0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha, you could put almost anything into those bubbles, get to it people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    "By all accounts?"

Be serious son. Cashley's not coming to MLS. His agent has been floating this for three seasons now without success.
    sorry...but i had to quote this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My simple hope is that Vanney is STILL the manager by the end of this season. Anything less means another failure. Whether he should be the manager or if he is good enough are totally different questions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not share the view that yesterday's game was a tactical victory by Vanney, I find that way overblown, but I was gobsmacked by Endoh, and Bez/Vanney deserve massive kudos for that draft pick.

It is quite difficult to find MLS caliber starters once you get past the first few picks. We have seen a lot of Julius James' and Pat Phelans troop through here.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-07-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I do not share the view that yesterday's game was a tactical victory by Vanney,
    How did We not win the tactical battle yesterday?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not share the view that yesterday's game was a tactical victory by Vanney, I find that way overblown, but I was gobsmacked by Endoh, and Bez/Vanney deserve massive kudos for that draft pick.
    Two truisms apply here:

1. Football is a game of opinions.
    2. Haters will be haters

Personally I'm willing to give Vanney the win against NYRB. That's in line with pretty much every soccer analyst doing the Toronto beat. But you're perfectly entitled to your own opinion.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It reminded me a lot of last year's opener. The home side looked rusty and TFC had enough going on to take advantage.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... and KJ praises Vanney's astute tactics:

http://www.tsn.ca/tactical-look-at-h...bulls-1.449141
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is quite difficult to find MLS caliber starters once you get past the first few picks. We have seen a lot of Julius James' and Pat Phelans troop through here.
    Yep Pat Phelan after a six year pro career including four seasons with the Revs elected to retire to take a job in the financial services industry.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Two truisms apply here:

2. Haters will be haters

Personally I'm willing to give Vanney the win against NYRB. That's in line with pretty much every soccer analyst doing the Toronto beat. But you're perfectly entitled to your own opinion.
    im pretty sure its hate-a-s gonna hate

pff oldguys these days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Two truisms apply here:

2. Haters will be haters

IMO 'hater' is a too strong of a word here. Lower expectations should be in place, for yet another year.
    I think we should have looked for experience, similarly as one would screen for an experienced ( over freshly graduated ) surgeon, when it comes to, say, fixing your ACL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not share the view that yesterday's game was a tactical victory by Vanney.
    Hah, interesting how much our dislike for people can blind us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am half way there on the tactical performance of the game. We had a few scrambling moments but the defence held firm for the most part, so credit for that. We organized the team the way it should have been for a road performance. Substitutions made sense, no issue there other than maybe the first one should have come sooner.

On the downside Lovitz was an eyesore for most of the game and I feel we were a little bit lucky the number of mistakes he made didn't come back to haunt us. The forward three that started the game did not work as a unit at all in the first half.

So I give him some credit but would be cautious about calling it an outstanding performance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    It reminded me a lot of last year's opener. The home side looked rusty and TFC had enough going on to take advantage.
    TFC being sharper and "not rusty" is down to management including Vanney. Every point counts in a season and even in the first game a win can make a difference to the overall season. It may not be spectacular but having a fit squad ready for the season is equally as important as those subtle astute substitutions and tactical changes during a season. I'll give this victory to Vanney, 100%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh* Much as my belief in Vanney has somewhat wavered, this thread is always something of an embarrassing sight (obviously aware of the irony in my posting, here; held off for this long, anyway).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    My simple hope is that Vanney is STILL the manager by the end of this season. Anything less means another failure. Whether he should be the manager or if he is good enough are totally different questions.

I think we'd have to complete shit the bed for Vanney to be released, to be honest. I think the really club wants to see what can be done now that we've merged our offensive punch with a more well-rounded defense and will give everyone ample time to determine the result.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started this thread and I even I will say that Vanney did a good job from the sidelines Saturday. My only issue was starting Lovitz but what can you do with what we have.

That was a professional MLS away plan and it worked. It also wasn't a case of Seba saving our ass like what happened so many times on the road last year either. That was a fairly solid team game. Mistakes, for sure, but a lot less than usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has only one full season under his belt. He made mistakes last year but he also gained valuable experience in the process. If nothing else, the strategy implemented against NYRB illustrated that he is willing and able to adapt accordingly relative to the opponent. Let's hope his judgment is accurate more often than not the rest of the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Haters gonna hate." From a mod. That is pathetic.

You guys who seemingly can't tolerate a legit conversation about this are not acknowledging reality. They shelled us for long stretches of the game, and if one of those wide open misses goes in, we'd be having a very different discussion.

Vanney didn't screw up. We won. But I'll wait five or ten more games before I declare what we saw some sort of strategic genius. That was risky in the extreme. Taking risks like that doesn't often work out over time.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They did not "shell" us. I don't consider one shot on target in a whole match to be a shelling. That's taking credit away from the strong defensive performance and attributing the win to being lucky enough that they couldn't finish.

They had one legit chance, Sam's rising shot over the bar from inside the box after a one-two to get in. Everything else we were able to put enough pressure to throw them off, or snuff out the move before it came to anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    They did not "shell" us. I don't consider one shot on target in a whole match to be a shelling. That's taking credit away from the strong defensive performance and attributing the win to being lucky enough that they couldn't finish.

They had one legit chance, Sam's rising shot over the bar from inside the box after a one-two to get in. Everything else we were able to put enough pressure to throw them off, or snuff out the move before it came to anything.
    Lots of rose coloured glasses around here. I'm glad we won, but jeez, this is ... wow. Did I miss something, is this the thread only for people who watched the TFC highlights or something?

Zubar missed a free header in the first half. Grella and BWP screwed up a wide open net. Plus multiple other good sequences.

Before we scored, the count on dangerous moves was something like 8-2 for NY. We were completely outplayed between the 15th and 75th minutes.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-08-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of rose coloured glasses around here. I'm glad we won, but jeez, this is ... wow. Did I miss something, is this the thread only for people who watched the TFC highlights or something?

Zubar missed a free header in the first half. Grella and BWP screwed up a wide open net. Plus multiple other good sequences.

Before we scored, the count on dangerous moves was something like 8-2 for NY. We were completely outplayed between the 15th and 75th minutes.
    I agree with you 100%. We were outplayed for most of the game and very lucky to pick up the win. It's laughable to say vanney got us the result with his tactics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But we didn't break and fold like in the past. We were more solid and composed. Was it tactical mastery? No, but it was a game plan that kept us in the match against a team in a place where we usually get our asses handed to us. Previously, Vanney would have said "We do our own style and impose our game on them". Then we'd get dusted and repeat the same cycle. The interesting thing will be what happens going forward. Adaptability or is this the new style that we will never change from. Time will tell.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh PLEASE. You want to watch outplayed in MLS last weekend, go see LAG vs. DCU in the second half.

They ran the ball across the top of the box and didn't penetrate. They had one chance per half - at home.

Most importantly, the vaunted full NYRB press DID NOT WORK. They tried, and failed. Do you think that didn't happen because of tactics?!?!?!?!

Pah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    I agree with you 100%. We were outplayed for most of the game and very lucky to pick up the win. It's laughable to say vanney got us the result with his tactics.
    Right. it was Robin Fraser's tactics.