Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    What is the record for most player of the week awards in a season??
    Just a quick search online

Henry won it 5x in 2012
    Landycakes won it 4x in 2014 + 2008
    Wondo won it 4x in 2012
    Jeff Cuntingham won it 4x in 2009
    Wondo won it 3x in 2010
    Dero got it 3x in 2011
    Luciano Emilio - 3x in 2007
    Eddie Johnson - 3x in 2007
    Giovinco - 3x in 2015
    Last edited by jabbronies; 07-14-2015 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

Henry won it 5x in 2012
    Wondo won it 4x in 2012
    Wondo won it 3x in 2010
    Dero got it 3x in 2011
    Giovinco - 3x in 2015
    well lets hope for another 3 to get the record!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To see them all together, first half season goalfest:

https://youtu.be/SlX9q1ZoPv8
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Well that's just ridiculous. If you watch this league and support it you'd want the best playing here. If he plays at a higher level than anyone else in this league (and he certainly makes a case for it) I hope he performs as such and then passes it on to make the players around him raise their level.

It's an obvious if not stated strategy of this league and any new league like it.
    Don't get me wrong, I hope he'll be here for many years and it's a coup for MLS to have a player like that. All I'm saying is that he's a few levels above everyone else and that it's a huge sacrifice that he's made to be here, his salary notwithstanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS just released a new highlight video as well that is blowing up on facebook. I think the rest of the league is now completely paying attention judging from the comments from supporters of every team in the league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FWpfYVb8Vk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What in the fucking shit? He wasn't voted into the all star game?
    Damn murricans.

It's good cuz seba gets to rest but just so disrespectful. 3 player of the weeks and coming off a hattrick. Fuck Garber.
    Last edited by shwade; 07-14-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    What in the fucking shit? He wasn't voted into the all star game?
    Damn murricans.

It's good cuz seba gets to rest but just so disrespectful. 3 player of the weeks and coming off a hattrick. Fuck Garber.
    Still not picked... Garber just made his two choices Lampard and Gerrard.. they havent even played a game. wtf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The coach still has the option to select any player he wants, regardless if he wasn't selected in the voting.

It would be comical if he leaves Seba out.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd prefer they leave him out. Focus on the matches that mean something. The marketing takes care of itself when you have exciting matches (for neutrals) like Sunday's game.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not give two shits about the all-star game. But still it is a bit of an insult that he is not in the squad, he is clearly the best player in the league this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Garber picks are way more insulting than the fan voted ones in my opinion. The fans may only follow their own team but Garber would know about Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    Still not picked... Garber just made his two choices Lampard and Gerrard.. they havent even played a game. wtf
    Does Garber have half a clue as to how stupid he makes himself look?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

Henry won it 5x in 2012
    Wondo won it 4x in 2012
    Wondo won it 3x in 2010
    Dero got it 3x in 2011
    Giovinco - 3x in 2015
    oooooooo I think he'll have at least another banner week. That 5th one may be a concern for Don, though. and 6 is just out of the question. He'll give Lampard 6 in 2015.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the epitome of what everybody should try to avoid in life - worrying too much about what other people think.

Those of you who follow basketball know that the Spurs, top to bottom, as individuals or as a team, never get the credit they deserve, because they play in a non-focus market. They make it their thing that they do not care. They. Do. Not. Care.

We. Should. Not. Care.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is the epitome of what everybody should try to avoid in life - worrying too much about what other people think.

Those of you who follow basketball know that the Spurs, top to bottom, as individuals or as a team, never get the credit they deserve, because they play in a non-focus market. They make it their thing that they do not care. They. Do. Not. Care.

We. Should. Not. Care.
    Um, the dude runs the league. We should care how he does business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me this isn't about Giovinco really. I would rather no reds ever play in this waste of fucking time.

I do want MLS to stop being such a shitshow of stupidity and rules however. This is embarrassing as a fan of the league.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    For me this isn't about Giovinco really. I would rather no reds ever play in this waste of fucking time.

I do want MLS to stop being such a shitshow of stupidity and rules however. This is embarrassing as a fan of the league.
    Absolutely, we can want both Giovinco to be given his due if others are rating players in the league yet think the system is unnecessary. IF the Don ever scraps it I won't be asking "WHO, Don? Who are the best players in the league????"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He runs the league the way anyone would run it, ie for the benefit of big US markets. He does not ultimately care all that much about Canada. Same as every other league. Even the NHL.

