Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched Drogba's goal a great example of what is wrong with this team defensively, Drogba left all alone in front of an empty net with about 5 or 6 TFC players standing around ball watching just fucken incredible!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Well last night's game proved that TFC didn't deserve that "Playoff" spot.

I now understand why they have that extra game in place. It's to make sure crap teams like TFC have to prove that they actually deserve to be in the playoffs
    If anything that game proved the knockout/wildcard/stupidthing proved there isn't a need for it.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 10-30-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Fucking classless Impact supporter groups have been trying to attack TFC supporters on their way out of the stadium. I hope they make it out safely. They've been through enough tonight.
    My coworker just told me that four of his buddies got attacked after the game last night. two had to get checked out in a hospital. That's all i know though. Apparently when they began to fight back though, the Impact supporters pussied away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those degenerate Impact supporters are setting a nasty precedent the next time they decide to show their faces at BMO Field.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    My first time watching a playoff game....very weird....I still cant understand how they only play one game??? Why not do what the rest of pro-football does and have a home and away tie with away goals etc?
    They do that in the next round. Montreal will play Columbus home and away, with the aggregate deciding.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile How playoffs should be

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    If anything that game proved the knockout/wildcard/stupidthing proved there isn't a need for it.

I agree this one game knock out doesn't even feel like a playoff round. Should all be 2 game aggregate until the Final. Season ends on a Sunday. First game on the immediate Wednesday hosted by lower seeded teams, second game on the following Sunday. Advantage being to higher seeded team getting a weekend crowd. Continue this until final. This way everyone who makes the playoffs gets at least one game at home. I was at the viewing party hosted by TFC. Lots of food, beer and a full crowd. Many left after 3-0 first half though. Support your team through the highs and lows. It was a disappointing end to the season, but it was our best season ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that was our best season ever, I despair for the future of this franchise.

I figure Bez has this off-season to get things right. If there aren't significant improvements in the club by the start of next season, he should be fired or demoted.

Vanney will probably have until mid-season to see what he can do with the parts that Bez provides him in the offseason. If it's more of the same-old-same-old. He should be fired/demoted as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Just watched Drogba's goal a great example of what is wrong with this team defensively, Drogba left all alone in front of an empty net with about 5 or 6 TFC players standing around ball watching just fucken incredible!
    This x2 ... seems the game was over after the 20th minute....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I don't know why people always talk about "not renewing" or "giving up on this club" when we finish a season. Yeah, we were bad, but that's football sometimes. It's our city, let's not just turn our backs on it because the club has disappointed in terms of results. What's the solution to this - to just fold the club and forget about football in this city? There will be new managers and players over the years, but the club will hopefully stay with all of us for life. It's not like MLSE is making a killing from us. Let's be fair here, they spent a lot. And hey, we might even get it right at some point. If someone at Scunthorpe United can stay positive about their club then so can I. (Although they probably hate their club like most people do - football is a curse).

Rather than talk about not renewing we should put pressure on the club to get a better, more experienced coach in charge of this team. We need someone who will command respect from the team. Not saying your Bruce Arena's and Sigi Schmid's don't lose and shit the bed, but not every year. Get someone like that from here, or overseas. But let's fix our tactical approach to the game and understanding of what type of players to get, and how to play them.

Onwards to next season. I'm looking forward to the roof. Argos might fuck up part of the stadium, but I think the improved atmosphere will do wonders for our spirits and will get everybody excited again. Focus on that for the next 5 months, it'll be easier to get through it that way.
    I see your cup of optimism...but....is this repost from the last 7-8 seasons.... make sure you can cut and paste it for next year then....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they were too focused on the Canadian power house goal scorer Bernier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeGuy View Post
    I see your cup of optimism...but....is this repost from the last 7-8 seasons.... make sure you can cut and paste it for next year then....
    Feel free to not renew. But honestly, if winning is the only reason you renew then maybe this is not the sport for you. In fact, forget sports altogether in this city. My take is that it's not about whether or not I want to renew, it's about pushing for a new coach - and an experienced/successful one (never had that). Burning the house down is not a solution to anything except no football in this city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, who won?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    So, who won?
    Payne.

It's Laba v Urruti on Sunday.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its like all of them forgot the basics of football.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeGuy View Post
    How many Argos groundshares have we had to deal with? To say this year has been the same as ever is an incredibly narrow view.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get this "we had a terrible season" vibe I read. We didn't have a "terrible season". Far from it, in fact! We may have ended badly, but that was just it - the ending, not the middle, not the main part of the season or the substantial part of the season.

