Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson is really only Canadian by virtue of his parents. Doubt he considers it home.

I'll say the same thing I did last year: having the season drag on so long is an invitation for people to lose interest. This shit should have wrapped up a month ago or earlier.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The playoffs were way more compelling then the league this season. I agree it can be cut down in length but it was fun to watch (apart from one game in Montreal).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I'm sure there are bad calls that have happened in other leagues and other cup finals around the world , and I'm sure there are some bad calls that have happened even in World Cup finals throughout the years, but because this is the MLS we have all these doomsayers commenting how it's bad for the league please give me a break. I sat and watched as a neautral and I was entertained , it was not a boring final and in the end that's a good look for the league !
    Right, I'm sure many people tuning into an MLS game or the first time were sitting there thinking "Gosh, all these awful mistakes is making for some good entertainment value." And houseleagues are the best tickets in town. Give ME a break. I enjoy MLS because I set the bar low (you have to, watching TFC for nine years), and I was still left bitterly disappointed by "the best MLS has to offer."

Even the commentators were exceptionally bad. Twellman: "Columbus down 2-0 is playing right into their hands, because they're at their best when they attack." LOL!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twellman is good in spurts and I admire his courage about concussions.

But he sold his soul to Draft Kings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took the commentator 5 mins to work out, or be told that the ball was feet over the line, I had stopped the game and slow played it back seconds after the Goal. I was like, what the !! That's a goal? Lol

Yes it was entertaining but FFS what a shit show officials look to be in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the thing with people and MLS, the bias is already there or was already there with number 1, fans who are casual watchers of the league and number 2, the people who started watching the league once TFC came into the league. Therefore, with this bias people go into every game looking for negatives because " it's a North American league" and it's soccer so it can't be any good. With this bias or thinking in hand people will look for every negative and then say " see I told you look at that how bad is that" , people will look at everything so that they can justify their biases, the level of play, the officiating, the commentators and on and on and on. Ya only in the MLS you will find bad officiating, crappy players and of course bad tv commentating. Look the MLS has many warts and has a lot of improving to do but it seems like everything about this league is shit the lowest of the low with people. Furthermore, in terms of commentating which is the one thing all these experts seem to know so much about has there ever been an MLS broadcast that anyone has watched and actually thought the commentators or the telecast was any good? Judging from what I read on here it does not seem there has ever been one, wow! Furthermore, for those saying the league runs too long, well it runs no longer than most soccer leagues around the world.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 12-07-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's fair to say as an apples-to-apples comparison the officiating is below par. Not as a "euro snob" or someone who is looking for negatives straight away, objectively they've under invested in the area and are reaping the results of that.

Would we see the same horrendous errors and terrible inconsistencies in comparable second tier leagues? Not in my opinion, you wouldn't.

I don't think it ruined the finals but it wasn't a great look for the league by any means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game was shown live on Sky in the UK. The banter on Twitter from the few that watched was not flattering. There have been plenty of goalkeeper howlers in big games in the UK..no big issue. The problem is amateur refs that the league doesn't take responsibility for and the DP system. No really good keeper will play in MLS on these salaries and we will wait a long time for a DP keeper. It's distorting the game to have such un-balanced quality in a team. The idea of a single play-off biased at one teams home field is another bizarre MLSism - I don't think any other league in the world would do that. I could buy it if winning the league was the pinnacle and the cup secondary I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not good numbers for TV ratings for the Cup final, although considering there were two small market teams in the final I guess it could have been worse.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/12/...ewing-numbers/

Canadian numbers were higher than I thought it would be:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...205408027.html

25. Soccer, MLS Cup, Columbus vs. Portland, Sunday, TSN: 87,000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Not good numbers for TV ratings for the Cup final, although considering there were two small market teams in the final I guess it could have been worse.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/12/...ewing-numbers/

Canadian numbers were higher than I thought it would be:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...205408027.html

25. Soccer, MLS Cup, Columbus vs. Portland, Sunday, TSN: 87,000
    1.8 million combined viewers, horrible number. Just proves soccer in the US is a niche sport and the general public doesn't care, numbers prove that. If you're a real fan your watching the MLS final no matter who's involved, big market, small market shouldn't matter.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    1.8 million combined viewers, horrible number. Just proves soccer in the US is a niche sport and the general public doesn't care, numbers prove that. If you're a real fan your watching the MLS final no matter who's involved, big market, small market shouldn't matter.
    Yes but compare that to league finals of that niche sport world wide. There aren't many. It contributes some to the numbers.

I think fans of the game worldwide would scoff at the opinion of their loyalty and love for the game being determined by watching 2 teams that aren't theirs.

That's NA for you...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER