Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    And now NY is getting a fourth team, but it's owned by easily the most loathsome player in the NBA.
    What is this team or this suppose be a joke because of New York's large Puerto Ricans population?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    What is this team or this suppose be a joke because of New York's large Puerto Ricans population?
    Puerto Rico Islanders are coming back, and are owned by Carmelo Anthony.

It's just all so terrible, man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puerto Rico Islanders are coming back, and are owned by Carmelo Anthony.

It's just all so terrible, man.
    Ok....but how is NY getting a fourth team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Ok....but how is NY getting a fourth team?
    ah, assumed he was moving the team to NY. my bad.

Still. sentiment remains.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melo the most loathsome player in the NBA , don't follow much NBA I take it ? He has his moments but he is far from loathesome . Pro basketball in all it's glory defined that , and as a kid coming out of the horrible projects in Baltimore, father dies at 2, he simply followed the path people that was preordained by the big league owners (white) , to survive . And whose laughing now and he's alive . From what limited knowledge I have he up front is very approachable . His dad was also Puerto Rican hence the Islanders and I love to see big money stars reinvest into the game I love , which shows it's recent growth and value . Of course Melo may not be as pure and ethical as MLSE........
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Melo the most loathsome player in the NBA , don't follow much NBA I take it ? He has his moments but he is far from loathesome . Pro basketball in all it's glory defined that , and as a kid coming out of the horrible projects in Baltimore, father dies at 2, he simply followed the path people that was preordained by the big league owners (white) , to survive . And whose laughing now and he's alive . From what limited knowledge I have he up front is very approachable . His dad was also Puerto Rican hence the Islanders and I love to see big money stars reinvest into the game I love , which shows it's recent growth and value . Of course Melo may not be as pure and ethical as MLSE........

oh no, I trust Melo's a great guy in his personal life. I have no evidence to suggest otherwise. I think it's great that he's investing in something he cares about and wants to use his wealth and influence to give back to his community. I just find him unbelievably boring, both on and off the court. I sigh every time I watch Melo catch the ball in the high post with 18 seconds on the shot clock because it's so fucking depressing. It's fine that Melo chose living in New York and taking the money over competing and playing real basketball. different guys have different priorities in the NBA. I just find him frustrating. He's obviously talented but he sucks to watch play and has zero personality on and off the court. The NBA is a league of crazy fun characters and Melo just doesn't fit in at all. On and off the court, Melo would have fit in in the NBA a lot better 20-30 years ago.

you're right though, most Loathsome is probably harsh. I mean Rondo and Howard are still around and Melo has a ways to go to get to their level.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to seeing Giovinco tear apart their defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-1 Win.

Seba 2
    Jozy 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you're privileged enough to have remained blissfully ignorant until now, here's a primer on the people you are acknowledging and giving your money to on Saturday:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ts-accusations

I've talked about this before on here when its come up, but I feel extremely uncomfortable with the fact that these guys have been let into our league. I thought that this league prided itself in some way about being above politics and being a league with progressive fans and supporters groups around the league. The players are part of that too. The way the Gordon-Johnson incident went down a few years ago would have never happened in Europe. Same thing with Rogers. How's he going to feel playing a team who's owners wouldn't allow him into their country due to his orientation?

But it seems Garber couldn't give a fuck because he's lost all sight of how to build this league and become hell bent on getting as many big name DP's in as many American Cities as possible, regardless of the consequences. It's also very surprising to me that nothing's being made of it around the league. Not a peep from any FO or supporters group. I really don't think this should be glossed over.

The more I think about it the more I feel uncomfortable with going on on Saturday. I hate having to make that choice, and I don't know why Garber is making me choose between me compromising my morals and going to the game to support the team I love or not acknowledging the game and staying at least relatively clean in my own mind. This isn't something I should be forced to consider when I go to a game.

I've been thinking about writing a letter to MLSE and MLS and asking them how much money specifically goes from my ticket to them, and why they feel comfortable giving my money to people who traffic thousands of slaves, enforce medieval era anti-gay legislation and quite possibly have funded terrorists, amongst a whole bunch of other shit. There's really no reason Putin or Kim Jung-Un can't get a team if we're letting in these guys. Obviously I don't think I can make a difference by myself, but I know that a lot of people aren't fully aware of the scale of of shit that these scum get up to. I think everyone who walks into our stadium on Saturday, and every person who walks into every other stadium in the League when they play the team who shall not be named, should be fully informed on the subject and make a conscious decision about if they feel comfortable with this whole thing. It's gone entirely glossed over, even by non MLS journalists who would have full reason to take MLSE and the league to task for allowing this to happen. This seems like the perfect beat for Larsun this week, but I highly doubt we get anything about it in the lead up from our regular beat reporters.

I don't know. I just think it's something that at least needs to be discussed.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 06-14-2015 at 07:10 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=molenshtain;1748023]oh no, I trust Melo's a great guy in his personal life. I have no evidence to suggest otherwise. I think it's great that he's investing in something he cares about and wants to use his wealth and influence to give back to his community. I just find him unbelievably boring, both on and off the court. I sigh every time I watch Melo catch the ball in the high post with 18 seconds on the shot clock because it's so fucking depressing. It's fine that Melo chose living in New York and taking the money over competing and playing real basketball. different guys have different priorities in the NBA. I just find him frustrating. He's obviously talented but he sucks to watch play and has zero personality on and off the court. The NBA is a league of crazy fun characters and Melo just doesn't fit in at all. On and off the court, Melo would have fit in in the NBA a lot better 20-30 years ago.

point taken .....he's looking to after basketball......the whole American sports system is corrupt and if one has the talent to get out of horrid conditions I can understand , Even if many ruin my false sports 'hero' dreams . It's funny because I've actually had similar sentiments but have been chastised by my a my daughters best friend and 2nd daughter to us as she went to school with him and became close as a student in Washington/Baltimore . Believe me I think it's hard to keep an image true to oneself in the huge sports kingdom .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you're privileged enough to have remained blissfully ignorant until now, here's a primer on the people you are acknowledging and giving your money to on Saturday:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ts-accusations

I've talked about this before on here when its come up, but I feel extremely uncomfortable with the fact that these guys have been let into our league. I thought that this league prided itself in some way about being above politics and being a league with progressive fans and supporters groups around the league. The players are part of that too. The way the Gordon-Johnson incident went down a few years ago would have never happened in Europe. Same thing with Rogers. How's he going to feel playing a team who's owners wouldn't allow him into their country due to his orientation?

But it seems Garber couldn't give a fuck because he's lost all sight of how to build this league and become hell bent on getting as many big name DP's in as many American Cities as possible, regardless of the consequences. It's also very surprising to me that nothing's being made of it around the league. Not a peep from any FO or supporters group. I really don't think this should be glossed over.

The more I think about it the more I feel uncomfortable with going on on Saturday. I hate having to make that choice, and I don't know why Garber is making me choose between me compromising my morals and going to the game to support the team I love or not acknowledging the game and staying at least relatively clean in my own mind. This isn't something I should be forced to consider when I go to a game.

I've been thinking about writing a letter to MLSE and MLS and asking them how much money specifically goes from my ticket to them, and why they feel comfortable giving my money to people who traffic thousands of slaves, enforce medieval era anti-gay legislation and quite possibly have funded terrorists, amongst a whole bunch of other shit. There's really no reason Putin or Kim Jung-Un can't get a team if we're letting in these guys. Obviously I don't think I can make a difference by myself, but I know that a lot of people aren't fully aware of the scale of of shit that these scum get up to. I think everyone who walks into our stadium on Saturday, and every person who walks into every other stadium in the League when they play the team who shall not be named, should be fully informed on the subject and make a conscious decision about if they feel comfortable with this whole thing. It's gone entirely glossed over, even by non MLS journalists who would have full reason to take MLSE and the league to task for allowing this to happen. This seems like the perfect beat for Larsun this week, but I highly doubt we get anything about it in the lead up from our regular beat reporters.

