Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers7 View Post
    None of us are old enough to know but I'm going to go with my gut feeling and say 'hack' was used LLLOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGG before in hockey which was my initial point of saying it was a hockey term not a soccer term.

I don't care if that's what anyone wants to call it really. Just this here, now, today is the first time I've heard anyone say 'hack' and use it in soccer or futbol.
    Your gut feeling is pretty bias coming from watching a hell of a lot more hockey in Canada.

Not that that has anything to do with how relevant a term is.

This is about as necessary as the origin of the term football convo I'm sure we'll get to - like every other year.

Anyway - bigups for calling Sepp for us. That was funny.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Your gut feeling is pretty bias coming from watching a hell of a lot more hockey in Canada.

Not that that has anything to do with how relevant a term is.

This is about as necessary as the origin of the term football convo I'm sure we'll get to - like every other year.

Anyway - bigups for calling Sepp for us. That was funny.

Buddy wanted to think he was funny, so I thought that was pretty damn creative if you ask me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The term that makes me roll my eyes is "shut-out"... but when game commentators and players (Bendik!!!) use it, I start yelling "clean sheet! CLEAN SHEET!" at the telly!

Lately, in the past few weeks, when watching those MLS Live condensed games, I've heard one of the commentators keep using "...was offsideS". Argh!

Ugh, even while I'm yelling about it, I know its useless to get riled up...but I do. Sigh

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
    The term that makes me roll my eyes is "shut-out"... but when game commentators and players (Bendik!!!) use it, I start yelling "clean sheet! CLEAN SHEET!" at the telly!

Lately, in the past few weeks, when watching those MLS Live condensed games, I've heard one of the commentators keep using "...was offsideS". Argh!

Ugh, even while I'm yelling about it, I know its useless to get riled up...but I do. Sigh
    I can handle "shutout", as that is a common North American term for not allowing the opposition to score, but "offsides" is wrong in every sport that uses that term and I agree, it's annoying. There are no "offsides" in hockey or American football, either.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I can handle "shutout", as that is a common North American term for not allowing the opposition to score, but "offsides" is wrong in every sport that uses that term and I agree, it's annoying. There are no "offsides" in hockey or American football, either.
    how they hell do you use offsides?

and GO RAVENS! ??

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

and GO RAVENS! ??
    Some of the commentators on MLS Live use it. As in: "the linesman calls 'offsides' on Toronto FC"

It's cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone ever experience people say for a hockey or soccer game that we scored 'points' NO its GOALS! lol you score points in basketball and football and score runs in baseball

GET IT RIGHT! lol

I like the term offsides lol
    same with hookings, trippings, and sprinkle a bit of slashings too with a cherry of interfearences too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and GO RAVENS! ??

lol we'll see.

edit - are you actually a Ravens fan?
    Last edited by Steelers7; 06-01-2015 at 01:18 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anyone ever experience people say for a hockey or soccer game that we scored 'points' NO its GOALS! lol you score points in basketball and football and score runs in baseball

GET IT RIGHT! lol

I like the term offsides lol
    same with hookings, trippings, and sprinkle a bit of slashings too with a cherry of interfearences too
    What about hackings and divings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about hackings and divings?

well done sir, well done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope, grew up a cowboys fan. then stopped watching NFL for the longest time. If i had to choose a preference, i would actually choose the steelers. But the black and yellow song takes a few points away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the commentators on MLS Live use it. As in: "the linesman calls 'offsides' on Toronto FC"

It's cringeworthy.
    thats just poor gramar all around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope, grew up a cowboys fan. then stopped watching NFL for the longest time. If i had to choose a preference, i would actually choose the steelers. But the black and yellow song takes a few points away.
    I don't mind Romo who gets shit on a lot, but other than Witten he's had no one for the longest time. Until now with Dez coming into his own.

lol not the best tune but when you're at a game it kinda gets you jacked just because lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hacked? this isn't hockey or lacrosse you can't get 'hacked' in a game where there is no 'hacking' or way to 'hack' someone.

I've seen at least a handful of times if not more this season already where he gets 'hacked' as you say and it WASN'T even close. And on 3 or 4 of those times he rolled around on the 'pitch' looking for a call and the ref ignored him.

There was one in the Quakes game 2nd half just outside the Quakes box he got 'hacked' ref says play on right away he pops up puts his hands out and does the 'ca'mon ref' and chirps him. I don't care how good he is I wouldn't call that shit either.
    Profuse apologies at the imprecision of my language. By "hacked" I mean kicked, grabbed, held, elbowed, kneed, pushed, tugged, leaned on, fouled. I will certainly endeavour to be more precise in the future.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright now that we have terminology settled...

How bout that Seba?

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Alright now that we have terminology settled...

How bout that Seba?

Excellent player.
    Impressive how he can turn a guy inside out with ease and give himself another 2 seconds to either take a crack on net or make a great pass to set up a great chance/bag a goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't like that flopping shit plain and simple.

If diving is his way of protecting himself by your definition then ok so be it...but I wouldn't give him any calls because of blatant diving. Not just him but anyone.
    I'm glad he's on TFC, when did I say I wasn't?
    Welcome to MLS. Defending is an art that is not well known here and the defenders resort to bonehead tackles and are far too aggressive. If I'm Seba I will fall at any excessive contact (nearly every challenge for MLS standards), and the reason is, these guys (MLS) don't know how to time their tackles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

totally forgot.

Halftime.

I'm headed to the pisser under 114. Right up against the support beam is this couple of maybe mid 40's, possibly Latino....couple? Guy had long wavy hair to his shoulder. He was just going to town on her somewhat exposed tits. Making snarling noises. I walked right by and didn't notice until I was right in passing, where I was cut off, so had to pause a second and we saw eye to eye for a moment. Shit was weird as hell.

Anyone else see that? Good times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    totally forgot.

Halftime.

I'm headed to the pisser under 114. Right up against the support beam is this couple of maybe mid 40's, possibly Latino....couple? Guy had long wavy hair to his shoulder. He was just going to town on her somewhat exposed tits. Making snarling noises. I walked right by and didn't notice until I was right in passing, where I was cut off, so had to pause a second and we saw eye to eye for a moment. Shit was weird as hell.

Anyone else see that? Good times.
    Was he floppin or hackin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    The bolded part is essentially what Seba was facing most of the game.

The reason why Moore got his goal was because no one was covering him. He ran in uncontested. and knocked the ball in.
    I guess being invisible to the point that no one bothers to cover you is his game plan.
    In fairness to Moore, he got to where he needed to be. He got to where Seba needed to put that ball. He was able to make a late run and was able to cut inside the CB putting himself into position to pot Seba's wonderful pass.

It wasn't uncontested. He beat his man with an intelligent run. Players with experience can do that even if they aren't the second coming of Thierry Henry.

Did the defender make a mistake, ya, sure, he needed to do better and I'm sure Kinnear told him so as would have his goalkeeper but on virtually every goal ever scored, somebody hasn't done their job well enough. Mistakes happen and goals result. It is the job of the attackers to capitalize on those defensive mistakes and make them pay. Moore did that and I give him credit for it. How boring would this (or any other) sport be if nobody ever made mistakes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Welcome to MLS. Defending is an art that is not well known here and the defenders resort to bonehead tackles and are far too aggressive. If I'm Seba I will fall at any excessive contact (nearly every challenge for MLS standards), and the reason is, these guys (MLS) don't know how to time their tackles.
    ... and just as often he's fouled and the refs don't call anything. I'd bet it evens out in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

Agreed. I hate when guys get hacked in the box and there's no call.