If I have Pirlo, Lampard and Villa just arriving in NY, I would absolutely put those guys in over Giovinco in Toronto too. They are ALL much bigger names than Gio, and NY is way more important.

It's not a soccer decision, it's a blatantly obvious business decision.

Only solution is a Canadian league. You want a Canadian league? Fine, but let's see who TFC signs in that league, and who the opponents have signed. You won't have any "affronts" like this anymore.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-16-2015 at 09:38 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You ppl are getting too worked up over a glorified dog and pony show that mls uses to wine and dine sponsors

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He runs the league the way anyone would run it, ie for the benefit of big US markets. He does not ultimately care all that much about Canada. Same as every other league. Even the NHL.

If I have Pirlo, Lampard and Villa just arriving in NY, I would absolutely put those guys in over Giovinco in Toronto too. They are ALL much bigger names than Gio, and NY is way more important.

It's not a soccer decision, it's a blatantly obvious business decision.

Only solution is a Canadian league. You want a Canadian league? Fine, but let's see who TFC signs in that league, and who the opponents have signed. You won't have any "affronts" like this anymore.
    All this info has little to do with caring that his business acumen incorporates performance of players.

He should be called out on this. To just chalk it up to the same level of farce is false.

It won't make me NOT watch the game anymore than I don't already but it should be noted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Manno was chosen to represent the Leafs at an all star game in the 1980s.

That all star game crime will never be topped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    You ppl are getting too worked up over a glorified dog and pony show that mls uses to wine and dine sponsors
    It's not about the game it's about the slap and spit in the face of giovinco.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think everyone should be happy that he didn't get selected to the all-star game starting 11 - which the fans picked BTW. He would end up playing at least 45 minutes of unnecessary soccer if he did.

As for the Don Garber picks - who cares - Anyone who thinks Garber would risk not having those two on the field is insane. Garber has picks for a reason. To make sure the league's big names, not necessarily the best players, are at that game.

Everyone please pray that Gio does not get picked by the manager's pick. He doesn't need to play in this match.

or If he does get picked - he enjoys it from the bench.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/16...going-anywhere
    “I was impressed with how the team was organized,” Giovinco told the Sun on Thursday. “He (Bezbatchenko) was very organized in how he presented the project.
    “He made a huge impact on me. From a decision-making point of view, it was very important.”
    A lot of people don't give Bez any credit, but he flew to Italy alone and met with Giovinco first. Of course the same people will dismiss the quote saying Giovinco is just trying to make Bez look good.

In any case, good to hear he's happy here. Perfect player to build our team around for years to come.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post

A lot of people don't give Bez any credit, but he flew to Italy alone and met with Giovinco first. Of course the same people will dismiss the quote saying Giovinco is just trying to make Bez look good.

In any case, good to hear he's happy here. Perfect player to build our team around for years to come.
    Good news. He's saying all the right things and does seem to be passionate about the team and winning. If we can continue to build on the very solid core of this team, we should be a force for many years.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a few adjustments to our starting lineup, this team could be a perennial contender for a long time with Giovinco in the fold. I hope we take advantage of this window of opportunity and continue to build a solid supporting cast around him. We only need a few more pieces to be among the elite teams in the league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post

Yeah. There are some people who would say all that.

I see Bez as doing something more like this when he saw Gio in Italy:

Last edited by ensco; 07-17-2015 at 06:19 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lead in that article had me doubled over laughing: "Toronto FC anticipates astronomical, potentially never-before-seen transfer offers for Sebastian Giovinco this summer."

I mean, that is all time arse-licking funny! Larson handles Bez like the Sun King.

I love Gio, but Conte won't call him. He is on $8M a year long term. He's valuable but not that kind of valuable. I mean, cmon.

There's no big transfer if the commitment is $30M+ already. Someone would take the contract I think, a la Defoe, but no big team is coming for him strong just because he's tearing up a minor league.

They idea that he has any transfer value at that price is very debatable, given that contract - just for laughs, look at Juve's wage table.
    http://www.totalsportek.com/money/ju...ayer-salaries/

Not that Larson can be bothered to spend 30 seconds thinking about or looking something like this up.

He does sound happy, so that's good. By the way, his deal was reported as 4 years and $28M in January, interesting that now it's 5 years and almost $40M.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-17-2015 at 06:34 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does sound happy, so that's good. By the way, his deal was reported as 4 years and $28M in January, interesting that now it's 5 years and almost $40M.
    Canadian dollar conversion?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Canadian dollar conversion?
    Could be. Does that apply to time too?