0 Thread(s)

Giovinco: 'Happy with Italy and Toronto'

http://www.football-italia.net/74295...ly-and-toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonfiaLaRete View Post
    Played very well when he came on. Nice to see. Almost scored a super long range goal too. He is so much more comfortable taking risks on tough shots/plays now due do his skyrocket confidence.
    After the match he apparently played down Barcelona.

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/altre-notizie/italia-giovinco-la-maglia-azzurra-e-la-piu-importante-740515

"I just moved clubs, let me enjoy my new adventure."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly if Seba doesn't play today I don't think Italy wins.

Hits the post in back to back games.

Assists on the first goal, secondary assist on the 2nd goal (he set the cross field pass to unleash the play) gets an assist but has it called back due to offside. He was also given the #10 shirt today...

To top it off, texts TFC to let them know he wants to play.

What a fucking champ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing really matters until the window opens - unless he suddenly turns into a complete suck and hides out in London on weeks on end under the guise of being injured, not that I'm implying anything.

I like to believe his inclusion in the Italy squad validated things for him somewhat. It's a good story regardless of what happens this winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Nothing really matters until the window opens - unless he suddenly turns into a complete suck and hides out in London on weeks on end under the guise of being injured, not that I'm implying anything.

I like to believe his inclusion in the Italy squad validated things for him somewhat. It's a good story regardless of what happens this winter.
    My thoughts.. as long as Conte keeps calling him for Italy he will be 100% happy to stay in Toronto I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    My thoughts.. as long as Conte keeps calling him for Italy he will be 100% happy to stay in Toronto I think.
    Pragmatically - even if he goes we've just banked a shit load of goodwill. Finding someone who has the same impact will be difficult but the strench of a rotten club people try to stay clear off might be almost gone. We can legitimately say that he is better off for having played here - quite the accomplishment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prepare for a whirlwind of transfer rumors this winter. He's not just doing it at the MLS level anymore... legitimately one of the most in-form strikers in the world.

Good news is by all accounts he wants to be here and we want to keep him. Might even be kind of fun to see all the teams that want him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I don't think he expects to be picked by the National team and if he does, I don't think we would see him go back to Europe.
    If he gets picked to the Italian NT, it'll prove that playing in the MLS can get him to international success.

I also think Bradley, Altidore and the USMNT could play a big role in him staying here as well.
    If the USMNT can continue to excel on the world stage and beat big teams in meaningful games, not just friendlies - it'll show him that playing in the MLS can keep you match fit and ready for international play

The other part of why he wouldn't go is the quality of life in Toronto. he's a family man and this city plays really well for him to play football, get paid properly, live life like a baller hanging with Snoop Dogg and have a quiet family life all at the same time.
    Pragmatically - even if he goes we've just banked a shit load of goodwill. Finding someone who has the same impact will be difficult but the strench of a rotten club people try to stay clear off might be almost gone. We can legitimately say that he is better off for having played here - quite the accomplishment.
    Means zero to me if he's not doing his thing for some time to come with TFC. Replacing him would be immensely difficult and it would suggest we can't keep players that are too good. Maybe it would lead to something good in the future but maybe not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Prepare for a whirlwind of transfer rumors this winter. He's not just doing it at the MLS level anymore... legitimately one of the most in-form strikers in the world.

Good news is by all accounts he wants to be here and we want to keep him. Might even be kind of fun to see all the teams that want him.
    I think you are both right - happy here and not likely leaving. However, he did say this a couple of months ago:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle26063771/

“I’m happy to stay. This is a long-term project. But if Manchester City calls you? I don’t think it will happen. If they really wanted me, they would’ve asked me before. That’s being realistic. Of course, once something happens, you need to think about it. But I’m very happy here. I don’t think I’m going to leave.”
    Not really saying anything that should shock anyone - should a top quality club come in for him, he'd likely be tempted (and they would likely be paying in the range of what we do). Unlikely to happen now. To those clubs he's still a player that didn't cut it at the top. But if he keeps getting called up to the Azzuri, and especially if he gets into the Euro squad and performs, the potential for him to be gone next summer is there. Time will tell, that's a lot of stars to align.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    A loan deal could very well be a viable possibility - especially if he wants to stay on the National team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A loan deal could very well be a viable possibility - especially if he wants to stay on the National team.
    I'm going to be pissed if he goes on loan. He'd probably want to do this if he wants to be match fit for March int dates, but he's going to be tired and god help us if he picks up a serious injury on loan
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Arguably he has been better due to playing for TFC. First he has a lot of playing time, secondly he has built up a tonne of confidence tearing up MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm going to be pissed if he goes on loan. He'd probably want to do this if he wants to be match fit for March int dates, but he's going to be tired and god help us if he picks up a serious injury on loan
    I think you might be right, esp if he wants to start and not just be an impact sub for Italy. That's not a great Italian team by any means and I feel he is well capable of starting in that team. I don't want to see a loan myself but I could definetly see him being advised by national team to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    Means zero to me if he's not doing his thing for some time to come with TFC. Replacing him would be immensely difficult and it would suggest we can't keep players that are too good. Maybe it would lead to something good in the future but maybe not.
    Be realistic, what club in our situation would be able to hold onto the player? If we get a large cheque out of this it's not the worst outcome I've ever heard. Ultimately it's down to what he wants if a good offer comes in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm half joking her, but it is all vanneys work to get giovinco's confidence where its at. Giovinco is playing with world class confidence. He plays for 90 minutes thinking he's the best player on the pitch.

