Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did not watch it.

Apparently Altidore replaced Sam Cronin in the 77th minute. Seems vaguely appropriate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aajking View Post
    Again, sorry. This game was beyond pointless.
    Agreed. They should just wrap their heads around the fact an ASG for soccer isn't a great concept. Although, if this whole exercise proves anything it's the majority of fans stick to their one team and don't see much value in following the league as a whole.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was so excited I actually watched the game highlights.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for all we go off on it if they changed format to E v W All Stars the attendance would be dire.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane had an interesting idea in his Blog - move the ASG to the first game of the season. Might be a good jumping off point to start the season and avoid some fixture fatigue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mid season all star games at least have a semblance of rewarding current quality. And people are more likely to watch something in late July.

Having one at the beginning of the season would be even more pointless. March Madness alone would take most interest out of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Mid season all star games at least have a semblance of rewarding current quality.
    Gerrard and Lampard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just scrap it all together. The All Star game has no place in a football league. As mentioned, East vs West probably wouldn't draw very well, and there are plenty of big name European clubs touring North America every year to play friendlies against MLS clubs now on a regular basis. The current All Star game format seems like overkill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what happened minute 1 to 90, it wasn't a bad game. But as an event, it was ridiculous. More pompous than usual due to 20th anniversary. However, like a lot of questionable things in MLS, we're stuck with the ASG at least through Garber's tenure, possibly longer. I'm marginally more in favor of East vs West in terms of sensibility but as Redcoat says, may not be much of a draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what if it included challenges. free kicks, volleys, tricks, speed with ball at feet

also have a monkey out there smoking a cigarette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May as well go all out north American three ring circus with the all star game. People actually enjoy the HR derby, dunk contest and occasionally hardest shot competitions.

My preference would be to not have the thing but if it's held you may as well turn it into a gong show and pick a few of the fifa skills and set them up. Hell a fk comp between pirlo, gio, kaka etc may actually be slightly entertaining.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I forgot all about this until I saw this thread.... and I missed nothing.

What they ought to do is the old NHL styles : have last years MLS Champs play a team made up of league all stars (before the season starts, as someone mentioned).
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    I forgot all about this until I saw this thread.... and I missed nothing.

What they ought to do is the old NHL styles : have last years MLS Champs play a team made up of league all stars (before the season starts, as someone mentioned).
    It was a good game. Several Mls players looked v good indeed. Kane is still a monster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally really enjoy watching the All Star Game. Sure it's over hyped like hell and is played at a pretty crappy time of the season. But it's also a lot of fun and I get the sense that the players have a lot of fun playing in it too. It's a celebration of the game in North America, we have to accept and embrace that we are not like the rest of the soccer playing world and I don't think we necessarily need to be either.
    How cool is it to see the likes of Kaka and Villa playing together and having fun doing so. I think it's a nice break for the players and I think the host city and its fans get a lot out of it.
    The All star game I went to see at BMO was thoroughly enjoyable and seeing our own boys Dero and Jimmy B lining up alongside the likes of Beckham and Blanco was pretty cool.
    Each to their own though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaka winning MVP was a joke. The guy scores on a PK. Rimando easily deserved it, made 2 huge saves.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have a community shield type game preseason like they have in UK.The precusor to the new season.
    Keep the season as distraction free as possible, we already have enough distractions with big name (and in some cases not even big name Euro) clubs playing friendlies here in the summer, no need to add to it by flying DP's to play 45 mins in this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Kaka winning MVP was a joke. The guy scores on a PK. Rimando easily deserved it, made 2 huge saves.
    Ironically the handball on Chadli was falling right on Kaka's head
    And he had the assist on the game winner.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems as if I'm one of the very few who doesn't mind the ASG. I think there are many other issues with the league that need to be addressed before the ASG.
    i.e. FRIENDLIES!

However I watched the game, and in the first half the All-stars were absolutely bossing Tottenham (I know they're shit but w.e). Even if Tottenham was in mid-season form, the AST would beat them every time considering these guys had one practice together.

With Dempsey, Villa, Kaka, and Zardes it was by farrrrr the best quality ball I have seen the MLS produce. Just the IQ alone from these players showed the difference than regular season play with the intricate passing in tight spaces, I felt it was embarrassing to the shite the audacity some of the players had. Dempsey did a rabonna through ball to Villa in midfield, Kaka was toying with Bentaleb with his foot work, Zardes & BEASLEY were having a go at Kyle Walker to the point where he wasn't being friendly anymore.

And this was absent Gio, Bradley, Martins, Pirlo ect....

My only thoughts from this game was never pick a club like Tottenham again, because now the league has the quality to challenge some of the top European clubs, and it doesn't make any sense to bring a shit club like Tottenham, who aren't even champions league calibre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given Garber's comments, as well as those of other people, fair bet next season's ASG will be East vs West.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Given Garber's comments, as well as those of other people, fair bet next season's ASG will be East vs West.
    I think that's a mistake, MLS is in a unique position where they can host a brand name team to help market the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    It seems as if I'm one of the very few who doesn't mind the ASG. I think there are many other issues with the league that need to be addressed before the ASG.
    i.e. FRIENDLIES!

However I watched the game, and in the first half the All-stars were absolutely bossing Tottenham (I know they're shit but w.e). Even if Tottenham was in mid-season form, the AST would beat them every time considering these guys had one practice together.

With Dempsey, Villa, Kaka, and Zardes it was by farrrrr the best quality ball I have seen the MLS produce. Just the IQ alone from these players showed the difference than regular season play with the intricate passing in tight spaces, I felt it was embarrassing to the shite the audacity some of the players had. Dempsey did a rabonna through ball to Villa in midfield, Kaka was toying with Bentaleb with his foot work, Zardes & BEASLEY were having a go at Kyle Walker to the point where he wasn't being friendly anymore.

And this was absent Gio, Bradley, Martins, Pirlo ect....

My only thoughts from this game was never pick a club like Tottenham again, because now the league has the quality to challenge some of the top European clubs, and it doesn't make any sense to bring a shit club like Tottenham, who aren't even champions league calibre.
    Like others have said I have zero issues with the idea of an MLS VS Top Foreign team, as a football fan I want to watch a good game and in football friendlies can still be quite entertaining, who wouldn't want to watch some of legends of the game have fun against a top team.

In general I think an EPL, La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga all-star game would be a major success. People want to watch the top players, of course in EU they have the champions league, but trust me there is an appetite for a showcase game everywhere.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-31-2015 at 11:34 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I think an East vs. West at BMO next season would be a success. There are maybe 5 markets that would get such an event and go in numbers- Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Toronto & Orlando. Build out from those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next year's ASG game is set for San Jose at Avaya Stadium. I do want to check that place out, certainly is convenient to the airport (literally next to it).