Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laurent Ciman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Laurent Ciman

News is leaking out that Impact isn't paying for his autistic daughter's health care, which was promised to him, and the reason why he took a pay cut to play for mtl. Impact fans are upset, his wife is upset, and just a bad over all situation.

Whats up Saputo?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saputo cheese. Fuckin' sleeze.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel bad for the family. Unreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is just disgraceful.. but what did we really expect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having worked with people who have autism for a couple years, this is deplorable if true. Are they that cash-starved that they have to renege on a deal that greatly affects not only their family, but that of their child? If this story proves to be true, I hope players who are considering going to Montreal are made aware of what kind of organization they are coming to, not that many others are that much better, but this just rings as inhumane. On a side note, any chance of Toronto gaining the services of Ciman?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disgusting by Saputo I hope he is vilified for this lie. However how in the hell did he not have this written into his contract

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Disgusting by Saputo I hope he is vilified for this lie. However how in the hell did he not have this written into his contract
    The article says it is... And even if it's not, why would you (as the owner of 2 clubs and millions of dollars) lie about something like that? I'm speechless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The article says it is... And even if it's not, why would you (as the owner of 2 clubs and millions of dollars) lie about something like that? I'm speechless.
    If its in the agreement than how in the hell is Saputo getting away with this its been months now

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saputo and the Imapct dropping the ball big time on this one PR wise.

2 days ago, Impact gets lots of great touchy feely vibes cause of Goal of the Week Candidate goes and gets a hug from his kid right after he scores.

48 hours later - Impact accused of acting worse then Scrooge.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-15-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you needed another reason to dislike that team... That's one thing you can't bash MLSE for, is their charitable work. If it was any form of agreement between them, regardless of contract, it's just bad form and PR. Would be nice if the english media picked up on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Family optics aside, us swooping for Ciman would be such an MLSE move. Right after getting rid of Caldwell with a cloaked buyout we'd sign a replacement who's primary payment (health care) is also outside of the salary cap.

Make it happen, Bez!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Family optics aside, us swooping for Ciman would be such an MLSE move. Right after getting rid of Caldwell with a cloaked buyout we'd sign a replacement who's primary payment (health care) is also outside of the salary cap.

Make it happen, Bez!
    They should do it for both professional and humanitarian reasons. He's a boss defender, and MLSE isn't going to give a shit about $3500 a week.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if it is within the cap - what's 50k a year to keep your star CB happy? The only reason MTl is where they are and how far they got in CONCACAF is because of that guy.

And I don't care that mtl is our rival or us scooping up Ciman, I just wish all the best to him and his family.

What would make me happy, is seeing a news article that says "MLSE and TFC donate 50k to the Ciman family after Impact fail to keep their promise"

edit: just noticed that that its 3-4000 a week. 200K a year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's best to reserve judgment for a bit here. This is a contractual matter. Let the facts come out.

This could be illuminating in terms of what teams are doing to end run the cap.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think it's best to reserve judgment for a bit here. This is a contractual matter. Let the facts come out.
    Judgement reserved; however,
    Its well known that he went there for his daughter. He said so himself in the days after he signed. He also took a pay cut because he was promised world class health care by the club.
    Cant see the biggest player for the club (Piatti can suck it) or his wife lashing on if there was no grounds for it.

Is he the captain there?

PS: People are sayin Soumare is asking to be traded too. CB trouble there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let the facts come out first.

For all we know this could be MLS saying Montreal is circumventing the cap by providing benefits outside of his contract.

As disgusting it seems, his kid getting healthcare is setting a precedent that MLS might not want, bonuses outside of contracts is a slippery slope, especially for the bigger clubs in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They should do it for both professional and humanitarian reasons. He's a boss defender, and MLSE isn't going to give a shit about $3500 a week.
    That's significant when it comes to a capped league, MLS might want Montreal to have that factored in.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-15-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Let the facts come out first.

For all we know this could be MLS saying Montreal is circumventing the cap by providing benefits outside of his contract.

As disgusting it seems, his kid getting healthcare is setting a precedent that MLS might not want, bonuses outside of contracts is a slippery slope, especially for the bigger clubs in the league.

That's significant when it comes to a capped league, MLS might want Montreal to have that factored in.
    If that's the case, than MTL FO is even more stupid. Would you not check something like that with the league before promising it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a league with a lot of under the water iceberg sized crap going on, the idea of MLS giving two pieces of doggie doo about money paid to give a kid a chance just bugs the doggie doo out of me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll copy and paste this here, cuz I think it says a lot (if it's cap related).

@djipitoo: @Kam_Ivan Cap implications would mean empty promises or plain imcompetance. Either way, it's bad and familly made big sacrifices to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If that's the case, than MTL FO is even more stupid. Would you not check something like that with the league before promising it?
    I'm not sure why MLS would approve his contract to begin with, they would have said they need that healthcare cost added to the cap hit. I don't know, a lot things with MLS is a mystery, I'm not so sure Saputo is that much of an idiot to not see how this looks bad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm not sure why MLS would approve his contract to begin with, they would have said they need that healthcare cost added to the cap hit. I don't know, a lot things with MLS is a mystery, I'm not so sure Saputo is that much of an idiot to not see how this looks bad.
    1. I have a feeling Saputo was unaware of this until today.
    2. I don't think MLS is blocking it either - as Dim said, this league makes up rules every other day, they wouldn't block a child's healthcare

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what Garber would say if somebody brought in Ciman and then said they were using their TMA to pay for that kids care?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not in the contract.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/so...t-against-club

Richard Legendre, the Impact’s executive VP, told the Montreal Gazette that there was never a written agreement to provide public health care for the Ciman family.
    He said the club offered to “do our best to help them, to support them to find the necessary resources within the education and health systems.
    “It wasn’t as if it was a very precise deal, it was an expression of (support),” said Legendre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need a fuller picture here. When he came over, he was very up front about why he made the move. Because these things are so damn private it's hard to know if this is broken telephone or someone going back on their word.

As someone mentioned above, it might be that MLS doesn't allow for these soft benefits (as they circumvent the cap). Regardless, this is a ready made PR distaster and I'd suggest they find a way to solve this amicably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a lot I'm starting to not like about this league... the shady backroom dealings to mess with the rules, the way referees and the Disciplinary Committee are treating TFC, the shitshow that is watching a game being played on the field at Yankee Stadium that's about as wide as a pinball machine... but this is just next level ridiculous. I would be infuriated if I was Ciman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work as a mental health social worker. Public coverage for people with developmental issues is really really bad in Ontario. It takes a year on a waitlist just to get approved for Developmental Services Ontario funding ... and I have had two of my clients with dual diagnoses rejected. They would have to go private.

And regarding the comment about Sick Kids, it's not hospital care that is needed, it's schooling, counselling (both family and individual), and psws that are needed - all of which are exorbitant. It's really atrocious, especially if you're stuck in the gap between the developmental and mental health fields as many of the individuals I work with are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is really missing the mark here

great chance to set up a fund for players that have chldren with special needs. A fund that can be supported by the MLS, the teams, and the supporters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either Montreal committed to pay Ciman $200K/year for this, or they didn't. Either it counts against the cap, or it doesn't. The autism part is kind of irrelevant - it would be the same issue if they promised him a Ferrari. Except nobody would feel sorry for Ciman then.

This may in the end look just like Dero's 2009 "handshake" from Mo on becoming a DP. I felt no sympathy for Dero, he was from here, knew the league....

My instinct, based on what little we know know, is to blame all of (i) the player, (ii) the player's agent, (iii) Montreal for being weasels, and (iv) importantly, the league, equally. The league has a moral obligation to protect players who don't get the full picture for cultural/language reasons, and move their families based on misunderstandings or handshakes. It's also very bad for the brand.

I still don't get how Ciman moved his family on a handshake. We really need to reserve final judgment until we understand that piece better. If the league didn't know about a meaningful agreement to provide benefits on the side, it's a clear cap violation, and Montreal should lose real allocation dollars and Saputo should be fined a massive amount of money, at least $1M.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-16-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel bad for the player and his family, but no team should be paying out-of-MLS-contract money for anything - health care or other "non contract benefits" to any player. It just makes a mockery of the salary cap if clubs can pay other expenses to lower their MLS salary.