speculating on my own biases and MLS history so I could turn out to be completely off the mark a few years down the line.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Completely agree with that, pretty sure we would not see a Mellberg situation happen in today's MLS.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.calciomercato.it/news/365...o-toronto.html

Carpi, ESCLUSIVO: Borriello verso Toronto. Ma Pirlo... https://t.co/4RANV9UHoM #seriea #calciomercato

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm is that a reliable source?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CALCIOMERCATO CARPI EXCLUSIVE BORRIELLO TOWARD MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER / TORONTO (Canada) - Toronto may be the new stage in the career of Marco Borriello, coveted in Major League Soccer . The Neapolitan striker, now destined to leave Carpi, would be very close to an agreement with the Toronto FC, where would reach Sebastian Giovinco. In Toronto in many take the deal already done but at the moment there is certainly only the offer of Canadian society and the very high interest of the player, represented by quell'Andrea D'Amicowho has invented the deal Giovinco last winter. The Toronto Fc Borriello wants to replace Altidore and Giovinco from May to July will be engaged respectively in the Copa America and Europe. The entourage of Borriello brakes for this possibility, which at the time would not be very high.
    Behind the now former center forward next Carpi, however, there is also the New York City FC, the team owned by Manchester City, for which Andrea Pirlo. Just the former Juventus player would ask explicitly at the top of the team to focus on the Neapolitan striker taking advantage of new openings in the American League salary cap. In both clubs, in fact, the three places are occupied by Designated Player but since last August there is a fourth spot that allows you to stay within the cap on salaries of up to $ 1.2 million and this year the teams will have an additional bonus of 800 thousand dollars for salaries.
    More in the background, however, is the Montréal, still in search of the heir to Didier Drogba. Meanwhile, there may be other Italians to land in MLS. The Toronto Fc seek it in an Italian defender to complete the back four. Nothing to do for Giuseppe Giovinco. The brother of the Atomic Ant, who looked set to sign with the Toronto Fc II, is instead a new player Tuttocuoio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Umm is that a reliable source?
    Not sure, but it also says Giuseppe Giovinco is no longer looking to sign with TFCII, which is correct...

And it also says Andrea D'Amico is Borriello's agent, I don't know if this was known already but that would push me towards thinking this may actually happen. D'Amico is Giovinco's agent.

Moore is going to be on his way out for sure if this goes through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    CALCIOMERCATO CARPI EXCLUSIVE BORRIELLO TOWARD MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER / TORONTO (Canada) - Toronto may be the new stage in the career of Marco Borriello, coveted in Major League Soccer . The Neapolitan striker, now destined to leave Carpi, would be very close to an agreement with the Toronto FC, where would reach Sebastian Giovinco. In Toronto in many take the deal already done but at the moment there is certainly only the offer of Canadian society and the very high interest of the player, represented by quell'Andrea D'Amicowho has invented the deal Giovinco last winter. The Toronto Fc Borriello wants to replace Altidore and Giovinco from May to July will be engaged respectively in the Copa America and Europe. The entourage of Borriello brakes for this possibility, which at the time would not be very high.
    Behind the now former center forward next Carpi, however, there is also the New York City FC, the team owned by Manchester City, for which Andrea Pirlo. Just the former Juventus player would ask explicitly at the top of the team to focus on the Neapolitan striker taking advantage of new openings in the American League salary cap. In both clubs, in fact, the three places are occupied by Designated Player but since last August there is a fourth spot that allows you to stay within the cap on salaries of up to $ 1.2 million and this year the teams will have an additional bonus of 800 thousand dollars for salaries.
    More in the background, however, is the Montréal, still in search of the heir to Didier Drogba. Meanwhile, there may be other Italians to land in MLS. The Toronto Fc seek it in an Italian defender to complete the back four. Nothing to do for Giuseppe Giovinco. The brother of the Atomic Ant, who looked set to sign with the Toronto Fc II, is instead a new player Tuttocuoio.
    "Another defender to complete the back four"
    ^ Lol what?! It's got to be a centreback then which means Perquis is out

ALSO WHERE IS OUR KEEPER BEZ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think maybe they've looked at Totera's tweet and made a story out of it without crediting him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got to see a bit of Borriello when is was on loan with West Ham a few seasons ago. He only played twice but failed to make any kind of an impact. Looking at Wikipedia, he has only four goals since then. Maybe MLS will be a good level for him? Not sure I would take the gamble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I got to see a bit of Borriello when is was on loan with West Ham a few seasons ago. He only played twice but failed to make any kind of an impact. Looking at Wikipedia, he has only four goals since then. Maybe MLS will be a good level for him? Not sure I would take the gamble.
    It's hard to gauge. He had an impressive strike rate in Serie A a few years ago, but he is 33 years old now. Then again, look at the impact Di Vaio had at this level in his late thirties.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-17-2016 at 05:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Di Vaio was the man at the Impact.

Seba is the man here.

That looks like trading one 33 year old for another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There would have to be some creativeness to all of this.

we brought in Borellio under TAM - And shipped out Altidore to make room for a new DP Defender or CDM.

This is TFC, anything could happen. Stay tuned..