Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could not be happier with his press conference. Finally someone who has the same opinion as me. Give a coach 3 years to actually develop something and build something rather than constantly make knee jerk reactions. So happy that they are keeping Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing the Manning interview, I feel... slightly better but not by much. I think Bill Manning was a little too honest and open in some regards. I'd have never said the bit about Kreis, even if he gets hounded by reporters. Putting Vanney on dead man walking watch... well, I wouldn't have gone that way.

He did make it clear that he's the boss at TFC FO and that he expects results. Whether he can pull off the results or not that remains to be seen, but he's not a stupid man, if he's record says anything.

As for Bez and Vanney... well, they are good talkers. Vanney really should be a youth coach because he does knows the tactics and easier to teach the kids the basics of the game. I hope Vanney can regain the locker room because I felt the players didn't back their manager 100%. Should be interesting off season.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you look at vanney face you could the bus tire tracks and the players were driving the bus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Again, he's largely a figure head. They gave him positions that are largely meaningless to keep him out of the way.

Leiweke is about what Bogers wants, end of story. If he only drove Tanenbaum nuts that probably would have been considered a net positive.
    just to be clear, you are completely wrong here. As reported by the Globe, Larry Tanenbaum runs the show. For a while that was good, but he's the one who brought the Argos in, so we ( TFC supporters) should be cautious

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE "who's really in charge" speculation is just that - speculation. I wouldn't count one Globe opinion as any more informed then anything else we've seen. Regardless, all the Presidents sound and act like they are in charge of their divisions, which is the best we can hope for.

We have an experienced soccer guy in charge of the division. That's a good thing. And that soccer guy has told Bez to focus on getting the team right while he deals with the non-player related stuff. That's a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Number one goal is improving the team defensively, so I will keep this manager who has proven that he cannot do it.

Clearly I agree with the premise, I just cannot understand how you keep Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about Manning the less I like his strategy moving forward. The whole idea that it's apparently always good to give managers 2 season starts, or "stability" as he calls it, is only good if you're dealing with a good coach. It's a terrible idea if you're dealing with a bad coach. I'm not saying Vanney is bad, necessarily, but he's most definitely not proven in any of the categories that would make up a "good" coach. So, that's why I've been asking: do you think that giving Winter or Mariner 2 season starts, thereby creating stability, would have been a good idea? If not, then why is it a good idea now? Manning identified the main problem at TFC as lack of stability, so surely he would have also given Winter or Mariner more time, right? Well, we all know that would have been a terrible idea. Neither were right for this club. Nor is Vanney. The correct identification of our problem is that we hire the wrong coaches. We have matured and grown as a club, and we can't just bring in any former player and hope that they can turn into great coaches overnight. They can't. They won't. Sometimes they do, but ALL of our picks have proven to be far too green/inexperienced to run the club correctly.

I'm all for stability, and in my view Kreis should have been given a 2nd year at NYCFC. Their fans sure seem to feel so. But it's easier to create stability around a guy who has proven that he can do the job vs. a guy that's questionable. Instead, Manning talks the big talk about stability while giving Vanney a short leash. That's the opposite of stability. Would you feel secure in your job if your boss gave you a "short leash"? Would the people told to follow you feel that you're really in charge? Imagine if your boss was on a short leash. Would you respect him? I probably would respect him less than if he was given a complete vote of confidence from ownership.

So Manning blew this one in my opinion. But that's so TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    MLSE "who's really in charge" speculation is just that - speculation. I wouldn't count one Globe opinion as any more informed then anything else we've seen. Regardless, all the Presidents sound and act like they are in charge of their divisions, which is the best we can hope for.

We have an experienced soccer guy in charge of the division. That's a good thing. And that soccer guy has told Bez to focus on getting the team right while he deals with the non-player related stuff. That's a good thing.

if we think of Larry Tanenbaum as President of MLSE and the presidents of each team more as GM's that's how it's working: ie if Manning wants to sign a DP he goes to Tanenbaum who decides if it goes to the Board.

A guess, but the fact that Tim L saw himself as reporting to the Board was part of his demise. It's Larry's show.

Now that he owns the Argos it's a cause for concern.

Agreed though, Manning impressed yesterday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Number one goal is improving the team defensively, so I will keep this manager who has proven that he cannot do it.

