Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    All our eggs are in one basket. We have no depth, no Plan B, whatsoever.

I'd hate to see the world through your eyes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I know Pop has taken starters out of games before, but that's when he knew the outcome was no longer in doubt, or when he wanted to not risk them in pointless games before the playoffs. If they were in a dogfight for a playoff berth, I can't imagine he would sit Duncan, if Duncan was cleared to play.
    It's not 100% clear whether he could have played

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012...njury-pays-off
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did we sign Moore is a question we all need to ask. From 2011 to 2015 Luke Moore has only scored 14 goals.. We signed him after he was coming off back to back seasons without a goal 14 goals in 5 years of playing pro soccer. now this is the guy we have to depend on for Goals SMH. The real question we need to ask is can Hamilton really do any worst ?
    Last edited by TorontoFC6fan; 05-16-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I'd hate to see the world through your eyes.
    Well, you'd be missing out. I manage assets for a living, have done it for decades.

I am not some kid with a Jedi Warrior lunch box making speeches.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I personally don't buy the NFL is different than soccer argument for injury. I think more study is needed. Running is running. Pivoting is pivoting. Stopping and accelerating are stopping and accelerating.

But even if there is a difference, academic studies don't support an increased risk for soccer. For example:

CONCLUSION: High-quality studies support an increased rate of ACL injury on synthetic playing surfaces in football, but there is no apparent increased risk in soccer. Further study is needed to clarify the reason for this apparent discrepancy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25164575/
    As for soccer injuries being more prevalent on turf, it isn't. A major meta analysis of soccer injuries on turf vs grass concluded that there is no increased risk for playing and training on turf and in some cases it looks as though it may be safer.

http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com...tural.html?m=1

The biggest factor appears to be the choice of "cleat". Our perception is that it is an increased risk but that isn't validated by the evidence.
    Last edited by Pookie; 05-16-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I don't buy the NFL is different than soccer argument for injury. Running is running. Pivoting is pivoting. Stopping and accelerating are stopping and accelerating. And academic studies don't either. For example:

As for soccer injuries being more prevalent on turf, it isn't. A major meta analysis of soccer injuries on turf vs grass concluded that there is no increased risk for playing and training on turf and in some cases it looks as though it may be safer.

The biggest factor appears to be the choice of "cleat".
    Bingo.

Fact is, Altidore tweaks his hammy with semi-regularity. He misses part of almost every season with a small muscle pull of one sort of another. GIven that he walked off, that's probably all this is, a precautionary removal to avoid aggravating a longstanding issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you'd be missing out. I manage assets for a living, have done it for decades.

I am not some kid with a Jedi Warrior lunch box making speeches.

Wasn't saying you weren't intelligent or bringing up points that could could be well debated. You just seem jaded, perhaps after all those decades.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't saying you weren't intelligent or bringing up points that could could be well debated. You just seem jaded, perhaps after all those decades.
    Do you think the team has depth? Do you think they have a plan B?

Instead of just calling him jaded and lamenting the way he sees the world, push back against what he actually said, and prove it.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy Altidore ‏@JozyAltidore 39m39 minutes ago Great point on the road, well done to the boys to rally from a goal down! Thank you for your kind messages. I will be back soon

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone on here said in the past. We blew our load on 3 big players and our depth is USL level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the way the team played tonight. Especially in the second half. TFC lost their legs in the last 10 minutes. Great games by Giovinco, Bradley, Charou. Honourable mention to Warner and Osorio. Osorio is good offensively but a real liability on defense. Haglund needs to be on the bench and Moore needs to be replaced. The loss of Altidore not good for the team at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would only suggest any criticism is somewhat premature until we know the nature of the injury. Even then, sitting Jozy Altidore because we think he's too precious for turf when half of the league has turf fields strikes me as a poor long-term strategy. I would agree we don't really have a plan b, but it's somewhat impossible to have a plan b for a $6-M striker. A guy who played multiple seasons as a premier league starter, has a history as a hold up forward and scored six goals in less than a season for us isn't a bad third attacker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the New England Patriots have some very expensive Ferraris. Is the track really that much of an issue? As far as turf goes, this isn't the plastic pitch of BMO's early days.
    The raptors don't worry much about their basketball players players playing on hardwood either but that doesn't mean you can play soccer on it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoFC6fan View Post
    As someone on here said in the past. We blew our load on 3 big players and our depth is USL level.
    If you bothered to watch USL, you'd know that's not true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If you bothered to watch USL, you'd know that's not true.
    It's more fun to run around in circles with your hair on fire.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't buy the NFL is different than soccer argument for injury. I think more study is needed. Running is running. Pivoting is pivoting. Stopping and accelerating are stopping and accelerating.

