Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Sponsorship? Any word?

Was just thinking about this, does anyone know about the sponsorship situation? Any idea if BMO has reconsidered, given TFC's new-found glory with Giovinco? Last two games ahead, and I know they will be clearing out all the merchandise. But, not sure I want to get anything BMO-crested if the sponsorship is changing next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Was just thinking about this, does anyone know about the sponsorship situation? Any idea if BMO has reconsidered, given TFC's new-found glory with Giovinco? Last two games ahead, and I know they will be clearing out all the merchandise. But, not sure I want to get anything BMO-crested if the sponsorship is changing next year.
    That is a great question.

Last year we thought it would be the final year for BMO as they were clearing out at a BIG discount all merchandise with BMO on it. We were disappointed because we wanted to update our hats and scarfs (no BMO crest) but they would not give us the 50% off discounts! We have two more matches at home to see what happens this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a bit of inside information (I'm not usually this cool). This is from a couple inside folks within the banking / sports sponsorship areas.

So BMO as a company is moving towards basketball as their main sport affiliation. This year BMO was "given" the TFC shirts as part of a bigger deal to get the $$ for the Raptors. Thats why there was such a big delay in announcing the sponsorship as they were dotting the ii's in the bigger deal. Next year the TFC shirts will be a new sponsor. They are actively shopping right now.

BMO basketball news:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23352385/
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-with-bmo.html
    https://newsroom.bmo.com/press-relea...03090995851001
    http://www.adweek.com/agencyspy/fcb-...sketball/95124
    Last edited by KGH; 10-13-2015 at 02:48 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the BMO sponsorship deal up at the end of this season? I can't remember how many years they extended the original agreement. It would not come as a surprise at all if they extended it again, but hard to tell what the price would be. All the big name companies around are wanting to get on the Blue Jays bandwagon, so TFC may be getting a little overlooked by potential future sponsors.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was up last year and there was a 1 year extension this year.

http://www.thestar.com/business/spor...y-sponsor.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real interesting thing is I think the BMO field deal is up this year (Its was a 10 year deal signed in 2005) so they may be shopping for a new field sponsor as well:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/toronto-cit...-deal-1.536727

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    The real interesting thing is I think the BMO field deal is up this year (Its was a 10 year deal signed in 2005) so they may be shopping for a new field sponsor as well:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/toronto-cit...-deal-1.536727
    If it was a 10 year deal it would make sense that the 10 years started in 2007 when the stadium opened and not when it was signed. That would give it a couple more years as BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    If it was a 10 year deal it would make sense that the 10 years started in 2007 when the stadium opened and not when it was signed. That would give it a couple more years as BMO Field.
    Looks Like it started Sept 2006 based on this press release:

http://www.bmo.com/bmo/files/news%20...sep2006_en.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. There are two sponsorships though, the shirts, and the field. Is BMO giving up naming rights to both? Perhaps that's why I didn't see some of the merchandise I've seen in the past (e.g., red rain jackets, heavy field jacks etc.).

I have a bit of inside information (I'm not usually this cool). This is from a couple inside folks within the banking / sports sponsorship areas.

So BMO as a company is moving towards basketball as their main sport affiliation. This year BMO was "given" the TFC shirts as part of a bigger deal to get the $$ for the Raptors. Thats why there was such a big delay in announcing the sponsorship as they were dotting the ii's in the bigger deal. This year the TFC shirts will be a new sponsor. They are actively shopping right now.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes they are giving up both, if I'm not mistaken the Stadium deal ran till the end of this year... The jersey till the end of last year. So instead of finding a major new sponsor for both they extended the jersey one more year (this year) to have the negotiating ability to sell both separate or together which ever yields the most amount of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn. That's going to change the look big time. So at least bmo field will always be our house. Coz when arogos move in it will not be BMO field any more

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they dont renew the stadium name I hope the new sponsor is somehow called "Home of the Reds"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope they don't change seats to blue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets all chip in and buy the naming rights. "Red Patch Bowl", anyone? Come on, I got $10 in my pocket.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the naming right for the stadium were for twenty years? Wikipedia suggests it is.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I thought the naming right for the stadium were for twenty years? Wikipedia suggests it is.
    From the link you posted: The remaining funds came from MLSE, which paid $10 million for the naming rights of the stadium for the duration of the 20-year management agreement, which they later resold to the Bank of Montreal for $27 million over the first 10 years.

P.S.
    How do you link a web page like you did with the text like that?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonfiaLaRete View Post

P.S.
    1. Type your message
    2. Copy the link address you want to insert
    3. Highlight the text you want to put the link into
    4. Hit the link icon in the Reply options (little picture of planet with a link in front of it)
    5. Paste in your copied address
    6. Enjoy

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    1. Type your message
    2. Copy the link address you want to insert
    3. Highlight the text you want to put the link into
    4. Hit the link icon in the Reply options (little picture of planet with a link in front of it)
    5. Paste in your copied address
    6. Enjoy

Here is my go at it!!!

Edit: Easy enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you think the argos & grey cup is at the ex next year. MLSE wants maximize the price its gets for the stadium name for the final 10 years, to help pay for the stadium reno. Maybe someone like Canadian Tire will step up.

As for the jersey sponsor, like most people said Kia will probably step up for the minimum (which i believe is US$500k). Or else Rogers and Bell will alternate, if they can't find one. Don't see any other TFC sponsors stepping up. Just an excuse to sell more jerseys for ML$E
    Last edited by Qman; 10-13-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I've been a West Ham fan for 30 years. I probably have 6 jerseys with different sponsorships. It's what makes collecting your favourite teams Jerseys part of the appeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonfiaLaRete View Post
    From the link you posted: The remaining funds came from MLSE, which paid $10 million for the naming rights of the stadium for the duration of the 20-year management agreement, which they later resold to the Bank of Montreal for $27 million over the first 10 years.

P.S.
    Ahhhh, I gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense now, I must have glossed over that part when reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doucet3 View Post
    Yes they are giving up both, if I'm not mistaken the Stadium deal ran till the end of this year... The jersey till the end of last year. So instead of finding a major new sponsor for both they extended the jersey one more year (this year) to have the negotiating ability to sell both separate or together which ever yields the most amount of money.

Then throw in the TFCII, and the academy teams (which all are not wearing any sponsor).

Could be one large massive deal, or multiple big deals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago just announced their new shirt sponsor today. Deal pegged at $2.5-3m per.

If the Fire can pull that type of $$$ in...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So BMO as a company is moving towards basketball as their main sport affiliation. This year BMO was "given" the TFC shirts as part of a bigger deal to get the $$ for the Raptors. Thats why there was such a big delay in announcing the sponsorship as they were dotting the ii's in the bigger deal. Next year the TFC shirts will be a new sponsor. They are actively shopping right now.

BMO basketball news:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23352385/
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-with-bmo.html
    https://newsroom.bmo.com/press-relea...03090995851001
    http://www.adweek.com/agencyspy/fcb-...sketball/95124
    Also sounds like a nice way to manage earnings and not pay into the MLS collective. Why go out and collect a dollar only to pay $0.51 back to Garber?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an inside source at MLSE and I asked if I should get a stadium jacket this year or wait until next year if the sponser is changing.

I work for CIBC and I hate wearing BMO branded stuff when I'm trying to support the TFC.

I have been told that the sponser will change, but he didn't say to who.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Chicago just announced their new shirt sponsor today. Deal pegged at $2.5-3m per.

If the Fire can pull that type of $$$ in...
    Best part of the sponsorship is this:

Included in partnership with @Valspar_Paint is an offer to provide supplies to #cf97 supporter groups for the production of banners (1/2)

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Then throw in the TFCII, and the academy teams (which all are not wearing any sponsor).

Could be one large massive deal, or multiple big deals.
    Yep it's got potential to be a massive deal. Our old one was what? 5M/5 Yrs so a mill a year ? I could see 3.5-5 a year for 5 years... Rogers, CIBC, Scotiabank, Canadian Tire(maybe) would be my favorites to rep on my chest for the next 5 years

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excited for the change. Trully believe that BMO is our curse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Kia would look awesome on our Jersey. We got Kia training ground already anyway... How about Kia Grounds for new stadium name? Any takers? haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    I have an inside source at MLSE and I asked if I should get a stadium jacket this year or wait until next year if the sponser is changing.

I work for CIBC and I hate wearing BMO branded stuff when I'm trying to support the TFC.

I have been told that the sponser will change, but he didn't say to who.
    Same here.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scotiabank steps up, continuing their CFL partnership. If BMO is done, I don't think Scotia would want another bank on their new flagship turf.