Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    "best in the league" currently is basically still "best of all time", only with the inclusion of Donovan and Henry. Can you imagine Giovinco playing in MLS 1.0?
    Well, that's why there is still a discussion. It could be argued quite strongly that Donovan has been the best MLS player of all time. Giovinco may eventually be seen as the best ever, but we have to wait for a little more track record. No, Giovinco would not have played in MLS 1.0 for sure, but Donovan did.

Henry is one of the all-time greats, but Donovan played in MLS in his prime, something Henry did not.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS POTW for the second straight week

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...k-award-after-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bleacher Report has him as top player

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...akes-big-debut

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...mls-it-best-ev

Not the best start ever, but the best start in MLS 2.0, which is a different league than 1996.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...mls-it-best-ev

Not the best start ever, but the best start in MLS 2.0, which is a different league than 1996.
    Interesting to see. Also interesting to note that Defoe was in the conversation after the same number of games. Something to keep in mind before crowning Gio the best ever after a few games (not that I think he will go the same route)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I will say about Gio. He is the first player I can recall in my time watching the league that simply looks like he's taking the piss out of everyone on the pitch.

He really does look like he's playing against Sunday leaguers half the time. Watching him play sort of reminds me of watching Messi play in that you have this player that is so far above the opposition that the really can't do much to stop him (and no - I'm not comparing Gio to Messi in ability or style - just in the gulf you see between them and the opposition- albeit at very different levels)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would argue we are in MLS 3.0 !!

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Interesting to see. Also interesting to note that Defoe was in the conversation after the same number of games. Something to keep in mind before crowning Gio the best ever after a few games (not that I think he will go the same route)
    Defoe at his best was/is a classic striker, a lurker, quiet for long stretches, then does something special once or twice a game. If he's on.

Gio is doing special things 6 or 8 times a game for the last 7 or 8 games. I think your Messi comparison is fair over this stretch. Whether he can keep it up ... one can only dream.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I would argue we are in MLS 3.0 !!
    I can buy that.

2.0 was when TFC joined and Designated players started to enter the league (Past prime stars).

3.0 sees the level of Designated players get taken up a notch (in-prime or just over prime stars). But more importantly we are seeing more quality non-DPs emerging per team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll see how things progress as the season moves on in terms of how teams adapt to what they see of giovinco on tape and if he's able to continue to find ways to perform.

Now that teams are a little more balanced than what we've seen in earlier versions of MLS you can actually get attackers the ball in wide areas quickly. In that past, most of the play was through a central playmaker that needed to drop deep on occasion to pick up the ball. This also meant you could have underwhelming fullbacks because they were rarely left in a position to be exposed.

Fast forward to today: those same underwhelming FBs are now being stretched when guys like Castillo, giovinco, etc... Are getting the ball in good positions and taking them head-on.

I'll be interested to see how they counter this, whether it's starting to pay FBs more to get a better quality player or switching formation to avoid being caught out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I can buy that.

2.0 was when TFC joined and Designated players started to enter the league (Past prime stars).

3.0 sees the level of Designated players get taken up a notch (in-prime or just over prime stars). But more importantly we are seeing more quality non-DPs emerging per team.
    Yeah ... I agree with this too.

I think teams are going to start to try fouling Gio more now, so he's going to have to be ready for that and adjust to it and not let it get to his head. If he keeps getting fouled hard, then starts either carping to the refs about it or going down on any contact just trying to draw the foul, it's going to have a negative impact on him and on the team.

Maybe we need to have Bradley or Altidore become a 'Mark Messier' to Gio's 'Gretzky'. Everyone around the league should know that if they go after Gio they're gonna get it back in spades (but in a smart way that doesn't get them sent off).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have that. He's called Cheyrou. Man gets in some hard tackles when necessary, without getting yellow cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we need to have Bradley or Altidore become a 'Mark Messier' to Gio's 'Gretzky'. Everyone around the league should know that if they go after Gio they're gonna get it back in spades (but in a smart way that doesn't get them sent off).
    That would be Dave Semenko not Mark Messier -
    Although to your point of being 'sent off' then I guess Messier is the better comparison lol
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-10-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

I think teams are going to start to try fouling Gio more now, so he's going to have to be ready for that and adjust to it and not let it get to his head. If he keeps getting fouled hard, then starts either carping to the refs about it or going down on any contact just trying to draw the foul, it's going to have a negative impact on him and on the team.

I expect the fouling to start as well. But I also think we are going to see him getting a bit more protection from the refs than most. I've already notice that both Gio and Alitdore seem to get the benefit of the doubt shall we say on a lot of questionable calls. I think the superstar rule is in full effect.

Same goes for all the big DPs in the league. From the league perspective - these guys are as much about marketing as playing. Doesn't do them a whole lot of good if Gio, Gerrard, Kaka, etc are getting hacked down and injured. I'd also speculate the don't want to start sending the message that the MLS is a league where skilled players get hacked to bits. Makes it a lot less appealing for future players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

I was concerned with his attitude from the start of his stay here as a player coming from a big league. As a smaller finesse player that concern is doubled. He seems to take in stride the man handling and while some complain about how much contact he will or won't take before hitting the floor I think he seems pretty patient with MLS refs so far.

Compare that to other FULL SIZE strikers of years gone by that plead to the official if the ball is even in their area.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He has been pretty good about getting up and continuing. He does shout at the ref from time to time, but he's not a constant chirper/whiner like some guys. His demeanour out there suggests he is very intense and focused, which I love. Even his goal celebrations are like he's just focused on getting the job done and he acts like he's scored before and will do so again. I also note his celebration on the go-ahead goal was a lot more effusive than on the tying goal. The guy's a pro.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Not reason to keep anything in mind. Defoe is a clinical finisher yes, but he added nothing else to this team. Giovinco has been a continuous threat all game long.
    Last edited by barticusz; 06-10-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest Perquis is the man for the job as enforcer. Dude is nails and seemingly wants to murder someone in every match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dempsey isn't even in the same league as Giovinco....Never has been....Even when he was at Fulham he was nothing to write home about. Fact is American football players are just SO overrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I'd suggest Perquis is the man for the job as enforcer. Dude is nails and seemingly wants to murder someone in every match.
    Hahah, that's what you get when you mix French and Polish blood..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    He's losing his cool though. Cheyrou has to calm him down every game.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Not reason to keep anything in mind. Defoe is a clinical finisher yes, but he added nothing else to this team. Giovinco has been a continuous threat all game long.
    Three of Defoe's goals came from opposition turnovers or mistakes and three more came from penalties, which leaves five from open play. Giovinco's goals are mostly coming from nice plays (and those killer free kicks). Full credit to Defoe for pouncing on his opportunities and making the most of them, but the I think way we're playing now and the way we're scoring are both miles ahead of the same point last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco's impact on his teammates is far greater than Defoe's ever was for us. It's not even close.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Giovinco's impact on his teammates is far greater than Defoe's ever was for us. It's not even close.
    And that, as they say, is that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree.. Defoe had a greater impact, just not in a positive way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He's losing his cool though. Cheyrou has to calm him down every game.
    The Canadian in me still wants me to see him clock someone real good. Preferably someone on Montreal. It'll be worth it once Caldwell is healthy.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gio has been without a doubt, the most impressive player to ever put on a TFC shirt in our club's history. He is a constant threat on the pitch. His control and technique is streets ahead of the majority of the league. DeRo is the only other name I can think of when it comes to their overall contribution to this club, and it wouldn't surprise me if Gio surpasses his accomplishments sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    Dempsey isn't even in the same league as Giovinco....Never has been....Even when he was at Fulham he was nothing to write home about. Fact is American football players are just SO overrated.

22 goals for a team that came 7th. Really notthat bad. Beside Howard at Everton, that Dempsey season was probably the biggest ever accomplishment by an american overseas. Dempsey is very good, and I wish he'd gone to liverpool instead of Tottenham. Would have been a very useful player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newest All-Star voting update has Giovinco moving from 3rd to 2nd in forward voting.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-voting-update

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that voting numbers are only in 4 figures just points out to me how little people who go to MLS games care about MLS as a whole.