Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A New Game Changing Roster Rule?

Yesterday I noticed that on the LA Galaxy's roster they had two players who are signed to their "Los Dos"(USL) team feature against Houston. So I looked at the roster rules, and didn't find anything stating how this is possible, but I did find this....

An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a club outside the League (subject to that club’s Federation’s transfer window), and subject to the consent of the player. Upon loaning a player, Clubs will receive roster relief and budget space, subject to the terms of the loan.

Previously if a player was sent out on loan, the player and his salary would still count towards the salary cap and roster.

Then I went on the Galaxy's website to find this...

Yes those guys don't make 120k, but I don't get how this works under the salary cap. Has the salary cap become a game day thing?

What this means for TFC is that we can sign better talented international players who may not be ready to play week in and week out in the MLS, but excel in the USL while having sporadic call ups.
    What this also means is that TFC would not have had to sign Cimonin to a MLS contract.

I think this rule can revolutionize the league, in terms of finding the next best talent. But I still don't understand or know the actual rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

La circumventing the salary cap!!?? They would never do that "/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to have heard something about this by now from some MLS honcho.

We basically burned a roster spot on Simonin because of injuries when if the rules switched for teams not named LA, we would still have had a spot left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many roster spots do the Galaxy have open? if roster spots are open, I don't see why they (or we) wouldn't be able to loan up players from their reserve team. It's actually probably just a smarter way of doing the same thing we're doing. Keeps roster spots open while being able to call on whatever players you want from the USL team for game days.

I'm surpised we didn't think of this first, honestly. Bez being the capologist and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great find! Another example of the opaque rules in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we burnt the Simonin roster spot for nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much, yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Pretty much, yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be fair, I don't think any of the other teams with USL reserve sides thought of doing it either. I think it's just a case of good thinking by the Galaxy FO. Expect everyone else to follow suit now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez had to exploit the 28 player loophole by loaning Aparicio down for the season. I would be incredibly surprised if he did not weigh the option of bringing someone up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Bez had to exploit the 28 player loophole by loaning Aparicio down for the season. I would be incredibly surprised if he did not weigh the option of bringing someone up.
    well it's not something that has to happen anywhere else in football. I hadn't thought about it as a possibility. now we know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    to be fair, I don't think any of the other teams with USL reserve sides thought of doing it either. I think it's just a case of good thinking by the Galaxy FO. Expect everyone else to follow suit now.
    I thought we looked into it earlier in the year during those injuries & the Simonin signing and were forced to sign him if we wanted him to play.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's probably a max on the number of times you can call a player up before they count against your cap.

Just giving talented youth players some experience, and providing cover during international games / injuries.

This strikes me as acceptable.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 07-27-2015 at 04:15 PM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further diggings my understanding is that the reason why this was possible for LA was because at the time of the loan of the two USL players, the MLS team had two players (Oscar Sorto and Jack McBean) on loan to LA2 (the latter being that 1 season long loan to USL with no recall i.e. Aparacio), so there were two open roster spots for the loan of Lassiter and Romney from LA2 to LA1. Since these are "Supplemental Roster" players they are in slots 21-28 which don't count towards the salary cap.

So lets take a stab at those 8 players:

1. Lovitz
    2. Hamilton (on loan to TFC II)
    3. Manella (on loan to TFC II)
    4. Chapman
    5. Roberts (on loan to TFC II)
    6. Bono (on loan to TFC II)
    7. Hagglund
    8. Cimonin
    9. Aparacio (on season loan to TFC II)

Right now TFC is operating off a 24 man roster (23 with Bloom out for the season), leaving 4-5 potential call ups from TFC II.
    Here's a few players I would like to see how they would do with the likes of Bradley, Gio, Cheyrou, Perquis around them (in order):

1. Babouli (RW)
    2. Charpie (RB)
    3. Kaye (LM/LB)
    4. Thomas (CB) he would never get this chance with the 6 CB's we have now.

I would've put Edwards (LW/RW) at number 2. easily, but it seems as if the rule is only applicable to those who have pro contracts.