• Chris Konopka

90 81.08%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I'm still shocked that Frei lost his starting spot here. He is clearly a very good starting keeper at the MLS level.
    Bendik was playing well at that time (much better than now) and Frei was defiantly rusty coming back in from injury. I suspect there might have been some concern about points being dropped while Frei was getting his match fitness up.

But I think the bigger thing was Bendik was doing the job at that time for a fraction of the cost, and Frei was more a victim of his high salary than anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still shocked that Frei lost his starting spot here. He is clearly a very good starting keeper at the MLS level.
    Agreed. I miss Frei due to his (in my view) vastly superior athletic ability compared to Bendik, but alas its the way it goes it pro sports.

Everyone else is saying one bad game for Knopoka and go back to Bendik. Makes no sense at all what-so-ever.
    For everyone that's a Leaf fan on here how'd the circle of goalies work 2 years ago when each game you had no idea who was starting in net? Neither was able to get into a rhythm, although the team infront of them was pretty shitty so I'm not sure it really mattered lol
    Put simply a guy will have a bad game as its a long season. But the only way you go to Bendik now is if he plays like junk for 2 or 3 games and all are losses. If you go back and forth it shows you have zero confidence in who you have in net and the rest of the team will play differently.

Its Knopoka's team now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Bendik was playing well at that time (much better than now) and Frei was defiantly rusty coming back in from injury. I suspect there might have been some concern about points being dropped while Frei was getting his match fitness up.

But I think the bigger thing was Bendik was doing the job at that time for a fraction of the cost, and Frei was more a victim of his high salary than anything.
    Agreed. Frei only left really because of our crippled cap situation at the time and his cost compared to Bendik who was looking alright in net at the time. Since then Bendik seemed to get into too much of a comfort zone. Konopka really stepped it up more than I thought he could. He moves faster than Bendik which I like and he comes out for balls which most of the time work out (few scary moments) whereas Bendik would always be more of a stay at home kind of keeper which can lead to goals if you are afraid to come out and get the ball. Maybe because he knows he is slow. My wife never liked Bendik and always asked me why the hell is he still the no 1 keeper. She hasn't said anything about Konopka yet other than "what is with the beard". Just my two cents.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Konopka has been hot and his saves in NE earned us a tough road point. He's been the guy while we've been playing very well and winning, so I don't see a reason to break that up. He's not the best, but MLS keepers (and most players) tend to have holes in their game. That's why they're in MLS.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Konopka has been hot and his saves in NE earned us a tough road point. He's been the guy while we've been playing very well and winning, so I don't see a reason to break that up. He's not the best, but MLS keepers (and most players) tend to have holes in their game. That's why they're in MLS.
    Well said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Don't fix what aint broken. Konopka all the way. And it's not like Bendik ever really flourished he's a give away machine as well.
    Funny enough, Konopka's distribution is worse than Bendiks. Like 45% PS compared to 55%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my view Bendik is our #1, however I say keep Konopka starting till he slips up consistently. Maybe give Bendik a game when the schedule gets busy. If we keep winning and Konopka is between the pipes then why touch that. Regardless this will bring more competition to the position and if Konopka continues his form then look to ship Bendik off, even tho overall I prefer him.

I think the point that the team overall is playing better is important and honestly think Bendik would be giving us similar outings - he has kept us in games before when we had no business being in them. But again, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
    Last edited by pdubs; 06-11-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Konopka, because it is working, and I think he has the confidence to became really good. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik for me despite his poor start to the season. Konopka can be a real bombscare at times

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too pricey, used up too much of the cap/salary allowance.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Too pricey, used up too much of the cap/salary allowance.
    Tells you how much our cap space was screwed by short pants and Anselmi.

BTW, last year Bendik made $147K and Frei $150K.

I wouldn't put either of them in elite of the league status. Both servicable MLS keepers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I wouldn't put either of them in elite of the league status. Both servicable MLS keepers.
    I remember back in the day a lot of people (including many on these boards) thought it was a foregone conclusion that Frei would eventually get swept up by a bigger European club because of his Swiss heritage or whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys are missing the biggest point. He saved a penalty.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

You nailed it. Bendik was seriously underpaid at the time, so he was the option they went with.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You nailed it. Bendik was seriously underpaid at the time, so he was the option they went with.
    But then they gave Bendik a 100 000 dollar raise which I think is insane for an unproven keeper

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I think you guys are missing the biggest point. He saved a penalty.....

Which He are you talking about?

Bendik saved one in Chicago last year, and the rebound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither is a long term solution in my opinion, but Konopka has done a better job overall this season. He just needs to tighten his grip around the box to ease our nerves a bit.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said. There is a hot market overseas for solid keepers, the best U.S. trained ones are in high demand, so if you're here you are not totally solid. Just think of Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, and Brad Guzan, all who have played in the EPL. There was an article last year on why the U.S. produces such great goal keepers: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/tim-...sa-goalkeepers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how Konopka performed for the most part, but he's too shaky to be a starter. He makes late decisions and has stone hands. The way we've been playing, I'd been considerably more confident with Joe Bendik in. It's easy to go after him when our defense was getting shredded because we had no cohesion. I don't think he'd have done any worse than Konopka in those games.

