Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Whatever you or other fans may think of him the guy has played in both Ligue 1 and La Liga during his career. He is a good defender by that standard. Clearly he's having a very difficult time adjusting to the constant calls/missed calls that we continually see in MLS. I've never seen him show this much outward display of frustration in all my time watching him. Does he need to improve. Yes, but it is his first year in a brand new soccer culture/system.
    Good thing he was suspended for that shite from last Saturday. He'd have probably been arrested after that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Whatever you or other fans may think of him the guy has played in both Ligue 1 and La Liga during his career. He is a good defender by that standard. Clearly he's having a very difficult time adjusting to the constant calls/missed calls that we continually see in MLS. I've never seen him show this much outward display of frustration in all my time watching him. Does he need to improve. Yes, but it is his first year in a brand new soccer culture/system.
    Yup, this right here^

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think Bendik has better technique than Konopka. Better recovery too and is faster. Konopka does look awkward and slow but his positioning and communication is better. Bottom line: for whatever reason, the team plays better in front of Konopka.
    In terms of shot stopping, sure. But the other stuff, which people overlook but coaches shouldn't, Bednik is just not up to par.

Neither is great on the ball or has good distribution, but I find Bednik just a bit more speculative with his decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without getting into the finer points of goaltending technique, Bendik isn't playing well as well as Konopka was playing; sticking with Bendik is just stubbornness and doesn't serve the team well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And talking over and over and over again about Konopka replacing Bendik is equally pointless in a game thread because its not going to happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And talking over and over and over again about Konopka replacing Bendik is equally pointless in a game thread because its not going to happen.
    Then we shouldn't be surprised when our goals against stays at 3 or higher. We'll allow at least that many this weekend. I just hope our offence can click again but we're up against another pressing team so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me Bendik is too laissez faire about commanding the box and directing his backline. Often isn't strong in getting up for balls in the air (maybe because he's fat). But also don't think he's a big problem either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    To me Bendik is too laissez faire about commanding the box and directing his backline. Often isn't strong in getting up for balls in the air (maybe because he's fat). But also don't think he's a big problem either.
    But he's one of the problems. You have to work on fixing all of them for us to be successful. The defense is to blame too and all those small issues compound into one big 3+ GA pile of crap.

So yeah, defense is culpable. No doubt, but I don't think Bendik is helping them to succeed. Lack of communication, poor positioning, and a lack of control of his box has defenders questioning where they should be and you can see it. The back four, especially the CBs (all of them) look more rattled and chaotic when Bendik is in there. It'd be hard to argue that the back line looks at least more composed when Konopka is in there. And as per Larsun's article, yes, we allow 5+ shots per match and a lot of that is due to poor passing and general silliness when trying to play the ball out of the back (that one's on Vanney) but to call Bendik a scapegoat while pointing to his flashy saves is ridiculous. It's a pretty superficial outlook and sadly, I think it's the same one our coaching staff has as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its just a confidence issue with Bendik. And I dont blame him. That backline in front of him has let him down huge. Most of our goals against arnt the fault of Bendik but the backline and defensive miss for allowing the play to get through for a chance at Bendik.

If the backline can play more stable and get better out of Perquis and Morrow who both have had some head cramps in the back and the midfield can do kore to slow attacks down Bendik won't have to be relied on as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But he's one of the problems. You have to work on fixing all of them for us to be successful. The defense is to blame too and all those small issues compound into one big 3+ GA pile of crap.

So yeah, defense is culpable. No doubt, but I don't think Bendik is helping them to succeed. Lack of communication, poor positioning, and a lack of control of his box has defenders questioning where they should be and you can see it. The back four, especially the CBs (all of them) look more rattled and chaotic when Bendik is in there. It'd be hard to argue that the back line looks at least more composed when Konopka is in there. And as per Larsun's article, yes, we allow 5+ shots per match and a lot of that is due to poor passing and general silliness when trying to play the ball out of the back (that one's on Vanney) but to call Bendik a scapegoat while pointing to his flashy saves is ridiculous. It's a pretty superficial outlook and sadly, I think it's the same one our coaching staff has as well.
    Yeah I agree with most of this. I remember a few years ago watching Brad Friedel in a Spurs practice. Holy crap that guy is intense. Even in practice the defense knew exactly where it was supposed to be and got in serious shit if they weren't. To me Bendik lacks the intensity and command it takes to be a really good keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many of the goals Bendik has allowed this season were stoppable. The backline is not as much of an issue as some are portraying. It's not a coincidence that our goals against was respectable when Konopka had a run of games and now it has skyrocketed again with Bendik in goal.

