Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should field the 'B' squad, call some players up from TFCII. Rest everyone for the home stretch.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I don't care about this game at all. TFC could lose 6-0 and it wouldn't bother me. We don't need the points and should save everything for the last home stretch. That is where we need to take care of business.
    True, this is a Western opponent, only marginal value in winning. Still you always want to win.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

Funny how it doesn't look all that bad actually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW

Funny how it doesn't look all that bad actually.
    I was just going to post that exact same thing.
    Won't be upset with a loss, but truly won't even be surprised at all if we beat Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sure hope the team goes in expecting to win! No points are easily expendible for TFC.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    True, this is a Western opponent, only marginal value in winning. Still you always want to win.
    Agreed for the most part, but Columbus isn't that far ahead in points (and only three points separate them from DCU). If we're going to make the playoffs, we might as well fight for a good seed now that the regular season is hitting its final quarter for matches.

I'll say this - a win would help us out a lot more than a loss would hinder us.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 09-02-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there an update on Cheyrou's injury? Would be a good game to rest him, we need him for the home stretch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much of this "not a must win game" BS . Every game must be approached as a win. Hey, a few of us are going to this match and spending $$$ . I don't want to be heckled out that stadium. Last year, we won and it was nice to see the plastic green folks giving us the finger. Better to be hated than pitied as was beginning to happen at away games !!. So Vanney, get these guys thinking win and stop finding reasons to be poor to mediocre .... been there, done that about 9 times since 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dow117 View Post
    Too much of this "not a must win game" BS . Every game must be approached as a win. Hey, a few of us are going to this match and spending $$$ . I don't want to be heckled out that stadium. Last year, we won and it was nice to see the plastic green folks giving us the finger. Better to be hated than pitied as was beginning to happen at away games !!. So Vanney, get these guys thinking win and stop finding reasons to be poor to mediocre .... been there, done that about 9 times since 2007.
    You're really missing the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must play every game to win, this sport is all about winning. You can't pick and choose the games to win or lose. Every game is a MUST WIN !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Every game is a MUST WIN !
    But that's literally not true.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    You must play every game to win, this sport is all about winning. You can't pick and choose the games to win or lose. Every game is a MUST WIN !
    Tell that to Mourinho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IT IS ABOUT WINNING THE WAR NOT THE BATTLE. If we are more likely to win the war by resting our players in a game that we will have trouble winning, even if we play all out, the right move is to rest our players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a playoff format you don't need to win every game in the regular season. In a single table league title format each win is more important. Just stating the obvious.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    IT IS ABOUT WINNING THE WAR NOT THE BATTLE. If we are more likely to win the war by resting our players in a game that we will have trouble winning, even if we play all out, the right move is to rest our players.
    Some people don't seem to realize this! Every good manager knows when to rest key players. All we need to do in order to get into a good playoff spot is to win 4 out of the remaining 8 games if we lose in Seattle. Easily achievable given that the only away game will be to a very demoralized Montreal Impact.

If Vanney rests ANY players and we lose in Seattle , though, I expect the usual suspects to demand his firing in the "deathwatch" thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for TFC to wipe the smug smile off of the green team's plastic fans' faces, but I care even more about the long term view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's true enough. But on the flipside, like I remarked earlier, even with the Sounders at full-strength compared to TFC, I don't believe a win in Seattle is insurmountable. Not gonna be easy, obviously, but doable. So I don't think we should give up on the notion of playing for the full three points.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 09-03-2015 at 06:36 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Some people don't seem to realize this! Every good manager knows when to rest key players. All we need to do in order to get into a good playoff spot is to win 4 out of the remaining 8 games if we lose in Seattle. Easily achievable given that the only away game will be to a very demoralized Montreal Impact.

If Vanney rests ANY players and we lose in Seattle , though, I expect the usual suspects to demand his firing in the "deathwatch" thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for TFC to wipe the smug smile off of the green team's plastic fans' faces, but I care even more about the long term view.
    Also an away game at that farce of a football pitch .... Yankee Stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making the playoffs is only worth it if they get at least one home game out of it, because making it to only play one lousy away game where the likelihood of winning is next to zero sucks. That's what they should be striving for not just making the playoffs, therefore, they need to try and get a result in every game if they can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to "make the playoffs". Who cares? I want to be a better team, one the plays well against great teams

That said, it's not tanking if you don't play your best XI every game. It's very important to give depth players key roles in September/October, you are going to need them late in the season and the playoffs , as key frontline guys are certain to be missing with injuries.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. Besides, the games coming up against Eastern Conference rivals will have far greater implications in terms of playoff seeding.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll be very content with a tie.

However if we do lose - I'd like it to be a good loss, with key performances from our back line and a strong outing from Gomez and Moore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resting? Who the F is resting ? There's not 1 single player that is going to be "rested" for this game. It's injuries and Int. call-ups that's keeping players out. Do you think Seba would be on the bench "resting" if he was not injured? I don't think so.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to Joe's for this. I'll be recovered from Canada by then. Is there anything else on at that time I should worry about?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone in burlington wants to meet at a pub let me know, cottage plans fell through.

If the train ran just a little later i would come downtown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping just a game but I think it might be 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'll be very content with a tie.

However if we do lose - I'd like it to be a good loss, with key performances from our back line and a strong outing from Gomez and Moore.
    Oh Jabs, always compromising.

But to be honest; as much as a win would be great, I'd be content with a draw as well - given the circumstances of the respective team rosters coming into the match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed it was a bad tackle - but at same time why can't we hire refs who get things right in the first place and keep consistent standards.

This league is in many ways a joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the original point of supplemental discipline is to punish an event that the refs did not see correct? It has now turned into a way to punish things the league either doesn't like or that the ref was too incompetent to call.

Maybe it's time for the league to bring in competent refs and stop re-officiating the game every week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    So the original point of supplemental discipline is to punish an event that the refs did not see correct? It has now turned into a way to punish things the league either doesn't like or that the ref was too incompetent to call.

Maybe it's time for the league to bring in competent refs and stop re-officiating the game every week.
    The league clearly has about as much respect for its own refs as do the people on this forum. It definitely begs for a fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    If anyone in burlington wants to meet at a pub let me know, cottage plans fell through.

If the train ran just a little later i would come downtown.
    I can't make it this game in particular but what is a good place in Burlington to go watch TFC games that finish after the last GO train? Whenever Reds are playing on the west coast it's hard to make to back home after Joe's sometimes.

Cheers