Vanneys (and MLSE) look like geniuses!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

There's a November friendly as well that we have to watchout for.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I think you might be right, esp if he wants to start and not just be an impact sub for Italy. That's not a great Italian team by any means and I feel he is well capable of starting in that team. I don't want to see a loan myself but I could definetly see him being advised by national team to do so.

I dunno about this - has this been confirmed anywhere cos I've heard it twice now.

Let's not forget how supportive Conte was of him coming to MLS - he even said it wouldn't hinder his chances at playing for the National team and we've already seen that it hasn't.

However on the flip side - he was only added to the National Team after they were well clear of advancing in the tournament.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Be realistic, what club in our situation would be able to hold onto the player? If we get a large cheque out of this it's not the worst outcome I've ever heard. Ultimately it's down to what he wants if a good offer comes in.
    And what we can bring in as well.

Toronto FC could end up being the team where players come to rejuvenate their careers - Defoe kinda did it - although he's got issues..maybe he's not a good example.

But Giovinco is doing it lol!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right - I'm not being realistic. But you also point out the real problem - the position our club (and league) is in. If we want TFC to get a lot better, it has to be able to hold on to good players. We're already getting bitten for aiming high with younger, prime-age DPs. Losing the allegedly best-ever player in MLS history has no upside in my books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what we can bring in as well.

Toronto FC could end up being the team where players come to rejuvenate their careers - Defoe kinda did it - although he's got issues..maybe he's not a good example.

But Giovinco is doing it lol!!
    I want players whose performances are notable for helping TFC win championships, not rejuvenating their own careers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want players whose performances are notable for helping TFC win championships, not rejuvenating their own careers.
    Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
    Yes, of course. But we really need to accomplish something significant in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens if the number of players of SG-level quality who seek to come to MLS increases substantially over the term of the current CBA? Obviously the teams who can take advantage of that (ie able to pay those market wages) will want to, and that might increase the pressure on MLS to rethink it's roster control mechanisms.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Designated Players. It's pretty much what the rule was invented for. The 2 can happen at the same time (championships and career boost from location change) and not ONLY that but bring up the level of the whole team in the best of times.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    What happens if the number of players of SG-level quality who seek to come to MLS increases substantially over the term of the current CBA? Obviously the teams who can take advantage of that (ie able to pay those market wages) will want to, and that might increase the pressure on MLS to rethink it's roster control mechanisms.
    You won't see an influx of those types of players outside of us, the galaxy, Slave owners FC, the new LA team, and maybe but probably not seattle and Orlando. No one else want's to spend that much. It'll be after 2020 and the next CBA deal when you're going to start seeing guys of Seba's quality on most if not all teams.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ya I agree. I mean, it's tough to say what a DP level player is coming to MLS for.

Bradley came here for the project, as well as first team minutes and to be closer to his national team. AnObvious one IMO

Giovinco - a little of both. He needed playing time and TFC gave him that. Everyone likes money and TFC gave him lots. I don't know if he came here to specifically for the TFC project...but he's a proper professional, I don't think he goes somewhere without wanting to win a championship.

One could argue Defoe was a player who came here not for a championship, but for many other selfish reason. To play for the English National team, to expand his global brand, for the money and fame.

Guys like Koevermans and Frings wanting to expand the life of their careers and settle in with their families - and also the money.

Then there are guys like JDG or Mista who can't go anywhere but MLS - but I feel like that is changing. I don't think those types of players can get into this league anymore. unless some dumb ass owner brings them in.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 10-14-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Player ratings from the Gazzetta Dello Sport vs. Norway. Under Seba's blurb: "Giovinco has us convinced."

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    You won't see an influx of those types of players outside of us, the galaxy, Slave owners FC, the new LA team, and maybe but probably not seattle and Orlando. No one else want's to spend that much. It'll be after 2020 and the next CBA deal when you're going to start seeing guys of Seba's quality on most if not all teams.
    That will really depend on the next media deal, too. It may not happen. Remember MLSE is owned by 2 media giants, so we have an exception to most of the rules.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto