Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty good game going down right now in LA. Can their legs hold?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mls looks really bad so far in the CCL ... will any teams move on

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS teams in preseason vs Liga MX teams in mid season form.

I want to see MLS teams in mid season form vs Liga MX teams in mid season form.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    MLS teams in preseason vs Liga MX teams in mid season form.

I want to see MLS teams in mid season form vs Liga MX teams in mid season form.
    I do too but mid season MLS teams are likely to have a few more injuries mid-season. Our depth is improving but not great in my view.

Liga MX is a 4 star league. MLS is a 3.5 star league. We're getting so close. Every year the gap is smaller. Galaxy and Sounders were competitive in their games. RSL and DC were not as competitive. They could have scored and missed some chances, but I thought the talent level was lower then the other 6 teams.

I thought the Sounders were the better team in their match. 2-2 heading to Mexico... anything is possible. And a 1-1 draw for LA would see them through as well. Big week coming up for this league.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    It's BS. There is no reason why US teams should get to avoid Mexican teams in the group stages. CSA needs to step up and do something about this.
    Most tourneys have pots for team distribution. Of course they'd use the national standing vs a league rating.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    CCL is a joke.

Apparently Vancouver played its reserve team AT HOME ... while still charging full prices. thats crap
    That would make Vancouver the joke.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aaaaaaand DC is eliminated, basically. Road goal Queretaro early 3-0 agg. DC needing 4 goals at this point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was some garbage defending there by DCU. Like, really bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These QFs are a fiasco for the MLS based teams. USSF and CSA need to push hard to get the QFs moved to at least April, even if that compresses the rest of the knockout games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or shift the opening weekend 1 or two weeks earlier. Once the League has 28 teams, there will be enough clubs in warmer climes that they could shift the schedule that much, and finish a little earlier than December. I expect 4 in California, 3 in Cascadia, 3 in Texas, 2 in Florida, Atlanta and one more somewhere in the Carolinas. Those all will have daytime highs in at least the low teens, even in late February.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Or shift the opening weekend 1 or two weeks earlier. Once the League has 28 teams, there will be enough clubs in warmer climes that they could shift the schedule that much, and finish a little earlier than December. I expect 4 in California, 3 in Cascadia, 3 in Texas, 2 in Florida, Atlanta and one more somewhere in the Carolinas. Those all will have daytime highs in at least the low teens, even in late February.
    That would work too.

Maybe not immediately but not too far in the future MLS should very seriously consider adopting the Russian Premier League calendar. The RPL has fewer teams but if MLS shifts to less inter-conference games, it could be accommodated. Starts in mid July, breaks in early Dec through mid March, concludes end of May. 30 game weeks. How to fit playoffs in that might need a creative solution, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing these MLS teams get destroyed how the heck did the Impact make the final and was what was less then a half from winning it all, they even went into Axteca Stadium and if I remember correctly got a draw,I mean these MLS teams this year are just not even competing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So all the MLS sides are now out. So much for this being MLS' year. there is still a big gap.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a big gap but the schedule doesn't help. One team is playing its first competitive game in 3 months and the other is 7 games into their season.

Best thing MLS teams can hope for is to avoid Mexican teams as long as possible, which is how RSL got to the final. Or do what Montreal did and spend two weeks in Mexico preparing, but I doubt any other teams are gonna take the tournament that seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all the leagues in our confederation need to get on the same schedule IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    all the leagues in our confederation need to get on the same schedule IMO.
    A summer schedule in mexico would be brutal and a winter schedule doesn't work in MLS without massive renovations to infrastructure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    A summer schedule in mexico would be brutal and a winter schedule doesn't work in MLS without massive renovations to infrastructure.
    With the way weather is going (back to double digits next week), we might get the option to play in Winter months 10-20 years from now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet MLS will never move to a Winter Schedule - they have the advantage of being the only soccer on TV at various times in the summer months in Europe, building interest overseas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until the MLS raises the salary cap significantly we will struggle to compete in Champions League. As we have seen the Mexican teams field a lot of their bench or youth players for the majority of the tournament....