Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leiweke's post MLSE landing spot - Miami!

Here's a player move for you, actually that should be Playa Move - Tim Leiweke just signed onto Beckham's Miami investment group and appears to be taking some leadership role moving the stadium deal process along.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...e40502391.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not surprising, especially after reading about Leiweke's "courtship" of Beckham before he signed for the Galaxy. Wonder if its just a temporary thing to get the team off the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One would have to think this isn't a long-term thing unless there is a longer-term, bigger vision for the business side of things or he's been given some type of equity stake that's guiding this. Going from a CEO of one of the biggest sports organizations in the world, certainly in North America, to a start-up almost-but-not-quite-real football team seeking to set up in a Florida swamp is a step down otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cdnorman View Post
    One would have to think this isn't a long-term thing unless there is a longer-term, bigger vision for the business side of things or he's been given some type of equity stake that's guiding this. Going from a CEO of one of the biggest sports organizations in the world, certainly in North America, to a start-up almost-but-not-quite-real football team seeking to set up in a Florida swamp is a step down otherwise.
    TL is passionate about football and this could be just another side project for him, I think we are lucky to have had him be our president.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    TL is passionate about football and this could be just another side project for him, I think we are lucky to have had him be our president.
    i agree, shame he never felt this was home here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the comments on the MLS website, it's interesting to see how the Miami bid gains instant credibility with the TL addition.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Reading the comments on the MLS website, it's interesting to see how the Miami bid gains instant credibility with the TL addition.
    well, he knows a lot about where a lot of bodies are buried... has leverage and influence with decision makers at MLS FO and owners
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus I am massively surprised. If this is true.

His whole LA 2024 Olympic bid CEO thing must have blown up. That was supposed to be a done deal.

Leiweke brings almost nothing to the table here. The Beckham group don't need MLS chops, they have a team, they need South Florida political/real estate development credibility. This is Beckham doing Leiweke a solid.

This must mean MLSE are getting ready to name a new CEO, and Leiweke, against the odds, is caught out and needs a gig.

Wow.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-20-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some element of this might be to shore up Garber and other MLS bigwigs. I've wondered just how long their patience would run. It's been an absolute shitshow since the first glitzy announcement. Also, the various key players in Miami might be sick to death of Beckham's people by now, Tim L comes in as a guy who has a track record of getting things done (mainly referencing his AEG background more than MLSE).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Jesus I am massively surprised. If this is true.

His whole LA 2024 Olympic bid CEO thing must have blown up. That was supposed to be a done deal.

Leiweke brings almost nothing to the table here. The Beckham group don't need MLS chops, they have a team, they need South Florida political/real estate development credibility. This is Beckham doing Leiweke a solid.

This must mean MLSE are getting ready to name a new CEO, and Leiweke, against the odds, is caught out and needs a gig.

Wow.
    I keep saying it: he doubled down on Defoe and lost. It was Nelsen's man and connection, so he went first. But Lieweke sold the farm to get him over, went over and wooed his mom etc. Bez was left clear as he wasn't the one who made the call.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I keep saying it: he doubled down on Defoe and lost. It was Nelsen's man and connection, so he went first. But Lieweke sold the farm to get him over, went over and wooed his mom etc. Bez was left clear as he wasn't the one who made the call.
    I don't think it's just Defoe - I think it's the overall pattern of spending at TFC.

$100M committed to three players, with not much impact on attendance (maybe a few thousand a game, for a few games) and zero impact on TV ratings, would get anyone fired.

I'm afraid any/all of the DPs are gone, if anyone will take them.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-21-2015 at 06:53 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder what happened with that ticket company he was supposedly setting up.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So negative, aren't we? I took it as something positive. Now that his favourite project (TFC) has a President and the ship seems righted, he's finally ready to leave for a new gig.

