Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair to Hagglund, he hasn't played beside Perquis and behind Cheyrou since we switched to the diamond. He had a bad run of games while our midfield still had no idea how to track runners. If given games again under the current set up, I think we'd see him closer to full form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ... Watching Zavaleta play thus far has been eye opening in terms of watching a young player who can read the game well vs one that has a lot to learn....
    I wonder if his mini-stint in striker position gave him some insight into reading the game better than Hagglund? I mean, generally, in life, it's beneficial to have experience in the other person's shoes...so, asking if any of you have experienced returning to a position after playing the opposite part and if you felt you did better because of it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
    I wonder if his mini-stint in striker position gave him some insight into reading the game better than Hagglund? I mean, generally, in life, it's beneficial to have experience in the other person's shoes...so, asking if any of you have experienced returning to a position after playing the opposite part and if you felt you did better because of it?
    Hagglund played forward in college, pretty decent at that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zaveletta by all accounts has the Vanney cerebral defender gene in spades. (no, not the Dad jeans)

Part of me is thinking what a central pairing of him and Simonin would look like in 4 years, as Simonin is a younger version of Perquis, without the Polish/French temper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ the development possibilities for TFC at the defender position look really good long term. The guy at the academy looks strong as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skylar Thomas, Mark Anthony Kaye and Adam Bouchard have been very good. 3 clean sheets in a row now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Hagglund played forward in college, pretty decent at that.
    Ah, didn't realise that. I thought he was in F position for a only a very short time in his Freshman year and then got moved progressively backwards into mid, and then finally a CD by end of his Freshman year.

Zavaleta I thought had at least 2 full seasons as Forward with a goal every 2 appearances average by the end of college. IIRC he was drafted as F by Sounders, moved temporarily to CD, and then back to F again.

My line of thought relates to how much (more) experience Z received in F than Hagglund did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Skylar Thomas, Mark Anthony Kaye and Adam Bouchard have been very good. 3 clean sheets in a row now.
    Remember watching Skylar Thomas at the TFC2 home opener at BMO. Kept wondering who the huuuuuge guy was at the back. At least, I think that was him. Soooo much taller than everyone else on the pitch that day, I thought. He looked fairly calm & comfortable to my untrained eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Zaveletta by all accounts has the Vanney cerebral defender gene in spades. (no, not the Dad jeans)
    So you wouldn't give any weight to opposite position experience in general? Or is this a unique gene case?
    Part of me is thinking what a central pairing of him and Simonin would look like in 4 years, as Simonin is a younger version of Perquis, without the Polish/French temper.
    Hahahaha every Polish-French person I know has similar temperament... well, maybe the women are a tad more mama bear'ish. Perfectly calm until you piss them off or try to take advantage of loved ones or someone "weaker'. Not sure what it is about that particular combo of nationalities, but awesome to have a friend like that who has your back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you wouldn't give any weight to opposite position experience in general? Or is this a unique gene case?
    Hahahaha every Polish-French person I know has similar temperament... well, maybe the women are a tad more mama bear'ish. Perfectly calm until you piss them off or try to take advantage of loved ones or someone "weaker'. Not sure what it is about that particular combo of nationalities, but awesome to have a friend like that who has your back
    I joked with my wife that our son would have a temper due to our nationalities.. boy was I right. There's a certain type of passion that is born into a french/polish connection, let me tell you haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember watching Skylar Thomas at the TFC2 home opener at BMO. Kept wondering who the huuuuuge guy was at the back. At least, I think that was him. Soooo much taller than everyone else on the pitch that day, I thought. He looked fairly calm & comfortable to my untrained eye.
    Yeah it was him, Bouchard is like 4 inches shorter. Hopefully some will step up to the senior team later this year or next.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 07-06-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It blows my mind that Zavaleta was a (successful) striker in college because every time he gets on the ball my breath shortens a little bit. Did he just score a lot of headers or something?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Hagglund has the potential to be good starting center back in the MLS.

Last edited by TorontoFC6fan; 07-06-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoFC6fan View Post

hahahahaha jackass lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, didn't realise that. I thought he was in F position for a only a very short time in his Freshman year and then got moved progressively backwards into mid, and then finally a CD by end of his Freshman year.

Zavaleta I thought had at least 2 full seasons as Forward with a goal every 2 appearances average by the end of college. IIRC he was drafted as F by Sounders, moved temporarily to CD, and then back to F again.

My line of thought relates to how much (more) experience Z received in F than Hagglund did.
    You're right, Hagglund started moving into defense earlier than I realized. I don't know anything about Zavaleta, wasn't really meaning to compare them, just saying that Hagglund also had some experience up front. I think it shows a bit, he has some ball skills that many pure US college defenders don't have.

Zavaleta has shown some great passing ability, including that perfect long pass to Seba, who set up Bradley for the 1st goal vs. Montreal on June 24th. But he's also had some complete brain farts, especially in the last few games. Still better passes than Hagglund though on average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hYzajHJyU

Love Perquis comments to Davidson.. "Do you think they played well or we played bad? It's the second one for me.."