And we got the most points ever in a TFC season.

We definitely did not have a terrible season.

If people are throwing their toys out of their pram just because we didn't win "everything" this season then you really have a sense of entitlement that you just cannot have as a sports fan. The vast majority of sports teams do not win during a season, not even Chelsea or Man Utd or Barca or Real or Bayern win every season.

Some people should try and be a fan of Accrington Stanley or Torquay United or Didcot Town - and those team have fans that go EVERY week, and never ever see a winning team and will never ever win the Premiership. But do you see their fans leaving in droves when they don't win a season? No.

Toronto sports fans drive me insane sometimes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Payne.

It's Laba v Urruti on Sunday.

Amazing.
    Post of the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a terrible season, but not a great one considering our wage bill.

What is terrible though? Our defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    Not a terrible season, but not a great one considering our wage bill.

What is terrible though? Our defence.
    Exactly. We didn't win anything this year and have outspent almost every team in the league.

Finishing 6th place in a weak eastern conference is not 'progress' when you spend as much as we do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel free to not renew. But honestly, if winning is the only reason you renew then maybe this is not the sport for you. In fact, forget sports altogether in this city. My take is that it's not about whether or not I want to renew, it's about pushing for a new coach - and an experienced/successful one (never had that). Burning the house down is not a solution to anything except no football in this city.
    I don't think anyone is saying winning or losing is the sole determinant for renewing. It's how they lose, how long it's been going on, the character or lack thereof shown, the confidence in the direction of the team, confidence in GM and coach, etc. Also, do you want to keep giving money to MLSE when it hasn't been able to do TFC properly? These are also valid questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    If people are throwing their toys out of their pram just because we didn't win "everything" this season then you really have a sense of entitlement that you just cannot have as a sports fan. The vast majority of sports teams do not win during a season, not even Chelsea or Man Utd or Barca or Real or Bayern win every season.

Some people should try and be a fan of Accrington Stanley or Torquay United or Didcot Town - and those team have fans that go EVERY week, and never ever see a winning team and will never ever win the Premiership. But do you see their fans leaving in droves when they don't win a season?
    But the point is, Toronto considers itself a major league city and takes pride in itself. That is often projected onto its sports teams. Any NA major league sports team should be able to make the playoffs about 50% of the time if they're run properly. Toronto has rarely had that. Leafs, once in 10 years. Blue Jays, once in 22 years. TFC, once in 9 years. The Raptors are the most successful and they've been in the playoffs 3 times in 10 years! Toronto sports fans just want to see something approaching close to the average - but no. Don't you remember the article that said Toronto was the 2nd worst performing sports city, just behind Cleveland? That's what you're seeing here - mounting frustration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    come on, stop this percentage shit. You are going up to $17 dollars. For professional sports. Let's be fair. Lots of other things to bitch about, that's not one.
    And perhaps you can please stop with this $17 shit ... its a diff perspective, but doesn't change the facts, people are pissed right now, especially now. And all you are doing is parroting the official MLSE script response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying winning or losing is the sole determinant for renewing. It's how they lose, how long it's been going on, the character or lack thereof shown, the confidence in the direction of the team, confidence in GM and coach, etc. Also, do you want to keep giving money to MLSE when it hasn't been able to do TFC properly? These are also valid questions.
    You're making my point, though. I have no confidence in the coach, and we (all supporters) should insist on an experienced coach. That's one of the problems we've had since day one: supporters have been okay with inexperience. There's probably still people on here who are okay with that. And I think that's the main reason why we've been shit. You can field the best 11 in the league, but if the coach is bad, then the end result is going to be bad. Let's just get a proper coach already and stop the madness.

But no, I'm not going to walk away from football in this city.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^While I agree that it's not only about winning - having some basic success in nine years as a franchise is not too much to ask when you buy tickets every year and (almost?!) every other franchise in the league has achieved more success in those nine years than we have. A lot of the griping is about a lack of faith in how we are being led both on the field (Vanney) and off (MLSE pricing, Argos on the pitch etc.).

