Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Larry, until Bell / Rogers start feuding with each other, is largely a figure head. This isn't the OTPP power vacuum he previously operated in, these guys are active.

Minority shareholder with the other two forced by contract to vote in a block ... His bark is bigger than his bite.
    I think you are misjudging this one. Larry T made the announcement, Larry T got the Argos in here (over the opposition of soccer folks, according to some rumours at the time), Larry T has stepped into the Sportsnet / TSN rift very nicely, thank you. He bears watching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't confuse being a public face with decisions of real consequence. They let him go to the NHL BOG meetings too (right from the start), it doesn't mean he's important.

The Argos are here because the increased seating capacity associated with winter classics. I put little stock into anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Don't confuse being a public face with decisions of real consequence. They let him go to the NHL BOG meetings too (right from the start), it doesn't mean he's important.

The Argos are here because the increased seating capacity associated with winter classics. I put little stock into anything else.
    Larry has cleverly stepped in and has regained much of his lost authority since the Bell/Rogers animosity. First consequence: Tim L. Not needed if your chair is really active. Again, it isn't necessarily bad, but the Argos situation should make us all wary of his increasing influence.

i am ok that you don't agree with me, but there is no other way to read recent events.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Christmas tree builder was in charge, MLSE would have bought the Argos.

Nah, he's a figurehead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Manning for bringing playoffs to Toronto! Greatest signing ever.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Only a few days into the job, and he's already paying off!
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The AA story today is making me wonder - will the same drama play out for TFC post season? Or has Bez made his peace with being a second fiddle?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The AA story today is making me wonder - will the same drama play out for TFC post season? Or has Bez made his peace with being a second fiddle?
    Bez was just TL's bag carrier. Don't see him lasting past TL leaving

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Bez was just TL's bag carrier. Don't see him lasting past TL leaving
    That could be, but I have respect for the capologist side of Bez. I just never thought he should be having the ultimate say in evaluating talent.

Bez being the "GM" (title only) with the personnel decisions sitting with Manning, might work for both.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That could be, but I have respect for the capologist side of Bez. I just never thought he should be having the ultimate say in evaluating talent.

Bez being the "GM" (title only) with the personnel decisions sitting with Manning, might work for both.
    Manning's job shouldn't be involved with player decisions, except negotiating the deal for DPs maybe.

Either you trust the guy to job his properly according to his job description or fire him. Nobody will work for a lame duck
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Manning's job shouldn't be involved with player decisions, except negotiating the deal for DPs maybe.

Either you trust the guy to job his properly according to his job description or fire him. Nobody will work for a lame duck
    I get that if you are AA, but I don't see that as so automatic if you are Bez. Bez is 32 years old, with no track record.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that if you are AA, but I don't see that as so automatic if you are Bez. Bez is 32 years old, with no track record.
    It doesn't matter. Bez has the title and expected to do the job when hired. Reducing his responsibility will be seen ad a demotion
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair to Bez, he's had a fuck ton on his plate the last two season's. Building a full-scale scouting network and properly evaluating each individual player himself probably would have been pretty hard to do. Now that he's in full control of roster managment and Manning can take on the exectuive side of running the club we'l most likely get a significantly more clear picture of how capable Bez is at his position. looking in from the outside, I think he has a pretty clear idea of what work's inside the league and what doesn't. This will be a very telling off-season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they really building a scouting network? I don't know, that's been bandied about by a couple of TFC regimes. I'll believe it when I see it, or the effects of it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Are they really building a scouting network? I don't know, that's been bandied about by a couple of TFC regimes. I'll believe it when I see it, or the effects of it.
    I'm sure TFC has a scouting network. it doesn't mean it's any good...

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm curious has this guy accomplished anything in pro-football?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's won the MLS Cup in 2009 and came runner up in 2013. So, yes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me we need to hear from this guy sooner than later.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. preferably deeds, not words but after last night's shocking defeat, the new boss needs to at least explain how he's going to fix it for next season

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. preferably deeds, not words but after last night's shocking defeat, the new boss needs to at least explain how he's going to fix it for next season
    He needs to either back Bez/Vanney, or blow them out, by the end of next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will there be some sort of locker clearing out day/media availability? Presume that's when he'd speak.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure TFC has a scouting network. it doesn't mean it's any good...
    Under Mo the "scouting network" was one player agent.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he has kept his distance as he had nothing to do with this squad, good or bad depending on how the season went.

After the post-mortem and subsequent burials of Vanney and probably Bez then Manning will appear with TL and say all the right things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Globe today has a good piece about Liewike. very very clear that Larry Tanenbaum runs the show at MLSE. And by inference, TL was pushed out to free up control for him.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle27053245/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The Globe today has a good piece about Liewike. very very clear that Larry Tanenbaum runs the show at MLSE. And by inference, TL was pushed out to free up control for him.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle27053245/
    Again, he's largely a figure head. They gave him positions that are largely meaningless to keep him out of the way.

Leiweke is about what Bogers wants, end of story. If he only drove Tanenbaum nuts that probably would have been considered a net positive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning has made his first big call by declining to do the obvious right thing and hire Kreis.

While I might disagree with his call, I am impressed by the clarity of his thinking in the press conference today.

What he implied but couldn't say: this wouldn't have been just about Vanney, it would have required massive roster changes (and really, as I have argued, the departure of Bez too). Manning has decided to give everybody a year, rather than rip it apart right away. Given our history of turmoil here, it is hard to argue.

I am impressed.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-03-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found it odd today when Manning said he told Vanney he wants eight points through the first eight games next season since they'll all be on the road. Is he setting the bar low? Does Vanney get sacked if the team fails to get 8 points?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning has made his first big call by declining to do the obvious right thing and hire Kreis.

While I might disagree with his call, I am impressed by the clarity of his thinking in the press conference today.

We he implied but couldn't say: this wouldn't have been just about Vanney, it would have required massive roster changes (and really, as I have argued, the departure of Bez too). Manning has decided to give everybody a year, rather than rip it apart right away. Given our history of turmoil here, it is hard to argue.

I am impressed.
    Im pleased, did what i expected and hoped him to do.
    Nice to have clarity for goals as well as direction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    I found it odd today when Manning said he told Vanney he wants eight points through the first eight games next season since they'll all be on the road. Is he setting the bar low? Does Vanney get sacked if the team fails to get 8 points?
    It's not actually all that low. 6 out of 20 teams this year posted better than 1.0 points-per-game on the road. Coming out of an 8 game road trip with 8 points would be about average. From an expectations standpoint that could be considered low, but it isn't statistically.