Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Game 12 - Mr. Morrow Goes to Washington - @ DCU Saturday 7 pm Sportsnet

Tough game. No Bradley as he's off on USMNT duty. DCU is finding ways to win. Any result out of this will be a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC's playing mid week. Even without Bradley, now's a good chance to take points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That turf though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    That turf though
    ???

It's grass ..... or to be precise "Prescription Athletic Turf".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    ???

It's grass ..... or to be precise "Prescription Athletic Turf".

Oh oh that's good. I thought they still had turf there for a minute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    Oh oh that's good. I thought they still had turf there for a minute

If I'm not mistaken RFK has always been a grass pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probable starting lineup:

---------Giovinco-------------Moore----------
    ---------------------Osorio--------------------
    -----------Chapman------Creavalle----------
    -------------------Cheyrou--------------------
    ---Morgan---Zavaleta---Perquis---Morrow--
    ------------------Konopka---------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post

Do you think Vanney may switch back to the 4-4-2 in an effort to make up for the fact we don't have Bradley and play a much more defensive minded match?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post
    Do you think Vanney may switch back to the 4-4-2 in an effort to make up for the fact we don't have Bradley and play a much more defensive minded match?
    I hope not. We have decent pieces to the possess and create chances through the middle. I think it's time to develop some sort of identity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope not. We have decent pieces to the possess and create chances through the middle. I think it's time to develop some sort of identity.
    a lot of that relies on Giovinco and Bradley making smart runs and feeding off each other to keep opposition defence unbalanced. Without Bradley, Giovinco becomes more easily contained and TFC has no real good back up for Bradley and what he can do
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    a lot of that relies on Giovinco and Bradley making smart runs and feeding off each other to keep opposition defence unbalanced. Without Bradley, Giovinco becomes more easily contained and TFC has no real good back up for Bradley and what he can do
    Oso should be given a shot in this role. It's his best position and he has shown some really good touches lately

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your point PopePouri but I personally feel being able to switch tactics and formations to compensate for our weaknesses and the play of our opponents is slightly more important then establishing a formational identity. Yohan is correct in that without Bradley, Gio will have to adapt and work harder to find opportunities. A flatter 4-4-2 might give us a better chance at containing DC's attack and allow us to play a counter attack style that would allow Gio the opportunity to catch DC's CBs in more advantageous positions for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously the question marks are Oso and Chapman, but Oso found Gio a lot with good through balls in the last game (he got the secondary assist) and Chapman is a similar player to Oso. I think there's enough creativity with Oso, Gio, Cheyrou and Chapman to break down DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be better to play Chapman in the middle and Osorio on the left. He has played well there this year. Think of all the balls he's sent through to Giovinco from the left side against San Jose.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be a fun day of footy beginging with the Champions League Final. Then at 6 pm the Candian Women open up the World Cup followed by the Reds-DCU at 7 pm. I will most likely give the women my attention until their game is over before tuning in to the Reds. Will be a fun day indeed.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Warner can return with Bradley out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed to a point - we should absolutely adapt to our opponent, particularly on the road. That said, a 4-4-2 doesn't maximize our best assert, Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Agreed to a point - we should absolutely adapt to our opponent, particularly on the road. That said, a 4-4-2 doesn't maximize our best assert, Giovinco.
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding something but I'm pretty sure we have been playing 4-4-2 the last few games with Bradley at the top of a diamond midfield. So why does a 4-4-2 not maximize Giovinco?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding something but I'm pretty sure we have been playing 4-4-2 the last few games with Bradley at the top of a diamond midfield. So why does a 4-4-2 not maximize Giovinco?
    Sorry, flat 4-4-2 versus diamond 4-4-2 was what I understood we were debating. I was using 4-4-2 to mean flat. Some are saying 4-1-2-1-2 to describe the diamond also.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 06-02-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, flat 4-4-2 versus diamond 4-4-2 was what I understood we were debating. I was using 4-4-2 to mean flat. Some are saying 4-1-2-1-2 to describe the diamond also.
    OK, understood, no worries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As anto says below, we are already playing 4-4-2 or as Yohan probably more correctly put it 4-1-3-1-1, I meant playing a flatter 4-4-2 which would allow us to better absorb the DC attack, clog the midfield as well as take more pressure off our back line and hit on the counter.

Not the most glamorous formation or tactic but we need to do whatever it takes to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

����
    Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post
    As anto says below, we are already playing 4-4-2 or as Yohan probably more correctly put it 4-1-3-1-1, I meant playing a flatter 4-4-2 which would allow us to better absorb the DC attack, clog the midfield as well as take more pressure off our back line and hit on the counter.

Not the most glamorous formation or tactic but we need to do whatever it takes to win.
    Yeah I figured the flat 4-4-2 is what you were talking about, kind of like what we had when we played Cheyrou and Bradley along side each other in the middle. Personally I would still keep the diamond and put Osario at the top of the point and continue with Cheyrou at the base where he has been doing so well. If Warner is available I would bring him back on one side of the diamond.

With all due respects to Yohan I do not agree with his formation since that does not suggest a diamond midfield which is what we have been playing. It would also suggest Giovinco is part of the midfield with Moore on his own up front. I think Giovinco is playing up front although he does drop deep a lot to receive the ball.
    if anything the formation is 4-1-2-1-2 but in reality that's just 4-4-2 at the end of the day.
    And it doesn't really matter what we call it as long as it's working ��

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post

With all due respects to Yohan I do not agree with his formation since that does not suggest a diamond midfield which is what we have been playing. It would also suggest Giovinco is part of the midfield with Moore on his own up front. I think Giovinco is playing up front although he does drop deep a lot to receive the ball.
    if anything the formation is 4-1-2-1-2 but in reality that's just 4-4-2 at the end of the day.
    And it doesn't really matter what we call it as long as it's working ��
    it's a hybrid formation because Giovinco and Bradley drops deep so often. because of this, I thought 4-1-3-1-1 explains better than 4-4-2 diamond.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a hybrid formation because Giovinco and Bradley drops deep so often. because of this, I thought 4-1-3-1-1 explains better than 4-4-2 diamond.
    Good point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The front two would normally be described as a duo, not him offset, as he doesn't drop into the hole constantly, he plays high up more often and gets the ball in the wide channel between the mid and winger. So it's a 4-1-3-2.

I personally think it's more a 4-1-2-1-2, a diamond. Giovinco doesn't drop that often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the title, this will be the lineup:

Morrow

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    According to the title, this will be the lineup:

Morrow

Ummm......Movie reference

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ummm......Movie reference

seriously though, i don't expect much from this match. DC united have been in incredible form at home.
    the only positives i can see at the moment are when i take a look at their injury list:

OUT: F Fabian Espindola
    OUT: F Luis Silva
    OUT: M Nick DeLeon
    OUT: M Michael Farfan

that's a good chunk of their teams firepower. not to mention the fact that they barely grinded out a win against philly.
    if we get a draw, i'd be absolutely thrilled.

Last edited by __wowza; 06-01-2015 at 03:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post

seriously though, i don't expect much from this match. DC united have been in incredible form at home.
    the only positives i can see at the moment are when i take a look at their injury list:

OUT: F Fabian Espindola
    OUT: F Luis Silva
    OUT: M Nick DeLeon
    OUT: M Michael Farfan

that's a good chunk of their teams firepower. not to mention the fact that they barely grinded out a win against philly.
    if we get a draw, i'd be absolutely thrilled.

that's the thing. DCU hasn't been very good, but they've been grinding out points. better lucky than good, I suppose

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're unbeaten at home this season though. It's going to be very difficult.