Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Vanney needs to drill these guys on breaking that high press, or we're going to be screwed. I mean, the general wisdom is that a high press is vulnerable to a good ball over the top, but we don't seem to be executing that, either.
    You need other kids and forwards to make smart off the ball movement. Tfc players tend to react than be proactive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't wait for this game!!! REally looking forward to jumping and singing with everyone in 112!!! It feels like it's been a while without a game at BMO. Partially because the last couple of games were forgettable but this should be the bounce back game!!! Hoping for some magic from the trio or at least just Giovinco.

See you in the stands mates!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently they worked on beating the press before the last two games. Players didn't execute. Doesn't help when your points of your diamond play poorly and your shuttlers don't like to play out wide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confident going into this game, therefore I should expect to be disappointed.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    You need other kids and forwards to make smart off the ball movement. Tfc players tend to react than be proactive.
    Yeah, movement off the ball has been poor in the past few games.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son has a game in Toronto Saturday morning, so he and I will actually be in the stands for this one to break our BMO cherry. Looking forward to an entertaining game, regardless of the score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I've noted at the past couple of games - including two at the last game - is throw-ins from near my section (120), where no one showed any interest in being the target ... they all just stood around, giving no options to the thrower. The people in my section saw it and were screaming at the players. No movement at all.

You'd think the coach could sit the team down and watch some film of Barcelona and say, "You don't have to be this good but at least have a look at what these guys do when they don't have the ball."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I may have read that Ceren would be out for Orlando for this match anyways, but he was suspended 1 game from the DisCo so he definitely won't be available.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Notes based on video of Vanney and others today (and Kudos to the in house GOL reporter for asking Vanney the question about formation)

Vanney indicating the midfield left the defence exposed against NYRB. Needs clarity in the midfield of who is stepping to who and pressuring the ball. Wants more aggression in the midfield. NYRB were allowed to swing things from side to side.

Bradley talked to about not trying to find the killer pass. "Recalibrating behaviour" of people who played in the Gold Cup.

Williams likely to start as CD again.

Perquis doubtful/unlikely for Orlando. Everybody else is back in training.

"Still working on becoming a team". "Still establishing an identity." Due to all the time away before the Gold Cup and injuries.

In discussions about the USMNT friendlies.

Anxious to get Manella his debut but needs to get minutes so both him and Chapman are down at TFCII.

Williams hasn't played CD in 2 seasons. He thinks its his best position. Was pushed out to RB because of how fit he is (and he does look buff).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the recap Og, appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Notes based on video of Vanney and others today (and Kudos to the in house GOL reporter for asking Vanney the question about formation)

Vanney indicating the midfield left the defence exposed against NYRB. Needs clarity in the midfield of who is stepping to who and pressuring the ball. Wants more aggression in the midfield. NYRB were allowed to swing things from side to side.

Bradley talked to about not trying to find the killer pass. "Recalibrating behaviour" of people who played in the Gold Cup.

Williams likely to start as CD again.

Perquis doubtful/unlikely for Orlando. Everybody else is back in training.

"Still working on becoming a team". "Still establishing an identity." Due to all the time away before the Gold Cup and injuries.

In discussions about the USMNT friendlies.

Anxious to get Manella his debut but needs to get minutes so both him and Chapman are down at TFCII.

Williams hasn't played CD in 2 seasons. He thinks its his best position. Was pushed out to RB because of how fit he is (and he does look buff).
    Indicted Bendik on the second goal as well. Essentially said it stemmed from a terrible goal kick and that it was a goal we really should have kept out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Indicted Bendik on the second goal as well. Essentially said it stemmed from a terrible goal kick and that it was a goal we really should have kept out.
    Yeah, I thought that was interesting. Bendik might not start this weekend and if he does, his distribution has to be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team is just not good enough they have proved it with too many performances like the game with the Red Bulls last Saturday . How much better is this team than Orlando really, not much really, therefore not expecting much from Saturday's game a loss is as much a possibility as a win or a tie. I think this team is done for another season, making the playoffs for this team will be a miracle never mind beating Orlando.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I thought that was interesting. Bendik might not start this weekend and if he does, his distribution has to be better.
    It won't be, Bendik has been a poor distributor since he started playing for us. His only positive ability is quick reaction saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious about Perquis' on going status. Is he pretty much done at TFC?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I'm curious about Perquis' on going status. Is he pretty much done at TFC?
    Vanney said he should be able to go against Montreal. Also since he is a bit older, has a strain, and probably wouldn't be a starter with Kantari being new and WIlliams looking better than expected, might as well rest him a bit until really 100%.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    It won't be, Bendik has been a poor distributor since he started playing for us. His only positive ability is quick reaction saves.
    I actually meant had to be better or he won't start again. Management's patience with him is wearing thin it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's hoping we can turn the tide here and get a clean sheet for once. That would be a big boost for this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ABSOLUTELY.

