Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758
Results 1,711 to 1,738 of 1738
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    When you are in disagreement with Molinaro, KJ, and Larson, giving strong opinions without too much evidence will open you up to charges of being a "hater." That's not an attack on your character, that's a description that your position seems based on something other than the facts that you have advanced to bolster your position.

I think starter has a point that "hater" is too strong of a word, and I'll acknowledge that.
    This "explanation" is even more pathetic than the original post, if that's even possible.

You need to take a serious look in the mirror. I don't care who you are, or about what the journalists said, I watched that game, you took a legit, defensible argument, called it hate, called me a hater, now you are just throwing words together that make no sense around that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The plan was to counter attack, clearly. The two wide players in the setup act as pivots and absolutely have to be relied upon as outlets. Not everything can be channeled through a single striker.

I disagree about the getting past the fullback line. That's not true in this setup - they intentionally have to be more inside and combine with other forward players to be effective. This is a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 hybrid - not a 4-4-2.
    Actually it was a 4-5-1 that was played by TFC and it worked well. The two wingers did a lot of running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Actually it was a 4-5-1 that was played by TFC and it worked well. The two wingers did a lot of running.
    Which was just the defensive posture of the 4-3-3 where the two wide players slide back. No different than what was stated.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    It actually was quite interesting how the shape morphed when defensive duty was called for. There really was whole team defending going on, something I don't recall occurring too often in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will congratulate Vanney on a well coached game, but i hope we are not still playing dump and chase at the end of the season. I am sure this was plan B so I'm excited to see what our full on attack plan looks like.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, can we tone down the attacks and stuff in here? I don't want to start getting into the finer points of internet etiquette and slang. Lets everyone remember that its another human being at the other end of the keyboard.

Thanks
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Looking at this picture, the only thing I can see wrong is actually Irwin's positioning. He's in no-mans land. He's not going to ever get the ball, and now he is off his line. A header on target down the middle of the goal and its in the net. I don't see anything wrong with the marking and defending (the header is challenged, there are players guarding each goal post) but Irwin has made the wrong choice of whether to try and go for the ball or stay on his line on this occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Guys, can we tone down the attacks and stuff in here? I don't want to start getting into the finer points of internet etiquette and slang. Lets everyone remember that its another human being at the other end of the keyboard.

Thanks
    ^
    We agree Phil.
    J&M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we can all agree that NYRB had the lion's share of possession, but as mentioned, it resulted in no more than a couple of legitimate offensive opportunities. Could they have converted those chances on any given day? Sure, but we also could have converted a couple of other chances on the day. Seba hit the post and we didn't connect on several set pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread suuuuure has gone quiet.

We've lost the past two games, where have all the Vanney haters gone??!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we lose bad tomorrow...i think this thread will heat up again.
    and i think most people are more worried about the lawn at bmo then the results.
    Last edited by reggie; 04-08-2016 at 07:14 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I was skeptical of Vanney's ability as a head coach of this team at he beginning, I was never one to demand his head on a pike over the slightest questionable decision. And, so far this season, Vanney has this team playing tight and disciplined. TFC's record so far this year would be a lot better if it were not for the questionable calls by the refs. JMHO.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i still not sold on his so call new d style.one mistake one bad call and you lose.you still need to score the odd goal to win unless you go for the 0-0 benito win all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i still not sold on his so call new d style.one mistake one bad call and you lose.you still need to score the odd goal to win unless you go for the 0-0 benito win all the time.
    I realize his rationale, but the fact that the refs are calling everything like it's elementary school means we should play on the front foot all the time; we have pound-for-pound more technique and ability to hold onto the ball than any team in the league, so we should do it; make them foul us. I know it's not a possession league, but 100% pressure can't survive in the current officiating environment, so we should stop expecting it and stop playing counter all the time, even on the road.

We should surprise them tomorrw, come out hard on the front foot. We won't, but we should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont blame him...he is trying to save his job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we are playing well, but think back to Manning's interview last October when he kept Vanney on. It's bigger than just Vanney, it's Bez, it's the $100M spent on three players (most of which can't easily be recovered) ... you have to let this run. It's not 8 games either.

It frustrates me though. I think we are most likely a mediocre team, and looking at a restart this offseason.

But I vote to keep Vanney, in case I am wrong.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-08-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team has improved substantially. Just need Alti to start playing and performing and opening up space for Gio. Best TFC team that I have watched.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still not impressed playing defensively to keep goals against down to save his own (Vanney's) job, offensive play disappearing, losing 1 goal games isnt great either

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get the 4-4-2 today. Like, we've been good in the midfield with the 4-3-3 and covered the space between their forwards and their midfield well, which is where NER like to work. The 4-4-2 was slow slow slow.

That's on Vanney.

We did better in the first half when Seba went back a bit and it became a 4-4-1-1. And what Vanney said they needed to do, they did.

Crap first plan. Adjusted out of it. Subs made sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 points in 6 road games. Needless to say, Vanney's job is safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*crickets*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we change this to the "Vanney contract extension" thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Can we change this to the "Vanney contract extension" thread?

Please do.

This team is better then the sum of it's parts.

... FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#VanneyOut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Vanney's departure no longer appears to be a foregone conclusion, let's continue to evaluate him in a new thread:http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...62#post1791462