It impacts the entire team, and it's deflating for the players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooooooo...........do we stick with the diamond?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 man mid, only let Seba venture up. Bench Jozy. Play for the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too early to scrap the diamond as we're just getting our starters back. What we need is for Bendik to be like most other keepers in this league and make a few big saves. Not just one due to his terrible positioning to begin with.

Normally I don't like to use scapegoats.. but Bendik has been absolutely atrocious this year and last. Yes there is some blame to be placed on the defense/midfield group, however watching numerous games this year, most teams give up these opportunities, yet their goaltenders bail them out far more often. Look at Melia last night with his save on Jackson, that is a surefire goal against Bendik because he would have been much too close to his left post to stop it.

Bingham has done very well for SJ, Deric in Houston, Clark in Columbus... hell even Evan Bush in Montreal looks more steady than Bendik. He is not a #1 keeper at this level, or at least he hasn't shown that he can be one in the last 2 years. He's only played 11 games and he's got a GAA of 2.00.. That is horrendous. It's not just the team is the player. Konopka's GAA is 1.45 over the same number of games and he's a career backup too. Among starters, Bendik is 18th in save percentage. If we ride him out this year.. I trust that Bez will be looking into a legitimate GK for next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Soooooooo...........do we stick with the diamond?
    I'd say yes. Jozy is still important as a a hold up player and we're going to need that against NY's high press.

Cheyrou slots back in at the base and push Warner out wide. Delgado sits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is Herculez gonna play? Like at least off the bench or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy vs. his old club... I hope he gets fired up for this one.

I think he starts but if he's not getting into the game we sub him out early for Gomez (like around 60 minutes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Bono is not even on the bench for today's tfc 2 game. I wonder if he's in new york

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    To me Bendik lacks the intensity and command it takes to be a really good keeper.
    If we go by Larsun's Sun article then it looks like Bendik is the fun, joking glue guy in the locker room, just like Jeremy Hall was. It is true that having a guy like that is important but that guy should either be a position player of the back up GK. I see that kind of intensity in other GKs around the league and Konopka for sure isn't among the best of them but he surely isn't among the worst like Bendik currently is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Konopka has an epic beard, that alone should should command respect, but seriously though I think the defense infront needs to play better.

I think Vanney would know if his players have lost confidene in Bendik so we shall see if a change occurs, I do agree that Bendik should be more assertive, somones got to get control of Perquis and he certainly cant do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'd say yes. Jozy is still important as a a hold up player and we're going to need that against NY's high press.

Cheyrou slots back in at the base and push Warner out wide. Delgado sits.
    I'm not a fan of a diamond personally and maybe that effects my response. I think it puts too much on the player at the base. In this case Cheyrou who really isn't a natural DM in my opinion nor has the legs to cover that ground on his own. If you want to answer why we are giving up so many goals the diamond is a good place to look. But, again, that's from my own playing experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Well Bono is not even on the bench for today's tfc 2 game. I wonder if he's in new york
    Team hasn't left yet and if he makes the 1st team before Q i may lose my damn mind lol Might just be that they wanted him training today with Q starting.
    Last edited by Pint; 08-12-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Konopka concede 4 goals back-to-back last few games he played ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Didn't Konopka concede 4 goals back-to-back last few games he played ?
    Yup 4-0 against LA (which was as much the defences fault as it was his) and 4-4 v NYC (He should have had the free kick and our defence was yet again a travesty)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

(Again, this has been surprisingly accurate this season)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy needs to come off the bench until he can prove he is a starter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Jozy needs to come off the bench until he can prove he is a starter.
    He's a starter on every team but LAG, including TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that he's injured just like Bradley was at the end of last year, suspect that once he's back to 100% we will see a difference

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ftr if I'm not mistaken he's got 7 goals in 12 games