Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was 19 million per season vs 3 million per season out there, and the "rich" team was at home!! Any other league in the world would you expect the home team with 5x the payroll to get thrashed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    There was 19 million per season vs 3 million per season out there, and the "rich" team was at home!! Any other league in the world would you expect the home team with 5x the payroll to get thrashed?
    You would when & if the rich team was tactically 100% outmatched and never adjusted until it was too late.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We got exposed today by a better, deeper team. We learned we have something to build towards. Chance Myers was a beast (a diving bitch beast), but he played a perfect game on the right. Closed down Giovinco and shut him off. An in-form Altidore scores that header and it's a different game. Bez has a very easy offseason target. Replace Caldwell's leadership and vocal presence in the back. This team is still a work in progress. But at least we have identifiable goals. A keeper and a backline leader. Let's do our thing until it happens. Playoffs are still very much a reality, but we are three players away from being a real MLS contender. We are still miles ahead of any previousl incarnation of TFC
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And full credit to a well-coached KC today. That is a TEAM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    And full credit to a well-coached KC today. That is a TEAM.
    Felt like they had more players on the field than Orlando - really well-positioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    Felt like they had more players on the field than Orlando - really well-positioned.
    It did really seem that way. A well executed game plan by SKC, and a less than stellar performance by TFC. Hope Vanney gets this sorted soon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I was surprised by the light attendance, what's up with that? People making choices when there is two games in a week?
    I was thinking that until I realised 24K is about our 3rd highest of the season. I still think if we did 7 pm games we'd be doing better but CFL rules on TSN.

In ever other league in the world that 6x the payroll is spread over the whole team.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-09-2015 at 06:44 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another small note:

The slow build up to the "O when the Reds" got a foot stomping drum roll from the West side. Baby steps all this but the day of the West following the south's lead is forseeable. (The danger to this would be a huge price increase in the light and mid greys, but lets make the playoffs first)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know what our win/lose ratio is with and without Bradley? A friend brought up the point yesterday that the team seems to play a more team game when guys don't have to rely on him or when things don't have to go through him.....and I do see that.

Not saying we're better without him in the lineup but more of a curious observation.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit of topic but after game yesterday I met a very trim looking john carver in the brazen head and then in Williams landing I met Caldwell. Both super nice fellas who had no problem chatting to us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Bit of topic but after game yesterday I met a very trim looking john carver in the brazen head and then in Williams landing I met Caldwell. Both super nice fellas who had no problem chatting to us
    Opening day of the Prem and JC is in Toronto? That's interesting. I know he is in between jobs so it's not like he had to be anywhere in particular, but it still surprises me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Anyone know what our win/lose ratio is with and without Bradley?

Dom
    I think this question is better suited to Bendik. Look at our numbers with him Vs. Konopka.

Last year I said the same about Bradley but this year sometimes it's players looking for Seba at all times. That I can live with. Zero communication at the back, not so much. If anyone watched the Whitecaps match last night and took notice of Ousted's frequent outbursts on his back line, that right there is how it's done and why I said for a couple years that we should look for an experienced lower European league GK to hold the fort until Q or Bono is ready for prime time. Right now Bendik is just not good enough.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    Thats because the midfield is turtle slow! Osorio, Warner and Delgado are a bad combination to have on at the same time, and i've notice this from watching the last couple games. one of them needs to be replaced with a midfield player with more pace. Anytime we play against any team with any kind of pace in the midfield we struggle to get anything going. Bradley is also slow but he's an important part of this team so we have to look at bringing in a midfield player that compliments him. The lack pace in the Midfield is why they're slow at closing down players or creating anything against any team that has pace there. SKC closed down our midfield player quickly and forced us to resort to long balls from the defense to the strikers.. Nothing was happening in the midfield until lovitz came on and that's when we started creating chances. I saw the same thing in the NE game. Any team that has pace in their midfield causes trouble for this TFC team. It's not that these guys are bad players but having them on at the same time just doesn't work. Thats why i think Osorio is used as a sub on team Canada. very skilled player but you can't play him next to slow players. He's basically a system player. He could be a really good player in the right system that includes midfield players with pace that cover his lack of pace. We need a #1 goalkeeper, A defender, if not 2, and a midfield player before we can even talk playoff success.
    Last edited by TorontoFC6fan; 08-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How was the appeal for a penalty from Jackson different from the penalty they got? Both arms were on shoulders both spun around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not the same as the rest of the world. Spreading 19M over 3 players (which MLS has to pay a premium to get) vs say 11 players is completely different.

