0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    I think Chicago will end up winning this one, lots of allocation money because of finishing last and recent FC Dallas trade

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think Chicago will end up winning this one, lots of allocation money because of finishing last and recent FC Dallas trade
    feel like thats the case too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah. Lex Luther will prevail.

If TFC really want him, they'll get him. Chicago has nothing to offer that Toronto doesnt (other than it being his "home town" - even though he'll probably be appreciate here more due to CMNT).

The he only thing Chicago has is allocation. Then again, TFC will probably want to drop that TAM on a DM, right?
    Last edited by Ivy; 12-14-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

The he only thing Chicago has is allocation. Then again, TFC will probably want to drop that TAM on a DM, right?

One of the beat reporters a while back, I want to say it was Rollins, said that the team planned on using TAM on a goalie from Europe. Plans might have obviously changed with the large increase in available TAM but it seemed like they were more satisfied with what they have at the DM position then we are. My hunch is that that has to do with with the high hopes the organization has on Mannella and him seeing a lot more minutes next season. I think they were hoping to fill the CB, RB, and RM holes in that order before thinking about upgrading at DM.

But again, plans might have changed now that we have more room to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    One of the beat reporters a while back, I want to say it was Rollins, said that the team planned on using TAM on a goalie from Europe. Plans might have obviously changed with the large increase in available TAM but it seemed like they were more satisfied with what they have at the DM position then we are. My hunch is that that has to do with with the high hopes the organization has on Mannella and him seeing a lot more minutes next season. I think they were hoping to fill the CB, RB, and RM holes in that order before thinking about upgrading at DM.

But again, plans might have changed now that we have more room to work with.
    i hope that is not the case. The reason our defence has been overrun during Vanneys tenure is aggressive play, particularly from Bradley, that leaves us exposed and vulnerable at the back. Need midfield help for that - a Laba type - or a complete change in tactics and philosophy from Vanney. More important than CB's IMHO, but even if not, critical for this team and the way it plays.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 12-14-2015 at 12:08 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago wants to make a statement - they have lost a couple of bidding wars of late. The reason I want Johnson here is he is adaptable and will change over the 5 years I can see him playing in red.
    If we, somehow, got him Moore, Beitsahour and a decent keeper, we would win the off season for the 3rd year running and be set for awhile.

That having been said, if this team could begin to bring along young guys, that would mean a lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see TFC signing Johnson in isolation. Wouldn't surprise if Johnson moving causes other things to happen.

The guy Chicago should actually want to get is Gomez (or Altidore). They need strikers, probably need to replace Magee, and need some names that fans care about.

They are rumoured to be in the mix for Vela, as are others (Colorado, SJ). Vela and Altidore make about the same amount of money.

I think Manning has to feel he can get much better value from the Altidore DP slot. Maybe the Bradley one too, although that is trickier.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-14-2015 at 07:59 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most situations like this in MLS (see Borchers last offseason) the player will likely dictate where he ends up.

There is nothing materially different that Chicago could offer without blowing their brains out that we can't, if Johnson wants to be here which reports suggest then he will be IMO.
    Last edited by Pint; 12-14-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    i hope that is not the case. The reason our defence has been overrun during Vanneys tenure is aggressive play, particularly from Bradley, that leaves us exposed and vulnerable at the back. Need midfield help for that - a Laba type - or a complete change in tactics and philosophy from Vanney. More important that CB's IMHO, but even if not, critical for this team and the way it plays.
    Gotta agree, all the more reason we shouldnt sign Johnson, hes not that player. I like the dude, just not sure he fits...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't see TFC signing Johnson in isolation. Wouldn't surprise if Johnson moving causes other things to happen.

The guy Chicago should actually want to get is Gomez (or Altidore). They need strikers, probably need to replace Magee, and need some names that fans care about.

They are rumoured to be in the mix for Vela, as are others (Colorado, SJ). Vela and Altidore make about the same amount of money.

I think Manning has to feel he can get much better value from the Altidore DP slot. Maybe the Bradley one too, although that is trickier.

Although I agree TFC might be better off without Altidore, not sure we see him being moved. Could happen but think that would cause disharmony with Bradley.

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Like most situations like this in MLS (see Borchers last offseason) the player will likely dictate where he ends up.