I don't know. I just think it's something that at least needs to be discussed.
    Did you go to the friendly to voice your opinion? Did you write a letter about it? It seems like you had an opportunity to speak your peace already. Here's another one. No one is stopping you from talking about the subject. I think its pretty terrible the state that Abu dhabi is in. I certainly don't approve of their conduct and wouldn't want them represented in a positive light in this or a foreign league.

My only issue is the focus you take from your own view to push on some supporters group to take the initiative. That and the fact that many are season ticket holders and couldn't NOT be giving their money to this game. They did that already.

So feel free to share your ideas and see who is thinking along the same lines if you want to start some initiative.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can not wait for this Saturday!!! It's been too long without a game in TO already lol.... Do we gather at Shoeless before the De Ro Testimonial game? If so what time?

See you all there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they announce roster for DeRo testimonial game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ampaign=Unpaid

3. The Replacements

NYCFC have gone back to the diamond, and have now ripped off two straight wins. Saturday's was a fairly comprehensive 3-1 win over Montreal that included lots of possession (as per usual) and really nice build-up play (hey, that's new!).
    They were particularly prolific down the left-hand side:
    Getting Chris Wingert (No. 17) re-slotted into the left back role he played for almost a decade in Utah has made a lot of sense, as did having Ned Grabavoy (No. 11) play at the point of the diamond, which he'd done fairly regularly in the past - notably in 2011 when Javier Morales was hurt for most of the year.
    But yeah... No. 15 is Tommy McNamara, and that graphic gives an idea of how strong a connection he has with both forwards, Patrick Mullins (No. 14) and David Villa (No. 7). McNamara plays much more of a north-south game than the typical shuttler (that's the term for a wide midfielder in a diamond or 4-1-3-2), and as such pulls the opposing fullbacks further away from the central channel, which - follow along, now - leaves Mullins and Villa with more room to operate.
    NYCFC still have work to do and at least one big, Lampard-sized adjustment to make over the next month, but over the last two weeks they've started to resemble a decent MLS team. Youngsters McNamara, Mullins and Kwadwo Poku have all had a big hand in that, which should give NYCFC fans something to be cheerful about.

They're basically a mirror of us.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 06-15-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Did they announce roster for DeRo testimonial game?
    No Rosters announced yet on TorontoFC.com

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ampaign=Unpaid

3. The Replacements

NYCFC have gone back to the diamond, and have now ripped off two straight wins. Saturday's was a fairly comprehensive 3-1 win over Montreal that included lots of possession (as per usual) and really nice build-up play (hey, that's new!).
    They were particularly prolific down the left-hand side:
    Getting Chris Wingert (No. 17) re-slotted into the left back role he played for almost a decade in Utah has made a lot of sense, as did having Ned Grabavoy (No. 11) play at the point of the diamond, which he'd done fairly regularly in the past - notably in 2011 when Javier Morales was hurt for most of the year.
    But yeah... No. 15 is Tommy McNamara, and that graphic gives an idea of how strong a connection he has with both forwards, Patrick Mullins (No. 14) and David Villa (No. 7). McNamara plays much more of a north-south game than the typical shuttler (that's the term for a wide midfielder in a diamond or 4-1-3-2), and as such pulls the opposing fullbacks further away from the central channel, which - follow along, now - leaves Mullins and Villa with more room to operate.
    NYCFC still have work to do and at least one big, Lampard-sized adjustment to make over the next month, but over the last two weeks they've started to resemble a decent MLS team. Youngsters McNamara, Mullins and Kwadwo Poku have all had a big hand in that, which should give NYCFC fans something to be cheerful about.

