Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Favour? Could be just as likely the opposite. Not the first timing snafu between Bogers properties announcements.
    That is true the more I think about it, no MLSE president anouncement would really deflect attention away from AA leaving the Jays, especially after the season the Jays had. Just another day as the Boggers world turns in what direction I am not exactly sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My question is the following: is it going to be easier or more difficult for TFC to sign any big name players in the future?

That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way they are going to sell a decrease in payroll to the fan base is consistently being in the playoff's more times then not. TL spending has bought time, we have new big $$$ heroes that grab headlines. If they bring in lean times TFC and we still suck then sorry, good-bye for me. Granted big $$$ doesn't mean success in a capped league and the opposite doesn't mean that either. Problem is now the whole fan base has tasted the best $$$ can buy. Hope the tread carefully.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    My question is the following: is it going to be easier or more difficult for TFC to sign any big name players in the future?

That is all.
    I don't have the answer for you but I know what airline they'll use...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC slashes payroll and become bottom feeders.

Good deals on Air Canada tho.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    TFC slashes payroll and become bottom feeders.
    Become? You mean return right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allez les Rouges.

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Become? You mean return right?
    Haha. We ain't Chicago.... yet.

Or rather we are bottom feeders but we have the league's largest checkbook lol.
    Last edited by pdubs; 10-29-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    TFC spent $17M over the cap to "drive" maybe $5M in revenue.

Leiweke sold it as part of a vision to increase asset value. Your guess is as good as mine as to how the new guy will see it, but I'd look at who Leiweke was before he got here, how Leiweke's stint went, and where this new guy comes from.

Unfortunately for TFC with the fall in the C$ they are now paying $23m to drive maybe $5M in revenue.

Plus, they lose the TL who is really driving the marketing and buttering-up of potential DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Unfortunately for TFC with the fall in the C$ they are now paying $23m to drive maybe $5M in revenue.

Plus, they lose the TL who is really driving the marketing and buttering-up of potential DPs.
    the league is rev sharing, right? we dont know the real loss on TFC but im betting soon enough or already, when giovinco travels tickets go with it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to get too excited about MLSE hiring a "business guy" from a pretty sad industry, over a sports guy. But then, I suppose you have to keep in mind that MLSE owns more than just sports teams.

If he gives his team presidents autonomy to keep doing what they think they need to do, then I'm fine with it. If he doesn't, then I'm not. Would have been the same reaction no matter who they hired.,
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    RE: TFC revenue

In all the AA/Blue Jays hoopla this morning, this little tidbit showed up

Make of it what you will.
    TFC spent $17M over the cap to "drive" maybe $5M in revenue.

Leiweke sold it as part of a vision to increase asset value. Your guess is as good as mine as to how the new guy will see it, but I'd look at who Leiweke was before he got here, how Leiweke's stint went, and where this new guy comes from.
    Note upfront:

- I'm concerned as well about the new prez they hired, because of Air Canada problems, plus no sports- or related experience;

- On the other hand, with the exception of Giovinco, I'm not necessarily so concerned about a possible drop in TFC spending in the future, because plenty of other teams in MLS have shown how you can get much better bang for the buck than TFC has. (Of course no guarantee that TFC will get smarter in that aspect, but it's possible.)

But I still wonder ensco, what do you think about Areathrasher's quote above? Perhaps TFC has done much better with corporate sponsorships than we realized, so maybe things aren't looking as dire financially as you thought?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    But I still wonder ensco, what do you think about Areathrasher's quote above? Perhaps TFC has done much better with corporate sponsorships than we realized, so maybe things aren't looking as dire financially as you thought?
    It's not a remotely fair comment:

(i) What would the naming rights for Skydome be worth on the open market?
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...ence-today.ece

(ii) TFC earns significant dollars from things that aren't available to the Jays (jersey sponsor, Downsview/Kia Training). But that is dwarfed by things the Jays have that TFC can only dream about (let's compare the TFC ratings tonight with the Jays getting 5M+ for every playoff game). You can't cherry pick the one line item that favours TFC and act like that is the whole story

(iii) Let's check this next year. Baseball advertising/marketing dollars will go through the roof next year, this team had the longest playoff drought in baseball and the team was irrelevant and in a deep trough was the corporate sector.

TFC gets those naming and sponsorship dollars with or without Giovinco, although of course the amount must go up with a Giovinco. But if attendance isn't moving much, and TV ratings are still miniscule, then TFC aren't getting much more with Giovinco in this category either. There'd be no basis to get that. The dollars follow the data.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-29-2015 at 03:43 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a remotely fair comment:

(i) What would the naming rights for Skydome be worth on the open market?
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...ence-today.ece

(ii) TFC earns significant dollars from things that aren't available to the Jays (jersey sponsor, Downsview/Kia Training). But that is dwarfed by things the Jays have that TFC can only dream about (let's compare the TFC ratings tonight with the Jays getting 5M+ for every playoff game). You can't cherry pick the one line item that favours TFC and act like that is the whole story

(iii) Let's check this next year. Baseball advertising/marketing dollars will go through the roof next year, this team had the longest playoff drought in baseball and the team was irrelevant and in a deep trough was the corporate sector.
    I wasn't actually interested in that quote as a comparison to the Jays, nor was I meaning any criticism of the Jay's financial record. (I know very little about the Jays.) Thanks for explaining those important points. Just thinking that $21 in corporate sponsorships for TFC is quite significant. Maybe their overall revenue increase after the big signings is more than expected?

EDIT Oh I saw your edit later. In addition to what you wrote about Giovinco's possible impact on sponsorships etc, I bet that Bradley's and Altidore's signings move the needle much less....
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-29-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't actually interested in that quote as a comparison to the Jays, nor was I meaning any criticism of the Jay's financial record. (I know very little about the Jays.) Just thinking that $21 in corporate sponsorships for TFC is quite significant. Maybe their overall revenue increase after the big signings is more than expected?
    I think it is significant. Agreed.

But I believe TFC would get a pretty similar amount whether they have a $5M or a $20M payroll. (Call it $18M or something, if they had a $5M payroll.) This is obviously the conclusion Red Bull came to with respect to NYRB.

Since TV ratings aren't co-relating to payroll, the suits have a failed, or failing, strategy on their hands. Leiweke would argue you need to give it time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is significant. Agreed.

But I believe TFC would get a pretty similar amount whether they have a $5M or a $20M payroll. (Call it $18M or something, if they had a $5M payroll.) This is obviously the conclusion Red Bull came to with respect to NYRB.

Since TV ratings aren't co-relating to payroll, the suits have a failed, or failing, strategy on their hands. Leiweke would argue you need to give it time.
    you can parade your MVP through a shit load ton of things, the Revenue for giovinco has just begun.

Get Ronaldo's marketing guy out here, giovinco needs his own gelato flavour in little italy to his own underwear

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to what you wrote about Giovinco's possible impact on sponsorships etc, I bet that Bradley's and Altidore's signings move the needle much less....
    I'd bet big money that Bradley and Altidore won't be here next year. Gio is a different case, Cristiano ^ might be right about that!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is interesting, I heard on the Fan today, that four people will directly report to the MLSE board. The three team presidents plus the new president, who is essentially the business operations guy. So it gives each person their own autonomy. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd bet big money that Bradley and Altidore won't be here next year. Gio is a different case, Cristiano ^ might be right about that!
    LOL, we were both moving the goal posts a bit with our edits. And as you were posting this short note, I was drafting this longer response:

Specifically with Giovinco, I wonder if there may be an impact on revenue & sponsorship, beyond the numbers shown in TV viewership & ticket sales. Jersey sales are one thing. (I admit -- Seba's sales are good, but not even close to Beckham's MLS sales for example.) However, TFC with Giovinco has been in the news alot, both here & around the world, on social media, etc. Italy call-ups, MVP contender, goals- & teams-of-the-week, and records broken must be worth something both on & off the field.

Also in a revenue-shared league, I think all three of our DPs would have an impact on ticket sales on the road, in US markets. That's likely important to MLS.

I don't really have a clue, but my gut feeling is that a smart exec would say, Giovinco is worth it. Bradley & Altidore probably not; there are likely other players from the US, or Central & South America, who have at least as much impact on the field; almost as much impact off the field; and much less financial hit. (Also no clue if we will have any "smart execs.")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL very well noted, ENSCO.

Tiering is all the rage; here's an example most don't consider: standardized coffee cups at gas stations and stores. They Used to have all difference-sized circumferences. But execs realized that by making the openign the same and just making larger sizes TALLER, People would still fill to the same level BELOW the rim, thereby taking less coffee per ounce as they sized up, despite tiered pricing designed to make people think they were getting more for their money.

That was pretty devious. Cable companies with gold, silver, bronze tiers are another great example; video games with everything a later purchase.

If people let this shit happen, companies will take their money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really have a clue, but my gut feeling is that a smart exec would say, Giovinco is worth it. Bradley & Altidore probably not; there are likely other players from the US, or Central & South America, who have at least as much impact on the field; almost as much impact off the field; and much less financial hit. (Also no clue if we will have any "smart execs.")
    I agree with this. Wild card is Seba with Leiweke gone - not sure he will sign up for this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friisdahl grew up in Denmark. Moved here when he was 13. Soccer was his first love.

That could be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It is interesting, I heard on the Fan today, that four people will directly report to the MLSE board. The three team presidents plus the new president, who is essentially the business operations guy. So it gives each person their own autonomy. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
    That is important info. If TFC is considered a stand alone operation there is still big financial constraint concerns but nothing like if it has to fit in MLSE's cost containment plans.