Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Michael Bradley - The Man, The Myth, The Legend

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015...acaf-cup-usmnt

Great interview with our captain, gives a little insight on what he's all about. I especially like the part where he says he could easily just sit deep in the midfield and make 100 easy passes all game but that's not going to help win games for the team.
    Also interesting that he has never been on the field to win a trophy at anytime in his career, thinking he may be a little motivated vs Mexico tonight.
    Hopefully one day we can see him raise a trophy for the Reds.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that if we get to a Voyageur's Final, he'll kill to win that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley has had a tough year, and I'm not talking TFC.

Could Bradley lose his USMNT starting spot to Darlington Nagbe next year?

http://americansoccernow.com/article...hort-this-year
    Last edited by ensco; 11-18-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Bradley has had a tough year, and I'm not talking TFC.

Could Bradley lose his USMNT starting spot to Darlington Nagbe next year?

http://americansoccernow.com/article...hort-this-year
    Not at all, having watched every US game this year Michael is a leader on the pitch, the US in many ways has been faced with some of the same issues TFC has, the backline at times.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 months ago, all the talk in MLS was how inconsistent Nagbe was.

That team is getting to be like England - only the latest are safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone is willing to take Bradley off our hands, I hope Bez would jump at the opportunity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    If someone is willing to take Bradley off our hands, I hope Bez would jump at the opportunity.
    Dont want him going anywhere, TFC needs the leadership he provides. The key will be improving the back 4 and that will take off alot of the pressure that the midfield faced last year.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Dont want him going anywhere, TFC needs the leadership he provides. The key will be improving the back 4 and that will take off alot of the pressure that the midfield faced last year.
    I don't agree. He could be replaced by a non-DP and do you think he is the best we can do for $6.5 million per season? I don't think so.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I don't agree. He could be replaced by a non-DP and do you think he is the best we can do for $6.5 million per season? I don't think so.
    Wait, do you want to save money or spend it elsewhere?

Which non DP do you slide in there? I don't think we need more money to strengthen elsewhere (the back). I think we need to change up who's back there. They don't need to be DP's in the back in this league.

I think there are other positions we're over spending on that need attention before the leadership in the middle gets cut.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's never here, plays like a 300k midfielder most of the time when is here, doesn't sell tickets, spend his salary elsewhere
    ... sell him as soon as we can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The team had a better record without him on the pitch this season. What does that say about his leadership?

I like Bradley, but I think better use can be made of a DP slot. It's a moot point though, because he's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The team had a better record without him on the pitch this season. What does that say about his leadership?

I like Bradley, but I think better use can be made of a DP slot. It's a moot point though, because he's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
    why not, ... is that because he is unsellable at his current weekly wage or because MLSE doesn't want to admit its mistake

... i bet Chicago, NER or DCU would trade for him is a heartbeat and we open up a DP spot
    Last edited by Qman; 11-19-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    why not, ... is that because he is unsellable at his current weekly wage or because MLSE doesn't want to admit its mistake

... i bet Chicago, NER or DCU would trade for him is a heartbeat and we open up a DP spot
    I also think a few MLS clubs would trade for him in a heartbeat, and offer valuable assets as well.

But for better or worse, management has hitched the wagon to him for now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Bradley is a luxury midfielder in MLS. He's good for supporting an already established midfield, but he's not the type of player you can build a team around.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Bradley needs a coach and system that can make use of his talents.
    And by the way he could sit back in front of the back four and make a hundred passes a game, and still come forward at opportune times to help us score. This is his weakness his enthusiasm to come forward and help out even when it hurts our defensive shape. I can tell you I have seen him with Udinese and Roma, and he was not so undisciplined. He was a very efficient tactically solid CM, but on our team he is trying to be an Am/CM/Dm all in one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    And by the way he could sit back in front of the back four and make a hundred passes a game, and still come forward at opportune times to help us score. This is his weakness his enthusiasm to come forward and help out even when it hurts our defensive shape. I can tell you I have seen him with Udinese and Roma, and he was not so undisciplined. He was a very efficient tactically solid CM, but on our team he is trying to be an Am/CM/Dm all in one.
    Agree 100% with all of this. Bradley is an exceptional player, who needs a coach that can actually put him to work efficiently, instead of having him running all over the pitch trying to do everything.

Begging someone to "take him off our hands" is the epitome of fan-think.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Agree 100% with all of this. Bradley is an exceptional player, who needs a coach that can actually put him to work efficiently, instead of having him running all over the pitch trying to do everything.

Begging someone to "take him off our hands" is the epitome of fan-think.
    Yep. He is a midfielder that could play in any top league in the world, he is as good as it gets in this league. The take him of our hands talk is silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. He is a midfielder that could play in any top league in the world, he is as good as it gets in this league. The take him of our hands talk is silly.
    I am beginning them to use him properly.

if we assume Givinco is here, he must play on the left in an advanced role, with a striker who can hold up the ball (of our current players, Altidore, Moore, and Gomez can all perform this role). That means our formations have to have two up front, and therefore be variants of the 4-4-2. To use Bradley properly, he needs to be free to make his great runs, so 4-1-3-2 seems a likely choice. To protect against being dominated in the midfield, the two others will need to play narrow (Oso and Delgado, likely) and the role of the RB and LB become crucial. Recruiting a new RB to complement Morrow should therefore be the first priority, or return to Morrow as RB and Morgan.

i may not have the details all correct but this should be the thinking. It also says to me that Jozy is expendable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent analysis. We need a coach respected widely in soccer for that to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im sorry but Hagglund and Zavaleta are never going to be "good" defenders in this league, or likely any other. They have no idea what to do with the ball when they have it, no vision, or passing ability, and generally are caught a step behind opposing players with any skill whatsoever. They are a big reason why Bradley is running all over the field, and not sticking within any type of formation/system. He has no confidence in them, and feels that he needs to cover for their mistakes. 5 Years ago, maybe they would have survived in this league, but that ship has sailed. Bring in a proper DM, CB's that are competent, and Bradley will dominate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    Im sorry but Hagglund and Zavaleta are never going to be "good" defenders in this league, or likely any other. They have no idea what to do with the ball when they have it, no vision, or passing ability, and generally are caught a step behind opposing players with any skill whatsoever. They are a big reason why Bradley is ...

After game 11. Hagglund was no longer a starter and after game 18 he was rarely on the bench. His last game played was the 3-0 loss in Jersey.

Zaveletta had 300 more minutes but he too didn't play much past that loss to SKC at home.

They are no big reason behind anything Bradley did last season, baring being part of a lacklustre defence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    Im sorry but Hagglund and Zavaleta are never going to be "good" defenders in this league, or likely any other. They have no idea what to do with the ball when they have it, no vision, or passing ability, and generally are caught a step behind opposing players with any skill whatsoever. They are a big reason why Bradley is running all over the field, and not sticking within any type of formation/system. He has no confidence in them, and feels that he needs to cover for their mistakes. 5 Years ago, maybe they would have survived in this league, but that ship has sailed. Bring in a proper DM, CB's that are competent, and Bradley will dominate.
    Well this pairing never did happen (baring mop up in SKC) so I think that's a better reason why they didn't make Bradley worse. Yeah, Bradley overdid and will overdo it but that's him.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 11-20-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so then to be more relevant for this past season, Kantari and Williams are both in the same class as Hagglund/Zavaleta. Both are terrible positionally, make poor decisions, and are generally caught a step behind any sort of decent player on the opposing team. My argument is that with any of these four(they are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned in terms of skill/talent), Bradley is forced to work too hard in too much of the pitch. His quality suffers. I feel with the upgrade on our defensive line, Bradley will not feel like he has to do everything. He will have confidence in his defenders, and a new DM, and actually receive passes out of the back, rather than having to track back, and make those passes himself.

We really need to stop looking at the options on defence that we currently have, and have used for the last couple years and consider them first team starters on a contending team(except Morrow, and perhaps Perquis), the key word being CONTENDING. On the bottom teams, sure, play any of those four, and that is why they will be at the bottom. Even with the best offence, look where we ended up. It is clearly not working. The results speak for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THIS! This, this, this. Bradley is a potentially MLS-leading player. But he needs a SINGULAR role to keep him disciplined, or he tries to do too much and the midfield breaks down. We generally looked better in the games when he wasn't with us for this reason.

He can be great in the hole; as long as we keep him as an effectively one-way offensive player. He can be great as a central or anchor midfielder, as long as he doesn't really come forward, except to pick up loose stuff from set pieces. If we had a defensive midfielder who was a dedicated anchor, Bradley could be a good two-way mid, but would make the def midfielder's life difficult, because he doesn't cover back with the same enthusiasm and speed with which he bursts forward.

He's best in a singular role per game. But that's also part of his appeal: as long as we keep him in that singular role, the reponsibilities and position can change from formation to formation. I suspect the best way to get chemistry with players who are of, undoubtedly, lower pedigree, is to limit him to perhaps two positions, as long as they're one-dimensional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    THIS! This, this, this. Bradley is a potentially MLS-leading player. But he needs a SINGULAR role to keep him disciplined, or he tries to do too much and the midfield breaks down. We generally looked better in the games when he wasn't with us for this reason.

He can be great in the hole; as long as we keep him as an effectively one-way offensive player. He can be great as a central or anchor midfielder, as long as he doesn't really come forward, except to pick up loose stuff from set pieces. If we had a defensive midfielder who was a dedicated anchor, Bradley could be a good two-way mid, but would make the def midfielder's life difficult, because he doesn't cover back with the same enthusiasm and speed with which he bursts forward.

He's best in a singular role per game. But that's also part of his appeal: as long as we keep him in that singular role, the reponsibilities and position can change from formation to formation. I suspect the best way to get chemistry with players who are of, undoubtedly, lower pedigree, is to limit him to perhaps two positions, as long as they're one-dimensional.
    Totally agreed. Speaks to coaching, and the need for a Laba type player. Both would be transformative. I love Bradley's work rate, his eye for a pass, his competitive streak, but we are easy to exploit when he is over aggressive. The big challenge I see is, are we setting up the team around him, or Giovinco?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015...acaf-cup-usmnt

Great interview with our captain, gives a little insight on what he's all about. I especially like the part where he says he could easily just sit deep in the midfield and make 100 easy passes all game but that's not going to help win games for the team.
    Also interesting that he has never been on the field to win a trophy at anytime in his career, thinking he may be a little motivated vs Mexico tonight.
    Hopefully one day we can see him raise a trophy for the Reds.
    that's exactly what he needs to do. Keep possession, the amount of times he tries to play 40-50 yard passes and gives the ball away. Keep it simple, knock the ball around a bit, wait for the time to play that killer pass or get on the end of a passage of play in the other teams box. He always seems too keen to play that pass or make that run, and although his passion is admirable it needs to be tamed for the good of the team. He needs better midfielders to play with, and at this stage that's his only defence. Give him a good quality dm and see what he can do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley can be a top player in this league consistiantly. I think it is clear tho he needs a 3 person midfield to operate in. He is box-to-box CM, needs a legit stay at home DM beside him and a younger version of Cheyrou as another CM.

Hard to evaluate this team properly when we have no DM and no true wide talent. The double pivot will not work with Bradley because he loves to roam ahead. We know his abilities as a great passer and he is a workhorse but without the right personel around him all this is moot.

I remember Vanney tried the 4-2-3-1 a couple of times and when it didn't work many said "see, you wanted it and it failed". However something like a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 is not necessarily about the formation itself, it is more about the personnel out on the field... Without a proper DM or wide players it cannot work. Putting a striker out wide and out of position is not the answer.

Hope Bradley stays for years honestly, we just need to get our setup correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley needs a hard ass coach to rip into him and I don't think Vanney is that guy, next year is going to be the same thing with him if he doesn't get disciplined about his nonsensical play.

Next year is the last straw for me, he makes to much money to not be impacting the game more, if he isn't performing we should ship him out and get another Giovinco type game changer for that price tag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Bradley needs a hard ass coach to rip into him and I don't think Vanney is that guy, next year is going to be the same thing with him if he doesn't get disciplined about his nonsensical play.

Next year is the last straw for me, he makes to much money to not be impacting the game more, if he isn't performing we should ship him out and get another Giovinco type game changer for that price tag.
    I def agree he needs to be way more disciplined next season, I love the effort but sometimes its a bit too much

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mook-life View Post
    I def agree he needs to be way more disciplined next season, I love the effort but sometimes its a bit too much
    How about the coach letting him run around game after game, playing that way?

System discipline is something enforced by the coach, leading me to believe Vanney WANTED to use him as some sort of roaming jack-of-all-trades.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens