Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLSE almost ready to name new President and CEO

Wonder who this will be and how much interest they have in soccer. It's a big act to follow after Tim's stay in town. Seems. There may still be some debate going on within the dysfunctional boardroom, man this really is circus.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...click=sf_globe

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if the new president doesn't like Babcock... LOL...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure this new president and CEO will be a hockey guy to fix Leafs so Rogers can make money off their TV deal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I am sure this new president and CEO will be a hockey guy to fix Leafs so Rogers can make money off their TV deal.
    used to work at rogers, got an inside account of all of this.

STORY TIME FOLKS!!

most of it had to do with the rogers gamecenter. they centered it around the bright idea that people wanted to watch hockey on their tablets and computers instead of.. wait for it.. on their TV! or at a bar! the two places you'd most likely want to watch hockey. the commercials showed folks walking around their house watching hockey on their tablets, watching a game on their phone on the bus, without taking into account that hockey fans would most likely be watching at home, at a bar, or at a friends.

games were also incredibly cumbersome to stream. a full game in HD on your computer would've been 2 - 4 gigs. you watch the leafs every saturday, that's 16 gigs on hockey for games you would most likely be watching on your TV. the whole thing was $299.99 for the entire season (not including internet usage costs), for every game (excluding blackouts) with replays (which you could watch if you had a PVR). two weeks into the campaign they dropped the price. a week after that it was free for the entire season minus the playoffs. a week after that it was completely free.. AND PEOPLE STILL DIDN'T WANT IT. why? because families were worried about their bandwidth being exceeded, and they really didn't think they'd remember to cancel it for the next year. we had to answer phones with "rogers plus, home of rogers gamecenter your new home for hockey!", and slide it into every conversation we had with a customer. we had hockey themed uniforms and stores with specific sections to look like a hockey rink, and it STILL didn't sell. it was all pretty embarrassing.

so you pair all of that with the heavy ad campaign (you must've seen the commercials, the bus ads, billboards, etc) and the company ate shit.

i can't tell you how much they banked on this being the "evolution" of how people watch hockey in this country, but it it was a considerable amount.
    look at it this way.. closer to the end of the holidays they gave stores the ED to release the bottom 2 sellers from each store in canada to recoup the loss, and they were still down 19% in earnings for the quarter OVER THE HOLIDAYS (ie: when people buy the most shit).

so yeah.. it was a pretty massive fuckup to say the least.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I bet the genius executives that pushed that one make many times the average Rogers employees wage, because they are supposedly "talent," whereas the ordinary employees who could quickly see it wasn't working are just "resources."

Business leaders are getting excessively excited about using phones when they aren't the best choice. Very few people fly using their ticket on their phone. People aren't tapping their phones at the checkout, and MLS Live is way better on a computer screen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never understood the idea of pushing sports on phones and tablets. Who has ever watched a live hockey game on their phone?! I get that for Rogers, it'd be a fantastic "synergy" (just threw up a little in my mouth) of their various services, but you can't force people to do something they have no utility for, through sheer will of advertising.

You might get a few people to watch some pivotal playoff game on a city bus or something, but it'll never be widespread.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They looked at all the people streaming the Olympics in Vancouver and out of London and all the people streaming World Cup matches and thought in a hockey mad country we'd of course all pay to watch.

Met reality of "Do I really want to go over my bandwith to watch San Jose vs. Nashville on a Thursday night?".

Big bet gone bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I streamed the Olympics and WC at work because I really had no choice....but while at home, I will watch sports on a 50"+ HDTV, 11 times out of 10.......never on a crappy cell phone screen.....its baffling to think how they would see things otherwise......

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I'm sure they've found out is that regular season games are an event because they make you stop and be somewhere for awhile. They are lengthier than an Olympic event or a tournament that one needs to catch up on.

This tablet or phone function should be a limited time offer for playoffs or tournaments when people don't have time to watch at home or the pub a games length at a time.

Anyway, I'm sure I won't recognize or get to follow most of the moves made by the next schmuck they get. But if I had to guess it'll be a side mouth talking big promiser or a fast talking, saying nothing snake oil seller.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ach im worried about this. For all the issues we've had with TL and the Argos, its been predominantly good and we know where he stands re: TFC

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Wonder who this will be and how much interest they have in soccer. It's a big act to follow after Tim's stay in town. Seems. There may still be some debate going on within the dysfunctional boardroom, man this really is circus.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...click=sf_globe
    Our first real tip off to how messed up all this is this week alone - Bell and Larry T buying a team to bail them out of another partners stables - only to have it put awkwardly into some weird bastard child portfolio and then get their thunder taken away by a surprise manager appointment.

Things are embarrassingly bad for all involved in that mess.

Here we thought the teachers pension plan was bad.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Business leaders are getting excessively excited about using phones when they aren't the best choice. Very few people fly using their ticket on their phone. People aren't tapping their phones at the checkout, and MLS Live is way better on a computer screen.
    Maybe it's just the demographic I am around but I find it very uncommon for people under 30 to have anything but a plane ticket on their phone. I wouldn't be surprised if payments took off at some point (I work for a bank).

I get your point though, there is a limit to how much people want to use their phone. Why would anyone want to look at a small tablet / phone screen when they could be watching on a larger surface? Some people have a warped idea of how far to take tech and if inevitably fails.

In the end these cable companies know their revenue stream is dying so they are trying hard to wrap up content. Unfortunately if history is any guide, they'll find out that 100% of the value is in the content and pretty much none is in the distribution channel. The long term synergistic value of MLSE to Bogers looks questionable to me.

It'd be easy at some point for the sports leagues out there to determine they get more of the pie by offering something direct(without blackouts -restrictions) and all of a sudden any new cable deal looks a lot less lucrative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Never understood the idea of pushing sports on phones and tablets. Who has ever watched a live hockey game on their phone?! I get that for Rogers, it'd be a fantastic "synergy" (just threw up a little in my mouth) of their various services, but you can't force people to do something they have no utility for, through sheer will of advertising.

You might get a few people to watch some pivotal playoff game on a city bus or something, but it'll never be widespread.
    No, but the tradition in Canada has always been to control it at the source so that if people do want it they din't have any choices. Our media companies have never really done anything to create demand they just ride on what's there. They don't make their own shows they just buy American shows and in this case Rogers was hoping to cash in on the demand that they felt already existed for hockey and they overestimated it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Our first real tip off to how messed up all this is this week alone - Bell and Larry T buying a team to bail them out of another partners stables - only to have it put awkwardly into some weird bastard child portfolio and then get their thunder taken away by a surprise manager appointment.

Things are embarrassingly bad for all involved in that mess.

Here we thought the teachers pension plan was bad.
    teachers pension plan had one goal, big secure ROI for the teachers pension. They achieved that and got out at the peak. They never made any promises beyond that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe it's just the demographic I am around but I find it very uncommon for people under 30 to have anything but a plane ticket on their phone. I wouldn't be surprised if payments took off at some point (I work for a bank).

I get your point though, there is a limit to how much people want to use their phone. Why would anyone want to look at a small tablet / phone screen when they could be watching on a larger surface? Some people have a warped idea of how far to take tech and if inevitably fails.

In the end these cable companies know their revenue stream is dying so they are trying hard to wrap up content. Unfortunately if history is any guide, they'll find out that 100% of the value is in the content and pretty much none is in the distribution channel. The long term synergistic value of MLSE to Bogers looks questionable to me.

It'd be easy at some point for the sports leagues out there to determine they get more of the pie by offering something direct(without blackouts -restrictions) and all of a sudden any new cable deal looks a lot less lucrative.
    Agreed, if MLSE was their own entity, they could easily prop up a bunch of free over the air antennas, a you tube channel / live stream app, hook up with netflix and distribute their own in house channel and take it a bigger piece of the pie.

Its nice to see rogers stupidly low bandwidth cap bite them in their own arse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLSE Bell-Rogers divorce proceedings, when they inevitably happen, will be out of this world.

It will be entertaining but probably will not be good for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The MLSE Bell-Rogers divorce proceedings, when they inevitably happen, will be out of this world.

TFC, Raptors, BMO to Bell. Marlies, Leafs, ACC to Rogers. That's how I'd split the kids. They'll probably wait until Tannenbaum dies before doing so.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do watch a lot of TV on my tablet. MLS live, too. That's partly because I like to smoke my pipe while watching, so I have to sit on the balcony , but also because we don't have cable.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I do watch a lot of TV on my tablet. MLS live, too. That's partly because I like to smoke my pipe while watching, so I have to sit on the balcony , but also because we don't have cable.
    Do you get all the TFC games with MLS Live?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First year with MLS Live, we've had TFC on for every MLS away game. No idea about home games, cause we're at those games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Do you get all the TFC games with MLS Live?
    I use Unblock-us and set my DSN to America. This way I get all the TFC games with no Black-Out

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostKiller View Post
    I use Unblock-us and set my DSN to America. This way I get all the TFC games with no Black-Out
    This doesn't always work for me on the iPad. On Apple TV it is no longer supported, which sucks. On the PC, it works every time, so I use AirParrot to send my screen to the Apple TV and watch on the big TV.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Live was supposed to die in the States this season and run in Canada only for one year. They brought it back due to Univision not being ready to stream, IIRC.

The MLS TV contract for Canada is up after this season. I suspect they will try to tie MLS streaming to being a Bell or Rogers customer like they are planning to do in the States - that will fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This doesn't always work for me on the iPad. On Apple TV it is no longer supported, which sucks. On the PC, it works every time, so I use AirParrot to send my screen to the Apple TV and watch on the big TV.
    Thanks, sounds like we have the same set-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    MLS Live was supposed to die in the States this season and run in Canada only for one year. They brought it back due to Univision not being ready to stream, IIRC.

The MLS TV contract for Canada is up after this season. I suspect they will try to tie MLS streaming to being a Bell or Rogers customer like they are planning to do in the States - that will fail.
    What do you mean by fail? Have any non-Bell or Rogers customers signed up for Shomi or Crave online? Those are even available for AppleTV but you have to be a Rogers cable or Bell Fibe subscriber. It's ridiculous, really, but it's the way they operate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post

Originally I was thinking the same way too, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that the divorce will see a sale of TFC to an independent owner. While this will mean less spending etc on large instant success talent, perhaps that would be a good thing in the long run, to build out the team first then add a DP or 2 to push us over the top. One thing for sure will happen, a new independent owner will not look too kindly on sharing a pitch with the Argonothings.

Anyhoo, one can dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not asure about apple

but androids have a gps setting in the deveoper options, you click that, then download an app like FakeGPS

it tells the phone your somewhere else, I dont even use a vpnr / dns changer on the tablet or phone.

i mirror it with the chromecast ($40) if i want to see it on my tv

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    not asure about apple

but androids have a gps setting in the deveoper options, you click that, then download an app like FakeGPS

it tells the phone your somewhere else, I dont even use a vpnr / dns changer on the tablet or phone.

i mirror it with the chromecast ($40) if i want to see it on my tv
    apple is the same but its gotta be jailbroken, i hate apple shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ no blackouts suck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Also subscriptions. I wish I could buy them one game at a time.