Assuming that he was passed over for the Olympic bid is pure speculation. He may have turned down the job for any number of reasons. For example, if he didn't have the power to select his own team, I couldn't see him taking the job.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$100M committed to three players, with not much impact on attendance (maybe a few thousand a game, for a few games) and zero impact on TV ratings, would get anyone fired.
    You have to take that in context. TFC are paying $18,365,555.67 per year for 3 players on a $21.92 million payroll. The Raptors are paying $35.7 million/yr for Demarre Carroll, Kyle Lowry, and DeMar DeRozan on a 74.2 million payroll. The Leafs are paying $17.55 million/yr for Horton, Lupul and Phaneuf on a $71 million payroll. The Jays are paying $46 million/yr for Buerhle, Bautista, and Dickey on a $138.3 million payroll. I don't think TFC's numbers are excessive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the city of Miami is ready to put the Miami FC stadium deal to a referendum vote. Of course the vote won't be until March of next year which means 2018 would probably be the earliest we'd see the team up and running.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...ue-in-december
    A vote on a proposed soccer stadium for David Beckham's potential MLS club could go before the Miami city commission as early as December, with a referendum going before Miami voters in March, according to several Miami politicians and officials.
    Beckham's group, Miami Beckham United, is currently in negotiations with the city of Miami to acquire a plot of land adjacent to Marlins Park. Beckham's group is also in negotiations with private entities to acquire some additional parcels needed for the stadium.
    Beckham acquired the option to buy a team with a discounted expansion fee of $25 million when he signed with the LA Galaxy back in 2007. Current expansion fees are now over $100 million.
    "I think we're all optimistic that it's going to happen," said Miami city commissioner Frank Carollo, in whose district the proposed stadium would be built. "Now it's just making sure that it's a good deal all around for the city of Miami, for the Beckham group, and the residents of the city of Miami."
    Miami city manager Daniel J. Alfonso confirmed via email that the goal is to put the land portion of the deal before the city commission when it meets in December. He also indicated that eminent domain wouldn't be needed to acquire any additional parcels, a development that is welcomed by Miami city commissioner Francis Suarez.
    "Stadium deals are looked at down here with a great amount of suspicion," he said via telephone. "Using the power of government for something like that is not something that would be welcome. I have not heard that word used yet in the context of the stadium, and I'm hoping not to hear it."
    If all goes well before the commission, then a referendum will be put on the ballot in March. The exact date will likely be March 15, the same date as the Florida presidential primary, which Carollo noted will help increase turnout.
    One significant concern that remains is the amount of power that Miami Marlins have over any proposed stadium. A report from the Miami Herald indicated that the terms of the Marlins' lease give the Major League Baseball club veto power over the dates in which the soccer stadium could be used, as well as the naming rights.
    When asked about those issues, Alfonso said, "Those discussions [with the Marlins] are taking place."
    Carollo struck a more optimistic tone.
    "I can tell you the Marlins have expressed that they would like to have the stadium as a neighbor and that they would try to cooperate to also make it happen," he said. "Right now, there aren't any issues."
    A Beckham spokesman declined to comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the article referenced above that details the laundry list of stipulations that any new soccer stadium would have to meet if is located next to their place. It's crazy.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2015/0...-tougher-game/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    You have to take that in context. TFC are paying $18,365,555.67 per year for 3 players on a $21.92 million payroll. The Raptors are paying $35.7 million/yr for Demarre Carroll, Kyle Lowry, and DeMar DeRozan on a 74.2 million payroll. The Leafs are paying $17.55 million/yr for Horton, Lupul and Phaneuf on a $71 million payroll. The Jays are paying $46 million/yr for Buerhle, Bautista, and Dickey on a $138.3 million payroll. I don't think TFC's numbers are excessive.
    Wrong context. These apples/oranges comparisons make me nuts.

Raptors are spending 1.5-2x what the lower payroll team in the NBA spends (really it's 1.5x, the Sixers are a special case). Plus there is a pretty high correlation between spending, winning percentage, and attendance/ratings in the NBA.
    http://blog.surepayroll.com/nba-payrolls-2014-2015/

TFC spending is 6x what the lower spending teams spend. I'm going to say that again, slowly. SIX TIMES. Double that of any team not in NY or LA. Even worse, those lower spending teams, unlike in the NBA, are all competitive on field (in fact the top 3 are all contenders)
    http://www.thegoatparade.com/2015/7/...ig-compete-now

Not only are we spending $15M more a year, we are wasting it (from a straight business return POV), and we are committed to doing this for 4 more years

This is how people get fired.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-21-2015 at 11:22 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's just Defoe - I think it's the overall pattern of spending at TFC.

MLS TV ratting are what they are, expecting to explode to anywhere somewha near NHL levels in this country is pretty pie in the sky. Avg attendence is only up less than a 1,000, at least reported, so who knows whats real, I suspect much less. I have to believe that the attendence is pretty close to what is being announced because if it is not you can expose yourself from a tax standpoint.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much impact on attendance.

Cue Pook to come in and say attendance could've been even close to similar if we had kept the other DP's who can remain nameless this once since they weren't recognizable names in the first place.

These moves saved attendance. I love anyone who thought it would boost it much higher than it did. Incredible optimism.

Look at our city right now as an (mixed fruit) example. Regardless of the sport, this city wants bigger names than they need and don't go to games as a casual or bandwagoner till its close to playoffs.

Are the numbers and ratios for Toronto to get attention ridiculous? Of course.
    Could we have got the attendance we did if we were spending and even winning like those thrifty league leaders?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Not much impact on attendance.

Cue Pook to come in and say attendance could've been even close to similar if we had kept the other DP's who can remain nameless this once since they weren't recognizable names in the first place.

These moves saved attendance. I love anyone who thought it would boost it much higher than it did. Incredible optimism.

Look at our city right now as an (mixed fruit) example. Regardless of the sport, this city wants bigger names than they need and don't go to games as a casual or bandwagoner till its close to playoffs.

Are the numbers and ratios for Toronto to get attention ridiculous? Of course.
    Could we have got the attendance we did if we were spending and even winning like those thrifty league leaders?
    So let's say average attendance was 20K, and would have been 15K without the 3 DPs. 5K x $40 avg ticket price x 18 games is $3.6M. Add a million dollars in merchandise profit.

Presented with that, what do you think the Board thinks of the $15M incremental spend? Which they may have to keep doing for 4 years.

Leiweke's argument was that he was building franchise value. But I don't see it.

Breaks my heart - I hate to see Gio go. But that is pretty much a certainty imho

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let's say average attendance was 20K, and would have been 15K without the 3 DPs. 5K x $40 avg ticket price x 18 games is $3.6M. Add a million dollars in merchandise profit.

Presented with that, what do you think the Board thinks of the $15M incremental spend? Which they may have to keep doing for 4 years.

Leiweke's argument was that he was building franchise value. But I don't see it.

Breaks my heart - I hate to see Gio go. But that is pretty much a certainty imho
    Not saying the board will see the value as worthwhile or that anyone won't go.

What I'm saying is how desperate it was before those 3DP's were here.

I think your 15K is even bias/rose coloured/optimistic. We had some real shockers for attendance that weren't going to get better without some big barker games - I'm sorry, I mean PLAYER NAMES.

Appreciate your insight as always BTW.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they sell Giovinco without him trying to force his way out I will never come back to watch TFC. I'm sure a lot of people feel this way with the way MLSE has run this organization since day one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only are we spending $15M more a year, we are wasting it (from a straight business return POV), and we are committed to doing this for 4 more years

This is how people get fired.
    We really won't know if it's a waste until the 4 seasons are complete and they can do a profit/loss analysis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they sell Giovinco without him trying to force his way out I will never come back to watch TFC. I'm sure a lot of people feel this way with the way MLSE has run this organization since day one.
    Of course you're right, but it's too ludicrous to even contemplate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Not saying the board will see the value as worthwhile or that anyone won't go.

What I'm saying is how desperate it was before those 3DP's were here.

I think your 15K is even bias/rose coloured/optimistic. We had some real shockers for attendance that weren't going to get better without some big barker games - I'm sorry, I mean PLAYER NAMES.

Appreciate your insight as always BTW.
    That might be true, and is for sure true if the team weren't a playoff contender. We could not take any more 0-9 starts.

Thanks for your kind words

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To give you perspective, my friend owns one of the largest soccer stores in the GTA... After year 3 till this past winter he did not sell a lot of TFC gear as the team was terrible and for all of the hype of Bradley, Defoe and Gilberto it did no better then the previous years. Fast forward to this past offseason and the signing of Giovinco it all changed. The amount of jerseys he sold this year alone is almost the same amount as the past 5 years combined and 95% have Giovinco on the back.

With an attendance slowly increasing, all the boxes now on the east side and the additional merchandise being sold and a potential home p******** game. TFC is recouping some of the money being spent. Now with the sponsorship of both the jersey and the stadium deals up after the season and a competitive team on the pitch which means more people which includes additional concessions sales the revenue will continue to trend upwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    To give you perspective, my friend owns one of the largest soccer stores in the GTA... After year 3 till this past winter he did not sell a lot of TFC gear as the team was terrible and for all of the hype of Bradley, Defoe and Gilberto it did no better then the previous years. Fast forward to this past offseason and the signing of Giovinco it all changed. The amount of jerseys he sold this year alone is almost the same amount as the past 5 years combined and 95% have Giovinco on the back.

With an attendance slowly increasing, all the boxes now on the east side and the additional merchandise being sold and a potential home p******** game. TFC is recouping some of the money being spent. Now with the sponsorship of both the jersey and the stadium deals up after the season and a competitive team on the pitch which means more people which includes additional concessions sales the revenue will continue to trend upwards.

giovinco on world high reels = sponsorship. TFC may not be growing as fast as we would like at home, but abroad its no longer an unknown.

we need to convince fans with a few seasons of playoffs before alot of the disgruntled fans come back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, at this point, Giovinco leaving would be the straw that broke the camels back with this franchise.

The people would leave in droves and probably never come back as long as the team was owned by MLSE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Leiweke Unplugged" ... The Ultimate Entertainer cleaning up loose ends. First and foremost, totally nuking the "Bez is the guy that actually signed Gio" story that got a lot of airtime a few months back.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/21...s-dishes-on-15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Leiweke Unplugged" ... The Ultimate Entertainer cleaning up loose ends. First and foremost, totally nuking the "Bez is the guy that actually signed Gio" story that got a lot of airtime a few months back.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/21...s-dishes-on-15
    Really? I don't think it nukes anything.

I don't really give a shit who made the deal but from strictly Larson's pieces alone, one party went to Turin, wined and dined Gio and his agent. The other party made a phone call to Mark Abbott.

That's not nuking anything.