There is nothing materially different that Chicago could offer without blowing their brains out that we can't, if Johnson wants to be here which reports suggest then he will be IMO.
    Any links to this? I havent seen him say anything in one direction or the other

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson would miss at least a couple games with the CMNT, don't know if we need even more key players missing significant parts of their club season because they keep getting called up for their respective national team. Great player though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago is his home town, but we have Michael Bradley and these days a more ambitious organization. We can offer him significant playing time, a championship capable squad, and a chance to play with his best bud Bradley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaston Gil Romero - DM - Estudiantes
    22 years old, 5' 10"

http://youtu.be/OkVDRXoO2Jg
    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    River Plate are signing him apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Before he goes to Europe. Romero is too good for us.

Posted this a while back, but after shoring up our back line with Beitashour and Moore (assuming they are actually done deals), this is the biggest area of need still (along with GK, obviously).

http://www.just-football.com/2015/01...ew-mascherano/

Romero was one of the players listed, although I did mention he was probably a bit unrealistic and is likely destined for Europe.

There are a couple other interesting names in there though.
    This is what we should be looking for... a young, south-American destroyer.

We did it once with Laba, and that worked out great (for Vancouver, unfortunately).
    We should be looking to replicate that.

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post

These are the type of players we should be looking at:

http://www.just-football.com/2015/01...ew-mascherano/

Alot of these specific guys might be unrealistic, as they seem destined for Italy, Spain or England (Romero, Kranevitter, etc.), but this is the type of player we should be after.

We need another Laba. He was a fantastic signing who has fit in MLS perfectly.

We obviously can't get him back, but we should be looking for a similar replacement.
    Last edited by gdg_9; 12-14-2015 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideally, we could still use a wide midfielder in addition to a GK and a DM. We should have enough cap space to fill all 3 slots with players that have pedigree.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Although I agree TFC might be better off without Altidore, not sure we see him being moved. Could happen but think that would cause disharmony with Bradley.
    Not if it's done to bring in an even better personal friend. Plus do we know that Bradley is actually closer to Altidore than Gomez?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO do we expect any news from the club today re: the two defenders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not if it's done to bring in an even better personal friend. Plus do we know that Bradley is actually closer to Altidore than Gomez?
    if that was the case, then wouldnt gomez have gotten more minutes.

Bradley is a professional, and ultra competetive. If it helped the team win, i think we would be willing to part with Jozy. I think its more about getting Jozy proper playing time and getting his confidence back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporting KC have signed Mapp.

Never heard anything about TFC going after him so it looks like we are sticking with our focus of attacking centrally, with wide players but not really wingers.

Hopefully we can land Johnson then because he is a perfect fit for that role at RM.
    Last edited by notthesun; 12-14-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is not going anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uri Rosell anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uri Rosell anyone?
    We'd have to send something to SKC as they hold his rights, but I've said many a few times here he's exactly what we need in a DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget Johnson imo we have Cheyrou and Bradley. Focus on a TRUE DM or some skilled players that can play outwide. He's a luxury we can't afford. Portland can't afford him as a luxury either. He's a good player and I would love him on this team but it doesn't always mean it makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be nice if this club would do some scouting...its 6 mil dollars players or over 30 350k slow players.how about a 250k diamond in the rough maybe from SA..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    We'd have to send something to SKC as they hold his rights, but I've said many a few times here he's exactly what we need in a DM.
    Rosell was sold to Sporting. He would come back to MLS via allocation order
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Rosell was sold to Sporting. He would come back to MLS via allocation order
    I stand corrected. I guess we'd need to send something to whoever has the top spot at the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah theres a couple of quotes in a couple of places that stated that Bradley had a big part in bringing in Altidore, if ya want ill see if i can scrounge em up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    yeah theres a couple of quotes in a couple of places that stated that Bradley had a big part in bringing in Altidore, if ya want ill see if i can scrounge em up.
    I remember that. He was part of it for sure.

But maybe Bradley would be just as happy, or happier, with Will Johnson, plus Gomez, plus whoever Altidore's slot could be used for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But maybe Bradley would be just as happy, or happier, with Will Johnson, plus Gomez, plus whoever Altidore's slot could be used for.
    Ah kk gotcha. Good question indeed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't he take a paycut for Altidore to come?