They're basically a mirror of us.
    We have a better balance in the passing department and a WAY better DM in Cheyrou. That and their defence is porous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,

Coming over from Ireland to Toronto for two weeks tomorrow and would love to take in this game. I'd like to get a sense of what you guys are all about and get an idea of the football culture in Toronto.

Being the follower of a local club here in Dublin called Shelbourne (Shels) I've naturally got an interest in football culture worldwide and have been to many games around Europe etc..

What's the best place for a drink and to sample a proper match day experience (looking for the proper football fix and not the corporate, streamlined side of things!)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelsMan View Post
    Hi All,

Coming over from Ireland to Toronto for two weeks tomorrow and would love to take in this game. I'd like to get a sense of what you guys are all about and get an idea of the football culture in Toronto.

Being the follower of a local club here in Dublin called Shelbourne (Shels) I've naturally got an interest in football culture worldwide and have been to many games around Europe etc..

What's the best place for a drink and to sample a proper match day experience (looking for the proper football fix and not the corporate, streamlined side of things!)

Cheers guys.
    Before the game Shoeless Joes about 5-10 min walk from the stadium is the main spot for supporters, couple others also around but Shoeless is the main spot.

When looking for tickets: sections 112, 113, 114 and 116 IMO are the best places to be with 111 also being good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Before the game Shoeless Joes about 5-10 min walk from the stadium is the main spot for supporters, couple others also around but Shoeless is the main spot.

When looking for tickets: sections 112, 113, 114 and 116 IMO are the best places to be with 111 also being good.

Great stuff. Will defiinitely pay that spot a visit before the game... nice one!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great stuff. Will defiinitely pay that spot a visit before the game... nice one!
    And check out the Ticket Trader thread here on this forum, for decently-priced tickets to the supporters' sections mentioned above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,

Cheers guys.
    Jesus, the Shels supporting population of Toronto is about to double!

Shoeless joes is a good spot before the match as has been said and don't forget you can drink at your seat inside the ground here (but you'll pay a small fortune for the privilege). Get tickets for the South stand in the ticket trader form, standing is allowed and is nearly always where you'll find the atmosphere. Usually the closer to sections 112, 113 and 114 the better. It's a very different kind of atmosphere to back home, but on a good day BMO can be rocking. Last week especially was fantastic,hopefully this one delivers as well for you.

Oh and since you're in Canada take the short walk to Atlantic avenue afterwards for some post match poutine. You can't come here and not try it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know what Moore's status is going into the game this Saturday? He went off against DC and I haven't heard anything since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaysus, a Shels fan

Enjoy and welcome to Toronto!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seats are in 226. Good cause this.

Pre Game Festivities celebrating Italian Culture - with a few thousand of us already there and drinking for 3 hours, that should be fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Seats are in 226. Good cause this.

Pre Game Festivities celebrating Italian Culture - with a few thousand of us already there and drinking for 3 hours, that should be fun.
    Here's a question...will we be able to leave BMO after the Testimonial, and, return later for the NYFC match? Or do they expect all of us to stay at BMO to eat/drink??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    Here's a question...will we be able to leave BMO after the Testimonial, and, return later for the NYFC match? Or do they expect all of us to stay at BMO to eat/drink??
    I'm pretty sure you can leave and then come back. You just gotta make sure to scan your ticket again when you leave so that it still works when you come back for the NYCFC game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those interested in Cosmos vs. NYCFC tonight, it will be on youtube found here, apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    For those interested in Cosmos vs. NYCFC tonight, it will be on youtube found here, apparently.
    Here's the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6RdvSi7xlw

NYC resting some guys for the match against us. Villa, Grabavoy and McNamara on the bench. Surprised they started Diskerud actually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tied 2-2 after 90, now they have to play for another 30.
    NYCFC might be a wee bit tired come Saturday.

NYFC was up 2-0.
    Lucky scores the tying goal for Cosmos around the 90th minute.
    Last edited by Petor; 06-17-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of NYC starters getting serious minutes tonight. Thank you Cosmos!