Was re-watching the last 2-matches and noticed I'm not the only one WATCHING the match - half our players were doing just that, watching.

Movement, effort, finding space - even in the ball never gets to you you're making space taking a defender with you.

I'd rather see us lose 3-nil with an honest, gutsy, 100% effort - then just sitting, watching, and hoping for something (aka Giovinco) to create magic.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    ABSOLUTELY.

Was re-watching the last 2-matches and noticed I'm not the only one WATCHING the match - half our players were doing just that, watching.

Movement, effort, finding space - even in the ball never gets to you you're making space taking a defender with you.

I'd rather see us lose 3-nil with an honest, gutsy, 100% effort - then just sitting, watching, and hoping for something (aka Giovinco) to create magic.
    Seba was the only one who moved enough to help team mates and even he moved less than usual. Bradley and Jozy moved a bit and the rest were statues. Didn't improve until Herc and Lovitz came on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This match is important and a must-win in terms of getting 3 pts on the board after the shit-show of the last two games.

Hope we can replicate that victory against them earlier this month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Seba was the only one who moved enough to help team mates and even he moved less than usual. Bradley and Jozy moved a bit and the rest were statues. Didn't improve until Herc and Lovitz came on.
    There was a game about a month back where Creavalle got the ball in the other teams end and two guys were all over him immediately. So he's backpedaling and every TFC player was just standing there watching, as if they were thinking "let's see how this goes." Nobody made any attempt to give him an option.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is really good using his strength to muscle into positions during buildup and playing the ball from feet. He's not a target man, despite his size and the temptation to play him as one. He is much better with the ball at his feet than on his head.
    Jack, we spoke about Jozy before.

IMO, there's valid points about his Strengths like ball at his feet etc, however for someone who's as big as him he doesn't play big.

GIO plays big

He tends to fall down quite abit from little contact.

People should be bouncing off him like flies.

He tends to be lazy at the wrong times.

He's a poacher not a striker.

We joke in 112 saying we'll see a flash of 5 min of his brilliance where he'll come out of nowhere and score.

Problem is when will that happen?

Why not put GIO up Front and slot Jozy behind to poach.

I like him and he should be on the squad but this what I have been observing while watching us (him) play.

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GlenM View Post

IMO, there's valid points about his Strengths like ball at his feet etc, however for someone who's as big as him he doesn't play big.

GIO plays big

We joke in 112 saying we'll see a flash of 5 min of his brilliance where he'll come out of nowhere and score.

I like him and he should be on the squad but this what I have been observing while watching us (him) play.

GlenM

why would you put a poacher further away from goal? that's counter intuitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be Bendik because Konopka (and Hagglund) just got loaned to the II.

FO calling this a conditioning stint for Konopka and Hagglund, that implies they might get some first team minutes at some point.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 08-19-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: clarification

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono as the backup?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    why would you put a poacher further away from goal? that's counter intuitive.
    Because he's not exactly a speed demon and he would be in a position to get rebounds etc...

Just a thought, could be worth a try.

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono as the backup?
    Can Konopka play tonight with TFC II and play Saturday with the big boys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GlenM View Post

GIO plays big

GlenM
    I understand what you mean by saying Giovinco plays big, but he is able to do so , because he runs at people and he has space by playing in the hole or on the wings, you put him upfront you take away his strengths, he could only be effective on the counter. Altidore is the CF, and he contributes to Gio's success by creating space and a player for Gio to bounce the ball off, and to finish. The triangle of Gio, Altidore and Bradley, is not our problem, despite Altidore being a bit lost at the moment. it will pass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I understand what you mean by saying Giovinco plays big, but he is able to do so , because he runs at people and he has space by playing in the hole or on the wings, you put him upfront you take away his strengths, he could only be effective on the counter. Altidore is the CF, and he contributes to Gio's success by creating space and a player for Gio to bounce the ball off, and to finish. The triangle of Gio, Altidore and Bradley, is not our problem, despite Altidore being a bit lost at the moment. it will pass.
    cosign 100%