Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Dempsey continues to act like he's too good for the North American game, is anyone surprised? American fans are eating this shit up as well... what a disgrace.
    one of the first things I noticed when he came over to MlS was the way he suddenly thought he was tough, was very noticable when we played them in opener last season.
    I watched this man play in the PL many times and seen him get booted by various tough defenders for 90 mins and he didn't say boo to them, now he's running around like Gattuso's and Roy Keane's lovechild lol.
    I'd say he'll prob get 4-6 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this kind of crap actually does make our league look mickey mouse. Well done, Dempsey. Idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's your precedent....

Blanco got a 6 game Open Cup ban for headbutting a referee in 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    Since it is a USOC game and not MLS, I don't see how the MLS can suspend him.

Not sure what they can do besides suspend for next year's cup.
    IIRC, Dero once got suspended by MLS for an incident that occured in a pre-season tournament.

Also, MLS is technically run under the organization of the USSF, so perhaps the two can be linked in that regard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You gotta know that if this was some dude playing for a USL team, he'd be banned from league games as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Hope Solo is currently starting for a USSF team in a World Cup, I can't fathom them actually sticking to the letter of the law with Dempsey. Their best attacking threat missing the Gold Cup over this? I would be absolutely shocked if he gets suspended, surely they will try to weasel their way out of this too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to say it but domestic assault does not mean as much to the USSF as does assaulting refs by ripping up their cards. Which is why there will be a fine and a ban (but only from USOC games).

And I don't think he's their best attacking threat anymore.

If he's still their captain, I lose what little respect for Klinssman I still have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

separately from the
    Dempsey stuff, Sigi was mad about the second goal because the player was offside and the ball was deflected by the defender. This is offside in the Premier League and in the Championship in the UK, but last year we lost a goal on a similar play deflected off a head. PRO said afterwards that it was a new interpretation from FIFA but that is clearly wrong. If they are interpreting the rules this way, we should take advantage of it and have strikers cherry pick and just hammer the ball right at defenders, trying for a deflection to a wide open man. Something to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Here's your precedent....

Blanco got a 6 game Open Cup ban for headbutting a referee in 2008

Lol, good call.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost in all this was where was that match played? The academy? Everything about it looked awful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad that in our TFC history we never had such a grade a c*** on our team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Lost in all this was where was that match played? The academy? Everything about it looked awful.
    Apparently the Sounders have this thing about playing USOC games there. A lot of wins in a row...etc. etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Main question is if a violent conduct suspension established during USOC (which a USSF competition) would apply to Gold Cup appearances.
    Maybe he thinks the gold cup is a waste his time.
    This way he has an excuse for not playing for Klinsmann and not going in the doghouse like donavan did.

second point: what the hell is he doing playing us open cup games ... where are the bench players/reserves
    Last edited by Qman; 06-17-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Maybe he thinks the gold cup is a waste his time.
    This way he has an excuse for not playing for Klinsmann and not going in the doghouse like donavan did.

second point: what the hell is he doing playing us open cup games ... where are the bench players/reserves
    They brought him on in the 71st minute when they were chasing the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not defending dempsy but this shouldnt be classified as assault. He should get the red plus a game. 3 max.

and the refs performance should be assessed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    not defending dempsy but this shouldnt be classified as assault. He should get the red plus a game. 3 max.

His actions can be argued to also be assault by the criminal code. If a citizen was to grab a police officers book, angrily throw it, then rip it up, they would get charged with assault. Remember, there doesn't have to be physical contact for a person to be guilt of assault.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hadn't realized the level of hate for Dempsey around here. I had no idea. Fantastic!

I don't feel it. He's just an ornery cuss. If he were British, he'd be loved for it.

I kind of like the book stunt. It's amusing.

I'd give him a game.

Anything that moves the needle on highlighting the hose job we get in MLS, because teams won't pay for more than amateur refs, is fine by me.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    His actions can be argued to also be assault by the criminal code. If a citizen was to grab a police officers book, angrily throw it, then rip it up, they would get charged with assault. Remember, there doesn't have to be physical contact for a person to be guilt of assault.
    Doesn't even need to be a Police officer.. If it was a Peace officer, it would be a different charge, it would be Section 270 of the criminal code.
    270. (1) Every one commits an offence who
    (a) assaults a public officer or peace officer engaged in the execution of his duty or a person acting in aid of such an officer;
    (b) assaults a person with intent to resist or prevent the lawful arrest or detention of himself or another person; or
    (c) assaults a person
    (i) who is engaged in the lawful execution of a process against lands or goods or in making a lawful distress or seizure, or
    (ii) with intent to rescue anything taken under lawful process, distress or seizure.