Vanney was pissed in his press conference. I wonder if he is blowing steam or will be see actual changes. We played bad but we did miss two OPEN headers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who are saying this is just one game - get real. It was a depleted KC squad and we're getting embarrassed every other game - LA, NE, NYC.
    We were lucky Seba came to save the day against Columbus and NYC the second time or those results would've been the same.
    This isn't a good pattern for a team that wants to make it out of the first round (if they get in there in the first place).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    We got exposed today by a better, deeper team. We learned we have something to build towards. Chance Myers was a beast (a diving bitch beast), but he played a perfect game on the right. Closed down Giovinco and shut him off. An in-form Altidore scores that header and it's a different game. Bez has a very easy offseason target. Replace Caldwell's leadership and vocal presence in the back. This team is still a work in progress. But at least we have identifiable goals. A keeper and a backline leader. Let's do our thing until it happens. Playoffs are still very much a reality, but we are three players away from being a real MLS contender. We are still miles ahead of any previousl incarnation of TFC
    Well said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think this question is better suited to Bendik. Look at our numbers with him Vs. Konopka.

Last year I said the same about Bradley but this year sometimes it's players looking for Seba at all times. That I can live with. Zero communication at the back, not so much. If anyone watched the Whitecaps match last night and took notice of Ousted's frequent outbursts on his back line, that right there is how it's done and why I said for a couple years that we should look for an experienced lower European league GK to hold the fort until Q or Bono is ready for prime time. Right now Bendik is just not good enough.
    It's not going to be Bono. I don't know how he ranked so highly, but every time he plays it's a train wreck. And that's in USL.

Maybe Q deserves his shot; he posts all sorts of good numbers and is often the only reason TFC II is in a game. But he's still very, very young for a starting keeper.

I think neither Bendik nor Konopka are starting material. Good thing we didn't stick with Stefan Frei, eh? Probably the second-best keeper in the league now with Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's not going to be Bono. I don't know how he ranked so highly, but every time he plays it's a train wreck. And that's in USL.

Maybe Q deserves his shot; he posts all sorts of good numbers and is often the only reason TFC II is in a game. But he's still very, very young for a starting keeper.

I think neither Bendik nor Konopka are starting material. Good thing we didn't stick with Stefan Frei, eh? Probably the second-best keeper in the league now with Seattle.
    Bendik is only making about 150k a year. From what I have seen most top MLS keepers are on about 220k-250k. So if Bez has the rest of the roster under control in terms of wages with the TAM available we should be able to make an upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Today was entirely - ENTIRELY - down to them outnumbering us in midfield. Nothing about quality of play or Bendik or anything else. If people wanted to pin one game on Vanney, this would be the one. They pressed our defenders and played three guys right in front of Altidore and Seba and we couldn't get it to there feet. That's it. That's why we lost. SKC has had 6-7 seasons to build there team and style of play. We'll get there eventually.

let's take a deep breath and move on. If Vanney's team shows at the end of next season that we still can't defend and he doesn't show more willingness to counteract other teams tactics when they quite obviously match up well against us, then we can start talking about the future of the club. for now, we have 8 home game left over our next 12 which will easily get us into a nice playoff position. Let's enjoy the season while it lasts.
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you on that front. I can't help feeling that we are one injury away from a normal TFC season. Can you really say that our defence or style of play has improved since the first game? The quality of the goals we give up continues to be of the shambolic nature. With Altidore and Bradley only playing 65% of the games Giovinco looks like he feels he has to do it all himself. Home field advantage - I came from Victoria to see the home opener, Houston ...NYC FC ..the last night big saturday home games - where we haven't shown up. There is no excuse to be as bad as we have in those games. These are losses to average MLS teams ...not worldbeaters. There is no doubt that TFC can find a way to lose at home - this year we killed the atmosphere by building the Argos 2nd deck before they moved in. If we are to have any chance - Bradley and Altidore have to play a lot more consistently - to compete in the playoffs we need to hope our new CB comes good and some how Vanney figures out how to organize a team defensively.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    For those who are saying this is just one game - get real. It was a depleted KC squad and we're getting embarrassed every other game - LA, NE, NYC.
    We were lucky Seba came to save the day against Columbus and NYC the second time or those results would've been the same.
    This isn't a good pattern for a team that wants to make it out of the first round (if they get in there in the first place).
    Exactly! This is what i don't understand about some fans on here. some People on here make so many excuses for this team and certain players that sometimes i just shake my head. This is why i use the term "homer mentality" aka "leaf fans mentality" .. It's clear as day this team has big holes yet some people will argue that the team is fine and it's just 1 game. The same thing happened when we played NE. Just because we won against Orlando (without Kaka) that doesn't mean the issues are not there. look at the number of goal's we're giving up, look and how much seba has to do for TFC to win a game. There's issues with the midfield, defense and goalkeeping position. This team right now is a 1 and done playoff team.
    Last edited by TorontoFC6fan; 08-09-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Who here was saying that Zavaleta is better than Doneil?
    Better? No. Smarter, yes.

