Page 55 of 98 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2915
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have absolutely no problem with using TAM on a strong keeper. Keepers are completely underrated. Much of RSL's success is due to Rimando. Time and time again I see him make some incredible saves which completely deflates the opponent and keeps his team in the game or with the lead. A quality Goalie is vital to a championship team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with using TAM on a strong keeper. Keepers are completely underrated. Much of RSL's success is due to Rimando. Time and time again I see him make some incredible saves which completely deflates the opponent and keeps his team in the game or with the lead. A quality Goalie is vital to a championship team.
    You nailed it. Keepers are the most underrated position on the pitch.

I would go beyond RSL and point to NYRB who have a great shot stopper in Robles. One of the reasons they've taken home several supporters shields over the past number of years.

I would be cool with TFC spending the majority of our TAM money on a keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumour has it on tweeter-Milan Borjan comubg to TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manager87 View Post
    Rumour has it on tweeter-Milan Borjan comubg to TFC
    He himself shot that down with a sarcastic remark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    You nailed it. Keepers are the most underrated position on the pitch.

I would go beyond RSL and point to NYRB who have a great shot stopper in Robles. One of the reasons they've taken home several supporters shields over the past number of years.

I would be cool with TFC spending the majority of our TAM money on a keeper.
    No doubt. I just wonder why we should be the only team in the league paying several hundred thousand dollars to fill that void when the top keepers in the league earn less than half of that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm worried that the team sees Johnson as the DM solution they needed all of last year. Johnson played his best football on the side of the diamond in RSL, that's where we should play him too. He was not very effective for Portland in a more defensive role.

We have the resources to sign a difference maker from South America or Europe. Each team gets 800k TAM in 2016 and 2017 that they have to use. We can sign a player for 600k and use 450k TAM to bring his budget charge down to 150k. 600k can easily get us another Laba, provided we have the scouting to find him. The rest of the lineup is set, we just need a destroyer to provide some balance in the midfield.

------Giovinco------Altidore------
    --------------Bradley------------
    ------Osorio-----------Johnson---
    --------------New DM------------
    Morrow--Perquis--Moor--Beitashour
    --------------New GK-------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure milan has been retweeting everything to do with himself and #tfc

kid is a great keeper even playing in a champions league game on a emgerency call-up...his current contract expires Dec 31st

his father owns Brantford Galaxy of Csl(canadian soccer league)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I'm worried that the team sees Johnson as the DM solution they needed all of last year. Johnson played his best football on the side of the diamond in RSL, that's where we should play him too. He was not very effective for Portland in a more defensive role.

We have the resources to sign a difference maker from South America or Europe. Each team gets 800k TAM in 2016 and 2017 that they have to use. We can sign a player for 600k and use 450k TAM to bring his budget charge down to 150k. 600k can easily get us another Laba, provided we have the scouting to find him. The rest of the lineup is set, we just need a destroyer to provide some balance in the midfield.

------Giovinco------Altidore------
    --------------Bradley------------
    ------Osorio-----------Johnson---
    --------------New DM------------
    Morrow--Perquis--Moor--Beitashour
    --------------New GK-------------
    Johnson's best season was 2013. Easy. Played the #8 box-to-box role to perfection w/ Portland. Does the same thing for Canada.
    He certainly is useful when he arrives late into the box -- but we have a lot of those... He has never been a top tier defensive midfielder or destroyer.

Bradley-Johnson-Cheyrou-Warner

There just isn't enough diversity in this midfield. No one offers something different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    This. If management thinks Johnson is the guy to sort out DM problems then I've lost all faith Vanney and Bez. Even Cheyrou is better equipped to be a CDM and look where that got them. If Cheyrou is still the best option in the same system come next season it will be quite the damning statement against the competence of this management team.

And just to continue being 'that guy', Forlan is the latest to show interest in coming over now. I wonder what he's even worth nowadays after failing with four clubs in as many years. Moore replacement anyone? LOL.

http://puls.ly/fBsVlQ#http://www.mls...ing-any-offers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This. If management thinks Johnson is the guy to sort out DM problems then I've lost all faith Vanney and Bez. Even Cheyrou is better equipped to be a CDM and look where that got them. If Cheyrou is still the best option in the same system come next season it will be quite the damning statement against the competence of this management team.

And just to continue being 'that guy', Forlan is the latest to show interest in coming over now. I wonder what he's even worth nowadays after failing with four clubs in as many years. Moore replacement anyone? LOL.

http://puls.ly/fBsVlQ#http://www.mls...ing-any-offers
    There are ways to make it work, such as playing a flat back 4231 with two midfielders back most times; but it's incredibly tactically restrictive not to have a midfielder who's primarily defensive. We need a DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most promising thing of all is that these three decent signings have happened so early! It is so un-TFC like to let the players move to the city in advance - settle in and then get a full pre-season together. Gone are the years when we started signing players after the opening game. A keeper and a true DM - though I think a really good coach could convince Bradley to be the DM and he would be good at it. He is not a good box to box mid-fielder in my opinion (though he wants to be).

After we sign the keeper - we will have as complete a squad as we ever had & in reality every MLS team has a few deep flaws with this salary cap system. The thing we need to really contend is some more development surprises - homegrown player who step up to compete in the way Osario has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could make the diamond work now that we have Johnson, just like last year it's going to be really interesting to see how Vanney sets up the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I foresee them doing this:

--------Altidore------------
    ----------Gio---------------
    -----------Bradley----------
    Johnson------------Warner
    -------------Cheyrou--------
    Morrow---Moor--Perquis--beitashour

Not really the biggest fan as WJ is really a luxury item - but not terrible either. We could have improved them team more with a DM or with a competent replacement for Findley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I foresee them doing this:

--------Altidore------------
    ----------Gio---------------
    -----------Bradley----------
    Johnson------------Warner
    -------------Cheyrou--------
    Morrow---Moor--Perquis--beitashour

Not really the biggest fan as WJ is really a luxury item - but not terrible either. We could have improved them team more with a DM or with a competent replacement for Findley.
    Now I wouldn't so far to call him competent or a great replacement but I liked Delgado on that side better than I liked Findley.

I reserve judgment on the seemingly two overlooked spots of need until pre-season. There is still the draft and we need to still do some player dumping so there are chances to move up. It's also early for us to gave gotten things this far done. If come February we gave nothing else then I'll start to worry and bitch. And bring the deathwatch thread back to the top of the board where it belongs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chance Osorio doesn't start .01%

You will see a full starting line up feature these players: Morrow, Moor, Beitashour, Bradley, Johnson, Osorio, Seba, Jozy.
    Sports for grabs: CB (likely perquis), CM/DM (likely Cheyrou), GK (new guy)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any chance/are there any rumors that we will hire a new coach by the start of the season?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frings22 View Post
    Is there any chance/are there any rumors that we will hire a new coach by the start of the season?
    That's off-topic to this thread, please keep this thread focused on players. Post instead in the "Deathwatch" thread. THANKS!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frings22 View Post
    In shirt, no. In long, not happening.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    In shirt, no. In long, not happening.
    Speaking of shirts, Vanney better stick with the Miami Vice look & colours. That's when we had the most success.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Speaking of shirts, Vanney better stick with the Miami Vice look & colours. That's when we had the most success.
    Lulz. I co-sign this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.dundeefc.co.uk/news/dylan-leaves-the-club

Former academy player, Dylan Carreiro, has left Dundee by mutual consent. Not necessarily a position we need reinforcements for, AMC, but he can play on the wing. Wonder if he's good enough for depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Chance Osorio doesn't start .01%

You will see a full starting line up feature these players: Morrow, Moor, Beitashour, Bradley, Johnson, Osorio, Seba, Jozy.
    Sports for grabs: CB (likely perquis), CM/DM (likely Cheyrou), GK (new guy)
    New boss walks in door, says you get goals against average under x or your head is on a stick.

I like Osorio, but faced with that scenario I drop the least defensive player in my midfield and we all know who that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post

Former academy player, Dylan Carreiro, has left Dundee by mutual consent. Not necessarily a position we need reinforcements for, AMC, but he can play on the wing. Wonder if he's good enough for depth.
    TFC II if anything. From what I've seen he's a talented kid but not really athletically built for MLS at this point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post

Spent most of his time in the Scottish 4th division on loan, so it would be a big step up to the first team.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New boss walks in door, says you get goals against average under x or your head is on a stick.

I like Osorio, but faced with that scenario I drop the least defensive player in my midfield and we all know who that is.
    Despite what manning says about needing a certain defensive record, I think results still carry more weight than stats. I have to think that you play whichever players give you the best chance of winning. Anyone would take a 3-2 win over a 1-0 loss or 0-0 draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, but, replace with who? Does that make the team better? If the drop-off in offence without him is greater than the drop-off in defence with him, is he still not starting?

If i'm the coach of the team and given the goal of "X goals against", and your analytics guy tells you "we can do that, but i posit that we would then have a goals for that is < x goals against" you cannot take that higher up and go "It makes us worse, not better"?

I don't think It's a hard number; maybe a ratio, maybe an aggregate, but whatever - I think it's not as cut and dry as anyone thinks. If Vanney wins 5-4 for 10 games straight, so a GAA of 4, which is bad, but 10 wins, is anyone getting fired for that?

Well, probably, given out track record, so maybe you are right... i dunno anymore, i'm just patient waiting for the season to start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree, would prefer to keep him in the starting lineup. He's the only player we have in the midfield with certain qualities.

But I also assume he's going to get the short end of the stick here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been saying this for 2 seasons. Osorio is good at a bunch of little things… he can move the ball around… he can find open spaces… good team guy, hard worker… but he doesn’t exactly excel at anything. Based on my opinion, he’s not got enough or naturally skilled enough to be a playing CAM type of attacker. This includes MLS when if you look at our league most teams have a very skilled player in this role. He’s not fast enough to play out wide as a winger (if that’s your tactical game plan) and he’s not defensive enough to play as a DM. I’m not hating on the guy, but he’s easily expendable. I’m betting one of Cheyrou or Osorio is moved before March. Also if you look at Will Johnson who could be a forimdable RM - I prefer him as well. If he's starting i'm not pulling my hair out because he's not a bad player... but he's expendable. He's not starting in the english championship imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Despite what manning says about needing a certain defensive record, I think results still carry more weight than stats. I have to think that you play whichever players give you the best chance of winning. Anyone would take a 3-2 win over a 1-0 loss or 0-0 draw
    Not Mike Babcock and not me either. (Sorry for the hockey reference) because in the end how far will that get you?

I want a product that has a belief and tactical approach that initiates winning in the long term.

In my opinion you build a team the way you want them to play... your tactical and you ingrain your philopsphy from day 1. None of this ameteaur "all out offense" approach. What Manning and co are doing is so refreshing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio excels at maintaining possession. He's been one of the best in terms of passing percentage since he entered the league, and he's improved in that respect each year. This season he finished 4th in passing percentage at 88.3, second only to Nagbe among advanced players, as this statistic is always littered with defensive mids. And after he really got in form around August he rarely lost the ball on the dribble as well. Having a guy you can trust with the ball in tight situations is a valuable trait to have in midfield.