Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New York and Portland would be hipster heaven.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...BlazerCon.html

Everyone should read this article. Interview with the Don
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this question from a journo and the Garber answer particularly relevant

.../
    In a theoretical world, for example, if there's no salary cap, and NYCFC can spend as much money as they want, maybe they could attract players away from Europe in their prime.

To what end? That's the ultimate question. That's probably more of a debate than an interview question. To what end? So that they win the championship? Is that going to make the league better? So then everybody would want to do that, because they're going to want to win, and now all of a sudden you've taken a model that has driven an almost unprecedented success for soccer in America and destroyed it for what end game. So that people will think L.A.'s as good as Chelsea?

I don't see what the value of that is [relative] to what we're trying to do, which is to build a league that ultimately, in its entirety, can be competitive with the rest of the world. One team is not going to drive that. You watch the Premier League because on any given day, Aston Villa can tie Man City, right? Not because you're just a fan of Man. U. There's a feeling that the competition is good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Thanks for the link!
    It was a great read during brunch.
    I liked the part how Dallas's spending is as much as other teams(Toronto, L.A.) but in developing local talent as opposed to spending money on DPs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason no Canadian tv stations are picking up the New York Columbus game.

It would be nice if MLS Live would offer a single game rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know many on here don't think to highly of Garber but I think he has done a great job since he took over keeping in mind where this league was when he took over and where the league is now. I think knowing the history of pro soccer in North America with it's many failures the very cautionary approach was needed and is still needed. I lived through the demise of the old NASL and being a big soccer fan it was kind of devastating for me and many others at the time, having an entire league fold was not pretty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NY Crew game is online I think on TSNGO maybe someone can expand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article, Garber says that we would need to triple the investment to match the Mexican league which is the next goal for MLS.
    You say you know how much money it's going to take to close the gap with the Mexican league. How much money is that?
    It takes us from where we are today to spending about three times more money than we're spending now. That's just to be able to beat the Mexicans on a regular basis.
    Our numbers are somewhat public. Club América [Mexico's wealthiest team] spends over $25 million a year. Club América is going to be playing one of our clubs [the Seattle Sounders, to be precise] in the [CONCACAF] Champions League in February. By the way, we're out of our season at that point, so we're going to be playing before our full teams come together.
    And we're not spending $25 million. Now, Toronto does - they spend a little more than that. New York City does. So if you look at where we are, it's not getting our top teams to spend more, it's actually getting our middle teams to spend more so that we're more competitive against these clubs on a day-to-day basis. And once we get Mexico, then we'll go to the next level, and the next level.
    Garber fails to mention that the Mexican league spreads their wages over their entire roster.

The next CBA negotiation is what 4-5 years from now? So 2019-2020? Do we seriously think that the cap will triple when in the past negotiation the cap went up like 10%.

This is just to get to the Mexican level, he wants to go further, kind of mind boggling considering there is no indication that revenues are going to match whatever growth they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also interesting to note that he wasn't asked about another big elephant that is the terrible refereeing in MLS.

I don't necessarily need this league to be a top one, but I would have like to see him address this issue, talking about player development is good, but also supporting the development of referees is another step that will help MLS elevate to the next level.

Hey Yohan, maybe start a new thread about this article?
    Last edited by Richard; 11-22-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Also interesting to note that he wasn't asked about another big elephant that is the terrible refereeing in MLS.

I don't necessarily need this league to be a top one, but I would have like to see him address this issue, talking about player development is good, but also supporting the development of referees is another step that will help MLS elevate to the next level.

This is not a joke ... they need a few "DP" refs from england or germany. Its only going to cost $150k per guy ... MLS spend some fucking money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    This is not a joke ... they need a few "DP" refs from england or germany. Its only going to cost $150k per guy ... MLS spend some fucking money.
    The level of refereeing in England is shocking too tbf.

The best ref in MLS came from the League of Ireland, so you dont need to go to the big leagues to find decent refs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Garber made a specific comment about refs. It's an USSF and CSA and PRO problem as far as he's concerned. And it's somewhat true. MLS doesn't hire refs.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not on any channels, fuck wit Rogers

Anyone got links to both of either games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap, Meram scores 11 seconds in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber made a specific comment about refs. It's an USSF and CSA and PRO problem as far as he's concerned. And it's somewhat true. MLS doesn't hire refs.
    That's just obfuscating bullshit from Garber. It's ultimately MLS that benefits the most from any increase in officiating quality and they need to pay into the process to get what they want.

It's also not just about whatever Pro-USSF does before these guys walk in the door. Good officiating isn't just a bunch of guys who innately have a sense of the game. The top leagues give the refs resources to have conferences, set standards, and create that standardized product that naturally looks so consistent when you watch it each weekend. They also pay guys enough to dedicate a substantial amount of their time to bring pro officials. The linesman earn more than minimum wage, etc...

The (crap) officiating we see on the field weekly is a result of the league being too cheap to invest in the process. To try and pass the buck to Pro-USSF is just silly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Holy crap, Meram scores 11 seconds in
    He had some pent up anger

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/sp...atch.html?_r=0
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not gonna lie...the passing scattered flurries would've made for a crazy atmosphere down at BMO Field today.

sigh, a fella can dream...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you just love Twellman. CBus through Finlay ripping Lawrence apart and Twellman says he's good at defending Finlay. Gotta keep to the narrative.

Gonna try to find a European feed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kamara is the best striker in the league. He's strong and jumps so god damn high, every single panic clearance or long ball towards him becomes a legit chance to come away with possession. Every hopeful, throw-it-in-the-mixer cross is a chance. No way that goal happens with any other striker on the end of that long ball. Complete game changer for Columbus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta feel that 1 goal by Columbus in New Jersey and its all over for the Energy Drinks. Red Bulls DM's did not do the job. And, like we did in our win against them, if you can get the ball past that press, you are going to be running at defenders who can not take pace.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fun game though. 2nd leg is going to be a cracker

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call me crazy but I still like the Red Bulls' chances of advancing. We'll see though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a display by the Timbers army, they have a rockin' atmosphere.

Who knew a converted baseball stadium would make for that environment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess no TV coverage next week of MLS playoffs with the Grey Cup most likely on all the TSN channels I would assume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a cracking shot, Portland in the drivers seat

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One away goal and it's a tie in all but name.

That tifo was magic. Timbers Army bringing it because they know it's their last home game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remind me what advantage the Red Bulls and Dallas are enjoying due to their higher seed right now?

Home advantage is everything in MLS. Setting up higher seeds to play the 2nd leg at home against teams that won their home game and thus play defensive and bunker to protect their advantage is not enough of a reward for finishing high in the standings during the season.

I think MLS should go to single-match elimination for the entirety of the playoffs. The playoffs wouldn't drag on for so long, we wouldn't be playing the final in freaking December, and it would actually be a real advantage for teams to chase during the season. Win the Supporters Shield? You're staying at home for your entire playoff run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good finish for the Timbers, they needed that 3rd goal because heading into Dallas up 2-1 is a bit flimsy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think MLS should go to single-match elimination for the entirety of the playoffs. The playoffs wouldn't drag on for so long, we wouldn't be playing the final in freaking December, and it would actually be a real advantage for teams to chase during the season. Win the Supporters Shield? You're staying at home for your entire playoff run.
    oooo.........penny drops.

Take that second leg of the semi's and conference finals away, and the league finishes two weeks early (in theory this weekend).

And lo and behold we heard that the MLS cup will be done next season BEFORE the Grey Cup (which is on the last Sunday in November).