Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What did Jozy say?

What could a player say on the bench that would warrant a straight red card?

What did Jozy say? Will we ever find out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could only really see something racist, homophobic or other hateful language being enough for a straight red. I'm pretty certain that refs/linesmen are used to regular 'You suck' or 'Your Mom' type of stuff.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on the broadcast last night they asked KJ (who was pitch side) what was said and it was something directed at the linesman over the missed penalty call on the previous play. The linesman complained to the 4th official about being verbally abused and at the start they incorrectly showed the red to Seba.

I think it was a case where the ref was demonstrating a weakness for that kind of thing (he gave that yellow to Jackson over an improper throw in) and the assistant reported something that got jumped all over by the ref.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if they appeal the red card?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson is tweeting that Jozy seems quite confident a suspension won't be supported this weekend. Lets see how this plays out.

Thread title reminds me of this:
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sit near KJ and asked him once it died down, altidore was told to shut up three times prior

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not confident in the leagues review process. lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fairly certain he said "Well gee Mr Linesman, could you please inform the referee that he should go see an optometrist forthwith. Thank you sir!".

I have no idea why the linesman would ever take offence to that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, was Delgado dragged down in the box? It sure looked like it from up in 225, and we probably put Altidore to shame with our yelling at the ref. Anyone watching at home have a better perspective (i.e. replay)?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it Jozy who does the "cheer respectfully or you'll be ejected" bit on the video board before the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    So, was Delgado dragged down in the box? It sure looked like it from up in 225, and we probably put Altidore to shame with our yelling at the ref. Anyone watching at home have a better perspective (i.e. replay)?
    It was a dive. Good call by the ref. First I thought it was a jersey tug and a trip but Delgado dove. Have seen that given tho lol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    It was a dive. Good call by the ref. First I thought it was a jersey tug and a trip but Delgado dove. Have seen that given tho lol.
    I don't agree with that. I was at the game so there was no replay there. However I pulled it up on MLS Live afterwards, and watched it a couple of times. The NYRB defender puts his arm halfway around Delgado's waist; doesn't tug his jersey. The ball was still within Delgado's reach before. You can say "Delgado went down easy" but that's much harder to decide. For sure the NY player intended & succeeded to impede Delgado.

I didn't get into it in the game thread because mostly I'm happy, but there were some pretty awful (non-) calls by the ref. I can understand that TFC players & coaches would have been pissed. NY players repeatedly charged into the backs of TFC players with elbows & knees first, going for headers, and were never called on it. In one case, a NY player went up & over Gomez for a header, while Gomez made no attempt to move into the way of the NY player, yet Gomez was called for a foul.

There were also some 50/50 calls that went in TFC's favour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it was a dive then Marky should have been given a yellow.

This is a typical "no call" by the ref here - its either a penalty or a yellow for a dive, it can't be a "nothing really happened here" incident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't agree with that. I was at the game so there was no replay there. However I pulled it up on MLS Live afterwards, and watched it a couple of times. The NYRB defender puts his arm halfway around Delgado's waist; doesn't tug his jersey. The ball was still within Delgado's reach before. You can say "Delgado went down easy" but that's much harder to decide. For sure the NY player intended & succeeded to impede Delgado.

I didn't get into it in the game thread because mostly I'm happy, but there were some pretty awful (non-) calls by the ref. I can understand that TFC players & coaches would have been pissed. NY players repeatedly charged into the backs of TFC players with elbows & knees first, going for headers, and were never called on it. In one case, a NY player went up & over Gomez for a header, while Gomez made no attempt to move into the way of the NY player, yet Gomez was called for a foul.

There were also some 50/50 calls that went in TFC's favour.
    If that is called while we were defending we would be up in arms. If called, I think it would have been incredibly soft. During live looked like a pen but the replay they were showing on the tv at home was clear. You said it yourself, no jersey tug. He also was not tripped. I thought the defender did quite well actually, did not lunge or bear hug Delgado. On tv replay looked like Delgado was looking for it an went down very easily. He wasn't flamboyant about it tho and that is probably why no yellow was giving for diving. Haven't found a replay of it now this morning but honestly glad it was a no call.

The ref let a lot go throughout the game on both sides. Herq got an elbow on one of their guys don't think their is a replay of that tho. Red Bulls were overly aggressive but we responded and the ref largely let it play out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    If it was a dive then Marky should have been given a yellow.

This is a typical "no call" by the ref here - its either a penalty or a yellow for a dive, it can't be a "nothing really happened here" incident.
    Okay not a clear cut dive because he was not flaying about ala Robben. Delgado looks to me to have gone down soft, again the defender did not jersey tug or lunge out. Wish we could dig up a replay but I was watching on the big screen no MLS live for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Is it Jozy who does the "cheer respectfully or you'll be ejected" bit on the video board before the game?
    I think you're right. That's absolutely hilarious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay not a clear cut dive because he was not flaying about ala Robben. Delgado looks to me to have gone down soft, again the defender did not jersey tug or lunge out. Wish we could dig up a replay but I was watching on the big screen no MLS live for me.
    you don't have to swan dive with 15 rolls on the ground like Robben to be diving, lol.

Delgado did wave his hands after the "challenge" to look for a penalty call, so he was clearly claiming for some kind of decision to be made by the ref.

I think the fact that Delgado was running away from goal at the time may have swayed the ref in the end of the day. If he was running towards the goal then he might have made a call (or he would definitely HAD to make a call).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what he should have said was nothing, not his role on the bench to argue those calls, as dumb a red as you'll get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it could be that JA said something so out of bounds the ref had to act (or was persistently saying something out of bounds). Or it could be be JA was giving the AR the usual chirping from the bench and the dude overreacted. The latter is just as possible as the former.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure who the 4th official was (never seen him do a TFC game) but from my view in the stands he seemed very arrogant barking orders at Vanney and standing in front of the TFC bench a lot. My gut is he had a lot to do with the red card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not confident in the leagues review process. lol
    Except it's not the league that reviews red cards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that is called while we were defending we would be up in arms. If called, I think it would have been incredibly soft. During live looked like a pen but the replay they were showing on the tv at home was clear. You said it yourself, no jersey tug. He also was not tripped. I thought the defender did quite well actually, did not lunge or bear hug Delgado. On tv replay looked like Delgado was looking for it an went down very easily. He wasn't flamboyant about it tho and that is probably why no yellow was giving for diving. Haven't found a replay of it now this morning but honestly glad it was a no call.

The ref let a lot go throughout the game on both sides. Herq got an elbow on one of their guys don't think their is a replay of that tho. Red Bulls were overly aggressive but we responded and the ref largely let it play out.
    I am all for physical defending, but you cannot wrap your arm around the attacking players to restrain him that is a foul, and it is a foul whether the attacking went down easy or not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I am all for physical defending, but you cannot wrap your arm around the attacking players to restrain him that is a foul, and it is a foul whether the attacking went down easy or not.
    Exactly. And it's one thing if it happens in a big muddle of bodies, like on a corner kick. Then it can be really hard to see who did what in front of goal, and there are often multiple borderline fouls happening at the same time. This foul was in the open, one-on-one, easy to see.

It just didn't smell right. Similar to the red card to Altidore, when Jesse Marsch was jawing much more. Like the 6 minutes extra time, when TFC would never get more than 2 or 3 minutes extra in a similar situation.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-16-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ref made the correct call. No PK. Jozy should have kept his mouth shut.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some interesting comments on the MLS website, and not just from TFC fans. Apparently the 4th official is a real piece of work:

Vincent Gordon

"The first half was marked by a strange moment when Altidore was red-carded while sitting on the bench for foul and abusive language directed at the fourth official."

The box score lists Daniel Radford as the 4th official--that's the same ref that got his match notebook torn up by Clint Dempsey in the infamous Seattle/Portland USOC match last summer. Gotta wonder what Jozy said...
    Response from a NYRB fan:
    He probably said "I'm gonna tear your f'king notebook too"
    BCougB:
    Obviously I don't know what was Jozy said, but I do see that in the fourteen matches in his career where Radford worked the Center (all NASL or Open Cup), he's dished out 82 yellows and 14 red cards. Those are insane numbers.

Now he's expanding his repertoire to passing them out when he's the AR and the players aren't even on the field.

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/footb...d.6190.en.html
    Bort 5

the guy averages 5.85 yellows and 1 red PER GAME. maybe the cards got superglued to his hands?
    On the other hand, not everyone agrees with those comments on the site. Overall I would say, Altidore should keep his mouth shut, and that ref should never be allowed near a soccer field again. I've seen some of his other work -- that guy is atrociously bad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is particularly despised on the MLS site. First of all for not doing well at Sunderland, then for injuring himself during the World Cup and then for coming back here as against staying in Europe. I don't get it but they do love a scapegoat those USMNT fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just jozy getting in the way of jozy again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    The ref made the correct call. No PK. Jozy should have kept his mouth shut.
    He had his arm wrapped around Delgado's side. Jesus H, that's a penalty whether he goes down or not. North America has weird perspectives on what is and isn't a foul. You can't hug the other guy, or tug him. Period. Shoulder barge, even that's dangerous unless you're clearly from the side and not the back.

And the fact that Delgado "sold it" shouldn't have any play in the decision at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    What Trane said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC John View Post
    What could a player say on the bench that would warrant a straight red card?

What did Jozy say? Will we ever find out?
    "Remember to take notes about the lousy penalty call." That might've done it. Or maybe "Clint should've torn more than the notebook."