Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    i sincerely thought Larry's first Grey Cup would be at the SkyDome.
    he can pack almost 60K in there.
    it's ready to go.
    the Jays grass is many years away.

oh well.
    By putting the temporary stands up for the Grey Cup they then can keep those temp seats up for a few weeks for the NHL outdoor game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that MLSE is reported to have said that November 27th will be after the date of MLS Cup next season, is the Grey Cup scheduled for that date really a big issue?

There seems to be a change in the 2016 MLS schedule, based on MLSE's comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Given that MLSE is reported to have said that November 27th will be after the date of MLS Cup next season, is the Grey Cup scheduled for that date really a big issue?

Is there a link to this? I have not seen or heard of anything related to the 2016 season yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I allowed to say that this is a good use of the new stadium that makes total sense to me?

This primary tenant stuff is overwrought with respect to this. It's easy to see that any TFC home game that weekend can be played a day or two before the Grey Cup.

Frankly, the Grey Cup hoopla and travelling support could help make a TFC p***** game like that a bigger party than it might otherwise be. It would take the Saskatchewan Roughrider faithful about 30 seconds to see the TFC supporters as fellow travellers!

Only real issue is if we host the MLS Cup and the CFL have torn the field up during the Grey Cup. But seriously, the Grey Cup is a big deal, it's probably a risk worth taking.

This is a waste of energy. The things worth fighting about are lines on the turf, and making sure there is decent separation between regular season scheduled games, especially if we get into Concacaf, which I expect them to have considered in making both teams schedules.

I reserve the right to change my mind based on future facts, such as the possible revelation that the Leafs are playing at BMO that week as part of Grey Cup week (and if you don't think that's possible, you aren't thinking like someone who just spent $100M on something and needs to start getting something off that, like right now)
    Last edited by ensco; 10-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like a dead issue now.

If they are sure about MLS Cup dates than they stood by their primary tenant statement for now.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Is there a link to this? I have not seen or heard of anything related to the 2016 season yet.
    I remember the MLS insiders (Grant Wahl, Alexi Lalas and who ever ESPN is using) playing around with the idea that more mid-week games may be occurring earlier in the season in order to better fit around FIFA dates (whenever possible), to try to shorten the season so that MLS Cup won't happen in mid-November to early-December (remember 2010 here?), as well as fit in the extra total games with 2-3 more expansion teams coming in.

One idea i heard about during on of the FOX broadcasts was the thought of Making 'Monday Night Football' for MLS during the summer and having teams do doubles on Monday/Friday or Monday/Saturday within a week.

I couldn't find a link but its something that has apparently been talked about in the league all year, and seems to have traction as a viable idea next year.

Whether it happens or not is something completely different.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    i sincerely thought Larry's first Grey Cup would be at the SkyDome.
    he can pack almost 60K in there.
    it's ready to go.
    the Jays grass is many years away.

oh well.
    Naw, they were always going to go all-in with BMO Field as soon as they could.

Write it down now; we're not just going to see the Grey Cup played at BMO Field in 2016, but they're going to keep the temporary stands up and host an NHL outdoor game a few weeks later. In a very short window of time, they are going to generate a hefty chuck of revenue from that stadium.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    In the article in yesterday's Star - http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...-calendar.html

See the last 2 paragraphs, the comments from Dave Hopkinson at MLSE:

But MLSE exec Dave Hopkinson says TFC fans needn’t worry. Although Major League Soccer hasn’t yet scheduled its 2016 p******s Hopkinson says a hypothetical title game in Toronto would take place well before the Grey Cup.

“TFC is the primary tenant,” said Hopkinson, MLSE’s chief commercial officer. “You don’t get this far into the process without having done all your homework, and we’ve done all our homework.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the article in yesterday's Star - http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...-calendar.html

See the last 2 paragraphs, the comments from Dave Hopkinson at MLSE:

But MLSE exec Dave Hopkinson says TFC fans needn’t worry. Although Major League Soccer hasn’t yet scheduled its 2016 p******s Hopkinson says a hypothetical title game in Toronto would take place well before the Grey Cup.

“TFC is the primary tenant,” said Hopkinson, MLSE’s chief commercial officer. “You don’t get this far into the process without having done all your homework, and we’ve done all our homework.”
    Over/under bet - when will we see a quote from this Hopkinson guy that doesn't have some element of self-congratulation?

one year? five years? never?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If they were doing this any other year then the year they put the roof on, I could see an enterprising company setting up those temp stands in March and just selling those seats as cheap overflow.

MLSE though tends to want to protect its price point in the rest of the stadium (thus the ridiculous SSH prices for the Upper East).
    Yeh, the Upper East price structure is beyond me, when compared to west side and even the lower east. I wonder if they will learn the lesson that they did with the north stand when they slashed the price for those after one season, where it was often empty.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, because anybody from within ML$E has always been truthful to its fanbase.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yeh, the Upper East price structure is beyond me, when compared to west side and even the lower east. I wonder if they will learn the lesson that they did with the north stand when they slashed the price for those after one season, where it was often empty.
    I just don't get the pricing for up there. Although for tomorrows game against Philly, there are plenty of cheap tickets up there for one of the first times all year but who would know after the way they have been gouging