Page 75 of 98 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a guy like him at his point in his career is just interested in being paid on time.

Anyway, You can expect Altidore to miss some games with injury and various USMNT duties. Even this season there were 10-15 games where we either had Giovinco up top by himself or beside Moore. And when Altidore's healthy and playing we have a meaningful weapon off the bench. It wouldn't be a terrible investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    While I agree Altidore likely isn't going anywhere, I don't understand why Borriello would come here to be a backup (besides a stretch mid-summer when Seba & jozy are gone).
    because he's not gonna get a better offer in anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    because he's not gonna get a better offer in anywhere else.
    Montreal will be desperate for a striker with Cooper and (presumably) Drogba gone.
    Their only FW remaining would be Oduro and Porter.

Add their Italian connection, and surely they'd be willing to offer at least what TFC would, probably more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Montreal will be desperate for a striker with Cooper and (presumably) Drogba gone.
    With their Italian connection, surely they'd be willing to offer at least what TFC would.
    I think they're going to set their sights a little higher. Plus they already used a chunk of TAM to get Venegas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is easily the best offseason in Toronto FC history, even better than the one where we bought the Atomic Ant in

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have personally played against Irwin several times during our tenure in the CSL.
    Smart goalkeeping, he is able to make those key saves when it counts. I liked his communication skills with the defence, they always seemed like they were on the same page and he seemed very comfortable with distribution and ball at his feet. He did struggle a bit on the lower shots but it's been a few years so that has likely improved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    now i remember that face
    always looks like the showed up hungover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the amount we could fit Boriello on the field it would be much smarter to buy an upgraded version of Findley. Aka someone who "replaces" giovinco when gio is gone and actually provides a quality starting 11 option in a 4-3-3 on the opposite side of the field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we still have some TAM to play with.

Who goes to create roster spots? Moore I would say.

Who should we get in? A younger proven DM from South America - Laba with a beard.

Who are we likely to get in? A 3rd forward / AM type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Guys, the whole Giovinco is going to Euro's is not a guarantee... Unless prior to Euros he is playing lights out (even better then last season) and there are multiple injuries I can not seem him being called up. Italy has a lot of secondary strikers, what Italy needs is a true number 9.

So the team needs to figure out if Gomez and Moore are good enough to replace Jozy. I don't think Boriello is the answer, he would cost too much money for what he would bring to the team.
    This. He played well in his substitute appearances but that won't necessarily mean a whole lot. The fact that he is off until March is a significant disadvantage, he'd have to come out just as strong as last season if not better if he is to have a real chance. El Shaarawy seems to be above him in the pecking order even though he's been poor for some time. Insigne hasn't been called but is definitely there ahead of Seba. All in all, I think there is a VERY good chance Seba will be wearing red in June, and even as an Azzurri supporter I'd be just fine with seeing him stay put.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Irwin trade, I'll be very happy with dumping all the remaining TAM to pay for a stud DM. please please please.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    With Irwin trade, I'll be very happy with dumping all the remaining TAM to pay for a stud DM. please please please.
    We're not going after a stud dm 'till the end of this season when Cheyrou's contract expires.

This year the goal is a solid playoff run. Next year it's championship or bust. That's the way the roster is set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson weighing in...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Larson weighing in...

Anyone think Kyle Beckerman could be on the block?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    too expensive and don't have the legs. not that Beckerman was a mobile midfielder in the first place.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am not mistaken, TAM can't be used on current MLS players unless they are DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minus all the pomp and circumstance, this has been arguably our best off season ever. Bez has addressed several key areas of need within the roster with all star calibre players at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    This is easily the best offseason in Toronto FC history, even better than the one where we bought the Atomic Ant in
    Irwin is a great signing. He's a very good keeper and on top of that he fought his way up the hard way after being ignored early in his career. He has a hunger to win.

We really have almost hit it out of the park this off season. Our two worries are that we still lack any significant width and we still don't have a real holding midfielder; Johnston was pretty good when he played the roll at Portland, but I'm still not sure our midfield will be cohesive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    your not serious ... he was brutal against us this season ... he's done

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Irwin is a great signing. He's a very good keeper and on top of that he fought his way up the hard way after being ignored early in his career. He has a hunger to win.

We really have almost hit it out of the park this off season. Our two worries are that we still lack any significant width and we still don't have a real holding midfielder; Johnston was pretty good when he played the roll at Portland, but I'm still not sure our midfield will be cohesive.
    Completely agree, to think Clint began his career in the CSL with Capital City FC for $500 a month and rose to the level of an MLS starter is quite something.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So where does this leave our two young keepers? This signing seems very long term considering the improvements he has already made as a keeper, you would think he could only get better.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So where does this leave our two young keepers? This signing seems very long term considering the improvements he has already made as a keeper, you would think he could only get better.
    One starts for TFC2 while other becomes back up for first team

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Obviously Irwin will start the season as #1 and one of the young'uns will back him up, but it's not as if Clint is some superstar keeper who can't be displaced. If he performs poorly and Q/Bono continue to show good things in TFC2/ACC/training then I'm sure one of them will get a shot at league games as well. In the off chance that all three of them perform well for an extended period of time (let's say like 1-2 years?) we'll definitely have to make some decisions, but both Irwin and Bono should have a lot of interest around the league - both American, Irwin would have a 3-5 year track record of great goalkeeping and would still be relatively young for a GK and Bono would still have great prospective value (he was very highly touted prior to the draft) and would fit perfectly for a team looking for a long term GK option.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This roster is pretty much set, minus a move or two. There is one roster spot left to fill and you could open up another by having someone on a season long lone to TFC2, which in my mind is Jordan Hamilton unless he proves something otherwise. Now could Luke Moore be released, bought out, that is possible for sure. Tsubasa Endoh, Skylar Thomas, Mo Babouli could all be in the mix.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    Obviously Irwin will start the season as #1 and one of the young'uns will back him up, but it's not as if Clint is some superstar keeper who can't be displaced. If he performs poorly and Q/Bono continue to show good things in TFC2/ACC/training then I'm sure one of them will get a shot at league games as well. In the off chance that all three of them perform well for an extended period of time (let's say like 1-2 years?) we'll definitely have to make some decisions, but both Irwin and Bono should have a lot of interest around the league - both American, Irwin would have a 3-5 year track record of great goalkeeping and would still be relatively young for a GK and Bono would still have great prospective value (he was very highly touted prior to the draft) and would fit perfectly for a team looking for a long term GK option.
    This is mls with a low cap ... every team a one weak position ... its where you decide to allocated your $s

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take another look at Bas Ent?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still pining for a DM but I doubt that is going to happen this season.

Forwards concerns me - I think we need a decent enough #5 as Hamilton isn't doing the job and I'm not sold on Moore at #4 as worth his cap hit. I think Gomez is a good #3 and has the touch of a goal scorer still - if his legs don't give out, we've got maybe 1 decent season out of him. Would be nice if we could get some goal scoring out of our midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Take another look at Bas Ent?
    I never know when people are joking on this board but I thought he had excellent potential. His foot speed looked lacking but he served up a great cross. Sort of a bigger Soolsma. We have no width right now, really, and he's playing third-tier over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe we can find another Plata in pt 2 of the draft tomorrow..we have 1 in the 3rd and 2 in the 4th rd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    maybe we can find another Plata in pt 2 of the draft tomorrow..we have 1 in the 3rd and 2 in the 4th rd.
    I thought we traded that 3rd round pick for Irwin?