Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, there are about 4 decent keepers in MLS

Saunders (this season), Hamid, Ousted, Rimando

Everybody else has issues (yes, even St. Frei himself misses every couple of games)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    It must be based on seniority and pay. I can't imagine how the staff can't see the errors he's making game in and game out unless they believe all his issues can be corrected with coaching and reps.
    They don't believe the goals are his errors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    They don't believe the goals are his errors.
    There's causation and correlation. Bendik did not cause the goal by loss of marking/focus/open space, but he's definitely not helping to rectify the situation as he's often out of position when turn over/open shots occurs. Is it awareness? Is it complacency? Is it the ability to read and perceive danger as it unfolds in front of him? Bendik is not lacking techniques at all. I say Bendik has better techniques than Konopka. However, something else that's less tangible, be it mentality or vocal communication or game sense, is somewhat an area much to be desired.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stefan Frei is earning $165k per season. That's a lot of salary space.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Bendik making what? About $13K less? Frei is not perfect but for $13K he's better than Bendik.

Looks like $8K less. That really is a no brainer on who gives you more bang for the buck.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 08-10-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He is under paid compared to these guys. Didn't know Hamid was on that much.

Sean Johnson $253K
    Steve Clark 188K
    Dan Kennedy 233K
    Bill Hamid 405K
    Tally Hall 228k
    Donovan Rickets 260k
    Rais Mbbolhi 350k
    Adam Kwarasery 260k
    Nick Rimando 375k
    David Ousted 302k

All guaranteed not base. Bendik on 157k
    Everyone else not listen on less.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/Jul...0By%20Club.pdf

Luis Robles on 151k
    Last edited by pdubs; 08-10-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the Bendik issue; he is on $157K but doesn't offer much (if anything) more than a guy making $60K. If you want to talk waste of money then it's him. There is no major increase in level of play from Konopka to Bendik yet he makes 2.5 times his salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Head's up people:

There's not a single journo or a single person involved with TFC who think anybody but Bendik is the man for the rest of the season. That's not going to change until he begins to make blunders that the staff credit as such. People can call for a change but it ain't happening.
    technically, he must be superior. It's just that at the moment it isn't translating on the field. He has been at fault for at least one goal each game since he has been back. Plus Konopka saves penalties, which is unfortunately quite relevant the way our D are playing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If there is a silver lining in that loss its that we most likely avoided having Mo for an extra 1-2 more years which would have set this franchise back another 3 years.
    We lost Mo when Preki did not look like he was going to make the playoffs, hard to connect that so directly to the NYC Red Bull debacle. Plus there is no silver lining to that game, none. None.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    technically, he must be superior. It's just that at the moment it isn't translating on the field. He has been at fault for at least one goal each game since he has been back. Plus Konopka saves penalties, which is unfortunately quite relevant the way our D are playing
    Konopka's very shaky at handling the ball. He's a reaction keeper; so is Bendik, but Bendik has more chance of taking the ball in the air. That's probably all it is.

I just don't think Bendik reads the play very well and he puts himself in difficult positions. Frei, whom we traded, has more than twenty games in this season, so he's established now as the out-and-out in Seattle. He's been one of the best in the league this season.

Pointless to talk about now, trade deadline has passed. I suppose we could find someone good out of contract from Europe if we have the cap....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Konopka's very shaky at handling the ball. He's a reaction keeper; so is Bendik, but Bendik has more chance of taking the ball in the air. That's probably all it is.

I just don't think Bendik reads the play very well and he puts himself in difficult positions. Frei, whom we traded, has more than twenty games in this season, so he's established now as the out-and-out in Seattle. He's been one of the best in the league this season.

Pointless to talk about now, trade deadline has passed. I suppose we could find someone good out of contract from Europe if we have the cap....
    I agree with you, but Bendik often doesn't use that assurance in games and too often stands on his line when he should come out and grab the ball. (Those two scrappy goals by NE were examples of that - he wasn't commanding his six yard box at all.) Konopka looked really shakey on those kind of balls in his first couple of games but improved. And agreed, it's one or the other at this point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I suppose we could find someone good out of contract from Europe if we have the cap....
    As good as Gomez may be, this is where we should have spent that money but if we have more space then we should be looking for someone experienced to hold the fort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be worthwhile to give Roberts a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mods...can you keep discussion on topic?

I would be shocked if Perrinelle isn't suspended for the match. At the end of IR he takes a swing at one of the NYFC players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It might be worthwhile to give Roberts a shot.
    Perhaps if get to the point in the season where we are guaranteed a playoff spot we could give him a couple games

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Games like the one coming up against NYRB against clubss higher in the standings than us are far better indicators of our true quality than anything else, and TFC would be fools to go into New York without addressing some key shortcomings on this team.

I mean, we beat Orlando 4-1? Beat Montreal and San Jose both with a final score of 3-1? But so what!? Sure, we can make the playoffs with the roster we have now operating at it's current level - but we're not going to last long in the post season if clubs like SKC can pick us apart at home like what we saw happen last Saturday. I know we have some nice space to work with in the Eastern standings right now, but we gotta start winning these games against the stronger teams in the league.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYRB on a real good run these days and they play a style that can give us a lot of problems. We'll be in real tough unless all facets of our game are running A+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Games like the one coming up against NYRB against clubss higher in the standings than us are far better indicators of our true quality than anything else, and TFC would be fools to go into New York without addressing some key shortcomings on this team.

I mean, we beat Orlando 4-1? Beat Montreal and San Jose both with a final score of 3-1? But so what!? Sure, we can make the playoffs with the roster we have now operating at it's current level - but we're not going to last long in the post season if clubs like SKC can pick us apart at home like what we saw happen last Saturday. I know we have some nice space to work with in the Eastern standings right now, but we gotta start winning these games against the stronger teams in the league.

we ended D.C.'s 20 game home unbeaten streak. Something to think about.

We had a much bigger problem with getting results against good teams last year then we do this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Here's the Bendik issue; he is on $157K but doesn't offer much (if anything) more than a guy making $60K. If you want to talk waste of money then it's him. There is no major increase in level of play from Konopka to Bendik yet he makes 2.5 times his salary.
    $60k I'd just hope for someone who can tie their shoelaces, not enough money to get any sort of pro. Knopka is underpaid to a certain extent.

I don't get the "Bednik has good technique" argument. Tell that to a goalkeeping coach, I'm sure you'll get an earful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    $60k I'd just hope for someone who can tie their shoelaces, not enough money to get any sort of pro. Knopka is underpaid to a certain extent.

I don't get the "Bednik has good technique" argument. Tell that to a goalkeeping coach, I'm sure you'll get an earful.
    i am with you. Would love to see Konopka start this game, with one exception, we played much better with him in net. But I sense it will not be happening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I think Bendik has better technique than Konopka. Better recovery too and is faster. Konopka does look awkward and slow but his positioning and communication is better. Bottom line: for whatever reason, the team plays better in front of Konopka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Konopka looks way more intimidating with the beard. Play Konopka for the rest of the season and hope that our attacking play can get the results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it help Bendik if he grew a beard?

Hey, it worked for Tim howard, didn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Would it help Bendik if he grew a beard?

Hey, it worked for Tim howard, didn't it?
    I don't think there is time for that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmmm......

There will be an interview of Vanney up tonight as there is a tweet of him being interviewed by Gol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope Perquis is ok. No matter what the perception is of him as of late, the guy is a good defender and we need him on this team if we want to move forward towards the post season.

I'm actually most interested in seeing Veron play this upcoming weekend. Hope his pace doesn't kill our backline.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Hope Perquis is ok. No matter what the perception is of him as of late, the guy is a good defender and we need him on this team if we want to move forward towards the post season.

I'm actually most interested in seeing Veron play this upcoming weekend. Hope his pace doesn't kill our backline.
    I dunno if he's a 'good' defender but he's better than most CBs we've had before. I'm hoping that all the mistakes he's making is due to getting used to MLS and he'll get the stupid out of his system soon.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I dunno if he's a 'good' defender but he's better than most CBs we've had before. I'm hoping that all the mistakes he's making is due to getting used to MLS and he'll get the stupid out of his system soon.
    Whatever you or other fans may think of him the guy has played in both Ligue 1 and La Liga during his career. He is a good defender by that standard. Clearly he's having a very difficult time adjusting to the constant calls/missed calls that we continually see in MLS. I've never seen him show this much outward display of frustration in all my time watching him. Does he need to improve. Yes, but it is his first year in a brand new soccer culture/system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Whatever you or other fans may think of him the guy has played in both Ligue 1 and La Liga during his career. He is a good defender by that standard. Clearly he's having a very difficult time adjusting to the constant calls/missed calls that we continually see in MLS. I've never seen him show this much outward display of frustration in all my time watching him. Does he need to improve. Yes, but it is his first year in a brand new soccer culture/system.
    in summary, he's having a tough time dealing with incompetent refereeing level in this league... i don't blame him, but does wish cooler heads will prevail eventually
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC