Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Richard Peddie's "success" and Leiweke's "failure"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle27743856/

If you or I wrote this drivel, we'd be rightly ignored. But the game is different up top - time to call in the last few chips from writers and editors whose care and feeding were a Peddie priority for years. Need to sell some schlocky book, and take a few kicks at Leiweke, too, now that he's gone.

The Peddie "Lesson": Too bad the sports teams were all abysmal failures on my watch, but that didn't matter because my actual team (the loyal serfs who could recite my slogans) won.

I suspect this will draw fire from Leiweke. Could be amusing.

I kind of miss Peddie, and his idiocy.

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the rich old boys, they always have the ability to see their work in the best light

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"When Tim Leiweke took over as MLSE’s chief executive officer he claimed the company did not have a vision to win. But he was very mistaken! Yes, we were not winning on the playing field, but I knew that we had a clear winning vision off the playing field."

Oh well, there you go, a clear winning vision off the playing field. I feel pretty silly now, looking for winning on the playing field. Why didn't he have a parade every year for all that winning?

There's a good book in MLSE if someone not connected to the company wants to write it. Or a documentary, it would be the sports version of "Spinal Tap."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    "When Tim Leiweke took over as MLSE’s chief executive officer he claimed the company did not have a vision to win. But he was very mistaken! Yes, we were not winning on the playing field, but I knew that we had a clear winning vision off the playing field."

Oh well, there you go, a clear winning vision off the playing field. I feel pretty silly now, looking for winning on the playing field. Why didn't he have a parade every year for all that winning?

There's a good book in MLSE if someone not connected to the company wants to write it. Or a documentary, it would be the sports version of "Spinal Tap."

Faaaaak! Ten years of parking and beer money spent, and all this time we were supposed to look for the off-field winning. I also feel silly, showing up each week hoping to see actual on-field winning. Can we put four or five starts on top of the crest now?

Hey, I have a winning vision on dating a Victoria Secret model, however the very real fact that i'm not is completely irrelevant. Please hero worship accordingly.
    Last edited by Chevy; 12-14-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My god this man has no shame.

He's probably the worst thing to ever happen to Toronto sports, yet he struts around like some sort of success.

If our media didn't consist of a group of obedient plebs he'd be run out of town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite the failed experiment and the broken promises, I'll always have respect for Leiweke for actually caring. Peddie just makes me sick, I couldn't even get through the piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That piece is a masterclass in demonstrating how one man could be so mind numbingly fucking stupid and have absolutely no clue about it.

I think he think's he's actually well regarded by the common sports fan in this city. How sad.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 12-14-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a load of tripe, thank fuck he is gone but I don't have much hope for the new president.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you choose your own goals to be rewarded with other people's money, of course you succeed.

Heard this drivel from him on CBC morning radio a few weeks ago - almost threw my cereal at it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Leiweke, he was flapping his gums today. I wonder if this outburst was agreed upon with the Miami MLS owners' group...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/beckham...210300772.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Speaking of Leiweke, he was flapping his gums today. I wonder if this outburst was agreed upon with the Miami MLS owners' group...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/beckham...210300772.html
    That article is from Nov 5th. They have already moved on from that site and are now operating next to a sewage treatment plant in an unsavory part of town

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Clueless.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't even make myself read all that he said.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need a Butch Carter appreciation thread. Only he has ever publicly taken on the ridiculous crap that Peddie has been publishing in these books (even if Butch was probably naive in his dealings)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...e_feschuk.html
    Last edited by ensco; 12-15-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    That article is from Nov 5th. They have already moved on from that site and are now operating next to a sewage treatment plant in an unsavory part of town
    Oops, thanks for the clarification. That article just showed up on Twitter, so I thought it referred to the very latest Miami proposal (the only one I'm somewhat familiar with). I didn't check the date on the article!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think we need a Butch Carter appreciation thread. Only he has ever publicly taken on the ridiculous crap that Peddie has been publishing in these books (even if Butch was probably naive in his dealings)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...e_feschuk.html
    Peddie trying to act naive: “I don’t know I’ve ever heard someone say that before. I could see it,” Peddie said. “They say (former Buffalo Sabres coach Ted) Nolan was a GM killer, and I guess that’s true, because, boy, he’s been all over and never got a job. I didn’t think of Butch being blackballed. But I guess. I don’t know. I’m not in that fraternity.”

He's never heard anyone say that? And that's an interesting spin on Ted Nolan's career, another guy who tried to take on an old-boy network (whatever happened to John Muckler?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Peddie trying to act naive: “I don’t know I’ve ever heard someone say that before. I could see it,” Peddie said. “They say (former Buffalo Sabres coach Ted) Nolan was a GM killer, and I guess that’s true, because, boy, he’s been all over and never got a job. I didn’t think of Butch being blackballed. But I guess. I don’t know. I’m not in that fraternity.”

He's never heard anyone say that? And that's an interesting spin on Ted Nolan's career, another guy who tried to take on an old-boy network (whatever happened to John Muckler?).
    Nolan was blackballed pretty hard from the NHL.

He went from Jack Adams winner (coach of the year) to out of professional hockey within 2 years, and it took a decade before he was given another crack in the NHL.

All sorts of rumours have floated around, from disrespect for authority (GM's), to booze and/or addiction, to affairs with players wives, to allegations of racism (he's aboriginal).

Who knows how many, if any, were actually true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Nolan was blackballed pretty hard from the NHL.

He went from Jack Adams winner (coach of the year) to out of professional hockey within 2 years, and it took a decade before he was given another crack in the NHL.

All sorts of rumours have floated around, from disrespect for authority (GM's), to booze and/or addiction, to affairs with players wives, to allegations of racism (he's aboriginal).

Who knows how many, if any, were actually true.
    Yes, I know, that's what I was saying. The GM was Muckler, a guy solidly in the old-boys network. Check out the rumours about him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's kicking some sand over the fact that Leiweke came in full of bluster about how he was going to turn everything around, slagging the vision of previous administrations, and then found out things weren't so easy - or something like that, anyway. It sounds like this rankled him.

It also seems like this is a 'business" book, which probably means it's targeted at audiences who are more interested in how he handled the "success" of MLSE as a business, and not the on-field/ice products. And yes, these quotes are going to infuriate people like us. But Peddie is also in a place where he doesn't need to concern himself with what people like us think any more. He doesn't need to carefully parse his language so that he doesn't offend the priorities of a fanbase any more.

I couldn't stand Peddie, and his professional sensibilities on display here are precisely why I think he was terrible at overseeing winning franchises. At the same time, it's not like his views here are a shocker. He just doesn't need to bury them under any empty assurances to fans that "they know <insert team here>'s performance is unacceptable", while high five-ing behind closed doors, any more.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^What bugs me is that his supposed business acumen is a fabrication.

The teams lost hundreds of millions in foregone playoff revenues that an average team would have had on his watch. The appreciation of MLSE on his watch (3.5x in 15-16 years) was very mediocre compared to better sports franchises and/or a basket of media/telco stocks. Anybody who owned Bell, Rogers, Telus and Shaw in an RRSP made around 5x in the same period.

All this talk of "building" enterprise value - he is making it up. He built nothing. Prices and values went up in this industry, everywhere, that's all.

He didn't "win" in any arena, except personal compensation, and longevity of employment.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-17-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^What bugs me is that his supposed business acumen is a fabrication.

The teams lost hundreds of millions in foregone playoff revenues that an average team would have had on his watch. The appreciation of MLSE on his watch (3.5x in 15-16 years) was very mediocre compared to better sports franchises and/or a basket of media/telco stocks. Anybody who owned Bell, Rogers, Telus and Shaw in an RRSP made around 5x in the same period.

All this talk of "building" enterprise value - he is making it up. He built nothing. Prices and values went up in this industry, everywhere, that's all.

He didn't "win" in any arena, except personal compensation, and longevity of employment.
    Don't disagree at all. Peddie was awful, and writing a book about his supposed business genius is hilarious. I was more responding to the people fuming over the passages about how successful the product was "off-field".
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens