Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't know much about Italian soccer, but I can't quite imagine a scene like that in Italy, with a player & his kid in front of the supporters. Am I right or wrong here?
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    I highly doubt it. I think he (as well as many other MLS players) likes being here because of the way he can interact with the fans. In North America he can walk down the street without many people recognizing him whereas in Europe it would be much more difficult.
    In the past 5 years or so, players have brought their wives/kids on the field after the Serie A trophy is presented to the winner.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    In the past 5 years or so, players have brought their wives/kids on the field after the Serie A trophy is presented to the winner.....
    Same with the Champions League as well (once the pomp and circumstance is done). I distinctly remember Marcelo in particular taking photos with his family and having his kids play with the trophy.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies if everyone has already seen this, but this article is just so awesome. What a guy.
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/se...co-toronto-fc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Same with the Champions League as well (once the pomp and circumstance is done). I distinctly remember Marcelo in particular taking photos with his family and having his kids play with the trophy.
    ya its not uncommon in Europe, that's for sure.....if you Google it, there's actually pictures of Giovinco with his wife/gf on the field with the Serie A Champions trophy from his time with Juve, just before he came here....one of the pictures, ironically, points back to this board lol......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK thanks for the info! I've seen/heard some of the bad sides of Italian supporters culture in the past few years, but the good sides of course don't get reported as much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ronaldo had his son out schooling the other players kids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    OK thanks for the info! I've seen/heard some of the bad sides of Italian supporters culture in the past few years, but the good sides of course don't get reported as much!
    No problem....

It's really not THAT bad, aside from a couple of teams....the Rome derby (Lazio/Roma) always has incidents though.....most problems in Italy are between the Ultras and teams' management done in the way of walkouts, upside down banners, etc, not necessarily violence.

The real problem with fan experience in Italy is from old and out of date stadiums.....aside from Juve's Allianz Stadium (2010), there hasn't been anything new built since Italia '90, which is absolutely terrible.
    It is changing though; Roma, Udinese, and maybe both of the Milan clubs (one of them for sure, can't remember which right now), all have plans for new stadiums to be built within the next few years....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They still have a lot of issues with ultras in Italy, especially with racism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ again, it is with 1 or 2 groups, not at all rampant....

not much different than what happens in England a few times a year with the chants against Spurs.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is changing though; Roma, Udinese, and maybe both of the Milan clubs (one of them for sure, can't remember which right now), all have plans for new stadiums to be built within the next few years....
    Been finished for a while - they completely re-did three sides of the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ ya I should've known better but wasn't totally sure....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had the 7th best selling jersey in MLS in 2017

1. Miguel Almiron, Atlanta United
    2. Bastian Schweinsteiger, Chicago Fire
    3. Josef Martinez, Atlanta United
    4. Jordan Morris, Seattle Sounders
    5. David Villa, New York City FC
    6. Clint Dempsey, Seattle Sounders
    7. Sebastian Giovinco, Toronto FC
    8. Kaka, Orlando City
    9. Andrea Pirlo, New York City FC
    10. Nicolas Lodeiro, Seattle Sounders
    http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...-jersey-in-mls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Been finished for a while - they completely re-did three sides of the ground.

That's how BMO should have looked nice and enclosed like this instead we got what we have your classic 1950's CFL architecture , two big grandstands with open end zones ya BMO Field one of the best stadiums in the MLS lol ya sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe gio can build that for us,can anybody tell me why gio is not on that brutal italian nat team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

House league coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    That's how BMO should have looked nice and enclosed like this instead we got what we have your classic 1950's CFL architecture , two big grandstands with open end zones ya BMO Field one of the best stadiums in the MLS lol ya sure!
    +100!

It's our stadium, and we must like it, but my God, the truth is that it looks weird...
    This in the pics is a gem compared to BMO.

With the money they already spent on BMO field they could have made it sooooo much better.
    How many years we need to wait until all 4 sides will be closed, and the stands behind the goals will be not so dispoportionally tiny compared to the grand stands?

But even then, BMO won't be this sexy... will be far from something like this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard something disturbing, someone told me today that the reason Giovinco is not getting a national team look (or playing in Serie A for that matter) is because he isn't coachable. I find that hard to believe because that would reflect on how his teammates perceive him and they all seem to love him. Maybe at one time he was like that, but I don't think Bradley would put up with something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I've heard something disturbing, someone told me today that the reason Giovinco is not getting a national team look (or playing in Serie A for that matter) is because he isn't coachable. I find that hard to believe because that would reflect on how his teammates perceive him and they all seem to love him. Maybe at one time he was like that, but I don't think Bradley would put up with something like that.
    Not so sure about that, think its more simply he doesn't fit the national team at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just watched Italy be eliminated from the world cup.
    Gio looks better than the guys starting.
    he definitely could have been on the bench

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I've heard something disturbing, someone told me today that the reason Giovinco is not getting a national team look (or playing in Serie A for that matter) is because he isn't coachable.
    The reason Giovinco is not getting called up is the soon to be ex coach is terrible. Don't believe everything that you hear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me Italy's attack isn't a tad more lethal, say with a Balotelli/Insigne/Giovinco trifecta out there today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been all Jozy this week, and why not?

But Seba deserves a little more of the love, but maybe in a different way than usual. It's not all about the spectacular goals, even though he has had dozens of those.

When you look at all of the big highlights in the “Relive” thread, it's amazing how often a key play, or the key play, in the sequence is made by Seba. Most of Altidore's big goals, including the last two, don’t happen if Gio doesn’t make perfect plays/passes.

It's funny how we pigeon hole guys sometimes. Seba is a “striker” because he scores all those goals, but the reality is that in crunch time, he has been a world class AM, or false 9 just behind Jozy, and it's his distribution that is also a massive part of why we are champions.

Not to say his scoring doesn’t matter! He is always dangerous, draws attention constantly, creating space for others. If he doesn’t score this special goal late in the final game, we're not the alltime points leaders

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02gtV20091Y

He is a connoiseur's treat to watch, and cheer for.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-17-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^I agree with all of this. For some reason, some fans look at his goal scoring numbers and point out that he has declined. 2015 was a fantastic year for Giovinco, but it has set the bar unfairly high for him. Teams have adjusted, he's also a little older. Looking back at that year, TFC was not nearly as good as the last two years. His goals/assists don't need to be as high as the responsibility has been spread out. Let's not forget all of the talk of how TFC was a one man team back then.

I think we can all agree that if we had to choose between the 2015 versions of TFC and Giovinco, and the 2017 versions, we'd all take the 2017 versions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, he actually could have been considered as the playoff MVP based on setting up goals (but then so could Vasquez).

Well, he seemed pretty happy with the win regardless. Is this the first set of silverware he's won in his career?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As good as he was in 2015, we were some way off from being the polished side we are today, and you could see, at times, his frustration with a few plays gone awry, as a direct result.

Don't get me wrong: he's certainly a team-player, and you sense that with how everyone talks about him always wearing a huge smile around the training grounds, etc.

I think he's just a lot happier now, sans personal accolades, and that confidence in his supporting cast enables him to quietly have a consistently great season, despite a few injury setbacks.

GioVINco!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yeah, he actually could have been considered as the playoff MVP based on setting up goals (but then so could Vasquez).

Well, he seemed pretty happy with the win regardless. Is this the first set of silverware he's won in his career?
    He won Serie A with Juventus a few times - most notably in 2012-2013 where he started 23 and subbed in for 8 other games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Tell me Italy's attack isn't a tad more lethal, say with a Balotelli/Insigne/Giovinco trifecta out there today.
    This is old. But yes, yes it would be. Many, many, many in Italy have been complaining about that way before we were eliminated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He won Serie A with Juventus a few times - most notably in 2012-2013 where he started 23 and subbed in for 8 other games.
    Oh. Well, I suppose our win sort of pales in comparison to that. I don't know anything about his Juve career – I hadn't realized he had been that involved before.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great warmup for the next season is watching all 65 of Giovinco's goals in one video. It really stands out how difficult a lot of those goals were:

http://youtu.be/t4r9Z793ksc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    +100!

It's our stadium, and we must like it, but my God, the truth is that it looks weird...
    This in the pics is a gem compared to BMO.

With the money they already spent on BMO field they could have made it sooooo much better.
    How many years we need to wait until all 4 sides will be closed, and the stands behind the goals will be not so dispoportionally tiny compared to the grand stands?

But even then, BMO won't be this sexy... will be far from something like this...
    I think the reno has made BMO Field look A LOT better, but like you say more can be done. Big problem is what they are working with, BMO was built cheap, quick and without inspiration. Almost like a permanent temporary structure. Lipstick on a pig.