Great ole Section 265 of the criminal code....

• 265. (1) A person commits an assault when

• (a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;
      • (b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or
      • (c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's neither one of those things and a headbutt doesnt serve as precedent. It's a another person, non government. I'm thinking we can get him on theft under 5000 though with a good lawyer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hadn't realized the level of hate for Dempsey around here. I had no idea. Fantastic!

I don't feel it. He's just an ornery cuss. If he were British, he'd be loved for it.

I kind of like the book stunt. It's amusing.

I'd give him a game.

Anything that moves the needle on highlighting the hose job we get in MLS, because teams won't pay for more than amateur refs, is fine by me.
    He's a straight-up hardcore Texan, which you either love, or are irritated as shit about. He's from anywhere but Austin, if you know what I mean.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will not be suspended for anything else other than the US Open. Maybe a 1-2 ban.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was trying to think of a similar incident - the only one I can think of was when one of the players in the U20 World Cup at BMO snatched the red card out of the ref's hand after the ref showed it to his teammate, and then the guy got shown the red himself. I don't know if there was a further ban though.

Di Maria grabbed hold of the ref's shirt playing for Man Utd last season and only got a 1 match ban. I honestly don't see Dempsey getting more than just a normal ban for violent conduct (3 games?).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Radford's professional experience as a lead referee consisted of eight NASL matches and two more in the U.S. Open Cup over three seasons before Tuesday's game. In 11 matches, he's handed out 65 yellow cards and 13 reds."

Sounder's blog. Still, if accurate, wow.

He got bullied into the first sending off and got the second seconding off totally wrong. Ironically, Dempsey's may have been the only one he got right, but even then, he gave him and yellow then a red, which it should have been a straight red. And on top of that, he let them start the game with dark green and black jerseys before making them change at half.

No matter how much time Dempsey gets, it's gonna be even longer before this ref gets any meaningful time on the pitch again. Gantar-esque.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, the criminal & legal definitions of assault don't matter here. No police force or judge is going to get involved with this farce. What matters is the USSF definition, and under that it's clearly assault. No idea how heavily they will punish him though, and the ref's performance may well play a role in deciding that.

Again here's the definition under USSF policy:

Policy 531-9 Misconduct Toward Game Officials
    Section 3 (3)(b) Assault includes, but is not limited to the following acts committed upon a referee: hitting, kicking, punching, choking, spitting on, grabbing or bodily running into a referee; head butting; the act of kicking or throwing any object at a referee that could inflict injury; damaging the referee’s uniform or personal property, i.e. car, equipment, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Again, the criminal & legal definitions of assault don't matter here. No police force or judge is going to get involved with this farce. What matters is the USSF definition, and under that it's clearly assault. No idea how heavily they will punish him though, and the ref's performance may well play a role in deciding that.

Again here's the definition under USSF policy:
    Yeah, I wasn't debating the rule, (poor wording on my part perhaps) I was saying that Kicking and hitting and punching shouldn't earn the same punishment as the phrase you highlighted for this exact reason. Even taking a baseball bat to a refs car is a world away from tearing up a piece of paper with notes on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I wasn't debating the rule, (poor wording on my part perhaps) I was saying that Kicking and hitting and punching shouldn't earn the same punishment as the phrase you highlighted for this exact reason. Even taking a baseball bat to a refs car is a world away from tearing up a piece of paper with notes on it.
    its really league paper/property.

Not the refs personal property. They could argue it that way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great stuff. We need more shithousing like this in games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's a straight-up hardcore Texan, which you either love, or are irritated as shit about. He's from anywhere but Austin, if you know what I mean.
    That's hilarious, and I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per MLS (MLS asserted jurisdiction) - three game ban, and a fine.

I'm sure Twitter is going to asplode but I would have been surprised by much beyond this (rightly or wrongly).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martins out 3-6 weeks as well. Injury of course.