RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Game 31 - Nuit Rouge - TFC vs Philly Oct 3 5 pm Sportsnet

This should be fun.

Sunset game. A chance to all but cement our playoffs

Easy? Of course not. Union has Conor Casey - so that's a goal probably right there.

And Philly just went to NER and tied them on that pitch, playing a bunch of subs in preparation for their USOC match this week.

But, we are the superior team and should win at our house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They win the Cup during the week and their hangover continues into Saturday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were supposed to be the superior team this past Saturday against Chicago and it was not convincing at all in my opinion and we were fortunate to win thegame. We can't take any team lightly. Hopefully we can beat Philly though for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Reds could get decent results from the remaining games, they should be able to finish 2nd or 3rd respectively, needless to say, that it also depends on the outcomes of other teams. Red Bulls more than likely will have 1st place locked.

The CB's need to stay in their position at all costs. Too much floating out wide (Perquis) that is leaking goals at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    We were supposed to be the superior team this past Saturday against Chicago and it was not convincing at all in my opinion and we were fortunate to win thegame. We can't take any team lightly. Hopefully we can beat Philly though for sure.
    I think we beat Philly 1-0 last time and we didn't create enough chances and struggled to get into the box. Seba's rocket launch goal was the only difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we not just play Prekiball from here on out. Just long ball up to Giovinco and Altidore and get a few more results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    I think we beat Philly 1-0 last time and we didn't create enough chances and struggled to get into the box. Seba's rocket launch goal was the only difference.
    The last game was the 2-1 game in July with Giovinco's golf celebration and Connor Casey scoring in the 91st. Still, not a dominating performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see Jackson at RB for this. Besides that I'm ok with no other changes. It's a bit of a toss up at RM between Findley, Warner and Delgado, but I'd actually be fine with Findley starting. He's slightly turned it around lately... not enough to justify bringing him back mind you, but enough for me to be ok with him starting while he's in acceptable form. It's nice to have a little speed on the wing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now, I don't care about dominating. Superior teams should win.

Want 3 points - pretty ball can wait. Get that win and then the boys can either take the time off or go away for INT duty until we play 2 in 4 days against NER and C-Bus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we want to go anywhere in the playoffs we shouldn't be barely getting by the worst teams in the league. Superior teams win those games easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post
    If we want to go anywhere in the playoffs we shouldn't be barely getting by the worst teams in the league. Superior teams win those games easily.
    So how about the red bulls losing 5-2 at home to Orlando? or Vancouver losing at home to NYCFC?

A win is a win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why you singled out my post when OgtheDim's point that superior teams get the win and mine that those teams don't just squeeze by aren't any less relevant because of those two results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post
    Not sure why you singled out my post when OgtheDim's point that superior teams get the win and mine that those teams don't just squeeze by aren't any less relevant because of those two results.
    because you used the word 'easily'. By law of averages, the team higher up in the standings at this point in the season usually wins. But there are very few easy wins in this league, and starting the narrative that the next game is a failure unless we win 'easily' is pointless. better teams than us will lose to worse teams than philly and it won't be the end of the world. No point in holding us to such a high standard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get what you are saying akoto. My point is that as the superior team, we should be getting the win here. How we do that though means little.

The only narrative that should matter is about getting into the playoffs. Once that's done, its about where we finish. How we get there means nothing right now. (unless you are a team like DCU who are sliding)

The playoff games themselves are part of tournament football and are a very different kettle of fish compared to the season (insert pookie comment here )

Where we will go on a game by game basis will depend upon those things we all analyse - defence, tactics, who plays what, who plays how. But, ultimately, its about the result.

This is the part of the learning curve for us supporters as we move from an also ran who usually is flaming out right now and a team in the playoffs. To be expected - we are not used to this.

This is what we wanted. To have meaningful games in October. And that means the emphasis we all place on analysing aspects of TFC's game is going to be reduced.

When you think about it, that's what game threads are - an analysis of why a result did or did not happen. Its just because the season is so long, we tend to look at results as a progression of those things we analyse.

When it comes to results from here on in though, there is only one thing that matters - get the results necessary. And if that means winning ugly against inferior teams, so be it. And when it comes to game expectations, being the superior team means we should expect a win. Is it going to happen? This league is unpredictable. But how we win does not matter now as much as winning.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-27-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too get your point OgtheDim, but saying it doesn't matter how we win but it does for DCU kind of discredits it. If a win is a win for us, a win is a win for every other team in the league. Anyways, my original point wasn't to derail this thread and create something negative, I was simply replying to ronzilla who had posted that our last meeting was a 1-0 win and it was actually the 2-1 win at BMO where we won despite having almost every stat against us.

Anyways, lets take this back to the topic at hand, the game on Saturday.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, despite their position in the standings, Philly could end up being a pretty tough opponent next Saturday. Mentioned how they played New England to a draw away, but they've posted a few other great results over the last few games. Out of their last matches, they have a record of 2-1-1 and have racked up 6 goals, so they're definitely trending well in the trailing end of the season. Like Chicago before them, though, they do have a mid-week match they're playing away on Wednesday, so they could be coming into Toronto with some fatigue.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the PHI vs NER game and it was only close in score. NER killed them but the PHI goalie played out of his mind. Made 2 or 3 out of this world saves. Otherwise NER wins by two goals. NER carved up PHI defense but could not beat the goalie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of have a good feeling about this game. Regardless of the outcome, Philly should be mentally and emotionally drained from the USOC final. I think they'll probably come out flat and TFC will capitalize on that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I kind of have a good feeling about this game. Regardless of the outcome, Philly should be mentally and emotionally drained from the USOC final. I think they'll probably come out flat and TFC will capitalize on that.
    Oh nooooooooooooo! A positive prediction, B??

Really, though, love the confidence.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On paper, this is the easiest of our remaining matches. I doubt it will be easy, but 3 points is a must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha I like how the word p-l-a-y-o-f-f is blanked out on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In town from Edmonton and plan on sitting in your section! Can't wait for the game. Been a few years since my last TFC match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a must win and hopefully we will secure a p****** position. After this game the last 3 games are teams with winning records and we have not shown well. We could easily lose the last 3 games of the season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people here should remember that all except the last game is at home. The home advantage in this league is huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic, but, if Seba is going to get that 5th yellow card it may as well be in this game. I'd rather he miss the match against NYRB then Columbus, or, Montreal.
    On a more optimistic note, hopefully, he never gets it period.
    Another huge match on the march to the "p word"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are lots of 12 dollar tickets on stubhub

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    There are lots of 12 dollar tickets on stubhub
    Which is probably $20 once all the fees are added and it's converted to CA$...I didn't notice Stubhub is in US$ and got stung for some concert tickets the other day. DOH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a saturday night PIayoffs (as close as i could get to undoing Fizik's wizardry) clinch would be amazing. Right now the MTL vs Orlando game is listed as on TVA... anyone know if anywhere in liberty has that channel?
    Last edited by Pint; 09-29-2015 at 08:29 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    So a saturday night PIayoffs (as close as i could get to undoing Fizik's wizardry) clinch would be amazing. Right now the game is listed as on TVA... anyone know if anywhere in liberty has that channel?
    its on sportsnet 360
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    its on sportsnet 360
    sorry meant to say the mtl vs orlando game... 730 start so right from BMO to somewhere to hopefully see everything fall into place