Clearly I agree with the premise, I just cannot understand how you keep Vanney.
    At least we'll still push the fullbacks up and leave our lead footed CBs to fend for themselves. Makes things exciting. Lots of goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    At least we'll still push the fullbacks up and leave our lead footed CBs to fend for themselves. Makes things exciting. Lots of goals.
    Lead foot... yeah. Josh Williams. Reminds me of Adrian Cann a lot.
    A more mobile CB would be nice.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Lead foot... yeah. Josh Williams. Reminds me of Adrian Cann a lot.
    A more mobile CB would be nice.
    But if Vanney sticks to his word and we keep the status quo I would assume we'll see Perquis & Kantari.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

altidores tweet about formation was interesting.

im not certain who backs vanney in eth lockerroom

but just for playing findley over herc, i have a tough time beileving he knows what hes doing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    altidores tweet about formation was interesting.

im not certain who backs vanney in eth lockerroom

but just for playing findley over herc, i have a tough time beileving he knows what hes doing
    Findley should. Not sure about anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    if you look at vanney face you could the bus tire tracks and the players were driving the bus.
    He seemed pretty relaxed before his turn. Feet on a table.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is great stuff, excellent find!

Here we find out that TFC is worth $195 million and that MLS clubs gross $30-$40 million (I'd assume TFC is on the high end of that scale). It shows why TFC can pay $19 million for 3 DPS. Even when you add the amount that's paid to MLS for the capped players, TFC is almost certainly making money. (As far as the stadium refurbishing costs, that can be covered by some NHL winter games and the Argooos, as well as a portion over 10 years by TFC).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Here we find out that TFC is worth $195 million and that MLS clubs gross $30-$40 million(I'd assume TFC is on the high end of that scale). It shows why TFC can pay $19 million for 3 DPS. Even when you add the amount that's paid to MLS for the capped players, TFC is almost certainly making money. (As far as the stadium refurbishing costs, that can be covered by some NHL winter games and the Argooos, as well as a portion over 10 years by TFC).
    Until the CBA comes up then it magically loses money and is on the verge of bankruptcy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here we find out that TFC is worth $195 million and that MLS clubs gross $30-$40 million (I'd assume TFC is on the high end of that scale). It shows why TFC can pay $19 million for 3 DPS. Even when you add the amount that's paid to MLS for the capped players, TFC is almost certainly making money. (As far as the stadium refurbishing costs, that can be covered by some NHL winter games and the Argooos, as well as a portion over 10 years by TFC).
    This information makes the MLS salary cap even more infuriating. It should be at least double the current amount based on these figures.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    This information makes the MLS salary cap even more infuriating. It should be at least double the current amount based on these figures.
    It easily could be but the Krafts and Hunts of this league want it kept down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If they double the salary cap, I suspect close to half the teams in the league will fold or will be endless bottom feeders until the league moves them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If they double the salary cap, I suspect close to half the teams in the league will fold or will be endless bottom feeders until the league moves them.
    If they are grossing $30 million why would that be the case?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are grossing $30 million why would that be the case?
    That's the high end of the scale... Those teams won't fold.
    Its the DC's and Dallas' of the league that have 10,000 attendance and don't generate much revenue.
    Cant see a team like DC, selling 2 dollar beers, being able to pay 7m for the roster alone (considering other costs of running a team in the MLS are about 6miliion per year - last I heard) and still survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't the league force sales of teams who are keeping the league down? Fuck them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Why can't the league force sales of teams who are keeping the league down? Fuck them.
    Hahaha.
    Thats very un-'Merica.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    ..Cant see a team like DC, selling 2 dollar beers, being able to pay 7m for the roster alone (considering other costs of running a team in the MLS are about 6miliion per year - last I heard) and still survive.
    Clark Hunt is a Billionaire.

He owns the Kansas City Chiefs.

They'd be fine. This parsimoniousness is based on a belief system that sports teams once they get to a certain level do not require investment, not on the reality of how to grow a game.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-11-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The argument that "we can afford the DPs, so no biggie" is upside down.

TFC have the revenues either way, they always have, in fact it was bigger 2007-2011, when they really did mostly sell out.

The question is: which DPs can increase revenues?

In our case, it's only Gio. At NYCFC, it's all three.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once DC gets into a real stadium they should be in a much better spot. The same can be said about NE but less certain that their owner would ever splash cash.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

TFC have the revenues either way, they always have, in fact it was bigger 2007-2011, when they really did mostly sell out.

Lampard is about a 4 game "not in form" run from wearing out his welcome. And Pirlo is only now still liked by Italian New Yorkers. If they don't right that ship by June of next season, those 2 DP's ain't worth the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Explicitly to TFC gate sure, but I believe someone brought up that TFC is now one of the best road draws in the league, largely as a result of our USMNT players.

Anyway, I agree with Og these guys cry poor more than they should be. They basically leach off the rest of the ownership groups which actually invest money to make this league better. They feel entitled because they kept MLS a float back when the choice was ante up or fold the league. Thanks for that and all, but this sort of moral relativism has no place in business strategy.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-11-2015 at 12:41 PM.