Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    A loan deal could very well be a viable possibility - especially if he wants to stay on the National team.
    I have a question why would Giovinco leave all the money to go play for some relegation to average teams at best in any league. He could have done that last January...

In an interview after the game yesterday, he was asked about the transfer rumors linking him to come back to Europe. His response was along the lines of I just moved teams and I happy where I am and want to enjoy his new adventure.

I wouldn't take too much stalk in these rumours unless there is concrete interest from a Champions League contender... Which as much as we all love Giovinco and marvel at his skill I really can't see that happening

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya I agree. I mean, it's tough to say what a DP level player is coming to MLS for.

Bradley came here for the project, as well as first team minutes and to be closer to his national team. AnObvious one IMO

Giovinco - a little of both. He needed playing time and TFC gave him that. Everyone likes money and TFC gave him lots. I don't know if he came here to specifically for the TFC project...but he's a proper professional, I don't think he goes somewhere without wanting to win a championship.

One could argue Defoe was a player who came here not for a championship, but for many other selfish reason. To play for the English National team, to expand his global brand, for the money and fame.

Guys like Koevermans and Frings wanting to expand the life of their careers and settle in with their families - and also the money.

Then there are guys like JDG or Mista who can't go anywhere but MLS - but I feel like that is changing. I don't think those types of players can get into this league anymore. unless some dumb ass owner brings them in.
    As several have pointed out, winning championships and helping your own career can and should go together. And, as you say, helping your own career means different things to different players....but the outcome should still be a better team. With Toronto, the current DPs have improved TFC but not as much as what most people expected with the lineup we have. I never thought we'd get to this point in the season without clinching. To have an absolutely key player play a year and go would be catastrophic both to our team's improvement and to the idea that MLS can keep players if they are really, really, really good. (I like what I've heard from Giovinco himself. I don't expect him to go anytime soon, not even on loan.)

Of course, improved scheduling with respect to international games would be a big help. I don't know if MLS even considers it an issue, but I hope fans are letting TFC and the league know that it is a major source of frustration and an impediment to getting the better players necessary to make the league better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    I have a question why would Giovinco leave all the money to go play for some relegation to average teams at best in any league. He could have done that last January...

In an interview after the game yesterday, he was asked about the transfer rumors linking him to come back to Europe. His response was along the lines of I just moved teams and I happy where I am and want to enjoy his new adventure.

I wouldn't take too much stalk in these rumours unless there is concrete interest from a Champions League contender... Which as much as we all love Giovinco and marvel at his skill I really can't see that happening
    I think your arguments against are more in regards to him moving on a permanent deal. I don't think they apply to Jan loan type move. For one if he did move in Jan it defo wouldn't be to a relegation team, and I defo think he could do higher than an average team as well.
    Not saying he'd be going on loan to Barca, Real or Bayern but I could defo see him doing a short term impact stint at the batch of clubs just under those 3.
    as you say until something is concrete just hearsay for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    You're right - I'm not being realistic. But you also point out the real problem - the position our club (and league) is in. If we want TFC to get a lot better, it has to be able to hold on to good players. We're already getting bitten for aiming high with younger, prime-age DPs. Losing the allegedly best-ever player in MLS history has no upside in my books.
    Chances are you will need to wait 15+ years...Seeing how there is only one club in the Bundesliga who can keep their players it will be a long time before the same will happen in MLS.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    Of course, improved scheduling with respect to international games would be a big help. I don't know if MLS even considers it an issue, but I hope fans are letting TFC and the league know that it is a major source of frustration and an impediment to getting the better players necessary to make the league better.
    MLS is aware and uses wiggle room and bargaining for their teams to work out deals with federations. MLS teams do this more because of the sched being spring, summer, fall, but other leagues deal with it as well.

I don't agree with it but many federations want to make money on non fifa dates.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post

Going on loan doesn't mean he's leaving the team - It means he'd probably play for a European club from January to March/April then come back to MLS/TFC

If one of his focuses is on the National team, he'll need to be match fit for the spring international break - meaning he'd need to be playing regular football in order to be considered for the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going on loan doesn't mean he's leaving the team - It means he'd probably play for a European club from January to March/April then come back to MLS/TFC

If one of his focuses is on the National team, he'll need to be match fit for the spring international break - meaning he'd need to be playing regular football in order to be considered for the team.
    These teams such as Barca are more interested in signing him, rather than taking him on loan and they would have no problem splashing cash along with many other teams.

Seba wants to play on a championship contender. Regardless of the outcome this year, Seba will no doubt be back next year although if thinks the team is heading nowhere, he will be gone by the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am willing to go on record after tonight. Yes - I agree fully with the subject of this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What took you so long? I'd only trade him for Messi or Ronaldo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am playing this goal video over and over again.

SUBLIME!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I am playing this goal video over and over again.

SUBLIME!!!
    Ditto, I can't stop watching it - just magical!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only is that goal a likely candidate for goal of the year, but Giovinco is now tied with Kamara in the Golden Boot race.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give some credit to Nigel Reed here, normally I think he's mediocre at best, but he lived up to the moment with his commentary on this one. And what a moment it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was out of this world just incredible, and it is seeing stuff like this that made me a soccer fan in a country that the odds of me growing up and loving this game so much was clearly stacked against me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    That was out of this world just incredible, and it is seeing stuff like this that made me a soccer fan in a country that the odds of me growing up and loving this game so much was clearly stacked against me.
    There will be haters.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy Fuck. He has made us into dreamers. The south end was magical!! Dai Seba!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Done Seba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    Nuff said....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hate to be a party pooper, but this goal is just as good, if not better...
    Nemeth beating Portland defence from centre line
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Perhaps, but surely the terrible play-by-play has to take it down a notch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can somebody tell me how to paste a photo here-taken with my ipad?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've watched it a dozen times and it's still just as impressive as the first.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonfiaLaRete View Post
    Holy Fuck. He has made us into dreamers. The south end was magical!! Dai Seba!!
    The whole friggen stadium was going insane. The last time I saw that much pandemonium in that stadium was for Dichio's 2-2 tying goal back in Season 1. Literally, people in every section were going mental.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco: 'Happy with Italy and Toronto'
    By Football Italia staff

Sebastian Giovinco is “happy to travel half-way round the world” for Italy and committed himself to Toronto FC.
    “It was a difficult match, but we got it back on track, which wasn’t easy against this Norway. We had a good game,” he told Rai Sport after a 2-1 victory.
    “This is the most important thing for me, to wear the Italy jersey, and I’m sure all my teammates feel the same way. I am happy to travel half-way round the world to come here and play.”
    This week Giovinco was linked with a move to Treble-winners Barcelona, but he’s committed to Toronto FC and MLS.
    “No, I’m happy where I am. I only just changed club, so let me enjoy this adventure first.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great goal for sure, although he only beat 2 players, v the 6 that Gio undressed. Shorts around his ankles as Mr. Forrest would say...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only other time I remember an explosion like that at a goal was actually this year in Canada Costa Rica game during gold cup but it was called back for offside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole friggen stadium was going insane. The last time I saw that much pandemonium in that stadium was for Dichio's 2-2 tying goal back in Season 1. Literally, people in every section were going mental.
    8 years of frustration and disappointment washed away with one glorious moment in improbable circumstances. I've dreamed of the incredible for TFC but my dreams don't even come close to what I saw last night. That goal was pure fantasy. I lost my god damn mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me this was what being a football fan is all about. Usually you are on a dry patch - but you have a few nice little orgasms along the way (goals, little victories, minor promotions or cup wins) and then you get this massive multiple-orgasm that lasts a short time but blows you away and the memory lives forever.

Being a football fan for MOST teams (save for those like Man Utd, Barca etc where they have victories year-after-year) is big victories between long dry-spells.

Enjoy this guys, this is what we are football fans for! Seba's goal last night was one of those massive multiple orgasmic moments! If we are lucky, we might get another soon...I might have to take some heart meds or something!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good goal. Giovinco's was better: curled the shot using his weaker left leg. Nemeth couldn't match that in a hundred years.