As for those saying that it's only $17 and the 42% number is a little silly to keep throwing around --- I agree that $17 for a "pro" sporting event is not an outrageous sum to pay, and hence why I am renewing for one more year (Gio is worth paying to watch). However, the optics of raising prices after this type of season is awful and does beg the question, will it continue next year despite a lack of success again. The truth is once it goes over $20 I'm out, as the market basically has shown me that I can go in Ticket trader and get tickets to any game this year for $20 or less. I like my seats and the people around me so I stay, raise my tickets another $5-$8 next year and I'm gone. It's not about the extra $200 or so to most people I would imagine, it's the feeling that your "investment (financially and emotionally) as a fan" is being taken for granted irrespective of the product being delivered that rubs people the wrong way. There is a reason why all the "cheap seats" are gone as season tickets and the "expensive/better" ones remain --- there is little perceived value in spending more than $15-$20 a ticket for this franchise based on the results on the pitch and a history of disappointment both on and off the field.

I want this team to succeed and keep giving them my time and my money, I just don't want to feel like I'm a sucker every year for believing that it might get better one day when I keep being shown that it's not substantively so and the people who we are to trust to make it better don't seem to be figuring it out (we spent how much for that Defence?!).....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're making my point, though. I have no confidence in the coach, and we (all supporters) should insist on an experienced coach. That's one of the problems we've had since day one: supporters have been okay with inexperience. There's probably still people on here who are okay with that. And I think that's the main reason why we've been shit. You can field the best 11 in the league, but if the coach is bad, then the end result is going to be bad. Let's just get a proper coach already and stop the madness.

But no, I'm not going to walk away from football in this city.

My point, though, is that it's also perfectly reasonable to decide it's a shit-show that you want no part of. After nine seasons, the manner in which they lost last night will likely influence a few of these decisions. (I'm not arguing for one side or the other. I'm not renewing because I have too many weekends out of town and can't plan around TFC - I'll still go to games, though.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    My point, though, is that it's also perfectly reasonable to decide it's a shit-show that you want no part of. After nine seasons, the manner in which they lost last night will likely influence a few of these decisions. (I'm not arguing for one side or the other. I'm not renewing because I have too many weekends out of town and can't plan around TFC - I'll still go to games, though.)
    You can choose not to be part of it, but I choose to try and influence the club with my voice to move in the right direction of hiring a proper coach. It's the only thing we've never tried.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I don't get this "we had a terrible season" vibe I read. We didn't have a "terrible season". Far from it, in fact! We may have ended badly, but that was just it - the ending, not the middle, not the main part of the season or the substantial part of the season.

And we got the most points ever in a TFC season.

We definitely did not have a terrible season.
    We also didn't have a good one. Beyond the numbers, the playoff, and the inflated points totals from playing Eastern scrubs we just didn't get much better than last season. Same problems that ended our year last year continued this year. We never looked to be a strong side. Every now and then we looked great but mostly average or poor but never consistent. Even during our final long home stretch, I never saw us as hitting a stride or looking like we could go on a run. Even the 4 match win streak was scraped together and never looked convincing. Actually not much convincing about our overall play all year. Defense was consistently dodgy and our offense was either firing on all cylinders or totally inept and often looking like the players had no idea what they were supposed to be doing.

I am not judging my thoughts on 2015 based on points totals or any of that. I am looking at what we did match in and match out and whether I think things are for sure heading in an upward direction and I can't say they are. Does anyone honestly think that if we keep the status quo that we will have 49 points and a playoff berth next year? We will get 21 points against squads as bad as Philly, Orlando, and Colorado next year? Are all these records we set just propped up by poor teams we played? Maybe, and I am not biting on them.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 10-30-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make John Terry an offer...hed sort the defence out

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    My first time watching a playoff game....very weird....I still cant understand how they only play one game??? Why not do what the rest of pro-football does and have a home and away tie with away goals etc?
    Well most of pro football doesn't have playoffs anyway, so...

And many leagues with playoffs have some kind of wildcard games, where teams on the verge of qualifying have to play an extra game to advance. Playing a single game at the higher-seeded team helps to place a higher value on the regular season standings, and that's good. All in all not surprising to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Is that a comparison? It would be 11 v 100+ players. I wonder if a unicorn could beat a pegasus?
    Actually it's even worse that. TFC has signed a total of about 210 players over the 9 years. Subtract the current squad, and you still get close to 200 players on the "alumni" team.

Only thing that might help the current squad, is if all the previous TFC coaches have to get together to manage the alumni team. They would fight with each other so badly, the current squad might actually have a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Is that a comparison? It would be 11 v 100+ players. I wonder if a unicorn could beat a pegasus?
    Haha, well played. A select 11 then....