Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Core Designated Player

been rumors of something like this happening for a min.
    Looks like itll be between 750k-1 million
    http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/ml...---nYJRYw15BE/
    wonder if we will pick someone up and who itd be

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are probably quite a few 'Core DPs' already playing in the league on DP salary.

Meaning, clubs have overpaid in order to hold onto / bring in slightly above average talent.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember how people were scratching their heads wondering how Diskerud, Shea and Kjiestan came in to the league and weren't DPs? I bet they'll fall under this rule.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cheyrou or Perquis are our ones once the dust settles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all those players you mentioned have been bought down by Allocation Money. As have Cheyrou and Perquis. What I can see happening is that current DP's who make within that salary range, can be shifted to this Core DP label, leaving the team open to spend more on a more expensive talent.

As for TFC, my thinking is that this is where those Aquilani, Belfodil rumours have come. One of those could be joining us this year if the Core DP is put in place. I've read that it could be put in place for the Summer Transfer season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of pointless if you don't raise the cap if you ask me, all it does is make more imbalanced teams, lets increase the cap by another 1M shall we, the current cap is still a joke.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has the CBA even been ratified yet (I mean beyond the initial "We like what we enough to play" vote)?

They could, in theory, still raise the cap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Has the CBA even been ratified yet (I mean beyond the initial "We like what we enough to play" vote)?

They could, in theory, still raise the cap.
    Everything about that whole deal is totally MLS dodgy. All smoke and mirrors. No one really knows anything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe recall Gilberto.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Maybe recall Gilberto.
    Wow, that would be one slick winger (would work on either left or right wings)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No new DP coming:

Dan Courtemanche ‏@courtemancheMLS . @KristianRDyer @metronewyork Major League Soccer does not have any plans to add another Designated Player slot

https://twitter.com/courtemancheMLS/...16913227255808

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Kind of pointless if you don't raise the cap if you ask me, all it does is make more imbalanced teams, lets increase the cap by another 1M shall we, the current cap is still a joke.
    I hear you. MLS is so weird in that they mandate an incredibly low salary cap, but then create all these loopholes and special rules that allow teams to circumvent that salary cap. If the cap truly was put in place to ensure parity and economic balance throughout the league, then what is the point to all this? Just up the cap and streamline the current procedure for DPs.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I think all those players you mentioned have been bought down by Allocation Money. As have Cheyrou and Perquis. What I can see happening is that current DP's who make within that salary range, can be shifted to this Core DP label, leaving the team open to spend more on a more expensive talent.

As for TFC, my thinking is that this is where those Aquilani, Belfodil rumours have come. One of those could be joining us this year if the Core DP is put in place. I've read that it could be put in place for the Summer Transfer season.
    Yea, paid down by allocation this year and they are that new designation next year.

But, whatever it's not happening according to the MLS comms guy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Maybe recall Gilberto.
    Now that we don't need goals, he'd fit right in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto and giovinco would be a an awesome partership

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Gilberto and giovinco would be a an awesome partership

hahaah funny profile picture you got dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Now that we don't need goals, he'd fit right in.
    I know you don't like him and actually don't want him back, but I think that he would do well with this group of players.

He wasn't really a #1 striker, he is more of a winger/inside forward, his work rate, IQ and technical ability right now would further bolster the attack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id be shocked if he was who we used it on, id be betting on defensive measures or even a winger

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I hear you. MLS is so weird in that they mandate an incredibly low salary cap, but then create all these loopholes and special rules that allow teams to circumvent that salary cap. If the cap truly was put in place to ensure parity and economic balance throughout the league, then what is the point to all this? Just up the cap and streamline the current procedure for DPs.
    The goal now is to ensure enough parity that a well-coached and built small market team can beat a mediocre - coached big market team. It's still true, you see it all the time.

The ultimate end game is to allow small market teams to thrive so that you have a large viable league. You want to prevent the situation that the old NASL had, where the Cosmos won 65% of their games and encouraged the smaller teams to spend themselves into oblivion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto wouldn't fit into this attack as it currently goes.

He's not good enough defensively to play on the side of a diamond. He's really only an upgrade on Moore.

What he provides is not a priority. Go with a CD if we have this option.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gilberto wouldn't fit into this attack as it currently goes.

He's not good enough defensively to play on the side of a diamond. He's really only an upgrade on Moore.

What he provides is not a priority. Go with a CD if we have this option.
    That was my first thought. We could get a very solid defender for a million.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy with Moore at the moment (1g 3a). If we're going to get another DP I think it needs to be in the midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I'm happy with Moore at the moment (1g 3a). If we're going to get another DP I think it needs to be in the midfield.
    Agreed. Moore has been contributing and we still haven't seen Hamilton. We need someone on that left side of the diamond...or you know, a centre back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as we need a CB, I'm not convinced this would be the right way to use that 4th DP.

considering the fact that we have been playing the season without or most expensive CB in Caldwell. I think with his 325k+ cap hit, we could find a suitable replacement, and have zavaleta and hagglund as rotational CBs.

Reason why I wouldn't mind bringing Gilberto back on that DP contract is because he's proven he can score goals in the MLS, (nvm mind the form he's currently in) which would provide cover for Jozy who is always away with the USMNT, and will be for the next 3 years (Copa 2016, *Confed Cup 2017, WC 2018) and this is not including MLS' incompetent schedules that have match days on FIFA international dates .

Just imagine this lineup:

-----------Jozy---------Gilberto-----------
    ----------------Sebastian-----------------
    ----Jonathan--------------------Michael--
    ----------------Benoit--------------------

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley as a wide right midfielder who has to spend a good chunk of his time supporting Bloom or Morrow is not going to happen.

The diamond works. Changing a working shape to put in Gilberto is a poor choice when we can get more bang for the buck with an experienced CD. If Perquis went down, we'd be Zavelletta and Hagglund - that ain't a good idea.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bradley as a wide right midfielder who has to spend a good chunk of his time supporting Bloom or Morrow is not going to happen.

The diamond works. Changing a working shape to put in Gilberto is a poor choice when we can get more bang for the buck with an experienced CD. If Perquis went down, we'd be Zavelletta and Hagglund - that ain't a good idea.
    Agreed. A million bucks buys a lot of defender.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a diamond midfield there isn't "wide players" FYI. It's no different from when Bradley plays on the right of Cheyrou in the 4-2-3-1 that we play.

While I agree with you on the aspect of there isn't a case to change the current formation for the sake of fitting in Gilberto. However you missed the point where I stated we would need to get a new CB in the replacement of Caldwells 325k+ salary. In this league paying 750k - 1M for a center back is a waste. Just take a look at the best CBs in the league and look at the average salary.

So having Hagglund and Zavaleta competiting for the 3rd CB spot - is a perfect situation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    In a diamond midfield there isn't "wide players" .
    But that has been what has been happening, with Osorio and Warner/Creavalle charged with supporting the FB's. Its been effective at stopping all those wide crosses.

Aaaa...see your other bit. Scanned too quickly.