But even if there is a difference, academic studies don't support an increased risk for soccer. For example:

The biggest factor appears to be the choice of "cleat". Our perception is that it is an increased risk but that isn't validated by the evidence.
    i just googled "NFL turf injuries." Seems it's a big topic of conversation and has been since the beginning of artificial turf 1973, apparently). But NFL players have very little say in the league and nowhere else to play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    i just googled "NFL turf injuries." Seems it's a big topic of conversation and has been since the beginning of artificial turf 1973, apparently). But NFL players have very little say in the league and nowhere else to play.
    They could always petition McMahon to bring back the XFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So NE should get the home advanatage of nobody playing their Dp's on their field then? assuming all coaches and Gm's do their jobs?

Exactly. This is the default scenario for the moment.

If the league wants to improve, make real grass mandatory, raise the cap significantly, and hire better and more expensive referees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think the team has depth? Do you think they have a plan B?

Instead of just calling him jaded and lamenting the way he sees the world, push back against what he actually said, and prove it.
    I meant it in a playful way. I often have disagreements with esco and the majority of the of them are insightful for both sides (hopefully).

But, I do think the team has a bit of depth in certain positions, and Vanney's willingness to adapt tactically indicates our ability to change things mid-game when things aren't working. I don't think he's gotten a tactical shift wrong, even to the extent that it's more likely that he get's things not totally right fromt he outset and adapts well in the second half. It's happened on multiple occasions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All our eggs are in one basket. We have no depth, no Plan B, whatsoever.
    Fair, but realistically that's more about paying guys like Caldwell, Findley, and Cheyrou more than your average player and some poor scouting than it is about our DPs holding us back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Exactly. This is the default scenario for the moment.

If the league wants to improve, make real grass mandatory, raise the cap significantly, and hire better and more expensive referees.
    Easier said than done, with the except of the referees, which could probably be solved in a single season if they really cared enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easier said than done, with the except of the referees, which could probably be solved in a single season if they really cared enough.
    I feel as long as the teams Garber wants to win win the ref situation won't get better

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's more fun to run around in circles with your hair on fire.
    Lololol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good
    Konopka: Man of the match for me, really coming into his own after a few shaky starts.
    Cheyrou: Settled in quite well as a number 6 and made good plays all game.
    Bradley: Tip of the diamond seems to be his best position. He needs to be involved with our attack and not run around all over the field.

Bad
    Hagglund: He consistently ends up on the wrong side of the attacker, always a mistake waiting to happen with him. We badly need to sign a CB.
    Morrow: Not at all comfortable on the right. Can't remember the last time he put in a decent cross. Once Bloom comes back we need to move Morrow back to left (unfortunately for Morgan who's been playing well).
    Moore: Doesn't add much of anything. All his minutes should go to Hamilton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So teams should bend over when playing there? I get your reasoning, I know the "Turf monster" is a real thing, but common this is on the league.

Teams have to play players when they think it will be a competitive advantage, we cant have teams afraid of playing their best.

MLS needs to rectify these issues.

Agreed.

This is a serious league issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Leg injuries are common, and the turf is a hazard, but on it, players need to prepare differently and ought to be wearing appropriate boots. TFC is losing because the team is grossly overrated. Bradley has shown nothing, Laba was a better midfielder. Govinco is brilliant, but cannot win on his own. Altidore is decent, but does not stand out amongst his MLS peers. Every other TFC player is below average. Hence, the inconsistency and mediocrity that we have grown accustomed to.
    Happy to call you out on that Chevy. Our roster stands up pretty well against most.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-16-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The raptors don't worry much about their basketball players players playing on hardwood either but that doesn't mean you can play soccer on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi RPB forum, first post, but have followed the team since the beginning(and the forum for a bit too).

Just felt inspired to post this tonight, as I thought the boys played a great game, against a strong opponent in the NER! This is almost exactly the way I was imagining it(win or lose) when we made the signings that we did. I thought the football looked great, better than it has looked in a long long time. I really enjoyed the movement of the ball, the passes being completed, and the pressure they applied to NE. They looked very organized, and dangerous for a lot of the game and I hardly remember a pass to nobody that just rolls out of bounds that has been a little too frequent with this team over the years. This was nice on the eyes, even had we lost, and that is what I want to see. Skill was evident, patience and control seemed...uh...not like our typical game perhaps. Its hard to not think about how Jozy would have impacted the outcome, but none the less I am pleased at the performance. The only criticism I have for the game are the usual concerns, and that is our CB situation(and maybe a winger). Unfortunately, Hagglund is continually exposed and will cost the team valuable points. I am aware there is no other option(and Caldwell might not be either when he returns), but it could be the difference in making the playoffs, or not. Also, I think this formation and player selection(with Altidor) is the exact one we use every game possible! Everybody does what they should, and compliment each other perfectly! It was so obvious tonight. I wonder why(this is of course not common in football) Vanney would not have seen out the game with the starting roster. Might sound crazy, but when the matchup is working so well, and the boys are controlling the play, I think you stick with them! I saw a swing in possession, control and comfort once the subs were made, which tells me NE took advantage of the new match ups. They were subbed in the 80th minute...whats another 13 to see out the game! Oso played the best i've seen him as well!
    Anyways, sorry for making this so long, I just kept going!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    Perquis was and is a lone man at the back with Hagglund

Man how we could use a decent Cb to partner Perquis

can getting Glik from Torino be a dream??
    Don't make me start dreaming of something that will never happen!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    Hi RPB forum, first post, but have followed the team since the beginning(and the forum for a bit too).

Just felt inspired to post this tonight, as I thought the boys played a great game, against a strong opponent in the NER! This is almost exactly the way I was imagining it(win or lose) when we made the signings that we did. I thought the football looked great, better than it has looked in a long long time. I really enjoyed the movement of the ball, the passes being completed, and the pressure they applied to NE. They looked very organized, and dangerous for a lot of the game and I hardly remember a pass to nobody that just rolls out of bounds that has been a little too frequent with this team over the years. This was nice on the eyes, even had we lost, and that is what I want to see. Skill was evident, patience and control seemed...uh...not like our typical game perhaps. Its hard to not think about how Jozy would have impacted the outcome, but none the less I am pleased at the performance. The only criticism I have for the game are the usual concerns, and that is our CB situation(and maybe a winger). Unfortunately, Hagglund is continually exposed and will cost the team valuable points. I am aware there is no other option(and Caldwell might not be either when he returns), but it could be the difference in making the playoffs, or not. Also, I think this formation and player selection(with Altidor) is the exact one we use every game possible! Everybody does what they should, and compliment each other perfectly! It was so obvious tonight. I wonder why(this is of course not common in football) Vanney would not have seen out the game with the starting roster. Might sound crazy, but when the matchup is working so well, and the boys are controlling the play, I think you stick with them! I saw a swing in possession, control and comfort once the subs were made, which tells me NE took advantage of the new match ups. They were subbed in the 80th minute...whats another 13 to see out the game! Oso played the best i've seen him as well!
    Anyways, sorry for making this so long, I just kept going!
    Welcome to the site! One small piece of friendly advice - might want to break up your thoughts into paragraphs in the future. Makes it a lot easier to read, than a block of text.

Again - welcome!