You have no proof Henry can go a few games without making a large mistake. Which is my point.

You have homer goggles on for the CMNT, let's be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who else would score on us late besides Jacob Fucking Peterson??
    I don't know of any other team in the league that lets players run into the box with little to no defensive pressure being put on them the way this team does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Good thing we didn't stick with Stefan Frei, eh? Probably the second-best keeper in the league now with Seattle.
    No way he makes the top 5. Sigi is better at hiding his weaknesses than most coaches. He's still got weak command of his box, but that's well hidden by who plays CB in front of him.

Hamid, Ousted(yet another player who Robinson has improved leaps /bounds), Kennedy, Rimando, heck Melia looked more well rounded yesterday than anything I've seen from frei in his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC end up making the playoffs it's going to be because they have improved as a team and especially on defense, not because we have all these home games left, that means shit when it comes to this bloody team, like I keep writing on here over and over again when was the last time this club had such an astounding winning record at home, which season out of the past 8 was it can someone tell me, anyone? But over and over again I come on here and people keep reminding us that because we have all these home games left that we are going to make the playoffs. So how did home advantage help us yesterday or against Houston on opening day a game you would think they would definitely win after playing all those games to start the season on the road and the fact they did ok on the road with all those consecutive away games, but yet their first game at home against Houston and we got a crap game from them. This team will make the playoffs because of improved play not because of all the remaining games at home, because as we have seen over the years with this club and again this season playing at home makes no difference with this club!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you on that front. I can't help feeling that we are one injury away from a normal TFC season. Can you really say that our defence or style of play has improved since the first game? The quality of the goals we give up continues to be of the shambolic nature. With Altidore and Bradley only playing 65% of the games Giovinco looks like he feels he has to do it all himself. Home field advantage - I came from Victoria to see the home opener, Houston ...NYC FC ..the last night big saturday home games - where we haven't shown up. There is no excuse to be as bad as we have in those games. These are losses to average MLS teams ...not worldbeaters. There is no doubt that TFC can find a way to lose at home - this year we killed the atmosphere by building the Argos 2nd deck before they moved in. If we are to have any chance - Bradley and Altidore have to play a lot more consistently - to compete in the playoffs we need to hope our new CB comes good and some how Vanney figures out how to organize a team defensively.
    Doom and gloom. Not sure the upper deck was built for the Argos. I was at the Argos game last night and the place was empty, probably the most sparse crowd I've ever seen. Unless everyone is taking year a off before they invade BMO next year, but I doubt it. I think TFC has done well to this point considering Bradley has hardly played. I'd like to see a match with the 3 dps and Cheyrou all actually on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think RN was fired after a lack luster display on a saturday and then had a rant post game with a 500 club...hmmm sounds about the same to me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    I don't know of any other team in the league that lets players run into the box with little to no defensive pressure being put on them the way this team does.
    Orlando

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are a playoff team. Top two finish is nice but not that important. Could argue the bye might actually hurt you. Being hot in September is important.

We are not playing well. Vanney has about 3-5 games to work with, to get a scheme/combination together.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-09-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I think RN was fired after a lack luster display on a saturday and then had a rant post game with a 500 club...hmmm sounds about the same to me.
    If I were to venture a guess, vanney's job is 99.9% safe this year but next year is more up for debate. I'm not sure if ownership is content with just a playoff appearance. It has to look like something we can build on and be a relatively strong finish.

Anyway, this is background noise for now. I think it's fair to say the right time to assess management is the offseason.