Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    They would never be able to afford his salary.

I say small teams - but I really mean mid-bottom table teams.
    Newcastle United type teams. Teams with cash that are not the big 4 - 6 in a league.

I mean - who would've thought any team on this planet would take on Defoe and the money he was on - but alas - a bottom table team came along and made it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No on in the PL would take Giovinco. They'd all think he's too small.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Just a quick search online

Henry won it 5x in 2012
    Landycakes won it 4x in 2014 + 2008
    Wondo won it 4x in 2012
    Jeff Cuntingham won it 4x in 2009
    Wondo won it 3x in 2010
    Dero got it 3x in 2011
    Luciano Emilio - 3x in 2007
    Eddie Johnson - 3x in 2007
    Giovinco - 3x in 2015
    Most Player of the week awards in a season:
    Just copying this again to keep it top of mind.

If he has a decent game on Saturday - I don't see why he shouldn't get the damn thing again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now on Soccer Morning - Jason Davis reminds us that Giovinco had to work a deal to join up at the start of the season, otherwise he would have just be starting now. It makes me ill just thinking about it, all the goals that wouldn't have happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    No on in the PL would take Giovinco. They'd all think he's too small.
    I guess they would all turn down Messi too. Tottenham and arsenal were interested in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    I guess they would all turn down Messi too. Tottenham and arsenal were interested in him.
    in theory sure. The bigger clubs might think about taking him on as a luxury, a guy off the bench or a valuable squad player. The lesser teams in the PL would probably value him as their main offensive tool, and I don't think they would trust other teams not to kick the shit out of him. There's been enough guys over the last decade that have been literally kicked out of the league.

Messi's also not 5'2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in theory sure. The bigger clubs might think about taking him on as a luxury, a guy off the bench or a valuable squad player. The lesser teams in the PL would probably value him as their main offensive tool, and I don't think they would trust other teams not to kick the shit out of him. There's been enough guys over the last decade that have been literally kicked out of the league.

Messi's also not 5'2.
    Neither is Giovinco. He is 5'5.

If this sport was basketball, then height would have been an issue. Maradona and Messi says it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither is Giovinco. He is 5'5.

If this sport was basketball, then height would have been an issue. Maradona and Messi says it all.
    that's a very short 5'5.

Also, I'm not saying height necessarily matters. I'm saying those ingrained in English footballing culture would definitely have a problem with handing over the keys to a 28 year old who's 5'5 (5'2) and would probably cost a 100,000 a week. It's just not going to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you are saying that there is no team in the PL that would sign Seba ? Lol I'm sure Giovinco could walk into most top table teams with open arms. My argument is done.

that's a very short 5'5.

Also, I'm not saying height necessarily matters. I'm saying those ingrained in English footballing culture would definitely have a problem with handing over the keys to a 28 year old who's 5'5 (5'2) and would probably cost a 100,000 a week. It's just not going to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you are saying that there is no team in the PL that would sign Seba ? Lol I'm sure Giovinco could walk into most top table teams with open arms. My argument is done.
    im saying teams like Leicester and Sunderland and Aston Villa would not sign him. The tottenham's and Arsenal's and Liverpool's might, but still probably not.

I don't know why you think I'm saying he doesn't have the talent to be in those squads. I'm saying they still wouldn't sign him for reasons he can't control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/08...s-player-month

Giovinco named Player of the Month, first TFC player to ever win the honour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    He seems to really be enjoying himself in TO if you look at his Instagram account. He's taking care of his wife and his little boy. They are all set for life if he keeps his contract here. Never saw any stuff like this from Defoe. Plus you can see it on the pitch, he's here to win.

https://instagram.com/p/47qDj3Rn__/?...ovincoofficial
    is he married? I thought was just his baby momma

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The title of this thread may have seemed a bit premature in May, but Seba definitely seems to be in the conversation as the best MLS player ever:

“I was sitting with some officials from Orlando during the game and they turned to me and said that Giovinco is the best player this league has ever seen. I think they’re right. He’s the best, and he’s ours,” Tim Leiweke, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports, told this correspondent and another reporter in the locker-room after the game.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/giovi...-over-orlando/
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The title of this thread may have seemed a bit premature in May, but Seba definitely seems to be in the conversation as the best MLS player ever:

And don't take it from just our president: https://twitter.com/DougMacESPN/stat...08839221211136

He has a ways to go yet to have the best MLS career of all time, but best player at the time of playing in the league? It's not even a contest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it right from the start of the season that he is the most talented player the league has ever had in their prime, best ever is going to take a few season but there is no question in my mind he can reach it.

You see the fire, passion and desire to win, that's what you want from a player, I'm glad the lessons were learned from the Defoe debacle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    is he married? I thought was just his baby momma
    No he's married. He's a good Italian boy. You won't see much of it in the news though.

Giovinco says he really enjoys having a "quieter" life here in Canada where he can walk around without being attacked by news and media all the time.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 08-06-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. It was not premature.

When I seen Seba undress defenders week after week in May and also his ridiculous long range free kicks, was enough for me to know that he would quickly shoot to the top. He is obviously in a league of his own. Never seen anybody like him in MLS and we are very lucky to have a player of this caliber on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems to really be enjoying himself in TO if you look at his Instagram account. He's taking care of his wife and his little boy. They are all set for life if he keeps his contract here. Never saw any stuff like this from Defoe. Plus you can see it on the pitch, he's here to win.

https://instagram.com/p/47qDj3Rn__/?...ovincoofficial
    When people get worried about him leaving or pulling a Defoe I always think of his insta account. He cleary loves it here.

MLSE have done a good job hooking him up with the right people in the Italian-Canadian community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was telling my brother in law yesterday at the game...Seba loves the city. He gets passionate fans like Italy, who gives him privacy when he and his family go out for dinner or to different places! He would be swarmed if he was in Italy and on the production run he is on. In Toronto, fans if they see him, say hi great game, maybe take a pic, and then let him enjoy his time. Ultimate Work/Life Balance when it comes to athletes.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont have cable but does seba get much interview time on our sports channels?

I dont see him on any reg news channels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    And to think that originally he wasn't supposed to start the season here. He basically would've only been arriving around now.

True. I forgot about that.

That could have changed everything for the worst.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone takes Giovinco it'll be Monaco, they have the budget to come the closest to what we give him and were probably just behind us in the race for his signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No he's married. He's a good Italian boy. You won't see much of it in the news though.

Giovinco says he really enjoys having a "quieter" life here in Canada where he can walk around without being attacked by news and media all the time.
    That may change if he keeps this up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible there could be a 20 million pound transfer request from somewhere at the end of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think to yourself who from the premier league could replicate what he's done for tfc this year the list isn't much longer than 10 or 15 players. He is world class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's he worth to everybody hear? Interested to hear opinions.

personally I can see being valued at something around £12m

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    It's possible there could be a 20 million pound transfer request from somewhere at the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    What's he worth to everybody hear? Interested to hear opinions.

personally I can see being valued at something around £12m
    It's hard to know how much, guaranteed TFC will be offered silly money and refuse. Giovinco is worth more to TFC than to most teams in most leagues. He's a game-changer, and from a marketing standpoint brings in a lot of Serie A fans.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC would be stupid to sell him for any price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is priceless based on his age and skill. MSLE's problem is not money. If we could buy more DP spots then have at it haus.