Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That's assuming that MLS is the only opportunity. Even with our inept academy, how many players have signed with development squads overseas? What are the numbers on such signings for other MLS academies?
    I don't know, but lets not suggest that MLS is the only possible option.

That and ability for parents to observe is really a North American thing - not certain it affects success or not but the anecdotal evidence from parent involvement in youth development across sports in North America is a certain % of parents will inhibit development and cause issues for the rest of the team beyond their own children.
    Well if Euro opportunities are sought, then a parent is also likely looking at a number of the SAAC options out there as well. Many with a good track record and association with International clubs (eg ANB futbol, Sigma, etc). These SAAC members also have strong NCAA scholarship programs. That's what TFCA has to be better than.

As a former coach, I completely agree with you about parent involvement. I would have loved to have a couple of them behind glass for the season.

That said, not everyone is a headcase. And for those parents, I think it is a tough set up.

I can tell you personally that driving an hour, to drop my kid off, and sit in the cafeteria with nothing to look at but empty buffet stands gets a little tough to take 4 days a week. No view of the pitch whatsoever. You have no way to assess the quality of training, determine if the coach interaction is positive or on a very simple level just watch your kid develop and feel proud. I didn't think it would be a big deal but for me personally it was.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough Thanks for the insight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    What do you make of the fact that they were a part of the OPDL last year but pulled out for this season? This is the OSA's main development thrust for U13 on up.
    You can ask Danny Dichio but I'll speculate. There seems to be an emphasis this year on challenging players instead of providing league play for it's own sake and therefore results don't seem to matter. My thinking is that the OPDL wouldn't have provided a decent level of play assuming we have a number of the opposing teams top prospects.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Read up on why ... blah blah blah... End of story.
    LOL - I point out that there's no need to be so patronizing, and in your reply you come off as a condescending douche bag. Bravo!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    You can ask Danny Dichio but I'll speculate. There seems to be an emphasis this year on challenging players instead of providing league play for it's own sake and therefore results don't seem to matter. My thinking is that the OPDL wouldn't have provided a decent level of play assuming we have a number of the opposing teams top prospects.
    There are a lot of challenges with the OPDL namely around the franchise locations, travel and cost to play outside of TFCA (which is free)

TFCA actually put their U12s in with the U13s last year. And the U12s didn't do so well. Though they didn't keep standings, parents and players knew (and a rogue website kept standings anyways). I think their kids progressed but if you are a standings guy (see above and shoot WeststandGeoff a PM) the politics don't look so good.

They aren't in it this year. OSA seemed to be directing kids to their Regional ID program. Some clubs did send players to TFCA but they would then lose out on 3-5k per year fees so I am not sure what the motivation would be to overly promote sending players along. Not sure if that was part of the reason or there was concern about who is actually at the top of the development pyramid.

Either or, youth soccer is ripe with politics. With London and Vancouver now working together, the division within the ranks seems alive and well.
    Last edited by Pookie; 06-30-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son is playing with one of the OPDL clubs in Ottawa, and last year's commute for games was pretty punishing. This year is a little better. as they only go to Toronto about 6 times (one overnight), with another 3 times to Kingston. They're keeping score starting with the U14s this year while the U13s are keeping theirs up on the parent-run website. A number of teams lost players to other teams and I know of one team that lost two players to Europe. There seems to be a trend towards choosing larger skilled players, which worries me as the smaller players are getting pushed out soley because they can still be muscled off the ball.

As for SAAC, I noticed a newsletter on their website that vaguely explained why they wouldn't be working with the OSA within the OPDL. Politics indeed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFCA u14's took part in the USSDA winter showcase, and the championship weekend last weekend. I'd personally like to see TFC in the USSDA full time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    You can ask Danny Dichio but I'll speculate. ...
    i would hazard a guess DD probably worked closely with Guyot on his coaching training with the FFF through the MLS cooperative learning a couple years back. DD did a summary lecture on the experience during the National Canadian Soccer Coaching conference.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    My son is playing with one of the OPDL clubs in Ottawa, and last year's commute for games was pretty punishing. This year is a little better. as they only go to Toronto about 6 times (one overnight), with another 3 times to Kingston. They're keeping score starting with the U14s this year while the U13s are keeping theirs up on the parent-run website. A number of teams lost players to other teams and I know of one team that lost two players to Europe. There seems to be a trend towards choosing larger skilled players, which worries me as the smaller players are getting pushed out soley because they can still be muscled off the ball.

As for SAAC, I noticed a newsletter on their website that vaguely explained why they wouldn't be working with the OSA within the OPDL. Politics indeed...
    We were in the West so you win on the driving front. But for a league that supposedly was about de-emphasizing results/standings and focusing on development… the requisite driving hours for a game made very little sense to me.

No longer dealing with the OPDL in our home. My car is thankful.

Hopefully, it evolves into the model that it strives to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The driving isn't worth it. If I had a kid in soccer in T.O I'd definitely be going to Sigma, if my kid had talent and motivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look all I know that it has been many years now that soccer participation in Ontario and Canada has been almost equal to and in some cases more than hockey. I mean the numbers have been there since the early 80's and where has that gotten us? How many world class players has Canada produced? Moreover, a better system was needed in not only producing skilled talented players but also identifying talent, too many talented players were never scouted or recognized there was no proper system in finding these players. I'm hoping things are changing, however, the only thing that concerns me is the rising costs of playing for these academies and even the regular youth clubs. I understand that even though TFCA is free if someone is not close to the Toronto area the travel costs become a factor, but at least for talented kids within Toronto who play in the TFCA setup there is no registration fee, so it's a start, but if you live very far I realize it can get costly commuting back and forth. Regardless I would still take being a youth soccer player today in Ontario than being one say 25 years ago when there was absolutely nothing it terms of a proper youth soccer setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    The driving isn't worth it. If I had a kid in soccer in T.O I'd definitely be going to Sigma, if my kid had talent and motivation.
    Pretty much anybody outside the GTA does not have that option. The Ottawa Fury have narrowed their Academy down to a Junior and Senior Academy team playing against Quebec teams. I suppose Ottawa players have the option of playing on the other side of the river in Gatineau with some clubs over there, and some prefer the Quebec style of play. There have been some complaints that some OPDL teams are still playing dump-and-chase compared to possession-based soccer. And development outside of Ottawa and the GTA are poorly served by the OSA. I have a feeling that it's going to be clubs around TFC, London Whitecaps, and Ottawa Fury that are going to develop the next generation of players.