RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today's News, Thursday,Oct. 22

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw this interesting article at Grantland:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/so...diego-simeone/

This little except caught my eye:
    Among next year’s crop of judges, some of the names are the same, but the titles sure have changed: Dr. Ian Graham, head of research, Liverpool FC; Sam Green, data scientist, Aston Villa FC; Devin Pleuler, analytics manager, Toronto FC; Ted Knutson, head of player analytics, Smartodds (Brentford FC and FC Midtjylland); and Johannes Harkins, advanced analyst, Opta. Gone are the times when work that was being done in the public sphere was being ignored by clubs at large. Now, Arsene Wenger talks about expected goals in press conferences.
    Wow, I didn't think TFC was that highly regarded.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Devin Pleuler, analytics manager, Toronto FC
    Interesting! Though it's a small industry and he came from one of the few companies in it, so I guess the connection holds strong. I'm surprised we didn't hear more about him this season. He probably crunched the numbers that said if they got Giovinco on a jet to land at 3:45 on that fateful Wednesday (geezus, was that last week!?!?), that he could score in the second half. haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make me wonder if that list that Lieweke notes was created by Devin. If Giovinco was at the top of that list, then I'm betting there are a ton of teams who would like to see the rest of that list - probably undervalued players who are tops in their respective statistical categories - ideal for MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Make me wonder if that list that Lieweke notes was created by Devin. If Giovinco was at the top of that list, then I'm betting there are a ton of teams who would like to see the rest of that list - probably undervalued players who are tops in their respective statistical categories - ideal for MLS.
    Devin arrived after Giovinco so no. He's probably more involved in match/training statistics and trends and probably not with player acquisitions. That being said, he's still a hell of a hire for us.