I think Konopka is a good reaction keeper, but he can't control the box at all and makes dumb decisions. Lots of them. After that last game, I'm not sure how anyone can think he should be starting. Even with the odd one let in that he should've gotten, Bendik has NEVER looked that shaky, and consistency is the hallmark of a starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That last game was a bad, bad sign, Jack. These were basic decisions about which balls to go for and which not. I just don't see it; in fact, he'll cost us points if we leave him in. Book it.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    That last game was a bad, bad sign, Jack. These were basic decisions about which balls to go for and which not. I just don't see it; in fact, he'll cost us points if we leave him in. Book it.
    Just as Bendik has done. When keepers make mistakes, it usually costs goals and often points. And I agree the last game was a bad sign, but I don't agree that we pull him just yet. A couple more of those and then we look at it.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    I remember back in the day a lot of people (including many on these boards) thought it was a foregone conclusion that Frei would eventually get swept up by a bigger European club because of his Swiss heritage or whatever.
    People look too much at spectacular saves and forget all the other little things that make a keeper complete. Command of your box, communication with the back line, distribution.... This is where a lot of guys in this league fall short.

But I think this topic gets too much burn. LA won a cup with josh Saunders and he's pretty damn average.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik lets in easy goals. If I'm a striker I'm always shooting post side on bendik.. How many times have we seen this man not cover his corner post.. Anybody thats been involved with a soccer club knows 1 of the first things they teach the goal keepers is to always cover your corner post when the player is advancing on your left or right side.. Bendik always let's in those soft near post goals. I still think Neither of them is should be the number 1 keeper next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoFC6fan View Post
    Bendik lets in easy goals. If I'm a striker I'm always shooting post side on bendik.. How many times have we seen this man not cover his corner post.. Anybody thats been involved with a soccer club knows 1 of the first things they teach the goal keepers is to always cover your corner post when the player is advancing on your left or right side.. Bendik always let's in those soft near post goals. I still think Neither of them is should be the number 1 keeper next season.
    Do we let Roberts or Bono have a chance next season? How are they progressing this year?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didn't vote myself, neither keeper inspires me too much to be honest. You can play either one as far as I am concerned and not much will change as they are pretty much at a similiar level overall.
    As many have already said both servicable MLS type keepers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look at it this way...

Konopka brings in $60k - Bendik brings in $140k...

IMO, the number-1 goal for TimB right now should be to remove that $200k from the cap - invest it in one excellent keeper, and have Roberts and his $35k on the bench...

For reference Rimando brings in $225k, Tally Hall $200k, Sean Johnson $250k...

We have far too much talent & money invested in the field-10 to have points slip away from bad decisions or bad goals from our last line of defence...

Of note: I think Konopka has been an excellent performance-per-salary player back there. Taking up only $60k and performing the way he has is admirable... But in this league with the cap, we can't afford to have $140k sitting on the bench, or $200k total tied up in mid-table-level keeping...
    Last edited by Carts; 06-12-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    I look at it this way...

Konopka brings in $60k - Bendik brings in $140k...

IMO, the number-1 goal for TimB right now should be to remove that $200k from the cap - invest it in one excellent keeper, and have Roberts and his $35k on the bench...

For reference Rimando brings in $225k, Tally Hall $200k, Sean Johnson $250k...

We have far too much talent & money invested in the field-10 to have points slip away from bad decisions or bad goals from our last line of defence...

Of note: I think Konopka has been an excellent performance-per-salary player back there. Taking up only $60k and performing the way he has is admirable... But in this league with the cap, we can't afford to have $140k sitting on the bench, or $200k total tied up in mid-table-level keeping...
    Plenty of 100-150K players of starting quality across MLS. To have that on the bench is just not wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Plenty of 100-150K players of starting quality across MLS. To have that on the bench is just not wise.
    Exactly!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Justin Trudeau would say "the costs will sort themselves". We don't need to do a cost analysis benefit between the two - though it's nice to see what options could be.

We're deciding on who can be a wall at the back end, and bring confidence to the front 10 to go out and play their game - not whether the keeper can afford to buy regular carrots or the more expensive organic type.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 06-12-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    People look too much at spectacular saves and forget all the other little things that make a keeper complete. Command of your box, communication with the back line, distribution.... This is where a lot of guys in this league fall short.

But I think this topic gets too much burn. LA won a cup with josh Saunders and he's pretty damn average.
    I agree. 90% of what a keeper does are those things. Only about 10% is about making saves. Konopka is clearly better than Bendik at the 90%.