Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I ask this for better transparency all around - What do you see happening to restore your pre-2015 experience?

-Security either banning fan flags altogether
    -Security enforcing proper flag etiquette

The first ruins it for everyone, the second is an incredible ask that no security team would participate in. It would require security having to know the etiquette and then know what's happening behind them. That's not why they are there.

-other???
    The answer is that people are human and they usually realise that they are ruining something for other people above and beyond their self-involved act. Like when you go to a concert and somebody puts their girlfriend/child on their shoulders for a vast period of time and then the people behind them can't see anything. That person usually gets the message that the people behind can't see (or not, and then some irate person throws a bottle of something-gross at their head - we've all been to "that" concert when "that" happen!

I realise 100% that 114 is a supporters section - I realise that people can bring in banners/flags/drums etc. I've been a SSH since day 1 in the south end so I've seen it all in the south end. But the line is drawn at where you can't see vast areas of the football pitch for vast parts of the game. If the thoery that "you should expect to see flags" is true to the point where you can't see the play, then I will bring in a 6 foot tall- 6 foot wide banner to the next game and hold it up continuously throughout the game - however I'm almost certain I will be asked to lower it by the 5th minute of play when the 100 people behind me can't see anything at all.

There is a massive different "imo" between expecting to see some flags/banners during some parts of the game and being behind a flag so large that you can't see anything on the field for vast portions of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has derailed. Someone should start a new supporters section topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see a lot of tears about flags on here....

boohoo

https://youtu.be/_gC9PaALgEI

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    I see a lot of tears about flags on here....

boohoo

https://youtu.be/_gC9PaALgEI
    Two things

a) that's a video of a a display during a warmup

b) Its already been mentioned that some of the people not being able to see are in accessible seating

i.e. Its a bit more complex then a lot of people are thinking.

And defintately time to get
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-20-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Addressing this yet again...

That section is going to be that section. They are allowed to do it so they will. The fact one has tickets there is unfortunate if one doesn't share that mentality but one is always welcome to squeeze in where flag waving is done at particular points. 112 took a long time to get that way with a lot of convos that started like this one.
    With even bigger and bigger flags arriving in 114, something is going to break.

The theory seems to be that they are allowed to do it, so they will do it.

I fear that if they don't start respecting their fellow supporters, that ultimately the rules will change. I fear we risk seeing flags or more banned - at least anything bigger than a football rattle.

The lack of restraint or a willingness to work with others is troubling. And I fear that it will tar us all. It would be nice if this could be worked out without complaining to the front office ... I just don't think that helps any of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/FHywRb9megA?t=1m54s

Having amazing support is definitely something I want this club to have. Waving flags is a part of that and if you're going to be sitting in the supporter section you should know that that is part of what occurs........... HOWEVER.. if you look at the above, during the match, the supporter section doesnt' use their props as they are also fans who want to watch the match.

Respect goes both ways.. if you want the entire south end to be a "hardcore" supporter culture you must acknowledge that people aren't just paying to see your flag.. they do want to watch the match as well.

Everyone should really work together and create something special here. It can be done, we can once again be the stadium to see in MLS, but it won't happen with butting heads.
    Last edited by barticusz; 07-20-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

HOWEVER.. if you look at the above, during the match, the supporter section doesnt' use their props as they are also fans who want to watch the match.
    Flags being waved for 90 minutes here http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pz7xv

This is standard in supporters section everywhere else in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

Having amazing support is definitely something I want this club to have. Waving flags is a part of that and if you're going to be sitting in the supporter section you should know that that is part of what occurs........... HOWEVER.. if you look at the above, during the match, the supporter section doesnt' use their props as they are also fans who want to watch the match.

Respect goes both ways.. if you want the entire south end to be a "hardcore" supporter culture you must acknowledge that people aren't just paying to see your flag.. they do want to watch the match as well.

Everyone should really work together and create something special here. It can be done, we can once again be the stadium to see in MLS, but it won't happen with butting heads.
    Another reason why General Admission is a good idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're not adding to the atmosphere - or at minimum neutral - you're taking away from it. Who is impressed by a flag flying on a 20' pole throughout the game? People on TV? Congrats, you're getting your hardcoreness across to the couple thousand that bother to tune in and aiding the puckheads who love to say the only reason we sing and chant and wave flags is because nothing is happening on the field. Be proud. But if you can't recognize that the people that are behind you in your section aren't going to find that endearing, you're no threat for MENSA and the atmosphere in your section will turn to nothing.

Love when I see the guys doing it staring up at their erect flags with the game 10' away. Maybe they're compensating for something?
    Last edited by Mango Kid; 07-20-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mind the flegs, but I was in section 112. That section is not what it used to be..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few of us were at the front of 114 since day 1. Got annoyed when they moved in and we couldn't watch the game, or missed important plays so we moved and haven't looked back. I get the atmosphere claim but the disrespect of fellow supporters is unnecessary.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen, Dom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have a specific vision of the kind of support they want to bring to the stadium and this is it. For those of you in 114 and not wanting that atmosphere it may suck but you have a couple choices: learn to love it, or contact your rep and see if you can watch the game from another part of the stadium. It may seam like that's a rude comment from me since you may have been in the section first but its the reality of the situation.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    I didn't mind the flegs, but I was in section 112. That section is not what it used to be..
    Perhaps, but look on the bright side. You can still use the RPB forums and drink at Shoeless to your heart's content! It's win-win for you!

You get to benefit from the various things the group offers, but can still distance yourself from it.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 07-20-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Perhaps, but look on the bright side. You can still use the RPB forums and drink at Shoeless to your heart's content! It's win-win for you!

You get to benefit from the various things the group offers, but can still distance yourself from it.
    The guys with the flags are U-Sector no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    This is standard in supporters section everywhere else in the world.
    As someone who is season ticket holder for a English club and go to the majority of their away matches, I can tell you that statement is false. I rarely ever see flag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    As someone who is season ticket holder for a English club and go to the majority of their away matches, I can tell you that statement is false. I rarely ever see flag.
    Liverpool?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liverpool?

During the run of play though?

Only place I've seen flags up during the run of play was Celtic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    During the run of play though?
    True.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True.
    Then again England isn't an example. There support is sit down and possibly sing sometimes lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all, I think some may be confused about the Belfasts. The gentleman in this thread isn't me. Just wanted to clear that up for his benefit.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    Hey all, I think some may be confused about the Belfasts. The gentleman in this thread isn't me. Just wanted to clear that up for his benefit.
    Well that's going to get confusing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree, Pint. Been there since Day 1 and have come to know the people in the rows around me quite well, and why should I or we change for some knobhead scenester who is new? When the two gents in 114 went down to ask the flags be down for the run of play, they were widely applauded, by 115 as well. Think that message got through a lot louder than any bullhorn could've delivered it. We're there to SEE the game so we can support it accordingly. Not bring some shallow "look at me" bullshit.

The options are these: they reign it in to the level of smart people or I'm not renewing. That's the message my ticket rep will be getting. Wouldn't move to sit on the bench for free to accommodate the ignorant.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    They have a specific vision of the kind of support they want to bring to the stadium and this is it. For those of you in 114 and not wanting that atmosphere it may suck but you have a couple choices: learn to love it, or contact your rep and see if you can watch the game from another part of the stadium. It may seam like that's a rude comment from me since you may have been in the section first but its the reality of the situation.
    Looks to me like some are taking option 3 that you didn't mention. Confront the group. That is also the reality of the situation. Some will move for sure but some will stay and fight for the section. Going to be interesting to see how it develops. I have been in that section for many years and know people around me. Won't get those friends around me again if I moved. I also can't afford to be in another section without dropping the extra pair I have for my kids and I don't want to do that. I am sure that is why some will stay but don't want to have to suck it up and like it. Something will happen at one of the games and TFC will step in. I guarantee it. I just have to wait it out.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    I thought I was seeing double. Then I thought.... It's 9:30am.... still too early to have tied one on.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I thought I was seeing double. Then I thought.... It's 9:30am.... still too early to have tied one on.
    its never too early

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's beer'o'clock somewhere, that's good enough for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Kid View Post
    Disagree, Pint. Been there since Day 1 and have come to know the people in the rows around me quite well, and why should I or we change for some knobhead scenester who is new? When the two gents in 114 went down to ask the flags be down for the run of play, they were widely applauded, by 115 as well. Think that message got through a lot louder than any bullhorn could've delivered it. We're there to SEE the game so we can support it accordingly. Not bring some shallow "look at me" bullshit.
    Well said Mango. If I moved to somewhere else in the stadium it would take me 8 more seasons to get where I am today - I know all the people around me and they are part of my game day experience. I don't think I should give up 8 years worth of experience and fight for what I think is right and enjoy my game day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to like 5 Dortmund matches every year. Standing in the yellow wall. Honestly there isn't a whole log of flag waving going on while the game is being played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Then again England isn't an example. There support is sit down and possibly sing sometimes lol
    I've never had to sit down at a football match in England.